09/17/16 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center

Powerage5

4 hours ago, sleeping stone said:

I saw them in Marseille this year and recall thinking approximately same save of course for the Stephanie Seymour and the reunion part. 

Music-wise , energy-wise, I recall watching the ACDC fans and totally adore what they could hear of Axl. (The sound was kind of crappy where I was.)

At the very beginning I recall this moment when the fans first heard him, they stood like only one man standing and it was as if they would say: " holy shit! There's someone singing up there !"  And they went into it till the last note. 

I was watching their reaction, I'm a gunner and not quite what you call a ACDC hardcore diehard fan, and of course I naturally burst out laughing. I mean I had no doubt he 'd nail everything and I was more into watching the ACDC fans reaction.

Then it was my turn to be surprised and amazed with Angus Young. The man takes you along and gives every fan their place in the show. The man got my respect. 

Right on about Angus.  I was floored by him.  I went to see Axl.  I left wanting the two of them to team up.

• Like 2

So I got pretty fucked up last night - more so than I usually do before a gig. We had a Maiden meetup because there were several of the big traveling Maiden fans doing this gig, and one of the girls convinced me to take the metro because parking near the venue is difficult apparently. She convinced me to take the metro, I convinced her to go to Ireland with me in December for Steve Harris' solo band, seems fair :lol: But anyways, I let loose since I didn't have to drive after the gig. Also to sort of drown my sorrows that I wasn't at the second Anthrax club gig in Brooklyn that they announced at the last second, because the Friday night gig was so much fun.

I thought it was a good show - better than MSG, but still not as good as Buffalo. I did have a hard time getting into it since I was so far from the stage, but it was still fun. I had a nice, straight-on view of the stage which was nice because every show so far I've been on the side, to some degree. 

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

So I got pretty fucked up last night - more so than I usually do before a gig. We had a Maiden meetup because there were several of the big traveling Maiden fans doing this gig, and one of the girls convinced me to take the metro because parking near the venue is difficult apparently. She convinced me to take the metro, I convinced her to go to Ireland with me in December for Steve Harris' solo band, seems fair :lol: But anyways, I let loose since I didn't have to drive after the gig. Also to sort of drown my sorrows that I wasn't at the second Anthrax club gig in Brooklyn that they announced at the last second, because the Friday night gig was so much fun.

I thought it was a good show - better than MSG, but still not as good as Buffalo. I did have a hard time getting into it since I was so far from the stage, but it was still fun. I had a nice, straight-on view of the stage which was nice because every show so far I've been on the side, to some degree. 

You have been to a lot of Axl/DC concerts. Whats Axl's strongest and weakest parts? 

7 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

You have been to a lot of Axl/DC concerts. Whats Axl's strongest and weakest parts? 

I mean, every show has some songs that are better or worse on a given night. But generally speaking, I'd say his strongest songs are Shoot To Thrill, Thunderstruck, Given The Dog A Bone, Live Wire, Highway To Hell, and Riff Raff. His weakest is definitely TNT.

41 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I mean, every show has some songs that are better or worse on a given night. But generally speaking, I'd say his strongest songs are Shoot To Thrill, Thunderstruck, Given The Dog A Bone, Live Wire, Highway To Hell, and Riff Raff. His weakest is definitely TNT.

Hells Bells

8 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Is a bit iffy, IMO. When he's strong on it, it's amazing. But it's probably the most difficult song in the set to do the way it was recorded - it's really easy for Axl to miss the mark a bit, especially on the pre-chorus.

That and Thunderstruck were the best ones vocally for me in detroit

• Like 1

Just now, Andy14 said:

It makes me :drool::drool::drool::wub:

I'm not sure it's human. It's like he read the post from people saying his screams were enhanced artificially, and said "ok well here's one for you"

you shouldn't be able to take your voice that high up and sustain it at all...he shouldn't be able to talk after that, it really blew me away. I can't imagine being there. 

@Powerage5 did that scream strike you as being impressive if you remember that moment or was it just another Axl scream? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I'm not sure it's human. It's like he read the post from people saying his screams were enhanced artificially, and said "ok well here's one for you"

you shouldn't be able to take your voice that high up and sustain it at all...he shouldn't be able to talk after that, it really blew me away. I can't imagine being there. 

@Powerage5 did that scream strike you as being impressive if you remember that moment or was it just another Axl scream? 

totally not HUMAN.  Axl has really impressed me this year.  Anxiously waiting for tomorrow night!  Can barely concentrate at work today!!

• Like 1

Hey everyone, I was at the show and had amazing seats! I had watched videos of every show a million times over, and it still did not prepare me AT ALL for how incredible it is live. What Axl is doing vocally for AC/DC is godly. And if we're gonna talk about specific screams, can we please discuss LTBR? Jaw dropping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDkGHksTr-o&t=3m45s

Credit to my cousin Mike for taking this pic (EDIT: Full size for higher resolution)

IMG_4221.jpg

This is now in my Top 3 concerts of all time. I truly believe I witnessed a piece of rock history. 

Edited by Syk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Is a bit iffy, IMO. When he's strong on it, it's amazing. But it's probably the most difficult song in the set to do the way it was recorded - it's really easy for Axl to miss the mark a bit, especially on the pre-chorus.

And to think people say AC/DC is easier to sing than Guns N' Roses!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Yeah, HTH totally blew me away the other night.

14 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

He has a unique tone, and pronounces or annunciates words uniquely. Singing Welcome to the Jungle or Sweet Child just sounds wrong when people cover it.

yes this is so true. i try to listen to covers of people singing GN'R songs and it is just wrong IMO.

Most of Brian Johnson stuff has been difficult for Axl (as he himself has said) because it's different in general from the GnR stuff and in addition he wanted to do it justice by singing it in Brian's style (some of the songs, Hell's Bell's for example, might have been easier for him if he used his baritone voice on parts); and he's done a stellar job. 

If there's going to be an album, though, I hope Angus will write songs that suit Axl's vocal range, style and personality, i.e. more rock 'n' roll and bluesy like the earlier stuff, and not heavy metal-ish like the later and latest stuff.

Edited by Blackstar

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Most of Brian Johnson stuff has been difficult for Axl (as he himself has said) because it's different in general from the GnR stuff and in addition he wanted to do it justice by singing it in Brian's style,  (some of the songs, Hell's Bell's for example, might have been easier for him if he used his baritone voice on parts); and he's done a stellar job. 

If there's going to be an album, though, I hope Angus will write songs that suit Axl's vocal range, style and personality, i.e. more rock 'n' roll and bluesy like the earlier stuff, and not heavy metal-ish like the later and latest stuff.

The only time AC/DC even came close to making a metal album was The Razor's Edge, and really that had more to do with the production and the guitar tones than the songwriting. I will give that in the 80's they lost a lot of their blues roots, though they came back after TRE, particularly on Stiff Upper Lip and Rock Or Bust. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

The only time AC/DC even came close to making a metal album was The Razor's Edge, and really that had more to do with the production and the guitar tones than the songwriting. I will give that in the 80's they lost a lot of their blues roots, though they came back after TRE, particularly on Stiff Upper Lip and Rock Or Bust. 

Yes, Stiff Upper Lip is more rock 'n' roll. I admit I haven't listened to all the albums (for example from Rock Or Bust I know only the two songs that are in the setlist and the title track sounds heavy metal-ish to me), so maybe it's just the impression I've got from some of the popular songs of the later era combined with Brian's "rough" singing style.

Edited by Blackstar