Question for AXL/DC lovers... Besides ROB, BIB, TS and FTATR... is there any other song that Axl is "singing-till-it-cracks"?

ludurigan

I am really enjoying AXL/DC and I am enjoying specially ROCK OR BUST, BACK IN BLACK, THUNDERSTRUCK and FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK.

In these songs, Axl really seems to sing like he used to do in, say, 1993 (using his or "rasp voice" or "singing until it cracks" or whatever you wanna call it)

Its really FUN to listen to those songs! 

:headbang:

So far, i have watched a lot of AXL/DC videos and, to the best of my knowledge, these 4 songs are the only ones where Axl goes "all-crazy-I-m-singing-till-it-cracks" and does NOT use his clean voice (or falsetto voice or controlled voice or mickey voice or bee-gees voice or weak voice or whatever you wanna call it)

My question, specially for those of you AXL/DC lovers that have been following every show, is this...

Is there any other songs that Axl sings like he does on these four songs?

Thanks!

:headbang:

Edited by ludurigan

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

There's a whole bunch of songs that Axl sings with a raspy screaming voice. Shoot To Thrill and Hell's Bells are the first that pop to my head.

Thanks!

Just checked Shoot to Thrill and Hells Bells from Prague and they ROCK, or should I say they CRACK!

01. Rock or Bust - CRACKS!
02. Shoot to Thrill - CRACKS!
03. Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be
04. Back in Black - CRACKS!
05. Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder
06. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
07. Rock 'n' Roll Damnation
08. Thunderstruck - CRACKS!
09. High Voltage
10. Rock 'n' Roll Train
11. Hells Bells - CRACKS!
12. Given the Dog a Bone
13. Dog Eat Dog
14. If You Want Blood (You've Got It)
15. Sin City
16. You Shook Me All Night Long
17. Shot Down in Flames
18. Have a Drink on Me
19. T.N.T. - CLEAN
20. Whole Lotta Rosie
21. Let There Be Rock
22. Highway to Hell
23. Touch Too Much - CLEAN

24. - Riff raff - CLEAN
25. For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) - CRACKS!

Yeah you gotta remember Bon sang a lot different than Brian hence the different approaches. Bon wasn't always full out screaming like Johnson, that's why the" singing til it cracks" as you put it only happens on songs that are Brian AC/DC. Its not that Axl can't do that if he wanted to, he's just trying to respect and do justice to both singers on their songs.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

On the first two-three shows he rasped his way throughout except on two songs, TNT and Dirty Deeds, upon which he went cleanish in imitation of Bon.

This.

I'd recommend the Marseilles show - easily the highlight of the tour so far.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

On the first two-three shows he rasped his way throughout except on two songs, TNT and Dirty Deeds, upon which he went cleanish in imitation of Bon.

4 minutes ago, James Bond said:

This.

+1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

This.

I'd say Belgium was the best so far, with Marseille as a close second. 

For the record, as others have said, I don't see a problem with Axl using less rasp on the Bon songs. Bon didn't have a raspy voice at all, so the clean vocals fit. At least with the exception of Prague, the clean vocals have still been powerful. And as much as I (And I assume everyone else) would love to see Touch Too Much again, I think it's by far the song least suited for Axl's voice that they've done so far.

• Like 2

I dont recall exactly but he uses rasp in some verses of some songs too. I guess they would be HELL AIN'T A BAD PLACE TO BE, ROCK N' ROLL THUNDER, ROCK N' ROLL DAMNATION and others.

Particularly, I don't like when he uses too much rasp. I don't like how he sings BACK IN BLACK because it is so much rasp that I can barely understand the words. Same goes for HELL'S BELLS. I hate that song or how he sings it, it really feels sometimes like his throat is gonna bleed from so much rasp.

I love how he sings THUNDERSTRUCK, lots of rasp too but more controlled. It's like Axl has SO MUCH VOICE that he doesn't know what to do with it. Hah, give it to me, I wish I had a quarter of it! :P

God, listened to a lot of clips from Bern, it's extremely worrying how much his voice is cracking in comparison to the first few shows. He is pushing way beyond what's helathy, and his voice is getting weaker and weaker on each leg.

14 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

For the record, as others have said, I don't see a problem with Axl using less rasp on the Bon songs. Bon didn't have a raspy voice at all, so the clean vocals fit. At least with the exception of Prague, the clean vocals have still been powerful. And as much as I (And I assume everyone else) would love to see Touch Too Much again, I think it's by far the song least suited for Axl's voice that they've done so far.

You're right that Bon didn't have rasp, but he was a proficient screamer. As you've pointed out, Axl's clean voice just doesn't work on some of the Bon songs such as Touch Too Much. DDDC is another - it would sound much better if he sang it the way Brian did at his peak, with rasp and power. Something that gives me hope though is watching Axl sing 'If you want Blood You got it' in Bern - he sang portions of it with a low growl, which came off much better than the first time he sang it. It wasn't Bon, but it was definitely good and I think it could work for TTM. IMO, Axl should sing the songs that he's not doing particularly well, in his own style - rasp when needed, clean if it suits the song, growls if that works best, instead of trying to just outdo Bon and Brian on each of their songs.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sosso said:

I'm not a expert in terms of singing so can anyone explain me what a "cracking voice" is?

The OP just meant Axl's "rasp" voice. Initially I thought this was going to be a thread to post the songs where Axl's voice has been cracking.

4 minutes ago, nelsontod said:

wait...what?

Axl had a couple rougher shows with AC/DC while he had what seemed to be a cold (last two shows have been fine), and on all the high notes in songs like Hells Bells he was cracking big time.

When I entered this thread the first I thought it was going to be about those voice cracks. Then I realized the OP meant the rasp and referred to it as "the cracking voice" or whatever.