GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

16 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Axl, Duff and Izzy all basically are a mix of English/Irish and German (and a few other things).

Who did you expect them to be? :D That's what most white Americans' ancestry is, just throw the French and Italian in.

54 minutes ago, tiutso said:

Who did you expect them to be? :D That's what most white Americans' ancestry is, just throw the French and Italian in.

Add in Dutch, Eastern European and Scandinavian, depending on when they came over and where in America they settled. :D There were lots of German settlers in the Midwest and Pennsylvania in the 1800s and 1900s, the New Sweden colony near Delaware and a lot of other Swedish and Norwegian immigrants in the 1800s and early 1900s. New York was New Amsterdam, of course, and there are still tons of Dutch street and place names there. And in the huge immigration boom of the early 1900s there were a ton of people from Eastern European countries and Russia.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stella said:

Add in Dutch, Eastern European and Scandinavian, depending on when they came over and where in America they settled. :D There were lots of German settlers in the Midwest and Pennsylvania in the 1800s and 1900s, the New Sweden colony near Delaware and a lot of other Swedish and Norwegian immigrants in the 1800s and early 1900s. New York was New Amsterdam, of course, and there are still tons of Dutch street and place names there. And in the huge immigration boom of the early 1900s there were a ton of people from Eastern European countries and Russia.

Those are pretty miniscule percentage-wise compared to the aforementioned ethnicities. The Eastern Europeans arrived so late that I have a hard time thinking of them as having taken roots, especially considering how many of them form diasporas and don't get lost in Americanness like the colonizers did. So, for a lot of them there isn't much of an 'American tracing down their heritage' thing going on. It's just 'growing up a descendant of Soviet immigrants', which would be a bit of a different narrative in the context of this conversation.

Edited by tiutso

22 minutes ago, tiutso said:

Those are pretty miniscule percentage-wise compared to the aforementioned ethnicities. The Eastern Europeans arrived so late that I have a hard time thinking of them as having taken roots, especially considering how many of them form diasporas and don't get lost in Americanness like the colonizers did. So, for a lot of them there isn't much of an 'American tracing down their heritage' thing going on. It's just 'growing up a descendant of Soviet immigrants', which would be a bit of a different narrative in the context of this conversation.

Not really. I'm from America and I do know my country's history here. They did certainly take down roots. I actually know this one because of all the ancestry geeks in my family. In the early 1900s, the stat was that 1/5 of people born in Sweden were living in America. In 1900's census, for instance, there were 1.6 million immigrants from Ireland and 1.1 from Scandinavia living in America. It was fairly close. In 1910 there were 1.3 million from Ireland and the same amount from Scandinavia. It was not a small group at all. There are huge swaths of Minnesota that were originally Scandinavian.

There have been Polish immigrants to America since the 1700s; a lot of Hungarians came over after the Hungarian Revolution in the 1800s, and there were two million immigrants from Hungary (although some were Romanian and from other Eastern European countries) in the 1800s/early 1900s immigration boom. It wasn't as much as Western Europe, but there were a fair number of people. I've actually got a Hungarian ancestor from 18 - something. There are a lot of people here who have one great-great grandmother who's Polish, Hungarian, Russian, etc. and they're totally assimilated. The ones you're talking of who form their own neighborhoods are generally those who came in after the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, stella said:

Not really. I'm from America and I do know my country's history here. They did certainly take down roots. I actually know this one because of all the ancestry geeks in my family. In the early 1900s, the stat was that 1/5 of people born in Sweden were living in America. In 1900's census, for instance, there were 1.6 million immigrants from Ireland and 1.1 from Scandinavia living in America. It was fairly close. In 1910 there were 1.3 million from Ireland and the same amount from Scandinavia. It was not a small group at all. There are huge swaths of Minnesota that were originally Scandinavian.

There have been Polish immigrants to America since the 1700s; a lot of Hungarians came over after the Hungarian Revolution in the 1800s, and there were two million immigrants from Hungary (although some were Romanian and from other Eastern European countries) in the 1800s/early 1900s immigration boom. It wasn't as much as Western Europe, but there were a fair number of people. I've actually got a Hungarian ancestor from 18 - something. There are a lot of people here who have one great-great grandmother who's Polish, Hungarian, Russian, etc. and they're totally assimilated. The ones you're talking of who form their own neighborhoods are generally those who came in after the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Hungary and Poland aren't really Eastern Europe. I'm not sure how Americans divide European countries when they talk about them but to us they're in that centre where they might not be with the West but they sure ain't with us either.

32 minutes ago, stella said:

Apparently, the UN has an official definition, so this is My Bad, but you'll never really hear anyone here speak of Hungarians or the Polish as Eastern Europeans 

Edited by tiutso

2 hours ago, Lumikki said:

About a story on rockfic that I started reading, but then I stopped because it was so disturbing and :unsure::unsure: to me. But Serenity told me to continue reading. So I did and it became horrible and sad in a whole new way and that's why I basically cried oceans of tears. I'm sensitive and emotional when it comes to Axl, even about fictional Axl apparently :P:facepalm:

And yes, I've noticed that before about the jacket. I think he stole/borrowed that jacket from Erin because it's too small for him. Similar to how he stole/borrowed the leggings from his sister. I think it's kinda adorable how he used to wear the clothes of the women around him (and some of the guys in the band's clothes too) :heart:

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy  >  Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, George Clooney, [insert any other actor that is generally proclaimed as the epitome of attractiveness] as far as I'm concerned :awesomeface:

Also I had no idea Axl was so... German. I had noticed his mom's German maiden name of course, but poking around that site and the links, I notice he is German through and through on his mom's side.

Lintner, Rosenbrock, Zimmerman, Schaper, Pfingsten... all German surnames and a lot of these people were even born in Germany. And it's kind of funny how he has rose-related surnames on both sides of his family. "Rosenbrock" = "a marsh where roses grow". Also "Pfingsten" = "pentecost" :confused:

Axl, Duff and Izzy all basically are a mix of English/Irish and German (and a few other things).

(And these people in the comments on Slash's page being shocked that Slash is part black. What are they, blind?! :facepalm:)

Something is wrong about these family trees linked on Axl's site though. They don't match up with data from findagrave.com (in particular that Earl Lintner guy).

Other things not matching up: The middle name of Axl's mom. Wasn't she listed as Sharon Lee Lintner in the yearbook picture that dalsh posted?

Yet all genealogy related sites list her as Sharon E. Linter, "E." being short for Elizabeth apparently. And this is definitely correct because it even says so on her grave. (Couldn't help but notice the engraved roses on the grave there. Wonder if Axl had anything to do with that?)

So what do we have here? An error in the yearbook or is the person dalsh posted not actually Axl's mom after all? But then again, how many Sharon Lintners could there have been in that particular high school during that particular time?

I also noticed that Axl's stepfather is apparently younger than his mother. Kind of surprising, I always pictured him as an older guy taking advantage of a young woman in a vulnerable position. Most of these patriarchal religious whackjobs seem to follow that model. But it makes more sense then that he's still alive.

Also, Axl's grandma apparently lived to be 96. So maybe he's got quite a few more years left as well. She looks like a nice lady. She was the only person in Axl's family Slash liked, right?

31 minutes ago, stella said:

Not really. I'm from America and I do know my country's history here. They did certainly take down roots. I actually know this one because of all the ancestry geeks in my family. In the early 1900s, the stat was that 1/5 of people born in Sweden were living in America. In 1900, for instance, there were 1.6 million immigrants from Ireland and 1.1 from Scandinavia. It was fairly close. In 1910 there were 1.3 million from Ireland and the same amount from Scandinavia. It was not a small group at all. There are huge swaths of Minnesota that were originally Scandinavian.

Exactly.

Edited by Frey

2 hours ago, tiutso said:

Nope, like @stella said, there would have been a good chance for them to have Scandinavian ancestry for example (most likely Norwegian or Swedish). Or Polish and other Easter European countries, French, Italian, Dutch...

49 minutes ago, tiutso said:

Apparently, the UN has an official definition, so this is My Bad, but you'll never hear anyone here speak of Hungarians or the Polish as Eastern Europeans :rofl-lol:

Girl, Poland and Hungary are definitely considered Eastern Europe by everyone where I live :P I can see how that would seem strange from a Russian perspective, but here in central Europe (and also in western and north Europe)? Everything that is east of Germany and Austria (so basically everything that was beyond the iron curtain) is thought of as Eastern Europe.

2 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

-  Really?

About sharing clothes between Members-, What clothes tht They share back then

Yeah those rose printed leggings he used to have belonged to Amy apparently. I think I read about it in this thread actually.

There have been some examples of the guys sharing clothes posted in this thread as well. The gold glitter shirt Axl wears in the construction site photoshoot is Izzy's for example. There's also a black lace blouse both Izzy and Slash used to wear. And a red and blue kilt that Duff and Axl used to wear in the mid 80s. Also some hats.

44 minutes ago, Frey said:

Something is wrong about these family trees linked on Axl's site though. They don't match up with data from findagrave.com (in particular that Earl Lintner guy).

Other things not matching up: The middle name of Axl's mom. Wasn't she listed as Sharon Lee Lintner in the yearbook picture that dalsh posted?

Yet all genealogy related sites list her as Sharon E. Linter, "E." being short for Elizabeth apparently. And this is definitely correct because it even says so on her grave. (Couldn't help but notice the engraved roses on the grave there. Wonder if Axl had anything to do with that?)

So what do we have here? An error in the yearbook or is the person dalsh posted not actually Axl's mom after all? But then again, how many Sharon Lintners could there have been in that particular high school during that particular time?

I also noticed that Axl's stepfather is apparently younger than his mother. Kind of surprising, I always pictured him as an older guy taking advantage of a young woman in a vulnerable position. Most of these patriarchal religious whackjobs seem to follow that model. But it makes more sense then that he's still alive.

Also, Axl's grandma apparently lived to be 96. So maybe he's got quite a few more years left as well. She looks like a nice lady. She was the only person in Axl's family Slash liked, right?

Omg, why does all of this have to be so confusing lol. I'm already confused by the issues popping up whenever I try to research my own ancestry, let alone other people's. The thing with the yearbook could be a simple error though. Someone might just have misheard "E" as "Lee".

I always pictured Axl's step father as older as well. Weird to think he was 2 and a half years younger than his mom.

Because that means the guy was around 18 or 19 when he became Axl's step father.

The whole situation is more like these trashy TV shows about teenagers becoming parents than what I pictured in my head. (And I know people used to have kids earlier back then, but 16 year old mom and 18/19 year old step father is still a bit :unsure:.)

But I figured something out I remember wondering about:

Axl once said that if his and Erin's baby had been a girl, they would have named her Willow Amelia. And he said Amelia was after his grandmother. Since I only ever saw Axl's grandmother referred to as Anna, I wondered what grandmother he was talking about. But since his grandmother's full name is Anna Amelia, that makes sense now. Could have figured that out myself :rolleyes:

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tiutso said:

Hungary and Poland aren't really Eastern Europe. I'm not sure how Americans divide European countries when they talk about them but to us they're in that centre where they might not be with the West but they sure ain't with us either.

Yes, if someone looks at the map, Poland and Hungary are rather central Europe. The term "Eastern Europe" originates from the Cold War era. It was used for decades more in this context than geographically, i.e. Eastern Europe meant the countries of the Warsaw Pact, Poland, Hungary, Chechoslovakia (then united) etc. And, like Axl said about the "Ayatollah" thing, it stack :lol:

Around 1900 there was also a big immigration wave from Southern Europe to America, mainly from Italy (the most part) and Greece.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Just now, Lumikki said:

Nope, like @stella said, there would have been a good chance for them to have Scandinavian ancestry for example (most likely Norwegian or Swedish). Or Polish and other Easter European countries, French, Italian, Dutch...

I think I need to shut up about the population of the US in general, because it's obviously a rather different beast to what's going on over here simply because it's America :lol: There are twice as many people in the US as there are in Russia, yet I can think of at least 5 million people of 2 ethnicities here that quite a few people just plainly forget exist. Talk about 1.1 million being sizeable 

stell

41 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Nope, like @stella ....

Girl, Poland and Hungary are definitely considered Eastern Europe by everyone where I live :P I can see how that would seem strange from a Russian perspective, but here in central Europe (and also in western and north Europe)? Everything that is east of Germany and Austria (so basically everything that was beyond the iron curtain) is thought of as Eastern Europe.

The same here

Edited by Italian girl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Axl looks so Irish to me, and Scottish. His real name is totally Scottish freedom fighter if ever I heard one :lol: 

If you sent him back in time, I could totally see him running around in his kilt fighting off the evil English. 

Is it just cause of his hair? :lol:

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

Yeah those rose printed leggings he used to have belonged to Amy apparently. I think I read about it in this thread actually.

There have been some examples of the guys sharing clothes posted in this thread as well. The gold glitter shirt Axl wears in the construction site photoshoot is Izzy's for example. There's also a black lace blouse both Izzy and Slash used to wear. And a red and blue kilt that Duff and Axl used to wear in the mid 80s. Also some hats.

Axl once said that if his and Erin's baby had been a girl, they would have named her Willow Amelia. And he said Amelia was after his grandmother. Since I only ever saw Axl's grandmother referred to as Anna, I wondered what grandmother he was talking about. But since his grandmother's full name is Anna Amelia, that makes sense now. Could have figured that out myself :rolleyes:

- Hes beautiful even tho He wears female clothes

- From All of His family, I wonder if its only His Grandmother tht He likes?

Just now, MillionsOfSpiders said:

No, he has a typical cheeky little impish Irish face. Charm of the Irish. 

He's also mad as a box of frogs. 

And yes, ginger :lol:

Seen one total of gingers in Ireland despite staying for 2 weeks, was disappointed :D

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, if someone looks at the map, Poland and Hungary are rather central Europe. The term "Eastern Europe" originates from the Cold War era. It was used for decades more in this context than geographically, i.e. Eastern Europe meant the countries of the Warsaw Pact, Poland, Hungary, Chechoslovakia (then united) etc. And, like Axl said about the "Ayatollah" thing, it stack :lol:

Around 1900 there was also a big immigration wave from Southern Europe to America, mainly from Italy (the most part) and Greece.

Yup, we're pretty much in the centre. Also culture-wise and religion-wise we're not eastern. We were never part of the Eastern Church, either. So calling Poland or Hungary Eastern Europe is pretty funny. But then again, Steven Tyler said we have the best bannanas here, so what do I know :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Asia said:

Yup, we're pretty much in the centre. Also culture-wise and religion-wise we're not eastern. We were never part of the Eastern Church, either. So calling Poland or Hungary Eastern Europe is pretty funny. But then again, Steven Tyler said we have the best bannanas here, so what do I know :rofl-lol:

Are you Polish or Hungarian? :lol:

1 hour ago, SerenityScorp said:

how do You know?

Slash said so somewhere. In his book probably. He said something about Axl's grandma being just like Axl and that he liked her, but he didn't like the rest of Axl's family. Been a while since I read that. Maybe the people here who always magically have quotes at hand can tell you more about it :lol:

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

Omg, why does all of this have to be so confusing lol. I'm already confused by the issues popping up whenever I try to research my own ancestry, let alone other people's. The thing with the yearbook could be a simple error though. Someone might just have misheard "E" as "Lee".

I always pictured Axl's step father as older as well. Weird to think he was 2 and a half years younger than his mom.

Because that means the guy was around 18 or 19 when he became Axl's step father.

The whole situation is more like these trashy TV shows about teenagers becoming parents than what I pictured in my head. (And I know people used to have kids earlier back then, but 16 year old mom and 18/19 year old step father is still a bit :unsure:.)

But I figured something out I remember wondering about:

Maybe that guy being only 18 or 19 years old himself when confronted with toddler Axl was one of the reasons for him being such a failure as a parent. Teenage boys rarely make for great fathers.

Willow Amelia is better than I would have expected from Axl. It's no Apple or North West at least (and Axl could easily have come up with a ridiculous pun name a la Kanye as well with the surnam he's got.)

Edited by Frey