GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

3 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Its weird why Axl din't call Dave.

I really forgot if it was Josh Freese or Brain, I remember in the interview he was frustrated cause Axl made him keep on recording and it was just not happening. 

But I don't hear the drumming of Smells Like Teen Spirit on CD? does it sound similar? 

Actually he most likely did and Dave Grohl denied. In China Exchange Axl said he always wanted to work with him. And according to a Slash interview from 1994-95, Axl wanted then to do a side project with Dave Grohl and Dave Navarro. He probably tried multiple times to get Dave Grohl for a collaboration, like he had done with Kurt Cobain when he wanted Nirvana to tour with GnR (and Kurt had shitted on him).

5 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Slash787 And this is why everyone thinks Axl is best treated as an employee, and should just let Slash, Duff and preferably Izzy worry about the music side. 

Thats why there are more chances of an AC/DC album to come before than GNR.

Agnus is the boss there, so Axl works best as an employee. Axl coming to shows on time? doing photoshoots and interview? I never expected that from Axl. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I think Axl works better when he is able and willing to collaborate, like in the early GnR days to AFD (when the band was managing to work it out despite the problems and the differences), without dictate others or being dictated. If it had been 'shut up and sing" for him in GnR, the songs wouldn't have had his input (even though his input wasn't always for the best, but the same could be said about the other members). In other words, Axl needs to work towards the direction of being a partner, neither boss nor an employee.

I agree. With AfD, the rumor was that he actually recorded every single song on the album line by line. Literally, he was such a perfectionist that he wanted to make sure every single line was the best he could do. And with CD of course we saw that go totally out of control where he remixed and rethought and revised over and over and over again while a decade rolled by.

There's a happy medium to this, I think, and partnership does suit him best IMHO: when he respects those he's working with as equals, collaborates with them, and gets things done. Having that partnership to push him along and say, "look, it's DONE, STOP editing it now!" helps him, IMHO. In AC/DC right now it pretty much IS "shut up and sing," and that might work for him with this project but I don't know that it would be the best for him with everything. As you mentioned, if he'd done that during AfD we'd have a very different record.

AC/DC isn't my favorite band, to say the least, but if it gets Axl working and singing and out there doing something, IMHO, let him at it. How often have people complained about all those years he wasn't performing or living up to his potential? We've got an Axl right now who appears to be in better shape vocally, emotionally and physically than he's been in a while, who is out there ready to go, cooperating with his colleagues and by all accounts really bringing it at the shows. If working with AC/DC or whatever Angus does is going to keep those chops up and keep him happy and busy, awesome.

Edited by stella
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

It still annoys me that I never found out about that interview before it happened, I would've definitely gone down to London for it :( 

I'm still bitter they "wasted" a question asking about tenderness, ask about GNR!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I think Axl works better when he is able and willing to collaborate, like in the early GnR days to AFD (when the band was managing to work it out despite the problems and the differences), without dictate others or being dictated. If it had been 'shut up and sing" for him in GnR, the songs wouldn't have had his input (even though his input wasn't always for the best, but the same could be said about the other members). In other words, Axl needs to work towards the direction of being a partner, neither boss nor an employee.

SO MUCH THIS! 

For Axl, his need for everything to be perfect has always gotten the best of him and he comes off as a control freak when he really just wants best for the music. If he could just learn to relinquish control a little bit and be more trusting of the people he's working with, he'd be fine. I think he's gotten a lot better and thus tour with AC/DC has only helped him with that.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tiutso said:

Surely not feasible? How much time would you have to spend on patching all that together so that the flow is unbroken?

It would take an eternity and probably be a nightmare for the recording engineers and anyone who had to deal with it. But this is also the same Axl who had sex with someone in the studio so he could get authentic sex sounds, moved into the studio during UYI, etc. It's been confirmed on the board a few times, IIRC, and it makes sense to me because his vocals on that album are just crystal clear.

38 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

To be honest, I would probably have got kicked out anyway lol 

Lol, what would you have asked? :ph34r:

I like the interview more and more each time I watch it to make gifs, Axl's facial expressions are just priceless :wub:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Lol, what would you have asked? :ph34r:

I like the interview more and more each time I watch it to make gifs, Axl's facial expressions are just priceless :wub:

I think I would've been a a total weirdo that wouldn't be able to resist just walking up there and touching him,  that's why :lol:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I think I would've been a a total weirdo that wouldn't be able to resist just walking up there and touching him,  that's why :lol:

Don't worry, you're not the only one who wants to touch him, feel him... :smiley-confused2:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

No judgement from me :lol: But Fernando would have taken you down, I remember he was particularly rabid that day with fans :facepalm::rolleyes:

Anyway, came across this cute quote about Izzy by Axl (though it's a bit :rolleyes: these days):

"The Izzy thing was a very emotional thing, you know, because it is real, and I’ve known him for fifteen years, and he’s one of the people I care about most in the entire world."

Awww. (?)

And some pictures of Axl and Izzy that I hadn't seen before:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Izzy/tumblr_odyrzzQtnL1s3jwbao1_1280.png~original

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Izzy/tumblr_ocubt5nZ2N1ufauu3o1_1280_1.jpg~original

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/GunnersWFans/tumblr_odz3trCaTZ1rswsceo1_1280.jpg~original

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/GunnersWFans/454cvddfull-axl-rose.jpg~original

Also does anyone have these pictures of Izzy where Izzy's wearing the jacket Duff is wearing here? I can't find these anymore

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/coups/Clothes%20Sharing/image.jpeg.093c2fd92434f7acddc2bf863ac9fd04.jpg~original

• Like 2

@Lumikki I did the weirdo fan thing to Slash when he played with Snakepit at a little club in Sheffield UK. I was waiting at the front of the club for him and he turned up and walked in and as he walked past I put my hand out and touched his shoulder :lol: 

I have to keep thinking they'll straighten things out with Izzy, it's not impossible. He's been quite forgiving over the years of Axl being a rat bag to him.