Axl vs Brian vs Scott

xBrownstonex

10 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Context is everything. Brian has been spotty since about 2000 - he's he some great years, and some not so great years. The Shot To Thrill comparison is, for example, from a not-so-great year. Compare Axl to Brian at Donington 91, it's a lot less clear who sounds better:

Rock Or Bust I'll absolutely admit Axl does better - the only ROB song that I think Brian has done justice live at all is Baptism By Fire, which they haven't done with Axl.

As for Riff Raff, that's literally the only time Brian did that song, as opposed to Axl who's done it many times between GN'R and AC/DC - not exactly a fair comparison. Regardless, I like Brian's take on it and wish it had been played more with him.

The thing with Bon is, he wasn't a great singer live on a technical level. But he had the attitude and the charisma that fit AC/DC perfectly, and that's why he's often regarded as the better of the AC/DC frontmen. 

I'm not saying Axl isn't better than Brian is now - he clearly is. Even last year, when Brian was sounding the best he has since Ballbreaker, he couldn't compete with Axl now, especially when you account for the fact that Axl doesn't need the band to downtune. But you're taking videos of Brian that either reflect rough eras or unfair context and comparing them to Axl right now.

Agreed 100%. I'll also add that Brian is 15 years older than Axl.

• Like 2

This is really a thing of personal choice.

But,

Bon ≥ Axl > Brian

Bon was taken away just as he was sitting his stride. He would have been a living Rock 'N Roll giant if he had still been with us and had been in good health. His charisma, his frontman skills, his lyrics/writing, musical ability were all things that added to his vocal skills which were considerable, but were probably a notch below either Axl/Brian.

Axl's phenomenal abilities as a frontman, lyricist, and vocalist are not in doubt, nor is his ear for good music, though we've all seen his vocal performances fluctuate wildly. It's great to see him back at top vocal form again.

Brian is a great guy and his work on BIB is unparalleled. During his glory days of '80-'83, his vocal skills were probably unmatched by anyone, then or now. For that brief time, he was probably the best singer in Rock or Metal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I seem to be a bigger Brian fan than most here.

1/ Bon

2/ Brian

3/ Axl

4000001/ Evans haha

But I think Axl is doing a very good job and have been pleasantly surprised by his performances.

Whatever your preferences, Evans has to be considerably behind the other three.

On ‎04‎.‎06‎.‎2016 at 7:56 PM, James Bond said:

Agreed 100%. I'll also add that Brian is 15 years older than Axl.

While I agree with the fact that the thread is crap and needs to go, but with all fairness to the OP, the video he posted is from 15 years ago. ;)

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2

For me it's 91 Donington Brian all the way. I'm not a fan of Brian's early voice on Back in Black & For Those about to Rock; for me he fell into his groove around Fly on the Wall.

Today, Axl of course rules them all but to be fair how will he sound 15 years from now? If he'll even still be singing at that point.

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2016 at 4:03 PM, The Archer said:

This is really a thing of personal choice.

But,

Bon ≥ Axl > Brian

Bon was taken away just as he was sitting his stride. He would have been a living Rock 'N Roll giant if he had still been with us and had been in good health. His charisma, his frontman skills, his lyrics/writing, musical ability were all things that added to his vocal skills which were considerable, but were probably a notch below either Axl/Brian.

Axl's phenomenal abilities as a frontman, lyricist, and vocalist are not in doubt, nor is his ear for good music, though we've all seen his vocal performances fluctuate wildly. It's great to see him back at top vocal form again.

Brian is a great guy and his work on BIB is unparalleled. During his glory days of '80-'83, his vocal skills were probably unmatched by anyone, then or now. For that brief time, he was probably the best singer in Rock or Metal.

agree with Bon > Axl > Brian. and Axl idolized and tried ( tries ) to emulate Bon. that's my opinion

on a side tonight today in rock history this happened:

Bon statue.JPG

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

Axl has done a fanfuckingtastic job fronting ACDC.

That said, get the fuck outta here man- can't touch Bon or Brian...and I'm a GNR fan.

yeah there is some merit to that. i enjoyed the AXL/DC stuff but if it came down to Axl with them or with GN'R i will choose GN'R every time. JMO and it's really out of of hands but...

• 4 weeks later...

Im not a hardcore fan of AC/DC, I love Axl as a singer, but its weird to see him in place of Brian.

Im used to AC/DC songs in Brian and Bon's voice.

Same thing when Axl or Myles sing GN'R songs, I would prefer Axl even though Myles is a great singer.

Im just a casual AC/DC fan and I came to know them by songs sung by Brian, so well I have to put him on number 1

So well for me its 

1. Brian

2. Bon

3. Axl