GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

21 hours ago, beautifulanddamned said:

Ha! I have that book- it's actually a very good book on the era. It also talks about the Patience video and how Izzy was so messed up on coke that it was dripping out of his nose but he couldn't feel it because his face was numb. And the dog was the director's dog- Angela was there. 

that book sounds interesting, what is it called?

9 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

We wonder why he stays at inaccessible hotels. Don't get me wrong, it cool to see Axl up and about and being normal in a normal environment. I just think people sneakily taking pictures of him and asking for autographs when he's at breakfast is too much of an invasion of privacy for me. 

I know for a fact I wouldn't do that, even if it was Axl. Just seeing him with my own eyes would be enough. I  wouldn't sneak pictures and then put them on the internet. That's life I guess though. 

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that picture. Poor guy, can't even have breakfast without being pestered. I know that's the celebrity culture we live in. I too like to think I'd have the self-restraint not to approach him if I saw him at breakfast :blink:

6 hours ago, Lumikki said:

This. Axl looks perfectly alright for his age at the moment. I'd say pretty damn good even compared to 99% of other men his age. They all do. Aging is just a fact of life and they're not gonna escape it either.

And Axl's not fat at all. He's absolutely tiny when you stand next to him, both height-wise and also body mass wise. Certainly seemed tiny to me. That was in May. And since then he's lost quite a bit of weight, so I figure he's even tinier now.

Right now, Axl looks the best he's looked since 2006. In good shape, no ugly moustache, better clothes (for the most part...), etc. I can't complain too much.

I will add

"Beta apparently writes emails with titles like "how to trick Axl" according to the leaked mails (which the Pitman debacle seems to indicate were true)."

and

"Beta and TB side and conspire with people like Doug Goldstein behind Axl's back."

to the great big list of shit TB have done <_<

Is that true about the e mails? This is the first I am hearing about that, but of course I'm a newbie here. I would like to think this isn't going on in his life.

RE: Doug Goldstein's letter. It's so disturbing and embarrassing for himself (which I couldn't care less for - and in the interview he did last year the man didn't seem to be even a little embarrassed that the letter became public) as well as for Axl to have been surrounded by this kind of leeches, creeps and manipulative people. It's so sad.

10 hours ago, Frey said:
12 hours ago, Asia said:

Fuck, it's ubelievable what a dick this man is, it's unbelieveable that a person this idiot Axl considers his "mommy" was siding with him, even behind Axl's back, the whole Sharon and Elliot duet, it's all so fucked up, I'm lost for words. I can't believe Axl let people like this talk him into actually fucking Slash over, and Duff as well, into depriving them of any say in the band that they created and actually pushing them away... He let scums like that convince him that it is ok to cheat on people like Duff and Slash who have been his friends for years and loved him in times when all those pieces of garbage wouldn't consider Axl woth spitting on. I'm not surprised Slash ran away, from a company like this that Axl is siding with against him. Well, I would do the same, not much choice given... I'm not surprised Slash considered killing himself after that, having Axl fuck him over big time with people like that after all those years he trusted him, loved him and all, fuck...  It's all mindblowing. It also really opnes your eyes about the split and who's responsible for it - those pieces of shit who have manipulated Axl, feeding on his insecurities, paranojas and obsessions to the point when he lost all contact with reality. Makes you wonder how many of those horrible things Slash supposedly did or said ever happened and how many were just fabricated by those who wanted full control over Axl.

They ruined the band, they destroyed him and he's still sorrounded with these people, jeez...

This is why I can't understand people who like/trust TB. Beta and family side with (and conspire behind Axl's back with) the people who literally broke up the fucking band, manipulated Axl and isolated him from his actual friends: Doug Goldstein, Sharon and Elliot Maynard and god knows who else.

I feel if Slash and Duff had had been a little less fucked up themselves, they could've protected Axl from these people. But as it was, they were too busy dealing with their own struggles and let the whole situation slip out of their hands until it was too late. I think Duff said something like that in his book too.

Perfect situation for the vultures then: Easy to prey on the weakest link and no one around to stop them; friends too fucked up or exhausted to care and no family either.

This. Regarding the breakup, although Axl has said that him taking the name was a decision he made all by himself, I believe that Goldstein (probably along with the Yoda gang) had a lot to do with it. "Dougie" had personal interest and thought he would benefit financially from Axl taking control and keeping the name after the split.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1429769/guns-n-roses-management-sues-former-members-slash-duff/

It's no coincidence that Axl's legal move with the name was made a little before Goldstein's contract with the band (which also included solo projects) would expire. And in that interview from last year Dougie shamelessly said he had "no recollection" of suing Slash and Duff.

13 hours ago, giuls said:

As an aside about coolness, i was always curious about Keith Richards consoling Slash about the break-up, i wouldn't call them friends and doesn't seem like Slash's MO, i was confused about it but now my working hypothesis is that they met each other again throu Ronnie and Slash unloaded because he couldn’t shut up anymore.

According former member of the GnR management team and then Slash's manager Tom Maher, Slash's meeting with Keith Richards was arranged by him and Keith was on a "mission" there to keep the band together. I'd posted the quote a while ago:

Tom Maher, a manager once connected with the band, told me how he organised for the group to be counselled by their peers: Keith Richards and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler. 'But even that didn't work out.' Maher laughed loudly, remembering the incredulity of having Richards and Tyler take on the guise of peacekeepers. 'I mean, if you're not gonna listen to Keith or Steve, who are you gonna listen to?'

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3423

4 hours ago, nonok said:

Now, I know this is kinda old news since this thread moves too fast for me nowadays, but here's the video where the Slaxl gif from a few pages back originated from:

I actually remembered this moment two days ago and watched the entire gig, funny how I stumbled upon the same thing here.

Yes, I love this show. It's a shame there isn't a good quality video of it.

Another one from the same show:

slashritz91.gif

Slash lol (and Axl looking :lol:)

---

And Happy Birthday @Archtop!

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Crazedlioness said:

...All the shit izzy and him have said about each other was cause hey were always angry or in a fight but you could always tell they didn't mean it with hatred towards each other the way axl and slash have. Izzy also said in one of the interviews during one of the times they were not speaking 'I don't care if he hates me he's still my friend and well always be friends. I don't care what he says" and it wasn't said in a cute way but in 'bitch you're my friend so stfu and get over yourself' kind of a way which I found hilarious. He also waited for axl for four hours trying to convince him to go to the rnrhof but axl didn't show up so izzy didn't go either cause even though he was pissed off he didn't want to go without axl (this is according to Alan niven but I believe him in this case) idk to me it just seems like izzy always has cared about axl even when pissed off with him and axl needs someone who will just be his friend rather than a "bandmate" kind of friend...

I must be in a weird mood but reading this made me tear-up a bit (...and now I sound like a pansy <_<). I wish I had a friendship like that.

Do you mind posting sources for these two instances? Thanks.

I think now more than ever I want izzy to join the reunion. Slash duff Susan and Meehan all seem to have this very tight nit group and they don't seem that open to let people in so in my opinion if izzy joined the tour axl would have a friend he could hang out w

4 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

I must be in a weird mood but reading this made me tear-up a bit (...and now I sound like a pansy <_<). I wish I had a friendship like that.

They're both things I found online a long time ago but i promise to look for the original interviews/sources first thing in the morning tomorrow and post them. Also I'm a huge slaxl shipper as well but their friendship is quite complicated and especially with both having different groups of friends now so I just think izzy might be of help haha 

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

According former member of the GnR management team and then Slash's manager Tom Maher, Slash's meeting with Keith Richards was arranged by him and Keith was on a "mission" there to keep the band together. I'd posted the quote a while ago:

Tom Maher, a manager once connected with the band, told me how he organised for the group to be counselled by their peers: Keith Richards and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler. 'But even that didn't work out.' Maher laughed loudly, remembering the incredulity of having Richards and Tyler take on the guise of peacekeepers. 'I mean, if you're not gonna listen to Keith or Steve, who are you gonna listen to?'

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3423

I wasn't talking about this meeting, i was talking of when they met again after Slash quitted and Keith said "There was nothing you could do".

31 minutes ago, Crazedlioness said:

He also waited for axl for four hours trying to convince him to go to the rnrhof but axl didn't show up so izzy didn't go either cause even though he was pissed off he didn't want to go without axl (this is according to Alan niven but I believe him in this case) idk to me it just seems like izzy always has cared about axl even when pissed off with him and axl needs someone who will just be his friend rather than a "bandmate" kind of friend. 

21 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Regarding the HOF thing, I think it was posted again not so long ago on blabbermouth...or one of those weird rock sites. 

Edit to add link:

http://teamrock.com/feature/2014-06-04/opinion-why-izzy-stradlin-was-the-heart-of-guns-n-roses

Edited by Jane M.
Add link

7 minutes ago, giuls said:

I wasn't talking about this meeting, i was talking of when they met again after Slash quitted and Keith said "There was nothing you could do".

Ah, I didn't remember about the other meeting. But Slash had talked to Keith Richards a lot about the band in the first meeting, so maybe he felt comfortable talking to him.

7 hours ago, Tori72 said:

(I'd bee even more happy if Axl lost some more weight, get lost of all hats and beanies, grows and straightens his hair, never again has a mustache and sings with more of his beautiful baritone. But there you go, he won't listen to me anyway....)

The range and versatility on Axl vocals is what I like the most. I wouldn't like him so much if his voice was only about the "rasp". I wish he used his baritone voice more too - some of the songs would sound better with it than they do now. As for the rest, I agree (although I think he's almost okay now weight-wise and I don't mind some of the hats).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

RE: Doug Goldstein's letter. It's so disturbing and embarrassing for himself (which I couldn't care less for - and in the interview he did last year the man didn't seem to be even a little embarrassed that the letter became public) as well as for Axl to have been surrounded by this kind of leeches, creeps and manipulative people. It's so sad.

This. Regarding the breakup, although Axl has said that him taking the name was a decision he made all by himself, I believe that Goldstein (probably along with the Yoda gang) had a lot to do with it. "Dougie" had personal interest and thought he would benefit financially from Axl taking control and keeping the name after the split.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1429769/guns-n-roses-management-sues-former-members-slash-duff/

It's no coincidence that Axl's legal move with the name was made a little before Goldstein's contract with the band (which also including solo projects) would expire. And in that interview from last year he shamelessly said he had "no recollection" of suing Slash and Duff.

This is what Duff must have meant when he said people around them were playing divide and conquer. I never knew that about the timing of Goldstein's contract. I reckon he had accomplices as I've always felt that the stench of a lawyer hangs over the band. Things always seemed to very quickly devolve into legal action. Like the contract for Steven. Izzy being demoted. The change in band credits. The name being put in the contract. More and more I see that Duff and Slash were lucky to hold on to the partnership.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, money honey said:

that book sounds interesting, what is it called?

I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution 

I really enjoyed it. Lots of gossip on all the bands and musical artists of the era.  There was a chapter on the worst video that ever aired on MTV- Billy Squier's Rock me Tonight that stands out as being sad and hilarious.

And I gotta stick up for the man here- I think Izzy aged the most graciously out of the AFD five. He didn't botox out and he is very thin which has a tendency to make your face look older. Even if he was onstage he wouldn't be attempting to rock a tank top that showed his man boobs or a tshirt with a woman in a trash can. His "prosperous mobster" look from 2012 was a great one- the button down, vest and hat all still called back to his younger stage image, but in an adult way. Honestly I think they all look pretty good, considering. But here's a palate cleanser:

tumblr_n3too3Ajdh1spxjgio1_400.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crazedlioness said:

I think now more than ever I want izzy to join the reunion. Slash duff Susan and Meehan all seem to have this very tight nit group and they don't seem that open to let people in so in my opinion if izzy joined the tour axl would have a friend he could hang out with without feeling uncomfortable or awkward. I think axl and izzy just relate to each other more because they never really lost their friendship as they kept in contact throughout the years and even when they fought they always made up. I do believe they'll make up sooner rather than later and when they do axl will be extra happy. I know his friendship to duff and slash means a lot to him but I think his relationship to with izzy means the most. Axl said izzy is one of the people he cares about most in the world before and I think that's true to this day. All the shit izzy and him have said about each other was cause hey were always angry or in a fight but you could always tell they didn't mean it with hatred towards each other the way axl and slash have. Izzy also said in one of the interviews during one of the times they were not speaking 'I don't care if he hates me he's still my friend and well always be friends. I don't care what he says" and it wasn't said in a cute way but in 'bitch you're my friend so stfu and get over yourself' kind of a way which I found hilarious. He also waited for axl for four hours trying to convince him to go to the rnrhof but axl didn't show up so izzy didn't go either cause even though he was pissed off he didn't want to go without axl (this is according to Alan niven but I believe him in this case) idk to me it just seems like izzy always has cared about axl even when pissed off with him and axl needs someone who will just be his friend rather than a "bandmate" kind of friend. It just feel Iike then axl Will have someone on his side and won't be outnumbered by sluff if you guys know what I'm saying? 

Ps. I know axl duff and slash are all getting along but like idk it's not attack on them or anything 

I like your way of thinking (and welcome, by the way! :)). I'm not sure that I'd agree about Axl loving Izzy more than the other guys, but they do have a special relationship and yes, having Izzy there to hang out with would be great for Axl. They're both single, unattached and free, can spend their time together while Slash and Duff hang out with their ladies.

It would also make me feel better lol. Because then I wouldn't be so worried about Slash and Duff excluding Axl and Axl feeling lonely or something, and I'd also feel better about Axl hanging out with someone who is not part of TB and the rest of the freak show.

@KiraMPD The story about Izzy waiting for Axl was told in a negative context (like everything Niven says about Axl :rolleyes:), but I still thought it was kind of touching that Izzy tried to convince Axl to go, and when that didn't work he decided that he wouldn't go either.

1 hour ago, Jane M. said:

@Crazedlioness Welcome to the jungle. :)

What you said about Axl & Izzy... beware because this place is mostly about Slaxl (Slash & Axl). 

What? :shock: I'd say Izzy/Axl is perfectly fair game. I'm all about the Izzaxl goodness (see my avatar :P). And the Sluff. And the Duff/Axl. And the Slaxl of course. Basically I'm into all of them being nice to each other lol. Unfortunately this rarely happens :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I never wanted to write this here before, cos I think all the Duff fans will get me :P but when I see Duffs face I think it looks, I dunno if this makes sense,  grizzled. Like really haggard.

I love Duff, but I agree, yes. I think the problem with Duff and Izzy actually is how skinny they are. They have no fat on their bodies and also no fat on their faces therefore, which is making them look extra wrinkly. Slash and Axl have a bit more meat on their bones and it has the positive side effect of filling their faces out a bit more.

3 hours ago, Babooshka said:

My theory about Axl looking different is that it's partly down to his eyebrows. We all know the eyebrows can really change how a person looks, and back in the day Axl's were properly shaped, thicker and darker. He also did his lashes and eyes, because like Michael Caine his colouring is really fair. At some point he gave up on all that, and it was around that time he started to look different. Then he started using eyeliner again, but in a really unflattering way. I suspect Erin helped him in those early days, and tbh for that reason alone I think he should consider calling her, because his more recent look tells me the people around him don't know what they're doing.

I think so too. They revelled in the feud and used it to their advantage. It's so sad. I honestly think he'd have been better off without them. Whatever short-term benefits of having them in his life when he was struggling, is not worth the long-term consequences of lost years, co-dependance and control. Look at Amanda Bynes. He'd have been better off getting hospitalised, having a proper treatment plan in place with professionals and then getting on with his life. There's no reason why he couldn't have a family of his own, or reconciled with Slash much sooner.

Yep, eyebrows, lashes, etc can change a lot about how a person looks.

And yes, that's a good way of putting it, the short term benefits of TB really are not worth the long-term consequences.

1 hour ago, Ubukitty said:

Is that true about the e mails? This is the first I am hearing about that, but of course I'm a newbie here. I would like to think this isn't going on in his life.

Depends on how trustworthy you think MSL (a so-called insider, leaker of songs, documents etc) is. But recent developments (Pitman suing Axl for not paying him and talking about finanical issues) seem to indicate that these emails (there were like 100 of them, but only the titles, MSL never leaked the actual contents) were legit indeed, because a lot of them were also about financial stuff and people not getting paid.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

slashritz91.gif

Slash lol (and Axl looking :lol:)---@Archtop!

35 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The range and versatility on Axl vocals is what I like the most. I wouldn't like him so much if his voice was only about the "rasp". I wish he used his baritone voice more too - some of the songs would sound better with it that they do now. As for the rest, I agree (although I think he's almost okay now weight-wise and I don't mind some of the hats).

Ahaha shake that booty, Slash! :lol:

And I'm listening to that Doug Goldstein interview right now. Jesus, he's awful to listen to :facepalm:

And yeah, agreed about his voice. His natural, deeper voice is actually my favorite probably and I wish he'd use it more often.

And Happy Birthday @Archtop!

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

I Want My MTV: The Uncensored And I gotta stick up for the man here- I think Izzy aged the most graciously out of the AFD five. He didn't botox out and he is very thin which has a tendency to make your face look older. Even if he was onstage he wouldn't be attempting to rock a tank top that showed his man boobs or a tshirt with a woman in a trash can. His "prosperous mobster" look from 2012 was a great one- the button down, vest and hat all still called back to his younger stage image, but in an adult way. Honestly I think they all look pretty good, considering. But here's a palate cleanser:

Well said and thank you!

2 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

What? :shock: I'd say Izzy/Axl is perfectly fair game. I'm all about the Izzaxl goodness (see my avatar :P). And the Sluff. And the Duff/Axl. And the Slaxl of course. Basically I'm into all of them being nice to each other lol. Unfortunately this rarely happens :rolleyes:

Really? Slaxl is the king of this thread. :P

4 hours ago, Babooshka said:

There's no reason why he couldn't have a family of his own, or reconciled with Slash much sooner.

... or have a family with Slash. :awesomeface:

(That is seriously how my brain continued that sentence while reading. I'm forever screwed by this thread.)

1 hour ago, Jane M. said:

@Crazedlioness Welcome to the jungle. :)

What you said about Axl & Izzy... beware because this place is mostly about Slaxl (Slash & Axl). 

Were my dramatic tales about these two childhood sweethearts not good enough :max:

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Well said and thank you!

Really? Slaxl is the king of this thread. :P

Well yeah, because these two idiots deliver most of the drama :lol: There's just more Slaxl-related things to talk about than about Sluff for example. Their relationship is nice and stable and cute, but kind of boring therefore :P

And with Axl and Izzy... they're both so private and reclusive, they haven't really given us anything new to work with in years. At least Izzy is changing that a bit now since he got a Twitter account  :awesomeface:

Though I really loved the recent story about Axl and Izzy as kids in school, that was cute.

8 minutes ago, Frey said:
4 hours ago, Babooshka said:

There's no reason why he couldn't have a family of his own, or reconciled with Slash much sooner.

... or have a family with Slash. :awesomeface:

LOL for real :lol:

(Remember when the topic of discussion in this thread was how Axl's and Slash's hypothetical love children would look like? Good times. :P)

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1