E3 - 2017

downzy

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

That Zelda looks really shitty so far, it looks like a generic wrpg with some added assassin's creed climbing mechanics and a Zelda skin, there's nothing in what I saw so far, including various gameplay footages, that makes me say "oh, yeah, that's Zelda alright". Well, Doom 4 looked really crappy and slow on its first teaser and turned out to be a good. though fogettable, game, so this might end up being good.

I don't know there's something missing in it. I would remove the food/ hunting all along thing and keep the piece of/ heart contaier as the only way to increase your health, firstly because it looks gimmicky, second cuz it just adds unnecessary burocracy to it, no need to slow a Zelda game. The weapon system could go as well, especially the durabillity part, I mean, really? Having to repair your weapon will just make it slow and, again, will add useless burocracy to something that begs to be straightforward. Also, NO companions. Fuck this trend, every game now has to have some dipshit following you around and getting stuck AND killed. Just no. Finally, since it is trying to ripoff skyrim in every aspect, it, so far, seems to rely on elevator music as its soundtrack instead of having memorable tunes like the older games. Nothing goes better with a slow paced game than a soothing naptime song.

lol no. It's exactly the opposite or looks like it so far. Much closer to a true Zelda. It took 30 years, but  I think Aonuma and the team finally understand which elements should be there for a 3d Zelda without losing the sense of wonder the first game had.

The art style is beautiful while the graphics are dated. Nintendo never really released a truly powerful console. I don't really care though.

From each 3d Zelda they've learned something new that made it possible to even attempt something on that scale and they had the time to perfect it. (5 years and still not finished)

Perhaps the NX version will have better textures and resolution. Miamoto was not as hands on as in past Zeldas which probably gave the team more room to explore and my guess is Aonuma is finally not going to fail in delivering an open world 3D Zelda.

Edited by Rovim

11 hours ago, downzy said:

There's a rumour going around that Red Dead Redemption 2 was suppose to close Sony's conference but was nixed at the last minute.  Apparently it had a saloon shoot up scene and it was felt it might not gel with the recent tragic shooting in Orlando.  Understandable, but this was the only game I was looking forward to hearing about :(

That would be a shame if true, the conference was slightly short, but very understandable and the correct decision. Rockstar tend to announce things in their own time and place anyway, so I can't say I was particularly expecting it. We'll see it very soon if true :)

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Hmm... apparently there are no cities in this game, just like Zelda 1.

It was confirmed there are towns/cities, but they didn't reveal anything due to story.

12 hours ago, Rovim said:

lol no. It's exactly the opposite or looks like it so far. Much closer to a true Zelda. It took 30 years, but  I think Aonuma and the team finally understand which elements should be there for a 3d Zelda without losing the sense of wonder the first game had.

The art style is beautiful while the graphics are dated. Nintendo never really released a truly powerful console. I don't really care though.

From each 3d Zelda they've learned something new that made it possible to even attempt something on that scale and they had the time to perfect it. (5 years and still not finished)

Perhaps the NX version will have better textures and resolution. Miamoto was not as hands on as in past Zeldas which probably gave the team more room to explore and my guess is Aonuma is finally not going to fail in delivering an open world 3D Zelda.

Why is it the opposite? the opposite of what? A generic wrpg? A true Zelda has weapon durability? A true Zelda has a field with elevator music instead of an actual song? What elements are these? Having to constantly hunt shit down in order to temporarily buff my health? That's what Zelda is about? Really? They even removed the "cut grass to get hearts and rupes.

The keyword for Zelda was never survival. Sorry, man you're wrong and I'm not saying that's how the game will be, but considering all the footages and trailers I've seen so far it seems that they made some poor choices for this game. I hope I'm wrong as I was with Doom 4 ID didn't help with that first trailer tho.

12 hours ago, Conor said:

That would be a shame if true, the conference was slightly short, but very understandable and the correct decision. Rockstar tend to announce things in their own time and place anyway, so I can't say I was particularly expecting it. We'll see it very soon if true :)

It was confirmed there are towns/cities, but they didn't reveal anything due to story.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-no-towns-or-traditional-partner-character/

I don't really think it would make sense for there to be towns in this setting. Seems like a world in ruin for the most part with just sparse traces of living humans/Hylians/whatever. I just hope there's enough to do in this world. It looks massive so it needs a lot of content to fill it up.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

The 27 min one on kotaku's? Yes, I did. I wasn't really paying attention to the dudes talking. The gameplay was what I came for. Could you please point it on the video? I'm just that lazy...

Funnily enough I don't fancy sifting through all the videos either, there are hours of them. I think there's been some miscommunication down the line, because he explicity says that there are no towns in this demo, not that their are no towns in the game. There's lots of things you can't do in the demo that you'll be able to do in the full game, I don't understand why anyone is having a hard time to believe this. It's genuinely interesting to see how this kind'a shit spreads like wildfire around the backlog of websites though. People are taking that as fact and indicative of the whole game. If I watch the videos again I'll timestamp it for you, I think he's expressing that there are simply no towns in the Plateau area, in which the demo is set, but until then here's a quote from IGN in their interview with Aonuma:

He also wouldn't talk about towns. "I can't share too much about villages because to tell you how the villages work, they're interconnected to the story and overall world."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/14/e3-2016-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-hands-on-preview?page=3?page=3

Now, I'd imagine you're probably right in that there aren't necessarily many towns, because I get the impression this is hugely influenced by the original LoZ. As far the no companion, apparently that was left out as well for story purposes, but that is just two sides debating each other. Based on the demo, it seems the female voice, assumed Zelda, is essentially your companion. I don't really care, if there was a companion everyone would complain about how annoying it was.

Edited by Conor

It's neat that when the original map was "shown" for the new Zelda, people said it bore a striking resemblance to the original Zelda. And here we are, talking about how similar the experience could be. Pretty cool.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I watched more Zelda videos.

I really like the Ghibli vibe, the art direction for Link, the open world, and the focus on exploration.

The combat looks really meh though, the graphics are woof, and a lot of the world seems empty. 

It's nice to see Nintendo making somewhat modern games though. Now Metroid on NX from the ground up. 

Monolith Software is helping with development. They know a lot about RPG's. More modern compared to Nintendo as well and with a lot of talent. Most modern games copied from Nintendo and developed their ideas. In this Zelda there are influences from Skyrim, Dark Souls, Assasin's Creed, and even Shadow Of The Colossus when it comes to gameplay.

The studio Ghibli art style is perfect for Zelda. (Princess Mononoke) The demo doesn't represent the final game. I don't think it's gonna be this empty, the ideal way to judge is when Nintendo shows a town with NPC's. They don't want to repeat the same mistakes like with Twilight Princess. A huge map, but empty.

It's taking the open world approach of Zelda 1 and adding more RPG elements, survival aspects, etc and not losing the sense of freedom in a 3d world like it's been for years now starting with Ocarina Of Time right up to Skyward Sword. They've never managed to create an open world 3D Zelda game and that's the main goal with this upcoming Zelda.

Edited by Rovim

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

The announcement of Trials Of The Blood Dragon was absolutely not a cringe, neither were the South Park creators. No real surprise that the majority of actual cringes came from EA... and that amazing Minecraft moment, "Let's get out of here." Poor lad looked like he was about to shart himself.

14 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Now Metroid on NX from the ground up. 

Most people think that Retro Studios is making a game for NX right now and a lot of people are speculating it'll be another Metroid game. Whatever game they're working on, it's been in development for nearly 3 years at this point, though it probably switched from the Wii U to the NX at some point which may slow down development a little.

Capcom needs to throw the people a bone on how to finish the Resident Evil 7 demo with a "good" ending, there's apparently a way to finish the demo without getting killed but the riddle is too difficult for anyone to solve :P

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

This Zelda needs heart containers so we can ignore the hunting and cooking. I think they wouldn't remove it from the series.

It just wouldn't be Zelda if we couldn't go from 3 to 20 heart containers

Not counting the old handheld games, of course :P

• downzy changed the title to E3 - 2017

Nintendo could help itself tremendously if it reveals a big marquee title like Metroid, Super Smash Brothers, or Donkey Kong.  

Mario is already known and perhaps it will be the big game they're pushing this year. 

Personally, since I plan on getting a Xbox Scorpio when it comes out, I'm very excited to see what Microsoft has in store.  There's a lot of people saying that Microsoft needs to come to the table with top-tier exclusive games.  While I don't disagree, for me personally, I'm most excited about playing third-party games on the fastest, most powerful consul.  The only game I really care about or have any interest in playing is Red Dead Redemption 2.  Crackdown 3 looks impressive from a technical standpoint.

The new Spiderman game looks amazing, but I'm not sure I want to spend $400 just to play one game.  The Uncharted and Last of Us don't do much for me.  Not sure what else Sony has to offer that I might be interested in.  

Since RDR2 going to be delayed until next spring, I'm happy to hold off and see what the three big game producers come up with this year.  

• Like 1

I'm really curious what Nintendo will show since there really aren't a ton of games coming out for Switch that we know about but there are almost definitely a good number of titles we don't know about yet. Mario Odyssey will probably get the most screentime. It's heavily rumored for a November release date. Splatoon 2 releases in July and will likely be shown a good deal. Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and some Mario/Rabbids crossover RPG from Ubisoft are the other titles we know about as of now, which I think are all supposed to release in 2017 (though I fully expect Xenoblade to get pushed back into 2018, but I'd be fine with being wrong on that one).

Some rumored titles from around the time the Switch had its initial reveal trailer back in January that I could still see being revealed here are a Smash Bros 4 Switch version and a Switch version of Pokemon Sun/Moon (was heavily rumored a while back). I reckon either of these could easily fit into 2017 since they'd be ports/remakes of existing games, and either one would be a huge franchise to bring to the Switch early on. If Smash does get a Switch version, that would mean we'd have a Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros title for the Switch all in the first 8 months, which would be pretty crazy.

Retro Studios (makers of the new Donkey Kong Country games and the Metroid Prime titles) has also been working on a game since December 2013 and will almost definitely show up at E3 with their new game. Most people are speculating it'll be a new Metroid Prime game.

Personally I think the title that would perhaps be the biggest success on the Switch that hasn't be revealed yet is a new Animal Crossing game. The series is hugely popular both in the west and in Japan and hasn't seen a new full-titled release since New Leaf back in 2013 for 3DS. I think establishing a game like Animal Crossing early in a console's life cycle is important due to the game being something that is meant to be continually gone back to over long periods of time.

• 2 weeks later...

New Metro game looks impressive.

Finally Cuphead gets a release date!  Hope it's awesome as it looks.

Was never a huge fan of Crackdown but unsure about Crackdown 3.  The idea of blowing up buildings sounds fun, but will wait until reviews and likely wouldn't buy until there's a sale.

Really thought Microsoft was going to release a new Conker's when I saw that red-tailed fox running around on the staged screens.  Not sure why Microsoft/Rare hasn't relaunched this title and/or updated the original.  Perhaps its a licensing issue with Microsoft.

Sea of Thieves looks like it could be fun, but I just don't have much time to dedicate to gaming.  Other than RDR, I just can't get into games that require a ton of time to play.  

Looking forward to Sony's presentation.  I suppose the games expected to be shown include Spiderman, Last of Us 2, Destiny 2, and perhaps a couple of new IPs.

Still need to finish first Beyond Good & Evil, only got halfway through almost 10 years ago.

Anthem is intriguing, certainly looks beautiful but I play Bioware RPGs for single-player experience/stories.

Like the VR stuff, but I can't see myself getting VR until at least the 2nd gen Vive/Rift etc. and a price drop.

Spider-Man looks neat but I need to see more web-swinging to see how it compares to Spider-Man 2.