GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

Just now, SerenityScorp said:

Ive read somewhere, About 14 years Song, They wrote same songs about 14 years, Izzy write it about Axl, but Axl thinks its for a Girl

Axl is in denial! Nothing new when it comes to Axl :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Padme said:

Axl is in denial! Nothing new when it comes to Axl :rolleyes:

Well from what I remember Izzy and Axl both wrote a song called 14 years, and they smushed them together into one song. (This much is true).

Supposedly Izzy had written the song about Axl (which makes sense, considering that at that point Axl and Izzy had known each other for 14 years, and all the negative sentiments might be how he felt about Axl during that time), but told Axl it was about some girl because he didn't want to upset him.

This is generally how the story is told and it's kind of become something everyone believes/knows now, but I've never actually seen a source for this. So if anyone has an Izzy quote saying he wrote that song about his and Axl's relationship, I'd love to see it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/216690-guitar-world-slash-izzy-stradlin/

Dont forget tht these two are Axl's ex lover N' They both fight over Axl :rolleyes:

But isnt Axl thinks tht 14 years is about a Girl?

Izzy is Axl's ex-boyfriend too now?

Damn, this band is a case for the Jerry Springer show :P

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I wonder if Slash asked or said something to Axl about Sorry. According to what Axl said in the interview, Slash and Duff asked him which CD songs he wanted to play. He probably said "this, this, this ... and Sorry - no, it's not about you" :lol:

I've wondered about this as well. I mean it's very likely that Slash figured Sorry was about him, so it probably had to come up somehow. I could see them ignoring the song's existence and never talking about it if they never played it, but since they did decide to play it...

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There are lines that could be about Slash (e.g. "You know that I/got under your skin/You sold your soul/but I won't let you win) and others that don't make sense to me being about him (e.g. You've got all the answers/You know everything/Why nobody asked you/'s a mystery to me", "You don't know who in the hell to/or not to believe").

I prefer Sorry to CtD too, but the lyrics are below Axl's ability. I like it musically though, especially its live rendition in the NITL tour; it's funny that the only two CD songs which imo sounded good in this tour (Sorry and the title track) are the weakest lyrically.

I think CtD was more Slash's answer to the "cancer" thing than to Sorry. Sorry (if it's about Slash) is not as explicit as Slash's songs about Axl, unless "shut up and sing" was Slash's exact words.

Yeah, Axl could do better, but it amuses me how childish and petty the lyrics are lol.

Here's who/what I think the various lines are about:

Purple = Slash

Orange = Slash and/or the public aka media and fans (basically lines that could apply to either or maybe actually are directed at both)

Blue = the public (media and fans)

You like to hurt me
You know that you do
You like to think
In some way
That it's me
And not you
(But we know that isn't true)

You like to have me
Jump an be good
But I...
Don't want to do it

You don't know why
I won't act the way
You think I should

You thought they'd make me
Behave and submit (submit)

What were you thinking
Cause I don't forget

You don't know why
I won't give in
To hell with the pressure
I'm not cavin' in

You know that I
Got under your skin
You sold your soul
But I won't let you win

You talk too much
You say I do

Difference is nobody cares about you

You've got all the answers
You know everything
Why nobody asked you
'S a mystery to me

I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You don't know who in the hell to
or not to believe
I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You don't know who you can trust now
Or you should believe
You should believe
You don't know who you can trust now
Or you should believe

You close your eyes
All well and good
I'll kick your ass
Like I said that I would

You tell them stories they'd rather believe
Use and confuse them
They're numb and naive

Truth is the truth hurts
Don't you agree?

It's harder to live
With the truth about you
Than to live with
The lies about me

Nobody owes you
Not one goddamn thing

You know where to put your
Just shut up and sing

I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You don't know who in the hell to
Or not to believe
I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me

You choose to hurt those that love you
An won't see them free
Won't see them free
You choose to hurt those that love you
And won't see them free

You don't need
Anyone else to be
Sorry for you

You've got no heart
You can't see
All that you've done for me
I know the reasons
You tear me apart

Edited by Frey
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Frey said:

Did Axl ever seem afraid of Slash leaving before he actually left? I can't think of anything indicating that at the moment. I always had the impression that Axl was pretty shocked when Slash left.

Also your explanation didn't actually help :P I'm still seeing something awful like this in my mind:

Axl (with suspiciously shiny and wet eyes): I thought you'd agree with me on this one, Slash? Why are you being so stubborn about this? Don't you care about our band anymore?

Slash (sighing internally): Of course I care. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with you on everything.

Axl (with actual tears in his eyes now): You always used to agree with me on everything. You're just being stubborn to be an ass. Why are you doing that to me? Don't you care about me anymore?

Slash (internal sighing becomes external sighing): Of course I care about you. /awkwardly pets Axl's head

Axl (with an angry expression appearing on his face): You're lying! You're always lying! You don't love me! You never did!

Slash (cringing): Of course I love you. /awkward petting continues

Axl (sobbing now): I don't believe you. Sooner or later you're gonna leave. Just like Izzy and everyone else.

Slash (thinking he hasn't got enought JD in him to deal with this shit): It's the truth. I love you and I'm never gonna leave you.

Axl (looking at Slash with teary eyes): Promise?

Slash (sighing internally again): Yes, I promise to never leave.

[Many years later]

...cancer! ...to me you're dead!... soul-less imposter!... all axl's fault!... better removed and avoided!... loaded gun jammed by a rose!... just shut up and sing!... liar!... control freak!... pedo supporter!... power hungry!... you like to hurt me, you know that you do!... sell-out!... not in this lifetime!

--------------------------------

Good thing I don't write movies or TV shows, they'de be the worst and most cliched ones ever :P

I think Sorry is about Slash, but also about the public (the media and the fans). These two things seem to be pretty entwined in Axl's mind anyway, since he blamed Slash a lot for his own bad reputation and the public's perception of him.

But yeah, I agree :lol: (though I much prefer Sorry compared to CtD). Maybe they should try writing songs full of positive emotions about their recently re-discovered love for each other instead lol.

"Pats awkwardly on head" ... brilliant ... I'm in stitches at the JD bit too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

I also want to discuss lyrics with you :cry: but real life and work won't let me :max::max::max:

Výsledek obrázku pro computer guy angry

Just post your thoughts on whichever songs you want to comment on whenever you get the time.

I always love hearing other people's interpretations.

23 minutes ago, money honey said:

"Pats awkwardly on head" ... brilliant ... I'm in stitches at the JD bit too.

Lol thanks, glad the stupidity going on in my brain was amusing to you :lol:

Edited by Frey

28 minutes ago, Frey said:

:awesomeface::awesomeface:

But you see, Axl and Izzy probably were childhood sweethearts, then Axl followed Izzy to L.A. (couldn't bear to be left behind) and all was fine for a while. Izzy found a nice little job as a heroin dealer and took care of Axl's overwhelmed ass and watched out for him. Axl waited in their cosy little shithole apartment for him to come home from "work" and served him meals of plain rice and nothing else. It was all very idyllic.

Aww:wub:

Kudos to you Frey, that was really cute and romantic but...

NO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Aww:wub:

Kudos to you Frey, that was really cute and romantic but...

NO.

:max:

(The part you quoted was the one mostly based on reality though :P Even them eating plain rice is true, I distinctly remember reading something about that on here, so.... YES. :awesomeface:)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't believe I've ever contributed to the this, but there's a first time for everything!

Personally, I have never believed Sorry is about Slash. For my money, it's The Blues that is 100% about Slash.

You're not alone with that opinion.

I remember there were some people arguing that SoD/The Blues is about Slash when that song was discussed here some time ago.

I could see it being that way too. I think it's either about Slash or another Seymour/Everly ballad, both interpretations make sense to me. Though I'm leaning towards Slash a bit more because of the original title and a few lines in the song.

51 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't believe I've ever contributed to the this, but there's a first time for everything!

Personally, I have never believed Sorry is about Slash. For my money, it's The Blues that is 100% about Slash.

Glad you joined the madness, didn't see that coming  :wow:

And yeah I do agree SOD is about Slash. Sorry I always thought it was too but now, after they played it during the tour, I have my doubts.

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Well the line "what I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore" hint Slash because Axl thought that the good  Slash die of an OD. And some bad spirit got iinside of him after he came back to life. But it would be sad to know that was the case. How come Axl used to believe that bullshit? :facepalm:

Other than that I don't see much Slash related content in the song. But maybe you are right and the song is about Slash. I believe This I Love is about Erin :shrugs:

Edited by Padme

2 hours ago, Padme said:

Well the line "what I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore" hint Slash because Axl thought that the good  Slash die of an OD. And some bad spirit got iinside of him after he came back to life. But it would be sad to know that was the case. How come Axl used to believe that bullshit? :facepalm:

That right there has to be at the top 5 of craziest things said by Axl Rose.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jane M. said:
3 hours ago, Padme said:

That right there has to be at the top 5 of craziest things said by Axl Rose.

But Axl never said that, did he?

Wasn't it just Tom Zutaut who claimed that Axl believed that?