GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

1 hour ago, giuls said:

@Lumikki i don't take that orphan line literally, Slash talked about Axl crying about his home life all the time, he has a loving family and wasn't it Slash that told a story about how no-one but Axl's grandma went to see them in concert when they were in Indiana and that's why he only likes Axl's grandma because he thought it was sad for Axl? so i don't think it's a stretch that he would equate Axl as an orphan, plus, him saying in public that daddy was his best friend and what he said to his favorite confidant where he didn't have to save face may have been two different things.

The moving in together, people move in together with friends all the time, they did move in together. 

the "i love you" part, it may not be a romantic i love you, i'm thinking about Axl's "i will still be your friend" in that famous interview, it was said very non-chalantly, it's not a stretch that they talked about what it would happen if they failed and saying to each other "no matter what, we'll always have eachother" and i can see Slash opening with "Axl, i'm saying it because i love you and i'm your friend" when he thought Axl was going to freak out about what he has to said to try to keep him calm.

"movie screen" line: Axl was (is?) obsessed with fame and luxury (male and female servant?) Slash wanted to make it, sure, but it was more about the music, to him the money was a minor point in confront of the importance placed in money and being famous by Axl, Slash has less problems about control and he has a less extravagant life style in confront of Axl, Axl is a diva, you know what i mean? 

And yes, the bruises and the lousy lay are kinda cruel and a cheap shot (males and their virility...) but this is an angry song and he would try to hurt Axl, this is the same man that admitted to fanning the flames of the feud and that in 2010 published a song about Axl with the line "to me you're dead" and this something you say to hurt people, he could have said "thank you, Ozzy, but maybe it's a bit much" and this was in 2010, in 1994/95 the wounds were still fresh.

I don't think "I hate everybody but you" is about Axl too but there are two damn funny quotes together :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

I really don't think Ozzy Osbourne has any need to talk either, with his track record of absolutely everything our guys have done and then some  :lol:

Oh and add to that making me wait for an hour and a half in the donington 60 mph gale, with sideways rain, causing me to get Bronchitis. Thanks Ozzy!!

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

35 minutes ago, Asia said:

They used the word love in relation to how they feel about each other about a million times, Axl even said "I love you" to Slash on stage, you've got plenty of footage where they would hug each other in a way that was really VERY affectionate, what makes anyone think they weren't telling each other I love you on a regular basis? Isn't that what you do in loving families?

I guess we really should understand thet their relationship was not the regular friendship, being buddies or whatever but much, much more. As Duff once said - "Would I ever get in that kind of relationship with some other guy? No way!". It was a very special one of a kind thing they had between them and even though I don't personally believe they fucked, I think it was in fact quite romantic. Or just watch that video I made and tell me it ain't love and it ain't quite romantic ;)

in my post that you quote i made up a dialogue with Slash telling Axl he loved him, i don't doubt they had a very, very strong, deep relationship but @Lumikki and i were talking about romantic-romantic relationship she said she read it as a something you says to a Significant Other and i said that he could be an "i love you" between very close friends and it was about Axl, i never said they never show tenderness to one another (see what i did?)

20 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I really don't think Ozzy Osbourne has any need to talk either, with his track record of absolutely everything our guys have done and then some  :lol:

I wouldn't know, i don't know anything about Black Sabbath as people :lol: Was there drama, too? I presume yes from this :lol:

Edited by giuls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, starlight said:

@Lumikki Slash claimed that "I Hate Everybody But You" was written for Renee, I think he said that in his book

Thanks, didn't remember that. But Renee makes sense as well, yeah.

2 hours ago, giuls said:

the "i love you" part, it may not be a romantic i love you, i'm thinking about Axl's "i will still be your friend" in that famous interview, it was said very non-chalantly, it's not a stretch that they talked about what it would happen if they failed and saying to each other "no matter what, we'll always have eachother" and i can see Slash opening with "Axl, i'm saying it because i love you and i'm your friend" when he thought Axl was going to freak out about what he has to said to try to keep him calm.

1 hour ago, Asia said:

They used the word love in relation to how they feel about each other about a million times, Axl even said "I love you" to Slash on stage, you've got plenty of footage where they would hug each other in a way that was really VERY affectionate, what makes anyone think they weren't telling each other I love you on a regular basis? Isn't that what you do in loving families?

I guess we really should understand thet their relationship was not the regular friendship, being buddies or whatever but much, much more. As Duff once said - "Would I ever get in that kind of relationship with some other guy? No way!". It was a very special one of a kind thing they had between them and even though I don't personally believe they fucked, I think it was in fact quite romantic. Or just watch that video I made and tell me it ain't love and it ain't quite romantic ;)

The bolded is exactly my point. Slash and Axl used to be very affectionate with each other and clearly loved each other (whether in a platonic, romantic or god knows what way- I didn't necessarily interpret that line in any specific way, just in a general way). So Slash going "I had to say I loved you just to try and keep the peace" is basically him saying he never liked Axl anyway, but he had to pretend that he did in order to keep Axl happy. Which I find hard to believe considering all the evidence to the contrary.

The reason why I said this sounds more like something Slash would say about some woman is because Slash has been in plenty of relationships with women that he didn't really care for, but to keep things peaceful he pretended otherwise and didn't tell them about the cheating, drugs etc. (just like he did with Meegan). But Axl? I doubt all the closeness that can be seen bewteen them was just acting on Slash's part to keep things smooth in the band.

1 hour ago, Asia said:

I have no desire whatsoever to tell you it ain't like that :lol:

As for whether they fucked or not... depends on how you look at it I guess. As has been established earlier on in the thread, they were at least involved in a number of sexual situations together (though you could say that about all the guys in the band probably). And then of course you have people like Adriana Smith who say Axl liked to have Slash in bed with him/them as a "fun, naughty" thing. Or something like that, it's been a while since I read that. But iirc she said "it was just one of these things we did...", making it sound like Axl dragging Slash into bed was something that happened more than once. Make of that what you will :P

2 hours ago, giuls said:

@Lumikki i don't take that orphan line literally, Slash talked about Axl crying about his home life all the time, he has a loving family and wasn't it Slash that told a story about how no-one but Axl's grandma went to see them in concert when they were in Indiana and that's why he only likes Axl's grandma because he thought it was sad for Axl? so i don't think it's a stretch that he would equate Axl as an orphan, plus, him saying in public that daddy was his best friend and what he said to his favorite confidant where he didn't have to save face may have been two different things.

"movie screen" line: Axl was (is?) obsessed with fame and luxury (male and female servant?) Slash wanted to make it, sure, but it was more about the music, to him the money was a minor point in confront of the importance placed in money and being famous by Axl, Slash has less problems about control and he has a less extravagant life style in confront of Axl, Axl is a diva, you know what i mean?

And yes, the bruises and the lousy lay are kinda cruel and a cheap shot (males and their virility...) but this is an angry song and he would try to hurt Axl, this is the same man that admitted to fanning the flames of the feud and that in 2010 published a song about Axl with the line "to me you're dead" and this something you say to hurt people, he could have said "thank you, Ozzy, but maybe it's a bit much" and this was in 2010, in 1994/95 the wounds were still fresh

Yeah, but I said "Assuming we're supposed to take these lines literally..." :P If I look at it the way you do, yeah, then I agree, Axl was an orphan in the sense that he didn't really have a loving family who had his back and was kinda alone and lost in that regard. Same goes for the movie screen line.

And I don't doubt Slash would try to hurt Axl, but the lousy lay thing just seems really... random? and out of the blue? to me compared to a line like "to me you're dead" which makes sense considering the over-all context of the song. "To me you're dead" just seems angry and hateful, the other thing seems unnecessarily intimate/personal and like a low blow. But like you said, that might just be dumb male virility thing.

• Like 1

The bolded is exactly my point. Slash and Axl used to be very affectionate with each other and clearly loved each other (whether in a platonic, romantic or god knows what way- I didn't necessarily interpret that line in any specific way, just in a general way). So Slash going "I had to say I loved you just to try and keep the peace" is basically him saying he never liked Axl anyway, but he had to pretend that he did in order to keep Axl happy. Which I find hard to believe considering all the evidence to the contrary.

The reason why I said this sounds more like something Slash would say about some woman is because Slash has been in plenty of relationships with women that he didn't really care for, but to keep things peaceful he pretended otherwise and didn't tell them about the cheating, drugs etc. (just like he did with Meegan). But Axl? I doubt all the closeness that can be seen bewteen them was just acting on Slash's part to keep things smooth in the band.

Unless he wanted to be mean, which is very likely ;) Beause he was angry. Plus he said himself - every song he wrote on that album is about one person and the person is Axl. SO I guess I won't quarrel with him ;)

As for whether they fucked or not... depends on how you look at it I guess. As has been established earlier on in the thread, they were at least involved in a number of sexual situations together (though you could say that about all the guys in the band probably). And then of course you have people like Adriana Smith who say Axl liked to have Slash in bed with him/them as a "fun, naughty" thing. Or something like that, it's been a while since I read that. But iirc she said "it was just one of these things we did...", making it sound like Axl dragging Slash into bed was something that happened more than once. Make of that what you will :P

By fucked I meant literally fucked and literally one another. That they liked doing it to others together is another story and I'm pretty sure it was the case. ;) Definitely there's a fine line here somewhere that is not so easy to define when you speak about it, I agree with you on that one.

12 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Means tht Slash's love to Axl is genuine than to Women :rolleyes:

Means tht *Maybe* His relationship with Women is just a facade to cover His relationship with Axl :awesomeface::rolleyes:

Edited by SerenityScorp

18 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

I didn't take that as something that happened as soon as they moved in together but later when shit hit the fan and the emotions between them weren't as warm and fuzzy anymore or Slash could have been  frustrated that Axl needed affirmation of his love again and again or he would freak out.

I don't know about Slaxl's activity in the bedroom @Asia and @Lumikki but it sure makes for a nice topic of discussion :lol:

4 hours ago, alfierose said:

Sorry but heading down this line of thinking I feel is uncalled for on a public forum. I appreciate these girls have IG accounts but they are not public figures. I defend the existence of this thread a fair bit so please don't push it too far with the unfounded speculations.

omg it was a joke.....

see? @Andy14 and @Lumikki, why would i even bother?? :facepalm:

44 minutes ago, killuridols said:

omg it was a joke.....

see? @Andy14 and @Lumikki, why would i even bother?? :facepalm:

It's not always obvious with your style of posting whether something is meant one way or another. Regardless it's been made clear before that too much focus and discussion of the band's family members crosses a line if they are not in the public eye themselves.

9 minutes ago, alfierose said:

It's not always obvious with your style of posting whether something is meant one way or another. Regardless it's been made clear before that too much focus and discussion of the band's family members crosses a line if they are not in the public eye themselves.

really? to me it looks like they are in the 'public eye'... but i dont know... might be just my impression...

slash-with-family-at-universal-studios-h

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

really? to me it looks like they are in the 'public eye'... but i dont know... might be just my impression...

slash-with-family-at-universal-studios-h

As far as I'm aware they are not public figures in their own right. Slash is in a relationship with their mother which, in my opinion, isn't enough of a reason to discuss them on a personal level.

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

As far as I'm aware they are not public figures in their own right. Slash is in a relationship with their mother which, in my opinion, isn't enough of a reason to discuss them on a personal level.

I guess its a matter of opinion because ive been told different by someone who is actually a public figure themselves.

Anyway, i think this whole issue has been blown way out of proportion when it was just meant to be a silly comment on something as silly as Slash liking tweets....

Maybe Good To Be Alive is about Meegan :P

Slash didn't really love her either, he also didn't like her throwing parties (explaining that line in the song), and I don't know, I guess Meegan tried to make it in L.A. as well and never really did make it.

Okay, probably not, but that theory popped into my head while reading the thread lol.

9 hours ago, Lumikki said:

You told me you're an orphan

The same old standard line
Then when we moved in together
All you did was moan and cry
Talkin' like you'd make it
On life's big movie screen
I had to say I loved you
Just to try and keep the peace

This entire bit here for example. Assuming we're supposed to take these lines literally, I think they fit better with some random woman than with Axl.

- Axl told Slash he was an orphan? Doubtful. Back when they first met and were really close, Axl was still in his "Daddy is my best friend" phase (or getting there). Though it's possible he said something like that later to him during the 90s I guess...

- But then again the 90s wouldn't fit with the time line proposed in the song: "Then when we moved in together". Also, what would Slash be talking about here by him and Axl moving in together? Axl living with Slash's family for a while? Them all living in the storage space? "Then when we moved in together" sounds more like something two people (a couple) would do; moving in together into a new place. I know Axl supposedly had aspirations to do just that with Slash, but since that never worked out...

- All you did was moan and cry. That does sound like Axl, granted. And how Slash would probably describe Axl rambling about his feelings if he was in a less charitable mood.

I couldn't make excuses about
Everything you said
You want to show your bruises
Let's throw a party for the band
Now here they come a dancin'
Like the powder to your nose
Why don't you cut your head off
Spite your face let's do the show

This does sound like it's about Axl. Though the "You want to show your bruises" line kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth, even though Slash probably was just whining about Axl being all "woe is me" all the time.

Even if we take the word "orphan" literally, it isn't impossible that Axl might have used it in the sense that he had lost his biological father (although at that time he didn't know his real father's whereabouts, even whether he was alive, but it was also years before the "regression therapy" revealed the alleged molestation). But, like @giuls, I don't take it literally. Slash said in his book that Axl had talked to him about his childhood in Indiana and his hard time with his family. As for Axl saying publicly about being friends with his stepfather etc, this was in 1988-89 when he was at another stage (he was rich and famous, and maybe he was hoping that this could mark a new beginning with his family and was trying to find excuses for what his stepdad had done to him); he most likely wasn't feeling the same way in 1985.

- "Talkin' like you'd make it on life's big movie screen" Seems weird that he would criticize Axl for that when they all had the same dream (and when they did indeed make it). Sounds more like these countless girls who come to L.A. with hopes of being an actress or a model or something, but then they never make it and end up as strippers or porn stars (just like all the girls they used to hang out with; Adriana Smith, etc.)

You're right, Slash was very ambitious too and all of them wanted to make it, but as @giuls said, Axl's dreams were more grandiose.

- "I had to say I loved you just to try and keep the peace". Also sounds more like something a nagging girlfriend would demand. I can't really see Slash feeling pressured (or Axl demanding from Slash) to tell him that he loves him. Whether in private or while talking to the media.

5 hours ago, Lumikki said:
8 hours ago, giuls said:

the "i love you" part, it may not be a romantic i love you, i'm thinking about Axl's "i will still be your friend" in that famous interview, it was said very non-chalantly, it's not a stretch that they talked about what it would happen if they failed and saying to each other "no matter what, we'll always have each other" and i can see Slash opening with "Axl, i'm saying it because i love you and i'm your friend" when he thought Axl was going to freak out about what he has to said to try to keep him calm.

8 hours ago, Asia said:

I interpret this line the same way as @giuls did in the part in bold. Slash may have had to appease Axl by telling him he loved him and he was his friend. "Had to" doesn't mean that Slash didn't really feel it the time he said it and that he was pretending, or that he didn't feel it in general. But when he wrote these lyrics he was very angry.

"And the ugly truth has raped you / They're saying you're a lousy lay". Unfortunate word choices aside (because yes, like @giuls said, this is kind of cruel too if we're assuming the song is about Axl), what the hell is that? :lol: Slash randomly taking a cheap shot at Axl's skills in bed? And who's saying Axl is a lousy lay? Were there rumors about that back in the day? And why would Slash care anyway? :P (Plus, it's not like Slash has much room to talk here, if groupies and ex-wives are to be believed :lol::facepalm:)

And I don't doubt Slash would try to hurt Axl, but the lousy lay thing just seems really... random? and out of the blue? to me compared to a line like "to me you're dead" which makes sense considering the over-all context of the song. "To me you're dead" just seems angry and hateful, the other thing seems unnecessarily intimate/personal and like a low blow. But like you said, that might just be dumb male virility thing.

The "lousy lay" line seems random if taken literally, i.e. as being about Axl's skills in bed, but it may be read as "lousy husband/boyfriend", because the time the songs were written Axl was dealing with Stephanie's and Erin's lawsuits and maybe Slash was taking shots at him about that (it also fits with the previous "the ugly truth has raped you" line). Yes, it would be mean on Slash's part (as well as the "show the bruises" and "I had to say I love you" lines), but considering how angry and bitter he was at that time (Axl had rejected his songs, the "Sympathy for the Devil" story, Tobias etc) it makes sense that he wanted to be mean.

Having said all that, and although content wise this song may very well have been about Axl imo, there's something which makes me think that the lyrics are Eric Dover's and not Slash's. Compared to the songs Slash stated (in the quotes @lilacmess posted) he wrote the lyrics to, this one seems more... well written? I mean, judging from these songs, it's obvious that lyrics writing isn't exactly Slash's strong point :P

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

On 4.10.2016 at 4:22 PM, Kara said:

I was just thinking the same thing! Must be someone here on the forum :facepalm:

@Lumikki thanks for clearing it up for me! I keep seeing it pop up all over IG and I've had my doubts every time. This last time I had to finally ask because it was really bothering me to even think it was a fake picture. I'll never understand why ppl start passing around photos/ information that isn't real. Everyone should find out the truth before they post anything, and I'll be sure to let them know it if I ever see anything like that again.

Yeah, I don't get why people do this either. Thankfully I don't use Instagram much; all the misinformation being spread around on there wouldn't be good for my blood pressure :P

4 hours ago, giuls said:

I didn't take that as something that happened as soon as they moved in together but later when shit hit the fan and the emotions between them weren't as warm and fuzzy anymore or Slash could have been  frustrated that Axl needed affirmation of his love again and again or he would freak out.

I don't know about Slaxl's activity in the bedroom @Asia and @Lumikki but it sure makes for a nice topic of discussion :lol:

That's a really sad thought, but after thinking about this some more, and with Axl being as insecure as he is and having so many issues, I think I could see something along these lines happening.

God, these two are such a mess.

4 hours ago, Asia said:

Unless he wanted to be mean, which is very likely ;) Beause he was angry. Plus he said himself - every song he wrote on that album is about one person and the person is Axl. SO I guess I won't quarrel with him ;)

By fucked I meant literally fucked and literally one another. That they liked doing it to others together is another story and I'm pretty sure it was the case. ;) Definitely there's a fine line here somewhere that is not so easy to define when you speak about it, I agree with you on that one.

Yeah, but according to that "I Hate Everybody But You" is about Axl too :P

And yes, things get blurry with these two when it comes to that issue. I have no idea whether they ever had sex with each other (without any women involved) or not. On the one hand, they don't even need to have gone that far to be as emotionally entangled as they are, on the other hand, I wouldn't exactly be shocked either. Nothing shocks me anymore when it comes to this band and these two in particular :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The "lousy lay" line seems random if taken literally, i.e. as being about Axl's skills in bed, but it may be read as "lousy husband/boyfriend", because the time the songs were written Axl was dealing with Stephanie's and Erin's lawsuits and maybe Slash was taking shots at him about that (it also fits with the previous "the ugly truth has raped you" line). Yes, it would be mean on Slash's part (as well as the "show the bruises" and "I had to say I love you" lines), but considering how angry and bitter he was at that time (Axl had rejected his songs, the "Sympathy for the Devil" story, Tobias etc) it makes sense that he wanted to be mean.

Having said all that, and although content wise this song may very well have been about Axl imo, there's something which makes me think that the lyrics are Eric Dover's and not Slash's. Compared to the songs Slash stated (in the quotes @lilacmess posted) he wrote the lyrics to, this one seems more... well written? I mean, judging from these songs, it's obvious that lyrics writing isn't exactly Slash's strong point :P

Yeah, the "lousy husband/boyfriend" interpretation has crossed my mind as well, but that would still be pretty nasty and low, considering all the court drama going on at the time. Which is probably exactly what Slash intended then, but... I don't know. I guess I'm just not a fan of people talking like that about each other even when they're fighting and really angry at someone. I try not do that myself and I don't like seeing Slash do it either. You don't have to be quite as harsh to express anger and disappoinment.

I can't help but wonder how Axl felt when he read all those lyrics. If Axl hadn't realized before that these songs were about him, he definitely knows now after reading Slash's book (and if he didn't know before, he probably ran straight for his copy of "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" after reading that part in Slash's book).

And yeah, the lyrics do feel slightly different, but I'm not really familiar enough with Slash's lyric writing (apart from the things you said lol) to judge if this was written by him or not.

For the record, I'm not actually trying to argue against that song being about Axl all that much, it probably is about Axl, what I meant to say in my original post is that I don't feel as certain about this one being about Axl as I do about Take It Away or WDYWTB, because it just feels a little different to me, for whatever reasons.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

And yeah, the lyrics do feel slightly different, but I'm not really familiar enough with Slash's lyric writing (apart from the things you said lol) to judge if this was written by him or not.

He hasn't written other lyrics besides those songs on the first Snakepit album, has he?

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He hasn't written other lyrics besides those songs on the first Snakepit album, has he?

Does "Where the girls are fat and got big titties" count? :P

I remember there was some discussion about certain lyrics in Slash's newer songs actually being written by Slash (like Crucify the Dead for example, with Slash letting Ozzy take the blame lol).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Asia said:

I don't get that part. Who was Duff talking about there? Slash? All the other guys in the band?

7 hours ago, giuls said:

or Slash could have been  frustrated that Axl needed affirmation of his love again and again or he would freak out.

What exactly are you talking about/picturing here?

All I'm seeing in my mind after reading that sentence are psycho thriller-like scenes (maybe mixed with some dramatic chickflick moments) and it's both horrifying and hilarious :lol:

19 minutes ago, Frey said:

I remember there was some discussion about certain lyrics in Slash's newer songs actually being written by Slash (like Crucify the Dead for example, with Slash letting Ozzy take the blame lol).

'A loaded gun jammed by a rose' :facepalm:

The pinnacle of song writing or what :lol:

That song is just so cringe. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah, I think Slash had said something along the lines of "It has nothing to do with Axl, I didn't write it, Ozzy wrote it inspired by his own experiences with other musicians". Then Ozzy said something like "I wrote it inspired by what happened with Slash and Axl" :lol:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

'A loaded gun jammed by a rose' :facepalm:

The pinnacle of song writing or what :lol:

That song is just so cringe. 

Cringe indeed. Considering Slash's lyrical "prowess" on the Snakepit songs, him actually being the one who penned CtD seems like a pretty good bet to me.

(I'd say he even got worse in that case, instead of better. I find none of the Snakepit lyrics as cringeworthy as the CtD ones).

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I think Slash had said something along the lines of "It has nothing to do with Axl, I didn't write it, Ozzy wrote it inspired by his own experiences with other musicians". Then Ozzy said something like "I wrote it inspired by what happened with Slash and Axl" :lol:

They should have gotten their stories straight before talking about that song in public :lol:

Slash was probably afraid of royally pissing Axl off with that song and completely blowing any chances of a future reunion (no matter how small), so he asked his good buddy Ozzy to take the fall or something.

• Like 1