GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

19 minutes ago, Frey said:

But Axl never said that, did he?

Wasn't it just Tom Zutaut who claimed that Axl believed that?

It's something Axl told Zutaut. If it wasn't to Zutaut directly it was to other people. Axl believe in reincarnation and past life. He also believe that Erin and Stephanie were sisters in some past life. There is  long RS article from 2001 or so about all these stuff Axl had said. The article tilte is The Lost Years. Axl really belives or used to believe in really bizarre things

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

It's something Axl told Zutaut. If it wasn't to Zutaut directly it was to other people. Axl believe in reincarnation and past life. He also believe that Erin and Stephanie were sisters in some past life. There is  long RS article from 2001 or so about all these stuff Axl had said. The article tilte is The Lost Years. Axl really belives or used to believe in really bizarre things

Yeah, I've read all these articles and I'm very aware of all the crazy things Axl supposedly believed over the years, but believing that Slash's soul is not his own anymore and that the Slash we have now is basically just a different person walking around in Slash's skin is even crazier than all the past life stuff.

I'm not willing to believe Axl is quite that crazy, especially when the only source we have for that claim (as far as I know) is Tom fucking Zutaut. Who has a habit of telling questionable, bizarre stories.

Among other things, Tom Zutaut was also the one who recently claimed Axl's stepfather used to rape him in public toilets. Which I think is a) an incredibly inappropriate thing to bring up in some random interview and it's really not his place to talk about this stuff, even if Axl told him about it and b) Axl has never said anything like that and has never accused his stepfather of sexually abusing him.

Because of this and other things that guy has said, I'm rather skeptical of anything that comes from Tom Zutaut. I think I actually talked about this to someone on here ( @stella maybe?) before, because other people have noticed Tom Zutaut always telling weird stories as well.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah that, but there's more:

All the love in the world couldn't save you
All the innocence inside
You know I tried so hard to make you
Oh to make you change your mind

Slash has talked to about this. According to Slash Axl couldn't believe that he would really leave and went to crazy lengths to make him stay, calling everyone Slash knew etc. Axl even called Slash's dad and asked him to make Slash stay.

And it hurts too much to see you
And how you left yourself behind

You know I wouldn't want to be you
Now there's a hell I can't describe

This is in line with stuff Axl has said about Slash in interviews, about how he's disappointed in him and basically calling him a sell-out.

"I mean, with Slash, I remember crying about all kinds of things in my life, but I had never felt ... hot, burning tears of anger. Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away."

The last two lines are similar to the sentiments expressed in Prostitute, about how unlike Slash, Axl wouldn't want to be a whore for fortune and fame.

So now I wander through my days
Trying to find my ways
To the feelings that I felt
I saved for you and no one else

Sounds kinda gay admittedly, but Axl did talk about how much Slash's emotional style of guitar playing meant to him and how hard it was to find someone else like that. And as this thread has taught me, Axl and Slash did have a relationship quite different (and more intense and emotionally charged) than the rest of the guys in the band, so the "feelings that I felt for you and no one else" line might actually be quite appropriate. Or he's just talking about the feelings Slash's guitar playing cause in him lol.

And though as long as this road seems
I know it's called the street of dreams
But that's not stardust on my feet
It leaves a taste that's bittersweet
That's called the blues

Going on without Slash is bittersweet. The last line might be a bit of a play on words, it expresses both Axl's depression about Slash leaving and also references Slash's blues-style playing.

I don't know just what I should do
Everywhere I go I see you
You know it's what you planned, this much is true
What I thought was beautiful, don't live inside of you anymore

Axl doesn't know how to move forward, he sees Slash everywhere he goes because unlike Axl, Slash didn't hide away from the world and was omnipresent in the media and at public events. The third line reminds me of a line in What Do You Want To Be: "And you ain't been out in days / Will the sunshine burn your face / Preserve your precious skin / I'll go out, you stay in" That's what Slash wrote back in the mid 90s and that's exactly what happened. Slash went out and did his thing, being everywhere, while Axl holed up in his mansion.

The last line is about him thinking Slash is not the same anymore, him not being able to see the things in him that he used to see. Maybe even him thinking that Slash's soul got swapped with someone else's when he OD'd (if that ridiculous story is even true).

What this means to me
Is more than I know you believe
What I thought of you now
Has cost more than it should for me

He doesn't believe Slash ever felt the same way about him and the band, didn't care as much. And him thinking so highly of Slash and being so involved and dependent on him (in a professional sense and in a personal one) has left him a broken man, struggling to move forward.

What I thought was true before
Were lies I couldn't see
What I thought was beautiful
Is only memories

All the things he thought were beautiful, good and true about Slash were only lies. Which fits, because Slash is a huge liar in Axl's mind. I mean he still didn't miss a chance to immediately talk about all the lies in Slash's book, even after their reunion. And I think it was @Blackstar who once pointed out that Axl has a habit of looking back at things and re-interpreting them from his current situation, often twisting them in the process.

And the original title of the song itself, "The Blues", might be a reference to Slash as well, as I pointed out above. Maybe that's why Axl changed the title, to make it less obvious.

(Credit for a lot of these thoughts probably goes to @Lumikki, @Blackstar and other people. I feel like I stole a lot of ideas in this analysis from other people that have previously talked about this in this thread :P)

Great analysis of the song and it's how I would have done it myself. In my opinion it describes perfectly how Axl felt about Slash at that time. And it's hard to explain the lyrics in a different way, they are correlated to things Axl himself has told about Slash in interviews.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't think the "what I thought was beautiful...." line has anything to do with spirits or anything like that at all. I think the lyrics that refer to what was "beautiful" in Slash are talking about his art. Axl was very vocal about not liking things Slash did outside of GN'R. He's made comments that it wasn't up to par with his material in GN'R and how Slash was doing that type of work for a paycheck.

I think the entire song is Axl being upset with Slash. I'm not saying any of it is justified, but I definitely think that's what the lyrics are about. I think the first part of the song leading up to the chorus is Axl's usual "woe is me" bit, going on about how much effort he put into getting Slash to view things his way. Because they don't agree, that means Slash must have lost something.

The second half of the song is more about proving he's right to the rest of the world and Slash in particular. One of my favorite Axl stanzas of all time is the "What this means to me is more than I know you believe" section. The way I take it, it's him talking directly to Slash and maybe the entire original lineup. Then he goes on to say "What I thought of you now, has cost more than it should for me". I think that's more woe is me from Axl, it seems that he's saying if he hadn't helped make Slash into such a big deal, moving on from him wouldn't matter to the world as much.

This is all just my POV on the song, but it's how I've always felt about it.

edit-
I didn't read the rest of the thread before I replied. Apparently I should have just replied with "What Frey said" seeing as we pretty much have the same exact opinion on the lyrics :lol:

I undertand your point of view. But writing a ballad (almost love song) about the fact that he didn't like to see Slash performing with Michael Jackson and others. And not liking Snakepit songs. I just don't see how that anger or disapoitment fit the entire song. For that matter anyone could argue that TWAT was also about Slash.

Axl said in the chats that the songs are about many people and many events. He only made a clear explanation about Riad and CITR. Everything else is open for all kind of interpretations.

35 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah, I've read all these articles and I'm very aware of all the crazy things Axl supposedly believed over the years, but believing that Slash's soul is not his own anymore and that the Slash we have now is basically just a different person walking around in Slash's skin is even crazier than all the past life stuff.

I'm not willing to believe Axl is quite that crazy, especially when the only source we have for that claim (as far as I know) is Tom fucking Zutaut. Who has a habit of telling questionable, bizarre stories.

Among other things, Tom Zutaut was also the one who recently claimed Axl's stepfather used to rape him in public toilets. Which I think is a) an incredibly inappropriate thing to bring up in some random interview and it's really not his place to talk about this stuff, even if Axl told him about it and b) Axl has never said anything like that and has never accused his stepfather of sexually abusing him.

Because of this and other things that guy has said, I'm rather skeptical of anything that comes from Tom Zutaut. I think I actually talked about this to someone on here ( @stella maybe?) before, because other people have noticed Tom Zutaut always telling weird stories as well.

First I never read any statement from Axl denying all those claims. No lawsuit against RS nor any kind of action taken against Zutaut or other people for making those comments, making that documentary. Further more Axl himself said  in  a chat with fans right after RIR 2001 that he believe the good things about Slash die when he had the OD. The chat I mentioned took place in the pool side of the hotel. He even made the comparison with the scene in Pulp Fiction when Mia Wallace ODed.

13 minutes ago, Padme said:

First I never read any statement from Axl denying all those claims. No lawsuit against RS nor any kind of action taken against Zutaut or other people for making those comments, making that documentary. Further more Axl himself said  in  a chat with fans right after RIR 2001 that he believe the good things about Slash die when he had the OD. The chat I mentioned took place in the pool side of the hotel. He even made the comparison with the scene in Pulp Fiction when Mia Wallace ODed.

For the most part, Axl's never really defended himself in public over any accusations, whether true or not. And if Axl denied every shitty claim made about him or sued everyone who ever wrote/said anything less than flattering about him, he'd never get anything done (or rather even less). He's usually already involved in enough legal trouble and other bullshit as it is, no need to add even more to it.

Do you have a source for the bolded? Or anyone else? I've never heard anything about any "pool side chats".

36 minutes ago, Frey said:

For the most part, Axl's never really defended himself in public over any accusations, whether true or not. And if Axl denied every shitty claim made about him or sued everyone who ever wrote/said anything less than flattering about him, he'd never get anything done (or rather even less). He's usually already involved in enough legal trouble and other bullshit as it is, no need to add even more to it.

Do you have a source for the bolded? Or anyone else? I've never heard anything about any "pool side chats".

Well the chat thing was everywhere at the time. I mean media and some forums. Besides that  I have another source... Me, I was there :)

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Then he goes on to say "What I thought of you now, has cost more than it should for me". I think that's more woe is me from Axl, it seems that he's saying if he hadn't helped make Slash into such a big deal, moving on from him wouldn't matter to the world as much.

I agree it's a case of "woe is me" but not related to the public more of a "if i knew that you were such a big jerk, i would never have worked with you and be your friend because now i'm pain" and yes, it has ties to music too but i was thinking more of how he said he was difficult creating without Slash than of the reaction of the public, for the rest, again, i agree!

19 minutes ago, giuls said:

I agree it's a case of "woe is me" but not related to the public more of a "if i knew that you were such a big jerk, i would never have worked with you and be your friend because now i'm pain" and yes, it has ties to music too but i was thinking more of how he said he was difficult creating without Slash than of the reaction of the public, for the rest, again, i agree!

The way I equate it to the public is the "what I thought of you has cost more than it should for me". That along with "everywhere I go I see you" makes me think that he's referring to the fact that everyone always asks him about Slash or the people that say "it's not GNR without Slash" 

I completely agree with your point too though. I just think the lyric is meant to be internal and external. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Well the chat thing was everywhere at the time. I mean media and some forums. Besides that  I have another source... Me, I was there :)

You've met and talked to Axl? I thought @Lumikki was the only one here who had met Axl.

Tell us about it! :lol:

• Like 1

Axl can't really believe a crow took slashs soul :lol:

Has said crow been kind enough to bring it back for 2016 then?

Also, didn't Axl himself flatline and get brought back? That's what Coma is about isn't it? Or did he just sit there at the crossroads waiting for Slash's soul, but the idiots brought him back without it :P

22 hours ago, Andy14 said:

I also want to discuss lyrics with you :cry: but real life and work won't let me :max::max::max:

Výsledek obrázku pro computer guy angry

you're so cute :hug:

1 hour ago, Padme said:

It was so long ago, so much water under the bridge, so many things that happened and didn't happen over the years. Now things are back to normal with the reunion.  I don't think it would make sense. All I'm going to say is that Axl was great asnwering questions. He knew what fans wanted to talk about. So he brought explanations (his side of things) without the need to be asked. Among them that Slash issue with the OD. It was like one word brought another kinda chat. The chat lasted for about 2 hours. He signed autographs to everyone. Pictures were not allowed. One guy tried and Axl bodyguard at the time said no. But a few pictures surfaced anyway. I guess some people from the media. One of the pics from that day it was Axl ready to eat a big burger and fries. I think that pic can still be found around the internet. He was wearing shades but no hat. I'm glad I met him when he was still sexy :lol:

After that he went to Argentina and he gave an interview with a local FM radio there. I think that interview can still be found in youtube or somewhere around the internet. But also so many things changed since those days. Everything about those days I think are irrelevant now.

Yeah. That's also the years when Axl was "weird", very frustrated and defeated, like a beaten dog.

Here's the interview you refer to.... People noticed how he sounds slow or out of breath. It's strange...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Padme said:

It was so long ago, so much water under the bridge, so many things that happened and didn't happen over the years. Now things are back to normal with the reunion.  I don't think it would make sense. All I'm going to say is that Axl was great asnwering questions. He knew what fans wanted to talk about. So he brought explanations (his side of things) without the need to be asked. Among them that Slash issue with the OD. It was like one word brought another kinda chat. The chat lasted for about 2 hours. He signed autographs to everyone. Pictures were not allowed. One guy tried and Axl bodyguard at the time said no. But a few pictures surfaced anyway. I guess some people from the media. One of the pics from that day it was Axl ready to eat a big burger and fries. I think that pic can still be found around the internet. He was wearing shades but no hat. I'm glad I met him when he was still sexy :lol:

After that he went to Argentina and he gave an interview with a local FM radio there. I think that interview can still be found in youtube or somewhere around the internet. But also so many things changed since those days. Everything about those days I think are irrelevant now.

Oh my God! I can't remember this chat...you're so lucky you were there! 

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Axl can't really believe a crow took slashs soul :lol:

Has said crow been kind enough to bring it back for 2016 then?

Also, didn't Axl himself flatline and get brought back? That's what Coma is about isn't it? Or did he just sit there at the crossroads waiting for Slash's soul, but the idiots brought him back without it :P

This is all getting very supernatural :lol:

But I can't really believe that he believes that either lol. Maybe he was speaking in a really flowery or metaphorical kind of way, something like "I felt like something died in Slash that day. The drugs were more important to him than the band, he wasn't who he used to be anymore..."

And then it got twisted around into some crazy story by Zutaut and others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

you're so cute :hug:

Yeah. That's also the years when Axl was "weird", very frustrated and defeated, like a beaten dog.

Here's the interview you refer to.... People noticed how he sounds slow or out of breath. It's strange...

I've never heard this before. Wow, he really does sound very strange. I was just reading in the 2002 archives an interview Metal Sludge did with Earl, the bodyguard dude. Not seen that before either, loads of interesting things in it, most notably, he answers nearly all questions apart from one , asking if Axl had to go to a psychiatrice hospital. Looks like that probably did happen, reading that interview. 

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I've never heard this before. Wow, he really does sound very strange. I was just reading in the 2002 archives an interview Metal Sludge did with Earl, the bodyguard dude. Not seen that before either, loads of interesting things in it, most notably, he answers nearly all questions apart from one , asking if Axl had to go to a psychiatrice hospital. Looks like that probably did happen, reading that interview. 

For some reason I thought the body guard interview turned out to be fake.

7 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

For some reason I thought the body guard interview turned out to be fake.

It probably was, I didn't really follow much in 02, I was mad Axl cancelled the show I was going to and decided to get into other bands at that time. 

My phone finally loaded the rest of it and it was fake lol. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

13 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I read that interview too but I didnt think it was fake... now I'm like "you don't know who the hell to or not to believe" :lol:

We should start a topic based on "Axl's lost years", especifically from 1998 to 2002, because those years are very confusing, there's not a lot of info around but the few pieces we have, put together, could throw some light about that time.

Funny how lot of fans jumped off the ship in those years. I didn't quit but I was disappointed too and looked at everything with a grain of salt. Not attracted to Axl, nor his music or his new weird replacements of the old band members :max:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Frey said:

This is all getting very supernatural :lol:

But I can't really believe that he believes that either lol. Maybe he was speaking in a really flowery or metaphorical kind of way, something like "I felt like something died in Slash that day. The drugs were more important to him than the band, he wasn't who he used to be anymore..."

And then it got twisted around into some crazy story by Zutaut and others.

They say the story like Axl was there though and he saw the crow take his soul. Well, laughing aside, seeing someone die unexpectedly is a pretty traumatic thing. 

I will never forget when I started working in care, we were keeping a close eye on a guy who had been complaining of headaches. Well, I went down to his room to do obs and whilst I was there he had a brain aneurysm and basically just died within a few minutes. It was awful and his face haunted me for a long time afterwards. 

So, if Axl saw Slash blue and dead. It's not nice and does mess with you a bit.

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I read that interview too but I didnt think it was fake... now I'm like "you don't know who the hell to or not to believe" :lol:

We should start a topic based on "Axl's lost years", especifically from 1998 to 2002, because those years are very confusing, there's not a lot of info around but the few pieces we have, put together, could throw some light about that time.

Funny how lot of fans jumped off the ship in those years. I didn't quit but I was disappointed too and looked at everything with a grain of salt. Not attracted to Axl, nor his music or his new weird replacements of the old band members :max:

That is a fantastic idea! I would find that really interesting, seeing as I did kind of ignore gnr in that era, although I always did still really wish for Axl to pull himself together and be happy. I still thought of him as my fave singer, those were just bleak times. :) 

1 hour ago, killuridols said:
1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Thanks for posting that interview, @killuridols, I've never heard this before either. But I agree, he doesn't sound normal at all here. He talks very slowly at times, needs a lot of time to collect his thoughts and sighs a lot. He sounds tired and exhausted, and like giving that interview is taking a lot of effort for him. Basically he sounds depressed and burned out.

Earl interview: I remember reading that it was fake as well.

Lost years thread: Good idea! The mystery years fascinate me as well. Where should that topic be started though? Here in the Jungle Section? D&N?

Here's a pic from these years that I don't see posted often. Axl looks pretty chunky and lumberjack like here :P:wub:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/MysteryYears/4649134311623722128_n.jpg~original

On 6.10.2016 at 6:54 PM, Frey said:
On 6.10.2016 at 2:16 PM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Frey Yes, I think that subtle little noodle in CTD would've definitely let Axl know that he didn't appreciate Sorry :lol: That, and the "Slash is a cancer best removed and avoided" thing, right when his mum died of cancer, well he probably thought Axl deserved another verbal kicking.

That damn Boston song is pure evil, once it gets in your head, sorry :lol: 

Yeah lol.

I was forced to hear "Nothing Compares To You" (the Sinead O'Connor song) three times today.

I'm thinking that would be a perfect song for them as well, what with Axl being completely unable to ever find anyone like Slash and all that. :lol:

Q: "What keeps you from making a new record?" 

Axl: "Slash."

LOL "More than a feeling" and "Nothing compares to you", A+ suggestions :P

To go with that, I also heard another song on the radio today that made me think of this discussion:

"Hard to say I'm sorry" by Chicago :P Very fitting for these two idiots.

Btw, here's an actual song that Slash said always makes him think of Axl:

Axl never mentioned any song that makes him think of Slash, but he supposedly likes "By the sword" and also Hoobastank for some reason, as @killuridols pointed out.

So I'm gonna go with this for Axl's song lol:

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 2