GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

@tiutso Yeah, I saw that. Sad, but not surprising. The same thing happened with Meegan. There are always a few sick individuals who have nothing better to do with their time than bullying others. I mean I don't particularly care for Grace's band or her singing or whatever either, but that's no reason to be nasty to her.

Btw, did you already read Tracii's book? Any interesting stories to tell?

@annablue That's cool. I don't actually have these, I just found the scans somewhere on the internet (I was a baby or something when these came out, so unforuntately I have zero actual stuff from back in the day...)

@MillionsOfSpiders Thanks for sharing that interview! I had never seen it before either. Some interesting stuff in there.

I had no idea his relationship with Michelle lasted this long either. But yeah, yet another person in the endless list of women Axl screwed around with while officially dating Erin/Steph  :rolleyes::facepalm:

Random small things that stood out to me:

- Axl constantly singing her new songs over the phone. Cute.

- I'm glad to hear Axl was never violent with her, but the way she describes it he still sounds fucking exhausting to live with. All the "hissy fits and tantrums" as she called it and him being sweet and loving one moment and a jerk the next

- The author says "Everyone has heard rumors of Axl supposedly being bipolar or at least having some kind of childhood post traumatic stress disorder." But that's actually the first time ever that I've seen the childhood-related PTSD thing mentioned in an article or interview about Axl. The only place I've ever seen this brought up was here on this board. Usually it's just bipolar/manic-depressive, crazy or simply an asshole when it comes to journalists and magazines. You can tell that the guy talked to a lot of people who know/knew Axl.

- She says Axl doesn't (didn't) drive and she constantly drove him everywhere? But Axl does have a driver's license because Izzy said they did driver's Ed together and there's enough pictures/videos of him driving cars, soo...

My best guess is Axl maybe doesn't like to drive and that's why he let's people like Michelle (or now Beta etc) drive him everywhere. Also I have heard at least two people (one of these being Izzy) say that Axl is an absolutely terrible driver. :lol: I can absolutely believe that, considering both his temper and that he tends to be in his own head a lot, and also easily distracted. Tbh, I would be scared to get into a car with Axl driving :nervous::P

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

My best guess is Axl maybe doesn't like to drive and that's why he let's people like Michelle (or now Beta etc) drive him everywhere. Also I have heard at least two people (one of these being Izzy) say that Axl is an absolutely terrible driver. I can absolutely believe that, considering both his temper and that he tends to be in his own head a lot, and also easily distracted. Tbh, I would be scared to get into a car with Axl driving :nervous::P

Yes.

That's the reason why I don't drive either. I don't have the temper a responsible driver needs, especially when you live in a major city or metropolis.

:unsure:

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

He could still be with her and have children with that beauty if he had not been such an asshole wanting all the women in the world for him.

Now he complains about his sad sad love life.

Well, that's what you made of it Axl :rolleyes:

Yeah. I admit I'm not Erin biggest fan but I prefer her over the other Axl's women.

She seems nice and was always caring towards Axl and he treated her like shit.<_<

30 minutes ago, tiutso said:

I'm skinny enough to have been bullied for looking like a skeleton my entire life and yet I still have cellulite everywhere where I have the littlest amount of fat :max: Hurray for shitty blood circulation.

I haven't and I won't 'cause I didn't find any way to pirate it, and I'm not gonna buy it or anything :lol:
I just stumbled upon some lengthy quotes is all. Gonna put 'em under spoiler; they've been discussed in some older thread before, don't wanna clog it up.

Reveal hidden contents

"When Izzy joined London, we started doing a lot of shows together, as we were all supposedly friends. I am still friends with Nadir, which is weird. But Axl had seen Nadir detune my guitars before we went on, or so he claimed. But, sure enough, when I went to put my guitar on that night it was out of tune. I put the next guitar on – it was out of tune as well. So when we went on stage, Axl ripped up a London poster. There is a photo of this in Marc Canter’s book. That was the beginning of all hell breaking loose between those two. Axl and Izzy were kind of humble guys, but growing up they had their share of street fights. So just because they were on the quiet side, didn’t mean that they wouldn’t whip somebody’s butt. On the flip side, Nadir was a really tough guy. He had been in and out of jail, and was a pretty tough kid. A lot of the time I would pick up Axl from work at Tower Video, and a few times Nadir was waiting for Axl outside. They would have these quick little battles, then Nadir would run off. One day, Nadir was waiting outside with a gun! Axl is a tough motherfucker, man. He picked up a broken street sign and just whacked Nadir with it! As far as I know, that was the last time they tangled."

"... then, all of a sudden, I noticed that Axl was like talking a lot in between songs. You know like we'd play, and then he'd talk to the crowd for like five minutes in between a couple of songs. And that kind of evolved to the point where me and Izzy, you know, really provided a lot of direction, and, you know trying to like keep this thing right, and just rock'n'roll, and just fun, you know? And he was like: No, the people need to -- you know, they like it, you know? So like: Okay -- whatever, you know? But it kept getting worse and worse and worse. And then he started hanging out with Michelle Young, And that's what that song "My Michelle"'s about, is about this girl. The two last shows that I did, we do sound check, and Axl shows up kinda late -- and he flips out. He's like: Tracii, motherfucker. You know, Michelle -- you know, Michelle Young's name isn't on the guest list. I'm like: Oh, well, I put it on there. And I did, you know? I was just like: What's this guy's trip? But he really, you know, fucked up the gig for me, 'cause I was like not into it. You know, I was like: Oh, this sucks. You know, this guy's all pissed off, and now he's dictating to the 150 people that are here, you know"

" Axl kind of disappeared for a week in between two weekends of shows. I don’t know what he was doing. Maybe I thought I knew what he was doing, but I’m not going to assume what he was doing. He had called Izzy before sound check on the first night of two shows, and he told Izzy, “Tell Tracii to make sure that Michelle Young is on the guest list.” She was a friend of ours. So he showed up at sound check at 4:00 pm, and there was no guest list turned in. He went bananas on everybody. We were all like, “Jesus Christ, who is this guy?” It certainly wasn’t like Axl. It was a different person. I remember that we had a really good show that night – the place was packed. I remember Izzy and I starring across the stage at each other thinking, “What the fuck?” The vibe was just all dark and weird. The next night was the first time that Axl ever showed up late! (laughs). He really didn’t show up late, he just showed up at the last minute. After the show, I remember driving home with Duff. We were talking about how all of the fighting within the band wasn’t fun for anybody. The next week, I just stopped going to rehearsal. Axl would call me screaming and yelling, and thenIzzy would get on the phone in a more calm voice and try to reason with me. I just wanted to have a good time. I was only 18 or 19 at the time. The band had turned into the podium for Axl to speak on stage, which is a great place to speak your mind, but the other four guys on stage wanted to play our songs. We were to the point where we were playing six songs a night rather than 12. We were definitely a tight knit unit. Nobody fucked with us when we were L.A. Guns, or Guns N’ Roses. It was like, “Fuck you, this is our way. This is how we do it.” Eventually we had the “Fuck you, it’s my way” attitude within the band. (laughs). That is when I left and Slash came in."

lol yeah I know cellulite is not exclusive of fat or slim bodies but well, you know, it finds its way easier if you harbor whatever amount of fat in your body :unsure:

Those quotes are really cool! thank you for that!

Axl is always the crazy one but he's a damn consistent crazy motherfucker. Loved the description of him being tough, facing a guy with gun by grabbing some broken street sign and hitting the guy with it :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

That's a very mature letter minus the misspelled name, it's good that he acknowledged his own faults but he knows that it wasn't the only problem and they should have talked before, the drawings are nice, i like them.

• Like 1

lol from clicking on @Lumikki's link to Slash's letter to Michelle, I jumped and jumped through links, ended up on Axl's Wikipedia page and noticed an added paragraph in the last part. It is about his health and this is something I have not read before! :wow:

Have any of  you?

It comes from this article:  "Guns N' Roses From The Inside An exclusive report by Lonn M. Friend " - RIP Magazine 1992
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=9

- "14 Years"

"I've had a mutated form of polio, a mutated form of rubelia, the swine flu, scarlet fever, and strep throat in my heart."

I sit slack-jawed on a dressing-room sofa in Washington, D.C., as Axl lists some of his past and present health problems. No wonder things don't always run like clockwork on the GN'R concert trail!

"It's mostly respiratory stuff," he continues. "Air conditioners in hotels circulate the same air, and on the plane everyone's breathing the same air. So if anyone's got anything, my tonsils grab it. I'm chronic like that. That's one of the reasons I've never liked touring. My resistance is low in my tonsils. I also found out it is supposedly some kind of mental thing having to do with me punishing myself for expressing myself. For 20 years of my life I was beaten by my parents for expressing myself, so part of me believes I should be punished for that expression. I do this by lowering my own resistance. Turn that around, and there you have it - self punishment. Other than that, I'm pretty healthy."

He's still got that :(

Always blowing his nose on stage, my poor thing....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, killuridols said:

lol from clicking on @Lumikki's link to Slash's letter to Michelle, I jumped and jumped through links, ended up on Axl's Wikipedia page and noticed an added paragraph in the last part. It is about his health and this is something I have not read before! :wow:

Have any of  you?

It comes from this article:  "Guns N' Roses From The Inside An exclusive report by Lonn M. Friend " - RIP Magazine 1992
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=9

He's still got that :(

Always blowing his nose on stage, my poor thing....

Oh my god, me too with the tonsils, it's really a pain in the ass, i totally got it, i have always handkerchiefs on me because of that

Edited by giuls

5 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@killuridols Nope, never seen that either. Nice find :thumbsup:

hehe, casual find :P

But this is the saddest part, isn't it?

I also found out it is supposedly some kind of mental thing having to do with me punishing myself for expressing myself. For 20 years of my life I was beaten by my parents for expressing myself, so part of me believes I should be punished for that expression. I do this by lowering my own resistance. Turn that around, and there you have it - self punishment

When he says he found out, I guess it has to do with what those loonies he was seeing at the time told him in the regression therapy or whatever.

Not sure what to believe... of course, if he says his parents were repressing him, must be true but the other thing, his body reacting to it and the self punishment... maybe, maybe not :unsure:

• Like 1

At Rumbo, Steven would nod out to the point where he would be on a stool, but his head would be touching the floor. He'd say, 'I'm tired. I'm sleepy,' and he couldn't play. That was basically it. We gave him so many chances to turn around. We took him to Indiana, to play Farm Aid, and he jumps on the drum riser and almost breaks his f?!king neck.

LMAO:rofl-lol:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

hehe, casual find :P

When he says he found out, I guess it has to do with what those loonies he was seeing at the time told him in the regression therapy or whatever.

Not sure what to believe... of course, if he says his parents were repressing him, must be true but the other thing, his body reacting to it and the self punishment... maybe, maybe not :unsure:

Nah, I don't believe that bit either. Maybe something Axl was told medically, he's had lots of these bouts of tonsillitis. If he went to the dr for antibiotics enough they're bound to have investigated why he kept getting it. 

He perhaps told the loony therapist and they came up with that :facepalm: 

I don't get why he believes stuff like that shit, I really don't. For someone with his supposed intelligence he is extremely gullible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Its fucked up to pick on Duffs daughters. If they don't like the music, just don't listen. I don't care if they come from a privileged background or whatever. Bullying is bullying!! 

I agree. What the fuck is wrong with people? There's so much harassment and bullying online, and they're going after a teenage girl with death threats?!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how low people can go...a while back there was a 5 year old Disney actress who was getting some pretty vile death threats online, and I've heard of women having major issues in life because they've been harassed so heavily online. The Internet apparently brings out every monster there is.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Nah, I don't believe that bit either. Maybe something Axl was told medically, he's had lots of these bouts of tonsillitis. If he went to the dr for antibiotics enough they're bound to have investigated why he kept getting it. 

He perhaps told the loony therapist and they came up with that :facepalm: 

I don't get why he believes stuff like that shit, I really don't. For someone with his supposed intelligence he is extremely gullible. 

Intelligent but emotionally vulnerable...and doctors are notoriously bad at picking up chronic illness.

There's that whole school of thought that thinking positive influences your health, that you can "think" or pray your way to health and that if you're sick, you've brought it on yourself with negative thoughts and actions...it's complete bullshit and unfortunately it's very harmful bullshit because people listen to it.

• Like 3

@killuridols I've actually read that entire article before, but it sheds even more light on why he was so miserable during the UYI tour. From this and other things I've read you get the impression he was constantly sick. Add to that all his emotional/psychological issues and yeah, not fun at all.

From personal experience I'd say he should get his tonsils removed. I used to constantly get all these shitty illnesses as well, but then I had my tonsils removed and I haven't had anything like that in over 15 years. I never even need tissues or anything like that (except when I have a cold, which happens maybe once a year). I know this procedure is much more unpleasant for adults than children and some doctors disagree with it nowadays I think, but it worked miracles for me and a few other people I know. Worth considering at least, I guess.

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, it definitely sounds like something these people would have told him. But on the other hand this kind of thing is not completely baseless at least. Psychosomatic illnesses are quite real after all. The way he presents it seems far-fetched though. No one there to punish him anymore so he punishes himself by getting all these diseases? Meh. Maybe his mental issues contribute a little and made/make his immune system weaker in general, but I'd say it's mostly the recycled air in planes and hotels that's to blame, plus contact with tons of different people and weak tonsils prone to diseases.

Also I really hope he was speaking hyperbolically/exaggerating when he said his parents beat him for 20 years. :scared::scared:

Obviously beating children is horrible and wrong, but I find the thought of him still getting beaten as a teenger or young adult very disturbing as well. Disturbing in a different way maybe.

In my experience even parents who use physcial discipline with their children usually stop that shit when their children are around 12-14 years old. The thought of a parent discipling/beating a 16 year old or an 18 year old or whatever is really frightening to me.

52 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I've said that before and was attacked by some people for it. Axl's done and said a lot of things that make him come across as either really, really gullible or really, really desperate/scared. I don't know which one I'd prefer, but it makes me doubt his often cited intelligence as well. At least in that regard. Vulnerable and desperate or not, but just a minimum amount of common sense really would have gone a long way. The only way I can kind of make sense of it is if I consider his fear of actual psychiatrists/hospitals that we recently discussed in combination with the time that most of this craziness happened in. I figure it was a lot harder in the early 90s than it is now to ascertain if something was bullshit or not. Plus, he had no familial support system or anything. One thing that often strikes me when I read stuff about Duff (or even Slash or Izzy) are the instances where their family members stepped in and took them aside when they saw things heading in the wrong direction or thought something was shady. Axl didn't have anything like that, but a lot of sycophants and predators around him instead :wacko:

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

@killuridols I've actually read that entire article before, but it sheds even more light on why he was so miserable during the UYI tour. From this and other things I've read you get the impression he was constantly sick. Add to that all his emotional/psychological issues and yeah, not fun at all.

From personal experience I'd say he should get his tonsils removed. I used to constantly get all these shitty illnesses as well, but then I had my tonsils removed and I haven't had anything like that in over 15 years. I never even need tissues or anything like that (except when I have a cold, which happens maybe once a year). I know this procedure is much more unpleasant for adults than children and some doctors disagree with it nowadays I think, but it worked miracles for me and a few other people I know. Worth considering at least, I guess.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like something these people would have told him. But on the other hand this kind of thing is not completely baseless at least. Psychosomatic illnesses are quite real after all. The way he presents it seems far-fetched though. No one there to punish him anymore so he punishes himself by getting all these diseases? Meh. Maybe his mental issues contribute a little and made/make his immune system weaker in general, but I'd say it's mostly the recycled air in planes and hotels that's to blame, plus contact with tons of different people and weak tonsils prone to diseases.

Also I really hope he was speaking hyperbolically/exaggerating when he said his parents beat him for 20 years. :scared::scared:

Obviously beating children is horrible and wrong, but I find the thought of him still getting beaten as a teenger or young adult very disturbing as well. Disturbing in a different way maybe.

In my experience even parents who use physcial discipline with their children usually stop that shit when their children are around 12-14 years old. The thought of a parent discipling/beating a 16 year old or an 18 year old or whatever is really frightening to me.

I've said that before and was attacked by some people for it. Axl's done and said a lot of things that make him come across as either really, really gullible or really, really desperate/scared. I don't know which one I'd prefer, but it makes me doubt his often cited intelligence as well. At least in that regard. Vulnerable and desperate or not, but just a minimum amount of common sense really would have gone a long way. The only way I can kind of make sense of it is if I consider his fear of actual psychiatrists/hospitals that we recently discussed in combination with the time that most of this craziness happened in. I figure it was a lot harder in the early 90s than it is now to ascertain if something was bullshit or not. Plus, he had no familial support system or anything. One thing that often strikes me when I read stuff about Duff (or even Slash or Izzy) are the instances where their family members stepped in and took them aside when they saw things heading in the wrong direction or thought something was shady. Axl didn't have anything like that, but a lot of sycophants and predators around him instead :wacko:

I think that there are a lot of different types of intelligence - someone who is intellectually gifted, for instance, might not be socially intelligent. There are all those super-smart people who seem to have absolutely no social or emotional intelligence whatsoever (read some of the accounts of Mensa gatherings sometimes, for instance...they actually had to develop a "dot system" because there were so many people at their annual gatherings who were invading others' personal space and hugging others without their consent. You'd think someone who was smart enough to be in Mensa would be smart enough to know that you don't just go up to a stranger and put your hands on them, but that wasn't the case.

And it has also been said that a lot of people who fall into cults are very intelligent. Again, you'd think they'd be able to question what they're being told and come to a conclusion that it's harmful, but no. Like that Heaven's Gate cult who were all computer genuises, and committed suicide because they thought they were going to hitch a ride on a comet.

So I think that being intelligent doesn't always equate with being smart, savvy or able to parse the bullshit from the truth.

I think with Axl, one of the issues is that he was raised in a system where he was not allowed to question things. He had to accept what he was told as fact - stuff that was not readily verifiable - and it was hammered into his head in a very authoritative way. He was beaten and punished for speaking his mind or disagreeing, and he was thrown out of his house for it. I think on some level that sticks with someone, even if they do the work later on. And that was a very sheltered life as well, probably - if you've ever met a kid from a very religious household, they don't have a lot of street savvy.

And I think another issue is that he's been very emotionally vulnerable, and really wants to fix what he feels is wrong, and he's searching desperately for solutions, and that leads to trouble and getting taken in a lot of the time. Add that to a fear or aversion to doctors, and yeah, the quacks were just waiting for him.

With the tonsils, yeah, it sounds like they might need to go. I also had issues with my tonsils, and when they were gone, I felt so much better. I've heard it's one of those surgeries where unfortunately the pendulum has swung from one extreme to the other - back in the day they used to grab kids' tonsils at the slightest provocation, and now they're so conservative about it that they wait too long and refuse to operate even when people really do need tonsillectomies.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tiutso said:

His suppression of self-expression couldn't inflame his tonsils, but depressive and anxiety disorders could chronically affect your immune system in a very dramatic way.

Yes, that's true :unsure: <---

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

I think that surgery is pretty common among children but this is from 1992 so we don't know if he had them removed. Maybe he didn't want to have them removed for fear of it affecting his voice. He's a professional singer, he can't afford to fuck up his throat. Again, we know nothing about it since then.

Yeah, I think psychosomatic illnesses do exist but they are not entirely a result of stress. It's like what @tiutso said before... you are depressed and you become more vulnerable to diseases, probably because when you are depressed you dont take care of yourself. It happens to me a lot, you know how I'm oftenly :unsure: and because of that sometimes I go out and catch the flu because I'm wearing a tshirt on winter and I dont realize it is cold outside, I'm supposed to wear sweaters and boots but I don't do it because I don't care, because I live in cloud 9 or am too much into my own world.

You mentioned "contact with tons of different people" and that reminded me of him getting laid with all these women who are not Erin <_<... So yeah, being promiscous gives you tons of diseases, so deal with it Axl, blame it on the parents but he won't blame his own lack of care in the sexual aspect.

Hmm I know parents who have chastised their kids until kids were teenagers so it is not so crazy what he is saying but at the same time, I find it hard to believe because he was already rebellious and I know any kid would rebel against his father or mother if they tried to beat them up. Some kids have murdered their own parents in self-defense, so I dont know. Maybe he was talking in a figurative sense? like the parents not supporting him with what he wanted to express?

42 minutes ago, stella said:

I think that there are a lot of different types of intelligence - someone who is intellectually gifted, for instance, might not be socially intelligent. There are all those super-smart people who seem to have absolutely no social or emotional intelligence whatsoever (read some of the accounts of Mensa gatherings sometimes, for instance...they actually had to develop a "dot system" because there were so many people at their annual gatherings who were invading others' personal space and hugging others without their consent. You'd think someone who was smart enough to be in Mensa would be smart enough to know that you don't just go up to a stranger and put your hands on them, but that wasn't the case.

And it has also been said that a lot of people who fall into cults are very intelligent. Again, you'd think they'd be able to question what they're being told and come to a conclusion that it's harmful, but no. Like that Heaven's Gate cult who were all computer genuises, and committed suicide because they thought they were going to hitch a ride on a comet.

So I think that being intelligent doesn't always equate with being smart, savvy or able to parse the bullshit from the truth.

I think with Axl, one of the issues is that he was raised in a system where he was not allowed to question things. He had to accept what he was told as fact - stuff that was not readily verifiable - and it was hammered into his head in a very authoritative way. He was beaten and punished for speaking his mind or disagreeing, and he was thrown out of his house for it. I think on some level that sticks with someone, even if they do the work later on. And that was a very sheltered life as well, probably - if you've ever met a kid from a very religious household, they don't have a lot of street savvy.

And I think another issue is that he's been very emotionally vulnerable, and really wants to fix what he feels is wrong, and he's searching desperately for solutions, and that leads to trouble and getting taken in a lot of the time. Add that to a fear or aversion to doctors, and yeah, the quacks were just waiting for him.

This is true. I am one of those types who excelled at school but a disaster with social skills :unsure:

There's something else about Axl that I'm not sure if you guys are taking into consideration. He is described as extremely intelligent and talented for music, his singing, songwriting, etc. but the guy didn't receive a lot of education. He dropped high school, so even when you're super intelligent and smart, if you don't study, if you don't read, your potential just goes wasted.

It's not like you are born with a high IQ and you don't need to study because of that. You're not born a genius knowing it all. Like with everything, you need to put some effort. And I think lack of formal education plays a big part in people not being able to distinguish right from wrong and believing the kind of things Axl believes in.

I always thought Axl would be skeptical kind but if he didn't question authority then he's not there. When you're skeptical (i am extremely skeptical) you don't believe in what people tell you until you can collect a bunch of clues or information that you find satisfactory enough to believe in something.

Sounds like any looney could tell him something was the way it was and he would believe it, taking the word of that person as sacred word. Like the time he wanted that guy who "could move the planets" or I dont know what BS that guy was supposed to do :facepalm: and he was fascinated with it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

I've said that before and was attacked by some people for it. Axl's done and said a lot of things that make him come across as either really, really gullible or really, really desperate/scared. I don't know which one I'd prefer, but it makes me doubt his often cited intelligence as well. At least in that regard. Vulnerable and desperate or not, but just a minimum amount of common sense really would have gone a long way. The only way I can kind of make sense of it is if I consider his fear of actual psychiatrists/hospitals that we recently discussed in combination with the time that most of this craziness happened it. I figure it was a lot harder in the early 90s than it is now to ascertain if something was bullshit or not. Plus, he had no familal support system or anything. One thing that often strikes me when I read stuff about Duff (or even Slash or Izzy) are the instances where their family members stepped in and took them aside when they saw things heading in the wrong direction or thought something was shady. Axl didn't have anything like that, but a lot of sycophants and predators around him instead :wacko:

58 minutes ago, tiutso said:

Do people ever explain what made his intelligence obvious to them? Or is it just generalized?

Slash in his book has described Axl as super-intellingent. From the context I think that by intelligence he meant charisma, creativity, ability to learn fast and to have an intelligent conversation.

As @stella said, these qualities don't necessarily mean that the person is smart.

This is from an article that contains excerpts from a book on Shannon Hoon:

Shelley Shaw: I got a job working for the head of worldwide music at I.C.M. [International Creative Management]. I knew a lot of acts; I’d traveled, and got to meet the managers. I’d been to L.A. a lot and I had a core of friends there-somehow I met Guns N’ Roses.
Over the years-from ‘87 to ‘91-Axl and I became really good friends. It’s really hectic for people to go through that kind of growth through the public eye and be famous...and be 25. Axl had a ‘seen it all/done it all’ reputation- but on a lot of levels, he was really naive. So there was a lot to go through-I was the same way, so we got along really good. We were really close. I remember he said a friend of his in high school had rung him up- her little brother was going to L.A. to try and make it in music, and would he keep an eye out. That was Anna, Shannon’s sister.

Even Axl himself has said that in some occasions he had been naive (for example when he wrote One In A Million) and he understood it later.

Shelley Shaw must have been the friend who watched over Axl when he was living in the studio and feeling suicidal:

Shelley Shaw: In 1990, it was the holidays-I think that’s when [Axl] had been through a really quick divorce with Erin. He was sad and living at the studio-he was in a really bad way. I remember Shannon looked after him and stayed there with him. But he was like, “I’ve got to go home to Indiana to see my family on Christmas Eve.” Somehow, he got a hold of me-I still hadn’t talked to [Shannon]-"I’ve got to go, and I heard you might come in. This is what’s going on.”
I kind of took over, and then when I left, he came back. We were like ‘ships in the night’-it was really weird. When I got there, [Axl] was sleeping a lot and going out to eat-there was no recording going on. He was just living there and he had a lot to say. It was more like Axl always needed somebody- he loved to sit and friggin’ filibuster. They were doing the sessions for ‘Use Your Illusion,’ and I remember Axl was like, “My voice just isn’t there for these high bits-I’ve got to get somebody in there to help.” So he brought in Shannon to see if he could do some things.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, killuridols said:

There's something else about Axl that I'm not sure if you guys are taking into consideration. He is described as extremely intelligent and talented for music, his singing, songwriting, etc. but the guy didn't receive a lot of education. He dropped high school, so even when you're super intelligent and smart, if you don't study, if you don't read, your potential just goes wasted.

It's not like you are born with a high IQ and you don't need to study because of that. You're not born a genius knowing it all. Like with everything, you need to put some effort. And I think lack of formal education plays a big part in people not being able to distinguish right from wrong and believing the kind of things Axl believes in.

I always thought Axl would be skeptical kind but if he didn't question authority then he's not there. When you're skeptical (i am extremely skeptical) you don't believe in what people tell you until you can collect a bunch of clues or information that you find satisfactory enough to believe in something.

Sounds like any looney could tell him something was the way it was and he would believe it, taking the word of that person as sacred word. Like the time he wanted that guy who "could move the planets" or I dont know what BS that guy was supposed to do :facepalm: and he was fascinated with it...

What you said kinda reminded me of an Izzy quote: "And this guy, he’s not a Harvard graduate, Axl. He’s just a guy, just a little guy, who sings, is talented."

Yes, education is a factor, but not a major one imo. Slash and Duff were high-school dropouts as well, but they didn't believe in such things. In Axl's case, it was more the social environment he was brought up in and that believing this kind of stuff was a refuge for him, given his problems.