E3 - 2017

downzy

I thought most of the presentations were weak this year. Ubisoft actually had a rather good one. Microsoft did too from all accounts, but I had to work during it and haven't gone back to see it. I thought Sony was a real letdown and I'm never particularly excited for EA's.

Nintendo's conference way surpassed my expectations after the leaks that it would only be 25 minutes long. I don't mind a shorter presentation when it has a blistering pace like this one had. New mainline Kirby, Metroid, and Pokemon titles all announced for Switch. A Yoshi's Woolly World sequel. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was confirmed for 2017 which I wasn't expecting at all. Was definitely expecting that to get pushed back to 2018. 2018 looks really good for Switch already and it's still 6 months away with potentially those 4 titles in addition to a new mainline Fire Emblem title all releasing in 2018.

12 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Nintendo showed a lot of games which was impressive and should've happened given the slow trickle of WiiU titles.

Seeing as I was underwhelmed by Sony and especially by Microsoft, I'd say they had the best showing.

But they didn't show Retro's new game so... they're double dead to me.

Retro's probably working on Metroid Prime 4, but yeah nothing was shown from it other than it exists. It's probably decently far into development if the game started back in December 2013 like it supposedly did.

2 hours ago, LightningBolt said:

Retro's probably working on Metroid Prime 4, but yeah nothing was shown from it other than it exists. It's probably decently far into development if the game started back in December 2013 like it supposedly did.

I heard during IGN's live coverage that it's not Retro but a new team that will be producing Metroid 4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I think Nintendo had the best presentation.  Each had its strength, but Nintendo wins solely on the basis that the new Mario game looks amazing.

Even though I've owned a PS1 through PS3, many of Sony's staples have never really appealed to me outside of Gran Turismo.  The new Spiderman game looks amazing, but it would have been better had they shown a bit more of the city and how well the web slinging looks and feels outside of a mission.  Days Gone looks interesting, but I can't be the only one who is a little burnt out on zombies.  Really surprised Sony didn't reveal anything on Last of Us 2.  

Microsoft did its job in positioning the new Xbox One X, but the show was a lot of fluff.  I'm sure it sounded like a great idea from a marketing perspective, but spending time revealing an actual car was a waste.  I didn't see much in the Crackdown 3 presentation to win me over.  While they highlighted a lot of games, there wasn't any Spiderman or Mario caliber exclusive that got me excited.  Microsoft needs to offer something other than Halo (which I gave up after Halo 3), Gears of War, and Forza.  

Disappointed but not surprised there was nothing on RDR 2.  Rockstar rarely comes to E3 with such marquee games, but it would have been nice to see a little more on the game I'm definitely getting the day it gets released.  

Far Cry 5 looks amazing and I've never been a huge fan of the series.  I really like the environment and themes Ubisoft is playing with this time around and I'll most likely pick this up assuming the reviews are glowing.  

• Like 2

Yeah I saw that Retro wasn't working on MP4 after the fact. The same producer is on it, though.

Nintendo have had a few 3DS reveals during their Treehouse presentation, which is cool and I like that they went this route instead of showing them at the presentation. Metroid: Samus Returns (remake of Metroid 2) and a Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake. These games with Ultra Sun/Moon are giving the 3DS a pretty nice send-off.

Yeah, that's the thing.  As much as I love a good Mario game, I'm not sure I'll pony up the $400 it currently costs to play one game.  Granted, I really want an Xbox1X for RDR, but I'm sure there will be other games i'll want to play like Far Cry 5 and the eventual next chapter in the GTA series.  Zelda looks great, but I just don't have the time to invest in Zelda.  It's the same reason why I never bother with other series like Skyrim or Fallout.  Last Zelda game I played was Ocarina of Time nearly 20 years ago.  I think I'd be lost at this point trying to play such a game.