Axl vs Brian vs Scott

xBrownstonex

Brian's voice was horrid on the Stiff Upper Lip tour during 2000/2001. When they did the short run of shows in 2003, he sounded better.

This here is one of the charity gigs he did with Cliff in 2007.

60 years old and he's giving his Razor's Edge era self a run for his money. The touring was always hard on Brian's voice no doubt due to the nature of the way he sings, but on one-off performances like this he could always deliver the goods.

I also thought he sounded better during 2015 than he did on most of the Black Ice tour. 2016 was only when it truly went downhill, but that's probably as much to do with his hearing as with his age and voice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Brian was bad ass on Black Ice and Rock or Bust. What a way to go out. Back in Black and Rock Or Bust are the two perfect book ends to any rock career. 

Agree, if it's the last we hear from Brian, he certainly went out in style! Basically replaced the irreplaceable in Bon Scott and put his own stamp on it. He did himself proud.

Such a bunch of shite. 

No 1, Axl is at least 15yrs younger than Brian... So it remains to be seen how good Axl will be when he's pushing 70.

No 2 Axl does a pretty damn good job, but that doesn't mean Brian is shit. Granted Brian's range detiorated around the black ice run but that will and does happen to every singer... Every singer but Hagar.

2 hours ago, AlexC said:

It's a pointless discussion to have and quite frankly, disrespectful. It doesn't matter if Axl sounds better. What matters is the history and Brian is a part of that, not Axl. But still... Axl/DC fucking rules. \m/

Why's it disrespectful people stating their preferences? Fuck me you're delicate.

• Like 1

Axl is my favorite singer but can't put him over Bon or Brian just out of respect if we're strictly talking about AC/DC.

i prefer Bon over Brian but think Brian is the technically better singer....nothing beats the first time i heard Back in Black. the amount of balls that song had.

Depends on what floats your boat.  If you like that power/rasp dynamic, then I would assume Brian and Axl would be your favourites.  Scott was always about presentation and charisma than performing overpowering vocals.  

I will say this, having heard Axl sing at the last Philly show, he sounded as good singing AC/DC's hardest songs as Brian did back in his prime.  When Axl's on, for me, regardless of what he's singing, there's no one better.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, downzy said:

When Axl's on, for me, regardless of what he's singing, there's no one better.  

Out of likes, well said!! rock3 and have to add, when he did nail those songs of Brian's...he absolutely earned many an AC/DC fan's respect and got a whole new following. I feel many were glad that they gave him a chance and did not stupidly sell their tickets.

Edited by marlingrl03
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Out of likes, well said!! rock3 and have to add, when he did nail those songs of Brian's...he absolutely earned many an AC/DC fan's respect and got a whole new following. I feel many were glad that they gave him a chance and did not stupidly sell their tickets.

oh he more than nailed it! and he is way better than Brian IMO. like i have said, i tried to like Brian but sorry his voice is unbearable to me. Axl makes me listen to songs i never could when Brian sang them. Bon was so great, i loved him before i ever saw him and that was after he died. my goodness, the first time i saw what he looked like was on Highway to Hell. best thing that ever happened was the internet when i could see Bon sing. Bon Posse! :headbang:

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh he more than nailed it! and he is way better than Brian IMO. like i have said, i tried to like Brian but sorry his voice is unbearable to me. Axl makes me listen to songs i never could when Brian sang them. Bon was so great, i loved him before i ever saw him and that was after he died. my goodness, the first time i saw what he looked like was on Highway to Hell. best thing that ever happened was the internet when i could see Bon sing. Bon Posse! :headbang:

Agree! Our rock station plays AC/DC all the time and I think mannnnn, I wish this BIB was the version of Axl singing it. and yes, he did way more than nail it! :) 

• Like 1

Bon is my favourite AC/DC singer. Brian was brilliant for a couple of albums (namely Back in Black, For Those About To Rock, Flick of the Switch, etc.). Axl ist the best possible replacement for Bon and Brian and I really hope for a new album with him. Even Dave Evans was a good singer but was in the wrong band.

• Like 1

Regardless of who you prefer, I think we can all agree that the fact that Angus managed to find the one other guy on the planet who could sound "right" for AC/DC on all levels is pretty impressive for this late in their career. Brian was great on the Bon stuff because he didn't imitate Bon but still sounded right for the music. Axl is a double whammy - he sounds amazing on the Brian and Bon stuff collectively, he fits the band, but he still definitively sounds like Axl Rose.

Hearing Shoot To Thrill and Hells Bells performed at the level of a 33 year old Brian in 2016 was pretty mind boggling - especially considering Axl is 20+ years older than Brian was on BIB.

Brian was the first voice I heard for AC/DC so he'll always be my favourite (in fact he's my favourite rock singer of all), but that doesn't mean I don't adore Bon as well. Bon had that unmistakeable voice, swagger, and persona that fit AC/DC better than anybody else could have. He always had that twinkle in his eye which contrasted his tougher image (until you realized how short he was :lol:).

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Regardless of who you prefer, I think we can all agree that the fact that Angus managed to find the one other guy on the planet who could sound "right" for AC/DC on all levels is pretty impressive for this late in their career. Brian was great on the Bon stuff because he didn't imitate Bon but still sounded right for the music. Axl is a double whammy - he sounds amazing on the Brian and Bon stuff collectively, he fits the band, but he still definitively sounds like Axl Rose.

Hearing Shoot To Thrill and Hells Bells performed at the level of a 33 year old Brian in 2016 was pretty mind boggling - especially considering Axl is 20+ years older than Brian was on BIB.

Brian was the first voice I heard for AC/DC so he'll always be my favourite (in fact he's my favourite rock singer of all), but that doesn't mean I don't adore Bon as well. Bon had that unmistakeable voice, swagger, and persona that fit AC/DC better than anybody else could have. He always had that twinkle in his eye which contrasted his tougher image (until you realized how short he was :lol:).

I'm out of likes but great post. Brian was the 1st I heard too but when I heard Bon there was no contest, whereas my Dad prefers Brian (mainly I think because he's from our neck of the woods in the North East of England:headbang:) In the end it's just a matter of personal taste. The fact that Axl can pull off both styles with ease shows the extent of his abilities, when I first heard him on the Brian stuff especially (given how hard those songs are to sing), I was blown away!

• Like 1

All 3 of them are fucking legends. We give Axl a lot of shit, but Brian's voice has clearly deteriorated a lot over the years. What happened from 83, 84 at most onwards is similar to Axl's 2010-2011 decline. Just ax Axl, Brian still found ways around it to put on a great show, but he pretty much became stuck in the high pitched gravely voice and lost all versatilty as a singer, as well as range.

Besides the hearing issues, when it comes to Brian smoking has probably did him in, as he was a smoker throughout his life. With Axl I have the impression there is more to it. Bon is not on their level vocally, but his style and charisma are perfect fits for AC/DC ad put him up there as a frontman. Bon and Brian are AC/DC, Axl is not, so he ranks 3rd, naturally.

Still, Axl's rasp in Rock or Bust is just so reminiscent of the old days, 90's or 2010. It's thick, powerful and full, and not really as high pitched as usual. I wonder how difficult it is for Axl to reach for this voice and why doesn't he do it more often.

For me and again personal opinion Bon Scott is and will always be # 1.  He is the "original" he was a unique person charismatic and one of the great front men and rock singers of all time.  My favorite ACDC songs are Bon era songs.   #2 Brian Johnson.. He stepped in after Bon left us way too early and did an incredible job, but as much as I don't want to say it there was a decline over a period of years in the live performances of Brian.  I would still out of respect recognize him as one of the greats in his prime and he was with the band for MANY years. and not to mention was on their biggest album ever.. Back In Black

So, then their is Axl. My # 1 but as far as AC/DC singers my # 3. He just has to be.  Vocally it could be argued he is # 1, but he has been there the least and is essentially a hired player... BUT   What I witnessed in Philly live was remarkable stepping in like that.  Showing maturity and professionalism because he has respect and is a fan of the band. It felt like Rock n Roll redemption need I dare say... it felt right.  As if in some way Axl brought back a bit of Bon.  and AC/DC felt more menacing again like the old days. Not just a cartoon gave it a shot in the arm, when it could have been "Shotdown in flames" 

Not bad for a # 3 :heart: Its what all the greats can do find a way to make it work and work so well the fans want more.

Edited by metalms
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, metalms said:

For me and again personal opinion Bon Scott is and will always be # 1.  He is the "original" he was a unique person charismatic and one of the great front men and rock singers of all time.  My favorite ACDC songs are Bon era songs.   #2 Brian Johnson.. He stepped in after Bon left us way too early and did an incredible job, but as much as I don't want to say it there was a decline over a period of years in the live performances of Brian.  I would still out of respect recognize him as one of the greats in his prime and he was with the band for MANY years. and not to mention was on their biggest album ever.. Back In Black

So, then their is Axl. My # 1 but as far as AC/DC singers my # 3. He just has to be.  Vocally it could be argued he is # 1, but he has been there the least and is essentially a hired player... BUT   What I witnessed in Philly live was remarkable stepping in like that.  Showing maturity and professionalism because he has respect and is a fan of the band. It felt like Rock n Roll redemption need I dare say... it felt right.  As if in some way Axl brought back a bit of Bon.  and AC/DC felt more menacing again like the old days. Not just a cartoon gave it a shot in the arm, when it could have been "Shotdown in flames" 

Not bad for a # 3 :heart: Its what all the greats can do find a way to make it work and work so well the fans want more.

great post my friend! :heart: