GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

5 hours ago, Frey said:

Yes, in old interviews Axl usually does tend to come across as the most articulate and intelligent one. But how is that a fair comparison when he was also the only clean one? Not to mention also a few years older than Duff and Slash for example. Who knows what Duff and Slash would have sounded like if they had been both clean and the same age as Axl. Also I have to say that Slash at least manages to be quite articulate and intelligent even in a lot of old interviews, especially for guy high on god knows what.

Agree with you on that :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Doesn't Richard have a huge tattoo on his back of Kali? I think that is Hindu, I don't know, they all believe in reincarnation too :D I think it all probably means nothing, at the end of the day. 

Kali's a Hindu goddess, yes. They're totally different religious, although what's interesting is that in Hinduism they acknowledge Buddha as being an incarnation of Vishnu. The frustrating thing is that so many people appropriate religious symbols or use them for fashion that one never knows if it's just a fashion statement or a marker of a true belief.

6 hours ago, killuridols said:

Ok, once again highlighting what I want to address... here I go! FIRE! :headbang:

The things you mention as dumb or poor decisions on his part I don't think they have to do with being intelligent or not. They are mostly related to his mental state, his psychological problems and all the shit we know. Also with being unexperienced, young and naive. Let's be honest here, who has not made a mistake regarding money before? especially when you are making your own and if you earn above the average, it is quite common to not know what to do with all of it in the beginning. Then you learn, if you ever learn. But not everybody comes from a wealthy family or has been taught the importance of having savings, making investments, etc.

In one of those famous Rolling Stone interviews from the 90's that some of the girls posted here before, Axl spoke about what it was like to pass from being poor to being rich and the advice he'd give to people:

Doesn't sound like he is clueless about business. Both Duff and Slash talk in their respective books about not knowing how to deal with the amounts of money they were making from GN'R in the 90's and how they lost a lot of money because they were either being taken advantaged of or were spending too much, etc.

All the other things you mention as crazy, dumb stuff that makes no sense... well, it makes no sense because none of us has that priviledge. We are talking about people who are "rare" in this world and by that I mean, out of the billions of humans that populate this world, how many are as wealthy as the guys in Guns N' Roses? Probably 1% and maybe that's too much...

What I'm trying to say is that I understand where you're coming from when you talk about making poor or dumb decisions about his life, but you also have to take into consideration the context. I think it is quite normal for the rest of the universe who are not priviledge humans like GN'R, to learn as fast as we enter adulthood about how to make a living, keep a job, start savings, buying a house, etc. You are forced to make "intelligent" decisions in your life because there isn't other choice, because we can't afford to throw pianos out the window, or rent a luxury aparment and do not inhabit it; most of us can't afford a life of waste and abundance, so we learn to make smart moves or face the fact of living in the street. On the other hand, you have people like Axl who could do this and do not face serious consequences in his life. The guy will never be poor, that's the truth. No matter how many mistakes or unintelligent decisions he makes about his money, that guy will not end up in the street, unlike me, who as part of the unpriviledged 99% of the population, I WILL end up in the street if I don't make good decisions regarding money, employement, etc. There is no salvation for me, there isn't a choice.

I'd like to know why you say Axl is particulary business unsavy and what is the proof for it? The exccentricities you've mentioned are not proof of him becoming poorer because of them :shrugs: If we give any credit to those Fortune or Forbes statistics people always bring up here, Axl's net worth is of $150 million dollars and Duff and Slash are way below that number, so how come they are supposed to be more business savy than Axl? And finally, how in the hell would any of us know what Axl does with his money? We don't know, we are not his accountants or the bank that keeps his millions, but there are no reports of him going bankrupt either so I think it is safe to assume he's doing pretty fine.

Now, if we want to talk about dumb decisions, how about we talk drugs? alcohol? Were Slash or Duff incredibly intelligent for choosing to be drunk, drugged for most part of their youth? How about Slash marrying Perla? Was that a smart choice? :lol: Seriously, if we're gonna talk about Axl's intelligence we shouldn't be mixing intelligence with emotional problems or decision making whatever.. It has nothing to do with that. People are human and humans make mistakes, even Stephen Hawkins and the likes of him.

---------

I didn't say Axl's writting was a sign of his intelligence or above average intelligence (because we all have a degree of intelligence), I said the way he writes demonstrates he's developed an unique style which is a sign of his creativity. Convoluted or whatever you want to call it, it is recognizable out of any other artist style and this fact is what differentiates him from Duff, whose writting shows no signs of uniqueness and it is not recognizable from a pool of similar writers if you were not indicated such writings belonged to him.

---------

Why is the 'Oh My God' statement a typical example of Axl's pseudo-intellectual "babbling"? :rolleyes:

Can you please elaborate your conclusion?

Yes, I acknowledged that a lot of the dumb stuff he does might be blamed on mental illness/emotional issues in my reply to @stella. But until he gives some more in depth interviews or writes an autobiography, we just don't know what's going on his mind right now or what was going on in his mind when he did all that dumb stuff. Also he wasn't unexperiened and naive when he did a lot of these things (or was still doing these things). He was around or over 40 years old.

As for Axl being business unsavy, I agree with  @Blackstar. The fact that he can afford to lose money doesn't mean that he's good at business. The reason he can even afford that in the first place is pure luck. Obviously Axl is a talented individual and a great singer and performer, but so are millions of other people out there who never make it. Axl was just incredibly lucky to be in the right place at the right time and also incredibly lucky to have found the right people he needed (all of the guys in the band are incredibly lucky in that regard). And yeah, there's also the issue of his dumb decisions not just affecting himself, but also other people involved.

Axl himself said he was bad with money or an accountant's worst nightmare or something like that in a recent-ish interview. An Eddie Trunk one maybe?

As for Slash and Duff making dumb decisons, yeah, they did. But people (including me) are more inclined to overlook dumb decisions made by young people, because it's usually their age that's causing them and most of them tend to grow out of it. And Slash and Duff did too. They both started to get their shit together in the early-mid 90s (Duff moreso than Slash). Izzy did the same even earlier. It's only Axl who's never displayed any real growth or increasing maturity in all these years since (well and Steven, but that's a different topic). Axl's only started to show what appears to be maturity and a drastic change in his behavior very, very recently. And I'm glad, I really am. He's impressed me with the way he's been acting and handling things as of late. But part of me has a hard time really believing it and is still waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak.

About Oh My God, it's like @tiutso said. It sounds like someone trying too hard to appear intelligent. Full of unnecessarily complex sentence structures and words, and all to express a concept that isn't actually that complex to express.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Axl wasn't completely clean until 1989; he occasionally did cocaine. He was also taking meds. And, of course, he smoked a lot of pot. Regardless, Axl didn't need drugs to screw his mind, he was messed up on his own. And yes, Axl did insane things, but he hasn't been exactly "normal", has he? People like that, who are also artists, are the "artistic type", meaning that they are creative and have some types of intelligence, but they don't act "reasonably".

What I wanted to say about the lyrics is that Axl may not be Dylan, Lennon, etc. (no one in his/her right mind would claim that, even Axl's biggest fan), but there are a lot of others (not just Izzy) who he can be compared to for what he does as a rock 'n' roll lyricist. It's like saying that the X band is not The Beatles, but has qualities which make it a good band. And I wouldn't use the word "saves" for authenticity and honesty. It's an important quality for rock 'n' roll. Old blues songs aren't "deep" lyrically, but they are authentic. Rock 'n' roll lyrics don't have to be poetry to be good. Many Led Zeppelin songs, for example, are just hedonistic, The Sex Pistols songs express rage, etc. Anyway, I think that some of Axl's lyrics are great, Locomotive, Breakdown, Don't Damn Me, most of his Appetite stuff in another way, etc. I agree that Izzy is a good songwriter and that Slash is talented. All three are talented but for different reasons each they can't do on their own what they did or what they would do together.

@killuridols, I said that Axl doesn't have a business mind and that Slash and Duff are better at this area, and Frey commented on my post. I'm clarifying that I don't think it's a flaw, especially for someone like Axl. In fact, I kinda like him for this, because I'm romantic about music and I don't want to see it and art in general as business (without disregarding that in capitalist economy art is inevitably a commodity etc.).

This is why (and moreover because it was one of the reasons that the band disintegrated) I consider Axl's big mistake that he decided to see the band firstly as a business and then as a team of people who created and played music. Axl wanted GnR to be like The Rolling Stones, a band that had already a 25 year old career, hence it had reasonably become a business. Thus Doug Goldstein became more important than Izzy; which itself was a bad decision even business wise, because you don't risk to lose a partner whose role is important in creating the product you sell (music). Axl wanted to reduce Izzy's royalties because Izzy didn't want to do more than writing songs, while he was spending loads of money on those theme parties and in fines for breaking the curfew due to his lateness. I know it wasn't the only reason why Izzy left, I'm commenting on Axl's choices from both an ethical and a business point of view. The CD story is another example; spending so much money on that album and not even promoting it.

Yes, Axl is very rich because he has sold millions of records (btw, these numbers don't represent what they have in "real" money, but what their assets worth), but the fact that he can afford losing money due to wrong choices doesn't mean that he's good at business. But like I said, I kinda like that he isn't although he wanted to be (I also appreciate that for years he refused to give the songs for commercials, even though he eventually did it and played on one). Some of his decisions' results though weren't just insignificant money loss for him.

Doing a bit of coke and weed occasionally doesn't compare to being completely strung out on heroin or drinking lethal amounts of alcohol though. As for the lyrics, I used the word "saves" because for me personally that's what makes Axl's lyrics bearable for me. I don't necessarily expect poetry in rock n roll, but some of Axl's lyrics are just terribly bad, downright cringeworthy. But then there's the raw and authentic stuff (plus a few actually brilliant moments) that prevented me from immediately dismissing the band when I first came across them.

I agree with everything else, especially the bolded.

Edited by Frey

2 hours ago, stella said:

Kali's a Hindu goddess, yes. They're totally different religious, although what's interesting is that in Hinduism they acknowledge Buddha as being an incarnation of Vishnu. The frustrating thing is that so many people appropriate religious symbols or use them for fashion that one never knows if it's just a fashion statement or a marker of a true belief.

He has a tattoo on his hand written in Hindi or Sanskrit, Not sure if he actually believes the religion like George Harrison, maybe he got it done cause he found it cool like how some people get Chinese Letters done on their hands/neck/back. 

14 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Someone? It's our beloved friend Sasha being all over Axl :P

@Lanna Thank god for the guy's knee in the picture or I would be seeing even more of Sasha's naked ass than I'm already seeing. Why does she need to climb all over Axl in public with her ass and everything hanging out like that :rolleyes::lol::facepalm:

Just to show some ''class'':crazy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

:rofl-lol:

llt.gif

the personification of the :wow: gif

About the business discussion, i don't feel competent enough for it but i laugh when i see that Axl wanted to be like Mick because for the first 6 years of his career he cared very little about the business side of things, he only cared about the music and by 1970 they were totally broke even if they worked like crazy and they didn't have the rights of their songs published before 1971 (still don't), they were robbed blind  by their scumbag of a manager Allen Klein, after they got themself straight and managed themself (and it's not like Mick does everything himself, he does the day to day things but the important shit they decide together and Keith never skips a reunion even for less important stuff)

@Andy14 my mom was behind me while i was watching the gif and she was like: "who is that woman?" :rofl-lol:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

LOL

"He is the singer of Guns n Roses, mom, he has delicate features"

"Oh, he looks like a woman"

A very lucky fan, i hope he knows how rare he is it that he smiles in fan pictures :lol:

3 minutes ago, giuls said:

"He is the singer of Guns n Roses, mom, he has delicate features"

"Oh, he looks like a woman"

A very lucky fan, i hope he knows how rare he is it that he smiles in fan pictures :lol:

I had a similar incident, I was watching Rock In Rio 2001, my mom was like who is this girl whose shirt buttons are open lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slash787 said:

He has a tattoo on his hand written in Hindi or Sanskrit, Not sure if he actually believes the religion like George Harrison, maybe he got it done cause he found it cool like how some people get Chinese Letters done on their hands/neck/back. 

Huh, wonder if he really does believe in either Hinduism or Buddhism, then. George Harrison was really refreshing; he actually believed in it instead of just appropriating it, and that was cool.

Speaking of the Chinese tattoos, have you ever seen that joke site that was floating around? It supposedly was giving out free stencils and ideas for Chinese tattoos...but all the words were the opposite of what the site claimed they were. Like they'd claim to be giving the characters for "strong" but they actually meant "weak" or "stupid." LOL. I've actually heard of that happening; people get tattoos in languages they don't actually know and they think they're getting a great saying, but it actually says something awful. I've always been told that if you really want a tattoo in another language, you'd better know the language yourself OR have someone you really, really trust write it out for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy14 said:

Someone must have broken Axl, he's SMILING!!!! :wow:

axlfan.jpg

:unsure: should be me...... and that lanyard.... :unsure:

my mom was behind me while i was watching the gif and she was like: "who is that woman?" :rofl-lol:

:lol:

I have this pic of Axl as wallpaper in my computer and my mom asked me if that was a man or a woman :rofl-lol:

image.jpeg

35 minutes ago, stella said:

Speaking of the Chinese tattoos, have you ever seen that joke site that was floating around? It supposedly was giving out free stencils and ideas for Chinese tattoos...but all the words were the opposite of what the site claimed they were. Like they'd claim to be giving the characters for "strong" but they actually meant "weak" or "stupid." LOL. I've actually heard of that happening; people get tattoos in languages they don't actually know and they think they're getting a great saying, but it actually says something awful. I've always been told that if you really want a tattoo in another language, you'd better know the language yourself OR have someone you really, really trust write it out for you.

I remember it when this happened. Quite a few friend of mine got fooled, they wanted something like "Victory" or "Winner" and they got "Stupid" "Idiot" "Fuck" "Bitch" lol

I don't know if this happens now, but its better to first translate the words properly and then show it to the tattoo artist instead of him making some random letters on his own.