GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

2 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I love Axl's birthday thread (and Duff's). But I really will be stuck to my lame "Happy Birthday Axl". :facepalm: Haven't written anything yet.

Still trying to decide on mine for Axl. Every time I think I know what I want to say, I decide it sounds stupid.... going to send link to Duff and Susan tomorrow morning, and to Axl and Del on Monday morning, so you still have time. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Only problem with that is that Duff would have to wade through the kitty cats to get to his....:P:P

I agree, we should have a separate thread for Duffs b-day, unless there is a way to separate the b-day wishes, like a stopping point after Axls and then start Duffs separately or just a different one for Duff would probably be easier.

3 minutes ago, Ubukitty said:

I agree, we should have a separate thread for Duffs b-day, unless there is a way to separate the b-day wishes, like a stopping point after Axls and then start Duffs separately or just a different one for Duff would probably be easier.

It's set up, Duff has hos own thread.;)

25 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Still trying to decide on mine for Axl. Every time I think I know what I want to say, I decide it sounds stupid.... going to send link to Duff and Susan tomorrow morning, and to Axl and Del on Monday morning, so you still have time. ;)

You might think of writing some of Axls favorite quotes from some of his favorite writers and include it after his birthday wishes.:shrugs:

Just now, BlueJean Baby said:

It's set up, Duff has hos own thread.;)

Awesome, thank you @BlueJean Baby.

Happy Birthday Duff,

I have been a fan for over25 years and will continue to be for as long as time allows. You seem like such an amazing man, husband, father, and are so good to your fans. I can only hope to meet you someday. I look forward to your show at the Gorge later this year. Being able to see the gunners back together again has done so much for the fans.  I hope your birthday is filled with love, happiness, and whatever your heart desires. Enjoy.

love always,

Ubukitty

Just now, Ubukitty said:

I just saw that, damn, what do we do now. No new thread for him. Just wish personal b-days to his twitter? I feel bad now.

That's what I did. ;)

I doubt the forum would allow a Del thread, they have been trying to get them to remove him from the twitter feed due to political posts...

• Like 1

So Slash just congratulated Duff (or rather FFUD lol) on Instagram. Even posted a cool pic of Duff.

Curious to see what he's going to do for Axl's birthday now. I'm sure all my Slaxl girls are waiting with baited breath  :awesomeface:

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Oh yes please, Duffy needs his own thread! Remember the tshirt he wore at UYI Tour "No, I also don't know where Axl is". Duffy needs more attention for himself :P

Yeah I remember when we talked about that story here. I don't know if Duff ever actually wore that shirt, but his wife got him one because Duff was upset about people only asking him where Axl was, but not giving a fuck about him.

Which made me feel kinda bad for him and people making an extra effort to do something nice for Axl while ignoring Duff again sort of reminded me of that. Especially considering how much we've got to thank him for.

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Never heard of that "Yoko" nor the VR myspace texts. I found this one pretty funny und go along thinking it was Duff how wrote that. Do you have more of those texts? Or a link or something?

I don't have any of these. @Kris_1989 posted this one in the Izzy thread and she took it from HTGTH and doesn't have any others either.

She also just posted this:

3 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

I know somebody (steven, possibly?) said in an interview a long time ago that Izzy refuses to take medicine even when he's sick because he's so adamant about not taking any drugs. So I could see him being into essential oils nowadays. :shrugs:VR had quite a few short little blogs in 2002/2003, before Myspace ditched the whole blog side of the site. The majority were posted by "Yoko" and then Scott, Matt and Duff would also post every once in awhile. They mention Yoko in this interview at 3:57 

It could've been Perla. I could easily see her making fun of the guys like that. Plus, the guys calling her 'Yoko' isn't too much of a stretch. :lol: If I find any of the other blogs I'll post them in the Women's thread for you guys. :)

In the video above, Duff and Slash both deny being "Yoko", after the interview guy also suspects that Duff is Yoko.

They also discuss wanking on the bus lol.

Slash and Duff both claim that they don't wank on the bus :lol:

Do what you want with that knowledge :rofl-lol:

• Like 4

Here's to the former king of beers! Here's to the man who loves his family and friends with all his heart and soul. A man who once described the woman he loves as having the strength of 10 warriors...who's funk and punk influenced style is beyond compare.

Happy birthday Duff...and I wish you many more to come.

• Like 1

Happy birthday to Duff from the admins of the fan page thegunsonline!!

plus I wanna wish you a big happy birthday ???❤️hope you will spend this day with your family and friends and I wish you all the best for your life and a lot of fortune, hope, health and happiness for you and your family!! Kisses???

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Thanks for making a thread for Duff too, I felt kind of bad for him as well.

Just came across this on Tumblr and had to share because new picture.

They all look pretty cool, but  Axl in this picture is just :wub::wub::wub:

He looks so young there, such a baby still and his hair! Like a fluffy ginger kitten. I could just eat him up there because he's adorable.

tumblr_okv3azKVQ11vkt6tqo1_1280.jpg

Must have been taken the same night as another favorite picture of mine:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/coups/Clothes%20Sharing/Ua2UPwpNZ3g_1.jpg~original

This one's also from the same shoot:

tumblr_okjl35Q4CS1vypjyio1_1280.png

Apart from all of them being cuties, there's also some Slaxl and Daxl going on in these lol.

Bonus random other new pic I also came across because I love girly, glammy Axl:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/8e9e286fac41ca1d15216b9d3c249213/tumblr_okv32aZeZe1vkt6tqo1_500.jpg

Thos pics are so ????????? Especialy the first one

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lumikki said:

They all look pretty cool, but  Axl in this picture is just :wub::wub::wub:

He looks so young there, such a baby still and his hair! Like a fluffy ginger kitten. I could just eat him up there because he's adorable.

tumblr_okv3azKVQ11vkt6tqo1_1280.jpg

Wow, what a nice picture never saw that before! Axl is so super cute here, love his red hair... and Izzy looks so innocent and sweet! Love that pic, thank you for posting!

The second pic is one of my favourite too!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hair of the dog said:

Wow, what a nice picture never saw that before! Axl is so super cute here, love his red hair... and Izzy looks so innocent and sweet! Love that pic, thank you for posting!

The second pic is one of my favourite too!

So....are my eyes deceiving me or is Axl rockin those beloved snakeskin boots in that pic?

• Like 1

Well, I couldn't find any of the other VR blogs. Sorry, guys. :( But I did find this story from a photographer that worked with the band in '88. Not sure if it's been posted here or not yet.

http://www.modernrocksgallery.com/guns-n-roses-story/

Spoiler

The commission in July 1988 was a front cover and inside feature for the British music tabloid magazine 'SOUNDS'. Sounds had a reputation for writing about great rock and metal bands. The other two British music papers (Melody Maker and the NME) weren’t interested in rock/metal music, but I loved those having been brought up on AC/DC, Queen, Deep, Purple, Status Quo, Black Sabbath before getting into UK and American Punk in the seventies.

Appetite For Destruction had been released and had quickly sold close to one million copies and Guns N Roses were about to play Donnington Monsters of Rock Festival in the UK in a few weeks time so it was perfect timing to do a major feature with the band. So SOUNDS journalist Paul Elliott and myself flew over to Dallas for three days to meet up with Guns N’ Roses who were on a big US tour supporting Aerosmith.

The band were very close with each other and hung out together except Axl who hung out with his girlfriend, not with the band and the two of them were so enamored with each other, (according to the band and their manager Doug Goldstein) they just wanted to be together. Axl turned up for the soundcheck and the gig on the second night we were there - I hadn’t seen him for the first day at all.

That first day hanging out with the rest of the band and Doug was great because they were, after all, the 'most rock n roll band in the world'. Aerosmith looked on and must have seen the obvious comparison, except Aerosmith were now survivors of all that excess sex, drugs and rock n roll and Guns were now doing what Aerosmith have done for years previously. Duff told me he was amazed that Aerosmith were still alive to do this tour. The fans and the press loved the excitement of a genuinely chaotic band and it was obvious that Guns N’ Roses were hell bent on creating great music, world fame and drinking themselves into oblivion every day. A bottle of Jack Daniels was always with Slash - he had at least one a day plus drinks on the rider, or at the bars we went to. I didn’t count but I was impressed and pretty shocked with his capacity for booze. Duff too, whose favorite at the time was vodka cocktails made to his own recipe which Paul, Duff and myself drank plenty of one night in Duff's hotel room - Ingredients:  3 part Smirnoff, one part orange juice. If there were any drugs then the band were discreet. Everyone enjoyed their chemical of choice. Slash his neat JD; Duff his Vodka cocktail: Steve Adler his spliffs - which the following morning he forgot to collect from under his pillow in the hotel room. This caused a big argument on the tour bus with manager Doug, who made Steve go back to the room pronto before room service changed the bed linen "Aww you do it, Doug! You're the tour manager. It's your job!" Steve was literally whining to Doug. Doug was having none of it and like an angry father told him to do it himself and the longer he procrastinated, the more chance that room service would find it and get everyone in big trouble, and may that be a lesson to him !    

Anyway back to our cocktail party, we then proceeded, giggling and merry to Slash's room on the floor downstairs. "Just go in, don't knock, Ian" said Duff "Slash called me earlier and said he'll leave the door open". So we walk in and Slash is there in bed with a groupie. "Hi come in" he says "its ok" and I'm feeling relieved, in my English reserved way that we hadn’t just stumbled in there in a few minutes earlier. Slash's new friend seemed very pleased I was there with a camera, sits up in bed next to Slash and gives me a big smile. I thought she might hide under the blanket when Slash introduced me to her saying "This is Ian, he's doing a documentary on us for the British Music press". "Hi, is it ok to take a photo?" says I. Just then the room phone rings and Slash says "go ahead". I'm so drunk I take a shot on my Pentax that is out of focus and I feel a little embarrassed but I'm also thinking "This will make a great photo for the feature"

Soon we are all off to a club in Dallas (without Axl of course) where Slash knows some guys in a band that are doing a small gig that night. The band are getting lots of looks of recognition from girls in the club and security usher us to the VIP area. Duff says I should rest my camera and just enjoy myself for a while - his tactful way of saying 'no photos just now'. He tells me he is very loyal to his missus and there are loads of girls coming over to say 'hello' to them. Slash is invited onstage with the band and he's so full of JD he amazes Paul and myself by playing a faultless (almost) guitar solo but its cut short when his left foot misses the 18" high stage and he falls off mid solo to great laughter and applause.

Outside our tour bus has pulled up and our 'gang' get on board. There are loads of gorgeous girls queuing outside to get on our tour bus too, but security wont let them. The bus windows are one-way blackened - the band can see what's going on outside but nobody can see the band inside. "Gee she's cute" says Slash looking through the one way glass. "You know, Ian- American girls would love to go with you because you're English. The attitude to sex is different over here. If you want just point out a girl and tell the security guy or Doug, there's beds on the tour bus you know"

I'm feeling awkward and struggling for words at this point because, for me its a no brainer as I have a beautiful woman I’m engaged and I'm missing her back in Manchester UK, but I want to be seen as being one of the 'gang' and I have this issue of being a 'people pleaser'  so I mumbled something like "no thank you very much, very kind of you, but erm..  no thank you". People pleasing wasn’t part of Slash's personality as he didn’t give a shit If I did or I didn't. His 'cute' girl is already on the bus and they are hand in hand making their way to the back of the bus together. Duff tells me he's not going to go there either; he's staying loyal to his missus.

Next day we are backstage at the Dallas Starplex Arena. Its a brand new venue and ours is only the second event to be hosted there (Rod Stewart had christened the Starplex earlier that week). Axl turns up (without his girlfriend) for our scheduled group photoshoot backstage that afternoon. He's wearing this cool black leather jacket with fantastic customized Guns N Roses embroidered badges all over it. He takes it off because it is so hot in Dallas that day, around 40 degrees C and thank God for the air conditioning. Underneath the jacket his tattoos look amazing too - a rose, a girls face with dark hair, Guns N’ Roses logo with skulls of each band member. Perfect photo ammuntion for a great front cover. SOUNDS covers at that time were nearly all black and white so I only took black & white film. A week later when my editor Tony Stewart had got all my prints I got a call from him. They now wanted a color cover. Tony knew I was expert at hand coloring black and white prints and thought Axl's tattoos and leather jacket would make a fine color cover so I set to work printing a perfect 20x16" print and using my dyes and paint brushes, which took me about 2 days.

We were in the green room backstage at the Starplex Arena. My set up wasjust one light and Axl was so easy to photograph, he knew how to look good, how to pose and vary the poses; where to place his customized jacket on the arm of the sofa. He posed, I took a shot. He changed the pose, I took another shot. All this while the band members and crew looked on, and Axl loved having an audience and loved making everyone laugh by goofing and pulling a few faces. I didn't need much time or many shots - I knew we had great cover shots almost straight away And the whole of that session took about an hour to photograph everyone individually and do posed group photos too.

After that we all went onstage to soundcheck but Axl didn’t show for it. I never asked why and the band weren't fazed by his absence, but I thought it odd that he wasn’t there. I later learned he was notorious for skipping sound checks.

Slash and Duff were so hot they just wore shorts and Duff wanted my white Stetson hat I'd bought at a cowboy shop earlier in the day. I let him borrow it and he looked funny in just shorts, cowboy boots and my hat. Well he wouldn’t give me that hat back he liked it so much. "Iaaaan! I love your hat so much will you give it to me?" Well I loved that hat too and had walked a mile in the Texan heat earlier that day, before everyone was awake and out of bed in order to buy it and I didn’t want to give him my precious Stetson. "Iaaaaan! You would be doing great things for Anglo-American relations if you give me this great hat". Hmmm.. my answer was still no and I told him I'd want another one to take home with me if I gave him mine. I hoped he would say he'd ask one of the crew to drive out and buy another similar hat. But we both knew there wasnt time to do that.

An hour or two later, and its just before the band go onstage for the gig itself. Duff, Izzy, Slash and journalist Paul come over to me. Me in my precious white hat. Duff says, while the others sidle close to put the pressure on me and everyone is smiling deviously and in cahoots together "Iaaaan ! We all think I should have your hat and you should swap for this one. Its a really great looking Jack Daniels baseball hat and its really rare and you will be doing a really good thing". The combination of his charm and peer pressure made me do the "really good thing". Elated he swaps my hat for his and they run onstage. It made for some great photographs during their set, when Axl and Duff swap hats. "That's my hat" I say to Paul Elliott "Not anymore it's not" says Paul. 

Next morning I got up early before everyone was out of bed. I walked that hot mile to the cowboy shop and picked myself an identical white Stetson. I really loved that hat. It got accidentally squashed a week later by a British soldier when I was in Morocco photographing the Army on maneuvers in the Sahara. We were crammed into the back of a Land Rover and the squaddie rolled over in his sleep, flattening my eccentric hat.

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 4