Will Axl ever get it? Why does he love Bloat so much?

RONIN

For 25 years fans and critics have been bitching to stop overproducing albums, dump the keyboard players, background singers, bongo players, etc. We know Axl cares what his critics think and I'm sure he took it hard that his magnum opus UYI albums that he obsessed over were quickly eclipsed by Metallica and the grunge bands. 

And yet in 2008, we got an even more bloated album with Chinese Democracy -- and now, a tour with a raver/synth person and Dizzy on bongos again. Does he just not give a fuck?

I don't intend this as criticism (UYI 2 is my favorite Guns album), but you'd think he would atleast take 25 years worth of criticism and tone down the bloat in the songs, stage shows and even the clownish costume changes. I don't think the shows would miss a beat if he retired the piano playing from November Rain. Just have Dizzy handle the piano and focus on singing the song. It would atleast give that song some much needed energy. 

• Like 1

who cares if he do a couple of costume changes ffs? It´s not like the whole show gets ruined because of a new jacket or hat lol. ACDC have their bell and canons and all that shit so i don´t know if that can be called strip down show..

BUT, i agree on the album part. CD would IMO be much better if it were stripped down a little..

10 hours ago, RONIN said:

I don't think the shows would miss a beat if he retired the piano playing from November Rain

Are you serious?! correct me if i´m wrong.. do you want Axl do ditch the piano in November Rain or do you want Dizzy as the only piano player on that song?

9 hours ago, killuridols said:

Should get rid of all elements that cause the bloat: beers, burgers, Melissa Reese, jewelry, awful shirts tied to waist, pole dancers, das boot, multiple layers in songs, hats, bandanas, 13 years of album production and the list gets more bloated...

Flannels tied around the waist and bandanas are two of axls trademark fashion styles.. How could you complain about Axl rose wearing a bandana! 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2016 at 7:44 AM, estranged_85 said:

who cares if he do a couple of costume changes ffs? It´s not like the whole show gets ruined because of a new jacket or hat lol. ACDC have their bell and canons and all that shit so i don´t know if that can be called strip down show..

BUT, i agree on the album part. CD would IMO be much better if it were stripped down a little..

Are you serious?! correct me if i´m wrong.. do you want Axl do ditch the piano in November Rain or do you want Dizzy as the only piano player on that song?

Yes, I'm serious -- the shows wouldn't miss a beat if Axl stopped playing piano. Do we really need a 15 minute piano solo before November Rain? Just sing the song with Dizzy playing keyboard -- it would rock harder. Just my opinion though -- I never really warmed to seeing a giant grand piano on stage.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2016 at 1:29 AM, RONIN said:

For 25 years fans and critics have been bitching to stop overproducing albums, dump the keyboard players, background singers, bongo players, etc. We know Axl cares what his critics think and I'm sure he took it hard that his magnum opus UYI albums that he obsessed over were quickly eclipsed by Metallica and the grunge bands. 

i am not sure that axl cares about critics and fans (in the sense of doing what critics and fans want him to do)

he apparently cares a lot about how he is perceived by fans and critics

(on the 80s and 90s he ranted quite a lot about getting mad after reading reviews etc) 

and apparently axl doesnt really want to play appetite stuff

but hes been playing it for 20 years to please the fans (and his bank account)

but when it comes to writing and recordings and releasing music, it looks more like axl does what he wants and couldnt care less about sales and popularity

he would never have released chinese democracy if he wanted to be popular, right?

===

one thing i am sure of is that no grunge band eclipsed GNR (much less metallica)

unless you consider "eclipsing" as in "eclipsing in terms of sales" or "eclipsing in terms of popularity"

no grunge band (except alice in chains) ever came close to eclipse GNR in terms of music

even the illusion albums

you have a lot of filler on those

but you just take one song

you could be mine

no grunge band (and much less metallica) will ever eclipse that song because they cant write a song this good

:headbang:

32 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Yes, I'm serious -- the shows wouldn't miss a beat if Axl stopped playing piano. Do we really need a 15 minute piano solo before November Rain? Just sing the song with Dizzy playing keyboard -- it would rock harder. Just my opinion though -- I never really warmed to seeing a giant grand piano on stage.

i agree with you that less is more

but this live performance of november rain

with izzy and duff singing backing vocals

and no roberta, no tracy and no circus onstage

well

thats raw and rocking enough to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpkZP8f8x4I

On 6/5/2016 at 10:19 AM, The Glow Inc. said:

He ditched one guitarist, ain't that a step in the right direction ?

one down, frank, richard, melissa and dizzy to go

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe Axl views it that way.  I think he values a production element, let's put it that way.  The guy's a fan of Liberace for God's sake!

It's almost like he's putting on a broadway show, but within a rock n' roll band with complete sincerity.  I don't fault him for that, it makes him who he is. 

Yeah, he basically has flamboyant taste.

It was probably less jarring in the past because you can get away with a lot when you're young and skinny. Plus Izzy, Slash and Duff probably reigned him in, like when they vetoed Dizzy's inclusion.