GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

23 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Damn, even that complaint topic is a wild read :lol: I find myself agreeing with the people who are pissed about the topic being locked, but I also remember the original poster of that topic, and I remember him as a huge t.r.o.l.l. (Why the fuck does the board censor the word t.r.o.l.l. with "Hooray for tolerance"?! It made me look like I used a homophobic slur in that context :max:)

And if his entire basis for claiming Axl was sexually attracted to Slash was the way Axl dresses... Let's just say he might get along really well with Alan Niven then. :rolleyes:

Hahaha :lol:

I saw that post before you edited it and was surprised that you would use the f-word to refer to that guy. 

Weird though that a harmless word like t.r.o.l.l. is censored.

And yeah, Alan Niven speculating Axl is bisexual because of Axl's clothing choices :rolleyes: That guy always brings the lulz.

40 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah I could see that.

Yep. TB were the worst management ever and they fed Axl's hatred of and delusions about Slash and the other guys. Tried to keep Duff away from Axl, etc. And now they act as if they always just loved Slash and the old guys and everything. I still laugh every time I see Beta or Fernando sucking up to Slash now.

jesus the way fermanager sucks up to meegan and susan is disgusting :facepalm:

their Instagram accounts are a Nando drool fest :drool:

2 hours ago, tiutso said:

Thought you might care, those of you who aren't on Tumblr. It's from a thread discussing that pic of Axl and a statue from few pages back. Безымянный.jpg

What tumblr is this?

Im not sure I'm following the write Tumblr accounts. I never come accross shit like this.

Please fill me in with what's the latest trend :P

@Andy14 LOL! We love you too, Axl! :heart:

57 minutes ago, giuls said:

I'm gonna think it was a lover spat, Duff knows Slash doesn't react well at Axl's crazy 

shhhh, don't shatter my fantasy :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

I'm not going to, it's a nice fantasy lol. And from what we can see, it was close enough to something like that anyway probably :lol:

But seriously, if @Blackstars interpretation is correct, how sweet is it that Duff goes to comfort Slash because Axl was being mean to him :lol::heart:

34 minutes ago, Frey said:

Hahaha :lol:

I saw that post before you edited it and was surprised that you would use the f-word to refer to that guy. 

Weird though that a harmless word like t.r.o.l.l. is censored.

And yeah, Alan Niven speculating Axl is bisexual because of Axl's clothing choices :rolleyes: That guy always brings the lulz.

Yeah, that's definitely not something I would say under normal circumstances. Thanks for realizing lol

27 minutes ago, killuridols said:

jesus the way fermanager sucks up to meegan and susan is disgusting :facepalm:

their Instagram accounts are a Nando drool fest :drool:

I saw something along these lines at least once as well :facepalm:

Also when Beta posts videos of Slash. Hilarious considering she even refused to be in the same room with him not too long ago.

4 hours ago, tiutso said:

I thinkit's been said that Axl might've been sick. He's kinda leaning forward in one of the sequences, Slash seems to be checking up on him.

3 hours ago, giuls said:

I don't know, it seems to me that the majority of the cuddling comes from Axl, he's blurry but he seems affectionate not sick?

I'm not really seeing sickness there either. The only moment where Axl looks kind of bent over and Slash looks like he might be checking on him is the one around 2:20.

For the rest of the video they just seem to be cuddling. In that first scene Slash is cuddling Axl and even leaning on him/putting his weight on him. Would you do that to an already sick and fragile person? And in the other scenes Axl is cuddling Slash.

I mean they did similar stuff at other shows, but such extensive and prolonged cuddling and all of that during only one show is pretty unusual for them. Not that I'm complaining, but :question:

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Del was a motorcyclist or some thing like that. He doesn't have great writting skills to be honest. His interviews, mostly with Axl, were good because he knew Axl and was his friend. The real challenge for a journalist or interviewer is when that person is not your friend and you have to do a lot of work to get their trust and the best of that person to show on the interview. Del wrote only one book. What did he do for the rest of the time? :shrugs:

Amy and Stuart didn't last for long in their so-called jobs. Who was Axl's real assistant back in the day? Craig Duswalt. Amy and Stuart did nothing else but organize parties, which even my grandma can do well, and after that they disappeared from the picture. Obviously, this is due to the useless use their "jobs" had and how much of actually a waste of money they were.

The opening bands are a different thing. They were actually talented people and would have made their way to success with or without GN'R.

Axl's GN'R did fail because he wasn't able to keep a steady lineup and release the amount of albums that would have settled that lineup as a serious and important project. They were able to tour and fill venues because most of the setlist was based on AFD and the Illusion albums and because Axl is always an attraction. But Axl worn out the touring, supporting in 2014 an album that was released 6 years before :facepalm:

Reunion could have happened before if Axl had addressed his issues sooner than later. Solving the problems with Slash and Duff and even Izzy was always the right thing for all of them, but the hatred, resentment and legal battles was what kept them wasting time and energy in negative things.

Glad they finally understood and realized about it before they were too old.

Axl was trying to get his siblings out of a toxic situation in Indiana and give them a head start in their new lives in California. He did that. As to Del's writing ability, it's not my cup of tea, but he's not a bad writer, and he worked at RIP without Axl, doing other interviews, for quite a while.

Most of these statements are subjective. In this day and age, releasing albums = success? Nope. Keeping a steady lineup = success? Not at all. Most of the bands who are touring successfully aren't releasing a lot of albums anymore; they make their money from touring.

As to the steady lineup? There were seven people in the band besides Axl. Out of those seven, he kept four (Dizzy, Chris Pittman, Tommy Stinson and Richard Fortus) for the entire duration of NuGnR. He had two different drummers - not much different than what happened with GnR. One of the guitarists stayed on for eight years; the other was there for IIRC four years. The second drummer has been there for nine years or so now. Those really aren't out of line with the length of time that bands keep some of their members.

Success or failure is about the balance on the accounting sheet and the bodies in the seats, not opinions - and again, they were able to sustain 14 years of touring with NuGNR with pretty substantial audiences. They did as well as Velvet Revolver, if not better.

As to the reunion, again, this was something the band members had to arrive at on their own - not something that a manager pressed them to do. It's not fair to blame any manager for a reunion not happening sooner, because all of them needed to work this out on their own time - not when the fans or management wanted them to do so.

Edited by stella

24 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

I'm not really seeing sickness there either. The only moment where Axl looks kind of bent over and Slash looks like he might be checking on him is the one around 2:20.

For the rest of the video they just seem to be cuddling. In that first scene Slash is cuddling Axl and even leaning on him/putting his weight on him. Would you do that to an already sick and fragile person? And in the other scenes Axl is cuddling Slash.

I mean the did similar stuff at other shows, but such extensive and prolonged cuddling and all of that during only one show is pretty unusual for them. Not that I'm complaining, but :question:

Exactly, it's just cuddling to me too.

Maybe they were both drunk and they were more cuddly? or maybe it was after one of their heart to heart talk and they felt closer, cue hardcore cuddling? It's super cute, this is the sure thing.

ETA: i rewatched it and at the moment at 2:20, Slash is bend over Axl because he's talking in the mic in Axl's hand, instead of taking the mic he preffered to wrap himself over Axl :lol:

Edited by giuls

7 minutes ago, stella said:

Axl was trying to get his siblings out of a toxic situation in Indiana and give them a head start in their new lives in California. He did that. As to Del's writing ability, it's not my cup of tea, but he's not a bad writer, and he worked at RIP without Axl, doing other interviews, for quite a while.

Most of these statements are subjective. In this day and age, releasing albums = success? Nope. Keeping a steady lineup = success? Not at all. Most of the bands who are touring successfully aren't releasing a lot of albums anymore; they make their money from touring.

As to the steady lineup? There were seven people in the band besides Axl. Out of those seven, he kept four (Dizzy, Chris Pittman, Tommy Stinson and Richard Fortus) for the entire duration of NuGnR. He had two different drummers - not much different than what happened with GnR. One of the guitarists stayed on for eight years; the other was there for IIRC four years. The second drummer has been there for nine years or so now. Those really aren't out of line with the length of time that bands keep some of their members.

Success or failure is about the balance on the accounting sheet and the bodies in the seats, not opinions - and again, they were able to sustain 14 years of touring with NuGNR with pretty substantial audiences. They did as well as Velvet Revolver, if not better.

But at least those bands have more than one original members in their lineup. They are playing the music they originally wrote :rolleyes:

I don't understand the logic of being a band or a musician and not making music. Release albums not for the success but for the sake of being an artist, jesus :facepalm: Or else quit the band and open a restaurant near the beach, less hassle.

What was the point of replacing all the members of original GN'R to end up playing the music written by previous lineups and eternally touring an album that took 13 years to be released? How is that success? How is that an example of good work, team work, project successfully planned and executed.

I'm sorry but anywhere else such results are deemed as failure to finish a project in proper time, blowing up the initial budget.

Axl was very lucky of having someone providing him millions to waste in years and years of procrastination.

In any other field or area of work that would be unthinkable and impossible to get away with.

I agree that success or failure of a project is about the balance on the accounting sheet and the bodies in the seats, hence, nuGN'R was a failure: the sales of CD did not meet expectations of being commercially successful as AFD or the Illusions (even though is a very good album); touring the USA extensively in stadiums was never an option during that period and in general, the audience did not respond positively to nuGNR.

And to finally prove it didn't work: reunion of three original members.

When a project is successful you don't cut it, you don't stop it, you don't shelve it.

NuGN'R was under rug swept.

:shrugs:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frey said:

I can't agree with this and the similar statement you just posted.

Yes, the reunion needed to happen in its own time and when everyone was ready, but that time might have come a whole lot sooner if Axl had been surrounded by different people. 

As it is, he was surrounded by people who encouraged Axl's hatred and delusions about everyone from his old life (probably because they feared for their own place in Axl's life and that the gravy train would stop). People who literally created enemy lists for him. Enemy lists. :scared::facepalm:

What if Axl had instead been surrounded by people who encouraged him to talk to Slash/Izzy/Duff/Marc/whoever. Who encouraged him to clear the air with other people and have some healing conversations. Who could have helped him see things in a more nuanced way than the black or white one he tends to favor? Who could have helped him understand other people's motivations and feelings?

This approach would have spared Axl (and everyone else) a lot of drama, pain and hurt feelings. And would have given us a reunion much sooner probably.

But as it is, we can thank pure luck and coincidence (most likely, I know Axl is suspicious) for Duff ending up in a hotel room next to Axl and setting a chain of events into motion that would ultimately lead to this reunion.

ovation.gif

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, superfrut said:

sorry, this is a bit off topic, but look how good little axl looks when he's not wearing that dopey sweater around his waist (it fell off), and he is not puffing... 

(shot close up by some guy in the pit)

yeah you're right, he looks oh so very cute :heart: and so so so small it makes me wanna cry :unsure:

I want this tiny Axl to put in my night table and kiss every night :hug:

32 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Btw what do Slash's and Duff's kids call Axl? 

Uncle Axl? 

Lol we don't know.

Meegan's youngest daughter called him Daddy though on Instagram some time ago lol. (There was a discussion about it here some pages back.)

ovation.gif

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

I mean they did similar stuff at other shows, but such extensive and prolonged cuddling and all of that during only one show is pretty unusual for them. Not that I'm complaining, but :question:

I don't know what it is, but that entire extended cuddle sequence there in that video is really fucking gay :lol: Not being an ass, I just mean that as a factual statement.

Maybe you girls are right and they did have something going on between them. And maybe this was the day they confessed their undying love to each other or the day they fucked for the first time or some other corny chick flick bullshit like that. (How's that for an explanation? I deserve points for coming up with that :lol:)

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, killuridols said:

But at least those bands have more than one original members in their lineup. They are playing the music they originally wrote :rolleyes:

I don't understand the logic of being a band or a musician and not making music. Release albums not for the success but for the sake of being an artist, jesus :facepalm: Or else quit the band and open a restaurant near the beach, less hassle.

What was the point of replacing all the members of original GN'R to end up playing the music written by previous lineups and eternally touring an album that took 13 years to be released? How is that success? How is that an example of good work, team work, project successfully planned and executed.

I'm sorry but anywhere else such results are deemed as failure to finish a project in proper time, blowing up the initial budget.

Axl was very lucky of having someone providing him millions to waste in years and years of procrastination.

In any other field or area of work that would be unthinkable and impossible to get away with.

I agree that success or failure of a project is about the balance on the accounting sheet and the bodies in the seats, hence, nuGN'R was a failure: the sales of CD did not meet expectations of being commercially successful as AFD or the Illusions (even though is a very good album); touring the USA extensively in stadiums was never an option during that period and in general, the audience did not respond positively to nuGNR.

And to finally prove it didn't work: reunion of three original members.

When a project is successful you don't cut it, you don't stop it, you don't shelve it.

NuGN'R was under rug swept.

:shrugs:

The industry has changed. It takes a lot of time and money to record and release an album, and there might not be a lot of drive to do so - or do it frequently- if it's just going to be stolen and illegally downloaded. From a financial perspective, it's a lot better to tour and get money from tickets and merch - at least with that there's a return. Artists still have to pay their bills, and they can't do so if they're bleeding money.

Original members are nice, but that's not how a lot of bands operate either. The Cure has one original member left; they've toured for years and years and have not released an album in eight years. Original members die, get sick, don't want to tour anymore.

NuGNR was NOT a failure monetarily - they had strong sales at the venues they played; they played large markets and festivals repeatedly; and they were not booed offstage. If they had not had success with the touring, they would have stopped doing it, or started playing House of Blues in every city or something. They did two successful residencies with paid attendance of over, IIRC, 85%. The fact that many here did not enjoy NuGnR does NOT mean that others didn't go to those shows and enjoy them. And while sales for CD were not strong in the USA, IIRC it's either been certified gold or platinum internationally, which is a feat nowadays. The record label also recouped some, if not all, of its investment thanks to the Best Buy deal. Best Buy might have come out a loser on that, but the label and such got their money.

No, it's not the success that AfD had, but there's no saying that if they'd stayed together, or had that reunion ten years ago, they'd have that same success. Even this reunion struggled to fill some of the stadiums in which it played and a lot of tickets were unloaded for less money on Stubhub and discount sites. 95% of the artists out there don't play stadiums. That's not the end-all.

And the reunion doesn't mean that NuGnR didn't work; it meant that Axl was ready to do something else and the band evolved. A band can change personnel and direction without being a failure. That's what GnR originally did when they went from AfD to an acoustic EP to UYI, after all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frey said:

Maybe you girls are right and they did have something going on between them. And maybe this was the day they confessed their undying love to each other or the day they fucked for the first time or some other corny chick flick bullshit like that. (How's that for an explanation? I deserve points for coming up with that :lol:)

Points and cookies. 

I'm out of likes but :wub::heart::wub:

24 minutes ago, killuridols said:

34 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yes, the reunion needed to happen in its own time and when everyone was ready, but that time might have come a whole lot sooner if Axl had been surrounded by different people. 

As it is, he was surrounded by people who encouraged Axl's hatred and delusions about everyone from his old life (probably because they feared for their own place in Axl's life and that the gravy train would stop). People who literally created enemy lists for him. Enemy lists. :scared::facepalm:

What if Axl had instead been surrounded by people who encouraged him to talk to Slash/Izzy/Duff/Marc/whoever. Who encouraged him to clear the air with other people and have some healing conversations. Who could have helped him see things in a more nuanced way than the black or white one he tends to favor? Who could have helped him understand other people's motivations and feelings?

This approach would have spared Axl (and everyone else) a lot of drama, pain and hurt feelings. And would have given us a reunion much sooner probably.

But as it is, we can thank pure luck and coincidence (most likely, I know Axl is suspicious) for Duff ending up in a hotel room next to Axl and setting a chain of events into motion that would ultimately lead to this reunion.

ovation.gif

Out of likes, and @killuridols already posted the perfect reaction gif, so I won't bother to find anything else.

But yes, I agree 100%.

And the enemy list. Dear god, I had nearly forgotten about that particular bit of GNR insanity :facepalm: (It was Fernando who made that list for Axl, right? :rolleyes:)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, superfrut said:

sorry, this is a bit off topic, but look how good little axl looks when he's not wearing that dopey sweater around his waist (it fell off), and he is not puffing... 

(shot close up by some guy in the pit)

This is never off topic, I guess we've already examined this video (or similar) :ph34r:. He looks great :drool:. All he needs is to keep it simple, no big jackets, no shirts, no horrible boots :max:, no hats (ok, just one or two are tolerated)

I really want to see him wearing shorts, I don't mean the biker shorts he used to wear (even thought I wouldn't be against :popcorn:) but the knee length ones (or maybe acdc shorts...j/k :P)

At least he ditched the oversized "the end" shirt, he looked twice as big in it  

5 minutes ago, Frey said:

I don't know what it is, but that entire extended cuddle sequence there in that video is really fucking gay :lol: Not being an ass, I just mean that as a factual statement.

It's fucking cute :hug:

You do deserve points...and a bit of Slaxl cuddle too :smiley-confused2:

42 minutes ago, Frey said:

Perhaps. But he was in touch with Marc Canter until 2007 or so. He was talking to Izzy from 2006 onward. He did have a few links to the outside there, and none of them were able to bridge that gap. He was talking to Duff from 2010 onward and having him as a guest in the band, and even Duff couldn't get that ball rolling until the last year or so, apparently.

If TB were really only there for the gravy train, they would have pushed as hard as they could for a reunion, IMHO. The band together DOES have more economic potential than NuGnR did, regardless of how well the latter toured. Axl, Slash and Duff together attract a lot more attention, money and respect. If someone's goal were to squeeze as much money as they could out of Axl, they'd have been pushing for that reunion night and day.

Perhaps TB was not trying to do that because they felt those people were genuinely upsetting to Axl, and they were trying to protect him as they knew best. If talking of Slash was enough to send Axl off into one of his self-destructive rages or trigger depression and mental decline, they might have felt it best to try to stay away from that. Could they have suggested that Axl get help to work with those feelings? We don't know if they did or not, or what Axl was doing for all those years he wasn't in the public eye. And if someone doesn't want help, or doesn't want to listen, nobody can make them.

And one more thing is that when one is dealing with a person with mental or emotional problems, you DO try to keep them from getting angry and hurting themselves or others. That can lead to bad decisions, sure, but it's decisions made out of fear for that person. The desire to keep that person calm and out of one of their episodes really drives a huge portion of the way everyone interacts with them.

Edited by stella

7 minutes ago, Frey said:

Lol we don't know.

Meegan's youngest daughter called him Daddy though on Instagram some time ago lol. (There was a discussion about it here some pages back.)

You deserve a hug too, Slaxl padawan :lol: :hug:good job

13 minutes ago, stella said:

The industry has changed. It takes a lot of time and money to record and release an album, and there might not be a lot of drive to do so - or do it frequently- if it's just going to be stolen and illegally downloaded. From a financial perspective, it's a lot better to tour and get money from tickets and merch - at least with that there's a return. Artists still have to pay their bills, and they can't do so if they're bleeding money.

Original members are nice, but that's not how a lot of bands operate either. The Cure has one original member left; they've toured for years and years and have not released an album in eight years. Original members die, get sick, don't want to tour anymore.

NuGNR was NOT a failure monetarily - they had strong sales at the venues they played; they played large markets and festivals repeatedly; and they were not booed offstage. If they had not had success with the touring, they would have stopped doing it, or started playing House of Blues in every city or something. They did two successful residencies with paid attendance of over, IIRC, 85%. The fact that many here did not enjoy NuGnR does NOT mean that others didn't go to those shows and enjoy them. And while sales for CD were not strong in the USA, IIRC it's either been certified gold or platinum internationally, which is a feat nowadays. The record label also recouped some, if not all, of its investment thanks to the Best Buy deal. Best Buy might have come out a loser on that, but the label and such got their money.

No, it's not the success that AfD had, but there's no saying that if they'd stayed together, or had that reunion ten years ago, they'd have that same success. Even this reunion struggled to fill some of the stadiums in which it played and a lot of tickets were unloaded for less money on Stubhub and discount sites. 95% of the artists out there don't play stadiums. That's not the end-all.

And the reunion doesn't mean that NuGnR didn't work; it meant that Axl was ready to do something else and the band evolved. A band can change personnel and direction without being a failure. That's what GnR originally did when they went from AfD to an acoustic EP to UYI, after all.

The excuse of not releasing music because its not profitable doesn't sound credible anymore. I've seen that excuse posted and repeated here too many times and I think it is a lame excuse from fans who don't want to see the reality.

Are you a musician? Yes. Do you make music? No. :facepalm:

- Hello, I'd like a big ham and cheese pizza please.

- I'm sorry, sir. We don't make pizzas here.

- Excuse me? Doesn't it say Pizza Hut outside?

- Yes, but we make sandwiches now. Pizzas got too expensive to make.

- Ok. Then why do you still have the Pizza Hut sign outside?

- Umm. :shrugs:

The excuse of not releasing music because its not profitable doesn't sound credible anymore. I've seen that excuse posted and repeated here too many times and I think it is a lame excuse from fans who don't want to see the reality.

Are you a musician? Yes. Do you make music? No. :facepalm:

- Hello, I'd like a big ham and cheese pizza please.

- I'm sorry, sir. We don't make pizzas here.

- Excuse me? Doesn't it say Pizza Hut outside?

- Yes, but we make sandwiches now. Pizzas got too expensive to make.

- Ok. Then why do you still have the Pizza Hut sign outside?

- Umm. :shrugs:

Playing music is "making music." Is someone who has a career as, say, a symphony orchestra violinist - and goes through years of conservatory training to get to that point - any less a musician because they only play live music and play other people's compositions?

And it's not a lame excuse - it's what bands tell people now themselves. They have to look at the bottom line and do what's profitable, and that's not full albums for the most part. It's rare for an album to even go gold these days. 

• Like 1