New Rolling Stone NWA article. Guns N Roses mention

vloors

Full article http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/n-w-a-reflect-on-efil4zaggin-1991s-most-dangerous-album-20160529?page=4

Guns N Roses mention

Ren brought the title "Appetite for Destruction" to the group for what would become a funky, syncopated paean to violent chaos. "I came up with that from Guns N' Roses," he says. "We hung out with them one time. They had a show at the Forum in Inglewood, and we went to hang out with them before and after the show. We had heard that Axl was an N.W.A fan."

"I remember having a headache for three days, that music was so loud," Yella says.

"They was real cool," Ren recalls. "I remember talking to Axl backstage in the dressing room and he started rapping. I can't remember how it went, but he busted a rhyme."

"We were supposed to do a couple of shows with them, but our manager got too greedy," Yella says. "They wanted to give us $25,000 for 10 minutes, but our management wanted $50,000 so it didn't work. We might have ended up doing a whole bunch of shows with them." Then-manager Jerry Heller tells Rolling Stone he does not recall a solid offer for Guns N' Roses shows, but that he "probably" would have asked for more than $50,000, as he thought they were worth it.

• Like 1

That would have been amazing back in the day. The most dangerous band in the world and the most dangerous group in the world come together. 

I reckon they should do it for this tour. Whatever is left of NWA and GNR.

Edited by darkknite63

3 hours ago, vloors said:

I find it interesting they could of had NWA as their warm up act. Would of been massive having the worlds most dangerous rock band and worlds most dangerous rap band together for a few shows.

Would not have gone over well. Back in those days, most rock fans hated rap with a passion. Having a rap album in your collection was akin to social death.

17 hours ago, Nintari said:

Would not have gone over well. Back in those days, most rock fans hated rap with a passion. Having a rap album in your collection was akin to social death.

That's an exaggeration. Might have been unacceptable in some circles but this was also the era of rap / rock crossovers. Aerosmith and Run DMC. Anthrax and Public Enemy. Ice T's Bodycount. Axl wore an NWA hat often. He did not die a social death for that.  

4 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

That's an exaggeration. Might have been unacceptable in some circles but this was also the era of rap / rock crossovers. Aerosmith and Run DMC. Anthrax and Public Enemy. Ice T's Bodycount. Axl wore an NWA hat often. He did not die a social death for that.  

It was that was in my Jr. High and High school. This was like 1993-1995 too. You were either listening to 2-pac and dressing like a rapper, our you were wearing GNR, Metallica and Nirvana shirts and growing your hair out. There was no cross over and if you tried, you were an outcast. I was in the rock group and when my friend turned to rap, he was shut out by everyone I knew and had to get new friends. It was akin to treason. 

And think about this, NIN was booed right off the stage when they opened for GNR back in 1991 because they weren't rockers. What the hell do you think would have happened with a bunch of black guys rapping? It wouldn't have worked lol.

Trent Reznor has told Q that supporting Guns'N'Roses were the worst shows Nine Inch Nails ever played.

Speaking in the Q Interview in our brand new issue - Q308 out now - about his life, his soundtrack work on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, his demons and more, Reznor singles out the 1991 shows with Axl Rose and co as a nadir.

"It was only a couple of show and they were some of the worst performances we [Nine Inch Nails] ever had in front of the most hostile, moronic audiences I've ever experienced," he recalled.

"They were there to rock; what they didn't want was some homo-looking dudes playing noisy synths and they made that very clear to us.

"Our first show was in Mannheim, Germay. There were thousands of people standing there going [raises middle finger] and there were bits of sausage on the stage. I've tried to block it out."

Edited by Nintari