China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, like that Eddie Trunk radio interview from 2006. A funny, relaxed conversation like that, cracking jokes, two hours long. I hope it happens! Apparently he did very well with these questions, although most of them sound naive and not much challenging, but Axl still released more info than what was asked and that indicates he's open to talk about it.

It is nice to see him open up, it was rare he gave interviews after 1990.

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, like that Eddie Trunk radio interview from 2006. A funny, relaxed conversation like that, cracking jokes, two hours long. I hope it happens! Apparently he did very well with these questions, although most of them sound naive and not much challenging, but Axl still released more info than what was asked and that indicates he's open to talk about it.

Eddie Trunk type interview would be good, but I want it filmed and not just as a radio interview. 

I'm sure Axl knows how to hide in plain sight as far as just doing day to day stuff goes, no one living where he lives seeks out celebrities except for fans and paparazzi.

In a way his reputation keeps a lot of people from approaching him, but it also means he's going to be nicer than some fake celeb who is a jackass when the cameras aren't on on them, but with everyone  having video on their phones, there's not  a time when the cameras aren't going to be on them. 

No one's brought up whether or not he was paid to do the Q&A. 

Edited by dalsh327

Axl seemed way more confident here, compared to those That metal show and Jimmy Kimmel interviews. And it's no wonder. When Slash and Duff are in GNR most people accept it as GNR and Axl doesn't have to defend himself like before. And surely the positive reactions to Axl/DC has helped too. Great to see him this way.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Slosh13 said:

How do you know Richard and Frank didn't want to leave? YOU DON'T KNOW anything about the negotiations. Ashba leaving for Slash was probably the right thing for the band, but we do not know about Adler and Stradlin being contacted to replace the others.

Perhaps Axl wanted them [Fortus and Frank] to stay because of their relationship.

I think he wanted them because they were already there. Axl has made it very clear since forming nuGNR that he would never just blatantly fire anyone, and he didnt. He didn't fire Tommy, Bumble, or dj. They all quit on their own, and I'm assuming the same with pitman. 

9 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Axl seemed way more confident here, compared to those That metal show and Jimmy Kimmel interviews. And it's no wonder. When Slash and Duff are in GNR most people accept it as GNR and Axl doesn't have to defend himself like before. And surely the positive reactions to Axl/DC has helped too. Great to see him this way.

Probably feels like it's less "me against them" type situation now. When you have Slash and Duff back with you, you have GNR from a publicity standpoint. Everyone knows Axl and Slash but a lot are starting to know Duff too in ways outside of music. Considering Duff has become this era's rock musician turned intellectual and has had success in doing that and putting his name and thoughts out there, he brings credibility. For a better or worse, he brings more credibility than the guy who left the band in 91 that only hardcore's really know, or Steven or Matt. 

You still have to deal with the crazy fans who insist this is nothing without Steven and Izzy though. I feel their pain in a way because I'm as big of fan as they are. But really they have become the internet's version of groupies. They are after using the band to promote themselves if you think about it. Only instead of wanting to be famous or sleep with the band, they are wanting to get off using nostalgia from them so they can bask in the memories they have. The memories that remind them of a simpler time in their life perhaps. Or some people really need the symbol of the original band in the same way I use the clock to tell the time.

"How can you call it GNR without Izzy and Steven!?!?" is just like "How am I to know what time it is without the clock!?!?" Because the sun shines bright and the music is always there regardless that's why.

So I think Axl can handle that critique easier than the burden of a large percentage of people not thinking it's GNR without Slash, and now Duff, who I think has earned 1C to Axl and Slash's 1A/1B.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KiernanProud said:

Didn't we know that?

We did. It just never seizes to amaze me how many people like believe that lawyers did everything and slash just showed up to GNR rehearsals like axl wouldn't know. Obviously they talked and hugged it out well before coachella was announced. 

5 hours ago, Apollo said:

The orchestra comments about CD seem to confirm that Axl doesn't get the reason CD failed to many people. 

He brags and seems excited about the fact that he used FIVE orchestras on some CD songs. Two by the professionals (the two we've heard worked on CD) and he says that he and Pittman worked with three "electronic" orchestra. 

So on some songs there was "a 500 piece orchestra" playing. 

I think most GnR and Axl rose fans would love a stripped down rock and roll record. No rock album needs a 500 piece orchestra on it. 

As someone who does love film music I like that influence on CD very much. I do think he is over exaggerating here as he probably meant they used different orchestra takes etc. and synthesizer to beef up some of the songs. There's no way they even had a 100 piece orchestra playing, I suspect the recording sessions were done with a smaller orchestra. The emphasis on getting the instrumental parts right and having his lyrics match that I found also an interesting remark. I find it all very ambitious but I can see how people who want stripped down rock n' roll might not care for it. Their loss IMO.

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Apollo said:

*Slash says in his book about ten times "this is just my opinion on what happened, Axl probably saw it a completely different way" or words to that effect.

*The shoes do look cool. 

*Hopefully somebody asked about new music. That's really the main thing that matters. 

New music with the current line up?

When would it be released?

Will you play new songs on this current tour?

What is going to happen to the songs for CD2 and CD3? 

Will the remix album be released?

Is this GnR now or is it a one off deal? It's been reported that Slash has written songs with the Conspirators. Is Slash leaving GnR after this tour, or is he playing with both bands? 

How come Frank and Fortus were kept instead of original members Adler and Izzy? Any chance they will show up as a guest for a show? What do you say to the fans that are dissapointed and confused as to why you didn't do an actual reunion?

What's the reason behind having Frank play the songs so fast?

How long have you and Slash been talking? Who made the first call? 

How long did it take for reunion talks to start? And once they did, how long until everything was finalized?

Do you regret losing Bucket and Robin? That lineup appeared to have a lot of fire and potential to push you to new levels.

If DJ hadn't quit, were you really going to go with three guitar players?

Do you feel like you've let your fans down by only releasing one album of original material in the last 25 years? Any chance you can rectify that over the next year by cleaning out the vault? Why not release CD2, CD3 and fhe remix album this year. Then a brand new GnR album and ACDC album in 2017. 

How often do you personally check out the GnR forums? And if you do, do you ever post (under a fake name, of course)?

Now that it's far in the past and you've matured and relaxed, do you look back at the Illusions tour and have regrets for your actions - starting shows 2-3 hours late, alienating yourself from the other guys with the theme parties, not playing a killer show after Hetfield burned his arm, and the general behavior that made people start referring to you as a diva?

What are your thoughts on how critics, your fans and rock and roll fans received Chinese Democracy? 

How do you respond to your diehard loyal fans who say they loved the CD leaks - which were raw and full of energy - but were dissapointed with how the songs were finalized for the album. Tinkered with to death, too many layers, too much cut and paste. A lot of fans think CD would have been way better if you hadn't over processed it to death.

Do band members have a form of a gag order? There has always been rumors of them, but some so-called insiders always say there isn't....but Pittman mouths off and immediately gets fired!

How did you feel about Erin auctioning off those personal items?

Do you still believe that you and Stephanie lived in past lives together? 

Do you - or did you - really have a notebook where you kept detailed records of when people talked badly about you?

What did Tom Petty say to you backstage after you blew him offstage while performing Free Falling?

Why didn't you show up and fight Vince?

How much credit (or not) do you give the singer of Shark Island for helping you "develop" your stage moves?

Hairmetalmusic.com named Chinese Democracy as the most underrated rock album of all time and Civil War as fhe second most underrated rock song of all time. How high do those honors rank on your all time achievement scale? 

And finally, can you take one picture without the hat, glasses, and layers of clothes on so she ladies of the forum can have something to drool over for the rest of the year?

That would about cover my list of questions. 

There's a lot of questions I guess everyone would like to have answers to, but the whole thing was very respectful and of course I doubt in that environment (where everyone felt really honoured and lucky to be there) that anyone would questions too direct.  To be among the few lucky people to actually speak directly to THE Axl Rose, most people wouldn't want to spoil that special chance by asking Axl something that he didn't want to answer or get brushed off if he felt the question was rude. 

19 minutes ago, Sprite said:

You still have to deal with the crazy fans who insist this is nothing without Steven and Izzy though. I feel their pain in a way because I'm as big of fan as they are. But really they have become the internet's version of groupies. They are after using the band to promote themselves if you think about it. Only instead of wanting to be famous or sleep with the band, they are wanting to get off using nostalgia from them so they can bask in the memories they have. The memories that remind them of a simpler time in their life perhaps. Or some people really need the symbol of the original band in the same way I use the clock to tell the time.

This. Don't we know them all. It's tiring and annoying after a while, but they are not going to go away and all that can be done is just accept their viewpoints. If they can't appreciate or enjoy change, it really is their loss.

19 minutes ago, Sprite said:

"How can you call it GNR without Izzy and Steven!?!?" is just like "How am I to know what time it is without the clock!?!?" Because the sun shines bright and the music is always there regardless that's why.

:lol:

• Like 1

Btw I believe tht I read Dexter/Axl write book but didnt continue it on this forum.

When was Dexter chat happens?

I really hope its already finished N' He can publish it soon.

N' I would love to read if (AFD) GN'R publish a book like Reckless Road where Everyone write Their side, All behind the scene especially Their  reunion 

2 hours ago, The Archer said:

Awesome!!! Welcome to the forum and this has to be one of the all time great first posts on here.

Thank you!  Who else had a successful debut LOL

I think Chinese Democracy is the worst thing I have ever listened, but I will say this:  This I Love, the instrumental, could have been an incredibly good piece of music for a movie.  Arrangements are truly great and the piano bits are exceptional.

I encourage Axl Rose to venture in the movie score business.

11 hours ago, wasted said:

At least Slash and Duff like what Axl has so far, so there's a possiblity of a collaboration for the next record. 

I just hope they don't "like" it the same way they "liked" My world.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CheapJon said:

I just hope they don't "like" it the same way they "liked" My world.

That is exactly what went through my mind as well :facepalm:

But I m gonna try to stay optimistic for now.

2 hours ago, The Archer said:

Did he say he had once wanted Izzy to jump out of a plane and film that for one of the GN'R videos or was I dreaming :rofl-lol:??? 

:lol:

I would love to see that

Maybe @Carlycosmos could help tht by makin' it comin' true using photoshop 

I'm curious for wht/which video

Edited by SerenityScorp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carne_asaDA said:

I'm wonder if Axl's mindset is that he has total creative control going forward.

I don't think he ever really had total creative control in a sense. They could still put out soul monster just wipe out tommys bass parts for duffs since they'd be pretty much the same, and just have slash re record the solos. Kind of like Chinese and this I love when they're played live. So even though the song isn't being written from scratch they still get to write their own parts and bring something different to the songs. It's a fair compromise. 

• Like 1

Will He Write an Autobiography?
“I think so, possibly yes. But it’s tough because I haven’t figured out a way to word things that doesn’t just look like I’m being negative to everybody else, or calling them a liar. Slash and I hadn’t talked in 19 years, and when we did talk, I was like, ‘You know, you wrote about a lot of stuff that didn’t happen, that just … is not real.'”

This is why We need Your book, Axl! @Dexter  :headbang:

• Like 1