China Exchange: 60 Minutes with Axl Rose

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

There is no way Axl won't use Slash, I agree the tour must be completed, just tour all over the world and make some money, perhaps even play more deep cuts. Rock In Rio could be with Izzy and/or Steven.

I think Axl was never going to abandoned the shit in the vault that he's attached to. CD ll in it's completed form got there in the first place only because Axl believed in those songs.

Now Slash and Duff are willing to work on stuff Axl has played them already. He is willing to work on new ideas along side it which is not surprising to me.

Axl is also you know... willing to go in a studio with Angus and the rest of the band and do an album. I think I can see what he wants to do now, that interview shed light on the plan.

It's still just the first steps and they are all busy. This is not for right now. The tour is actually a good idea. Let them get used to one another again, Slash and Duff have an idea of what Axl songs sound like. They're all Gunners, it's not really an issue of them coming up with good ideas for Axl's tunes. Slash already prove he can inject himself, Duff will do his thing.

We're gonna need a lot of patience, but it's still a go. Best of both worlds is the plan. I think Axl will wait on a Guns album for Angus. AC/DC can decide they need Axl in 3 years from now, so the timeline is still undecided.

1. AC/DC and Guns tour

2. AC/DC album will be first priority for Axl imo

3. work on a Guns album begins.

After 2011 Axl became Don Draper - always looking to make a buck and nail hot bitches as his past catches up with him. 

• Like 1

Robin only wrote 1 song on CD? 

Bucket did Shackler's, Scraped..maybe the material Axl has shown Slash isn't CD II? 

Fortus said he was working on an old Slash idea. Axl maybe have some ideas that aren't CD II tracks like Atlas and The General. 

If not then Slash will be more like the new Ron. He'll re-do solos and add parts to songs. Like he did live with the CD tracks. 

But they might record new tracks too. CD era could be like the UYI tracks from the AFD era. Say Atlas is the November Rain, Jackie Chan is YCBM, Seven is the Don't Cry. Then they use The Seeker and Whole Lotta Rosie. Then Soul Monster, Berlin, Thyme. 

My guess is Axl showed them the orchestra epics and is hoping they bring the rockers. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wasted said:

Robin only wrote 1 song on CD? 

Bucket did Shackler's, Scraped..maybe the material Axl has shown Slash isn't CD II? 

Fortus said he was working on an old Slash idea. Axl maybe have some ideas that aren't CD II tracks like Atlas and The General. 

If not then Slash will be more like the new Ron. He'll re-do solos and add parts to songs. Like he did live with the CD tracks. 

But they might record new tracks too. CD era could be like the UYI tracks from the AFD era. Say Atlas is the November Rain, Jackie Chan is YCBM, Seven is the Don't Cry. Then they use The Seeker and Whole Lotta Rosie. Then Soul Monster, Berlin, Thyme. 

My guess is Axl showed them the orchestra epics and is hoping they bring the rockers. 

Melting pots is Axl's thing. Taking many styles and music made by different people and making it unified. Putting together the puzzle. I wonder how many layers will it have. I hope many. If I try to imagine how it'll sound, it will probably have some nasty Slash and Fortus rockers, like riff oriented in nature. Slash fuckin' wailing.

Then Axl epics with full Beltrami, Slash going nuts on top.

A couple of punk Duff rockers

A Fortus track

While Mellisa is providing backing vocals, as well as Duff and Dizzy.

Lyrics, production, vocals, and the mix will take time maybe. Which producer? full rasp or varied vocals? what are they gonna talk about, what is the theme?

Robin wrote many songs for Axl. He has talked about it twice. If there is something as strong as Better, or as fitting musically as There Was A Time only differently in connection to the next album, I think it will be used, but I don't know if it will feel cohesive to keep even some of Robin's and Bucket's solos while you have Slash in Guns again.

What will happen to Robin's SRV solo? I'd love to hear CD ll in it's completed form now, with all those solos as is and another album made up from the rest of the shit in the vault, maybe even 2 albums worth of material (3 albums total like Fortus said)

I guess it doesn't serve the purpose and will create confusion. There is no context in releasing CD ll digitally even. These unreleased songs could be on par with Chinese 1, so why not keep that and use it with Slash?

So yeah... not sure if we'll ever get to hear Bucket's and Robin's lead work in an official release. I'm very upset but also Slash will comfort me with nu Safari solos.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Melting pots is Axl's thing. Taking many styles and music made by different people and making it unified. Putting together the puzzle. I wonder how many layers will it have. I hope many. If I try to imagine how it'll sound, it will probably have some nasty Slash and Fortus rockers, like riff oriented in nature. Slash fuckin' wailing.

Then Axl epics with full Beltrami, Slash going nuts on top.

A couple of punk Duff rockers

A Fortus track

While Mellisa is providing backing vocals, as well as Duff and Dizzy.

Lyrics, production, vocals, and the mix will take time maybe. Which producer? full rasp or varied vocals? what are they gonna talk about, what is the theme?

Robin wrote many songs for Axl. He has talked about it twice. If there is something as strong as Better, or as fitting musically as There Was A Time only differently in connection to the next album, I think it will be used, but I don't know if it will feel cohesive to keep even some of Robin's and Bucket's solos while you have Slash in Guns again.

What will happen to Robin's SRV solo? I'd love to hear CD ll in it's completed form now, with all those solos as is and another album made up from the rest of the shit in the vault, maybe even 2 albums worth of material (3 albums total like Fortus said)

I guess it doesn't serve the purpose and will create confusion. There is no context in releasing CD ll digitally even. These unreleased songs could be on par with Chinese 1, so why not keep that and use it with Slash?

So yeah... not sure if we'll ever get to hear Bucket's and Robin's lead work in an official release. I'm very upset but also Slash will comfort me with nu Safari solos.

But on the other hand, Axl toured CD with Ron playing Bucket solos and Dj taking the Robin role. But then the focus of the singles had Ron and Frank on them. 

So if Axl has a Beltrami track like Seven, he might just leave it as is because it's perfect. But then Slash will do his version of the solo live. 

But say with Atlas, Slash might do a better solo than Ron on it. The General is the sequel to Estranged, shouldn't that have Slash on it? 

It really depends if Slash and Duff bring great new material. I doubt it. So I think Slash will just help Axl finish the record and hit the road for the money. 

Stop talking about CD2. It was and still is a nine inch nail hammered in the heart of GnR. Its the most expensive concept/experimental Album in the history of music. The vibe of it is not gnr brand worthy. 

While saying this, i think it has a lot of great ideas, but shouldn't be in the gnr catalogue as my world and the whole tsi Album. It all went wrong from then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frey said:

Great post. But I've never really understood the part above.

Why would Stephanie Seymour care so much about GnRs musical direction or the quality of Axl's song writing output? It's not like she was in the band or a musician herself or anything like that. And even if it really wasn't any good, I'd never straight up say that to my fiance in such a way and call it "crap".

Thanks. I don't think this is odd. Maybe it was at the time when their relationship was deteriorating; it's not unusual for couples to say things just to hurt each other and she may have used his music to hurt him.

4 hours ago, Frey said:

Similarly, I also just can't picture Slash and especially Duff just walking up to Axl and calling him an indiot and a loser to his face. WTF?? Doesnt sound at all like them.

I really dont know what to think about this. If Axl isn't just making this up, then it probably shows his very skewed perception if reality. Probably Slash and Duff (and maybe even Steph) did make some remarks about how they didn't like something or disagreed with him about something, and in his mind it turned into "They think its's all crap. They think I'm an idiot and a loser!" He was always prone to exaggeration.

Slash was talking to the press calling Axl's piano songs "shit". Why wouldn't he say the same and more to Axl's face? From what I understand, there was a war going on where Slash and Duff were like "we did what you wanted, that's enough, now it will be done as we want it, no more fancy new ideas and changes from you". These guys had a long way together and they wouldn't be talking nicely to each other when they fought. Furthermore, Slash and Duff were so wasted at that time that may have said things on one day and forgotten saying them the next.

Edited by Blackstar

4 hours ago, Frey said:

Great post. But I've never really understood the part above.

Why would Stephanie Seymour care so much about GnRs musical direction or the quality of Axl's song writing output? It's not like she was in the band or a musician herself or anything like that. And even if it really wasn't any good, I'd never straight up say that to my fiance in such a way and call it "crap".

Similarly, I also just can't picture Slash and especially Duff just walking up to Axl and calling him an indiot and a loser to his face. WTF?? Doesnt sound at all like them.

I really dont know what to think about this. If Axl isn't just making this up, then it probably shows his very skewed perception if reality. Probably Slash and Duff (and maybe even Steph) did make some remarks about how they didn't like something or disagreed with him about something, and in his mind it turned into "They think its's all crap. They think I'm an idiot and a loser!" He was always prone to exaggeration.

I thought Axl was refering to Nov Rain and Estranged? Or Maybe This I Love which I think Axl was talking about on Making videos? Slash and Duff at the height of their drug use didn't get those songs. Alledgedly. 

Seymour. Possibly it's just she dumped Axl which he lumps together as rejection from everyone. He's generalizing. Or she was jeslous of Axl singing about another chick every night. Or she saw more money in AC/AFD and Axl spending millions on lavish videos as less money for her. So she thought he was a loser, you know going round taking his artistic vision serious while losing money. So she married a billionaire. 

Maybe Axl wrote songs for her we haven't heard and she said they were shit or something. I mean he did real romantic shit for her. Like riding a horse to her house? Like a knight? 

On one hand it's cool that Axl puts all this effort into his music. But it's such a sacrifice personally. To have songs like NR and Estranged, even Breakdown and your band not want to help you must be pretty depressing. Axl on the other hand let Izzy and Duff sing on the albums. 

It's strange to think that Slash and Duff didn't see the merits of November rain, and their vision of GNR was basically VR. That's what they were blocking Nov Rain for? Surely when they sobered up they realised? 

I don't think it's crazy to think that Slash and Duff would say those things given their drug addict state of mind and the fact that they were all fighting around the time major shit hit the fan. Slash is pretty harsh when he wants to. Like when he says "I didn't want to do any more Stephanie Seymour ballads", that's a mean thing to say and its provocative, so I wouldn't be surprised he called Axl loser or whatever.

Stephanie, I don't know, but in the middle of a fight I think it's also possible that she called him names as well. 

Considering Axl said he had a lot of the album finished, this would just be Slash and Duff bringing in a few songs and re-recording what's already been done.

Whatever Slash said before 2006, who knows if he even remembers saying it, Matt said Slash was coming to him when he was writing the book and had no memory of a lot of things, so maybe some of those lies were coming from Sorum?

When you think about it it would piss you off if someone wrote things about you that didn't happen, and show it in a negative light. 

And once the book is out then that's it...it's forever there and people take it as fact.

things could be true though, but Axl being this upset and Slash showing uncertainty leads me to believe things weren't written down as 100% truth. So I'm starting to get the hate for the book which has seemingly been the biggest bridge to fixing the relationship 

31 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

When you think about it it would piss you off if someone wrote things about you that didn't happen, and show it in a negative light. 

And once the book is out then that's it...it's forever there and people take it as fact.

things could be true though, but Axl being this upset and Slash showing uncertainty leads me to believe things weren't written down as 100% truth. So I'm starting to get the hate for the book which has seemingly been the biggest bridge to fixing the relationship 

People (Axl included) need to get over the book.  All of these auto-biographies stretch the truth (they are in it to sell $$$ books).  I'm sure between faded memories (for all the obvious reasons), the need to drum up interesting stories, the pressure from the publisher etc....I mean from Charles Barkley, Diamond Dave, Sammy Hagar, name the book...to Slash they all remember things slightly different from what the exact truth was/is.  I mean is Axl's side 100% the golden truth?  As with most disagreements the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.  The fucking book is out and has been out for years.  Time to move on...let it go.  Does anyone really believe that if/when Axl puts his book out if will be 100% true?  No.  And it doesn't matter.  Did Slash cry when Axl was telling the story of Slash pissing the bed and Axl getting the girls?  Did Slash come out and say "liar" etc.... that portrayed Slash in a "negative light" right?  I bet Slash saw that clip by Axl and A- laughed and B said "did I really do that...LOL". 

Our brains are pretty awful at recording things. Memories are heavily based on emotion, perception, and other memories. Every time we remember something we edit the memory with current emotions, perceptions and other memories.  Part of the reason there are so many varying stories about how an event happened until the group has talked about those memories and (usually unconsciously) come to a consensus on what happened. Then they will remember it that way regardless of whether it really happened that way or not- or if it happened at all.

Using mind-altering substances just makes the whole memory process worse.

This is why I generally give people the benefit of the doubt and don't automatically accuse them of lying.

11 minutes ago, Original said:

Did Slash cry when Axl was telling the story of Slash pissing the bed and Axl getting the girls?  Did Slash come out and say "liar" etc.... that portrayed Slash in a "negative light" right?  I bet Slash saw that clip by Axl and A- laughed and B said "did I really do that...LOL". 

I always get the sense that Axl is a glass half-empty kind of guy, while Slash tends to be half-full. Axl really labours on negative things, or things he perceives to be negative. It's not healthy imo.

Books are usually updated and revised if something major happened, and Slash had a few major things happen since he put the book out. Fans consider what's in these books to be absolute truth.

There's a lot of ways to write a memoir and different ways to tell a story. Duff even said he left a ton of stuff out of "It's So Easy" because he didn't want to put everything out there. 

1 hour ago, Original said:

People (Axl included) need to get over the book.  All of these auto-biographies stretch the truth (they are in it to sell $$$ books).  I'm sure between faded memories (for all the obvious reasons), the need to drum up interesting stories, the pressure from the publisher etc....I mean from Charles Barkley, Diamond Dave, Sammy Hagar, name the book...to Slash they all remember things slightly different from what the exact truth was/is.  I mean is Axl's side 100% the golden truth?  As with most disagreements the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.  The fucking book is out and has been out for years.  Time to move on...let it go.  Does anyone really believe that if/when Axl puts his book out if will be 100% true?  No.  And it doesn't matter.  Did Slash cry when Axl was telling the story of Slash pissing the bed and Axl getting the girls?  Did Slash come out and say "liar" etc.... that portrayed Slash in a "negative light" right?  I bet Slash saw that clip by Axl and A- laughed and B said "did I really do that...LOL". 

I think it can be said that he did get over it...it only took him a little longer haha 

13 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Our brains are pretty awful at recording things. Memories are heavily based on emotion, perception, and other memories. Every time we remember something we edit the memory with current emotions, perceptions and other memories.  Part of the reason there are so many varying stories about how an event happened until the group has talked about those memories and (usually unconsciously) come to a consensus on what happened. Then they will remember it that way regardless of whether it really happened that way or not- or if it happened at all.

Using mind-altering substances just makes the whole memory process worse.

This is why I generally give people the benefit of the doubt and don't automatically accuse them of lying.

The thing about Axl is, :lol::lol: based on what Izzy said, the guy has/had incidents written down in notebooks for future reference LOL. So things were recorded in real time I guess hahaha. Whether they are the truth or otherwise, that's another story.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

The thing about Axl is, :lol::lol: based on what Izzy said, the guy has/had incidents written down in notebooks for future reference LOL. So things were recorded in real time I guess hahaha. Whether they are the truth or otherwise, that's another story.

I remember somebody linked a site that had all these quotes about Axl. One of them was maybe Izzy or Sorum or someone telling how they talked with Axl on the phone, and Axl was cross-examining him like "but in this and this magazine interview you said..." and they guy was just "but Axl, that was over two years ago!". 

I think problem is when you isolate a quote or section from the book and base a reaction off just that. 

Slash also said it was a legal faux pas (mistake?) and that he never thought Axl would continue GNR without them. So when he signed it was like whatever who cares. 

People make too much of a big deal over the name though. I checked a Van Hagar album out and didn't like it, I liked Brian Johnson DC in fact more than Bon era, I love CD era Guns, that Motely Crue album without Vince was great. I'm not going to focus on stuff I don't like. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wasted said:

I think problem is when you isolate a quote or section from the book and base a reaction off just that. 

Slash also said it was a legal faux pas (mistake?) and that he never thought Axl would continue GNR without them. So when he signed it was like whatever who cares. 

People make too much of a big deal over the name though. I checked a Van Hagar album out and didn't like it, I liked Brian Johnson DC in fact more than Bon era, I love CD era Guns, that Motely Crue album without Vince was great. I'm not going to focus on stuff I don't like. 

I think if there is enough interest to dissect the book than the opinion is already made up. At this point we just want confirmation of what we already think vis-a-vis the Axl v. Slash argument. It's masturbation really.

As for the naming rights it feels a little like getting into the neighbors marriage life. But I tend to side with the Axl point of the contract would have been null and void had the threat of not going onstage in front of thousands if Slash & Duff didn't sign. I feel like I could argue this is court. Imagine a real lawyer? That's almost like getting a false confession. Ok he said it, but what was the circumstance? I don't think wet blankets work all the time and I don't think that was very likely to have happened between the 3 of them.

The way I see it is it's not mine, I'm only a fan. And I don't have the experience to say what I would have or what could have been done differently. I just enjoy the music and like listening to professional musicians. It is possible to like Buckethead and Steven Adler at once. I know.... I'm going rogue. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sprite said:

I think if there is enough interest to dissect the book than the opinion is already made up. At this point we just want confirmation of what we already think vis-a-vis the Axl v. Slash argument. It's masturbation really.

As for the naming rights it feels a little like getting into the neighbors marriage life. But I tend to side with the Axl point of the contract would have been null and void had the threat of not going onstage in front of thousands if Slash & Duff didn't sign. I feel like I could argue this is court. Imagine a real lawyer? That's almost like getting a false confession. Ok he said it, but what was the circumstance? I don't think wet blankets work all the time and I don't think that was very likely to have happened between the 3 of them.

The way I see it is it's not mine, I'm only a fan. And I don't have the experience to say what I would have or what could have been done differently. I just enjoy the music and like listening to professional musicians. It is possible to like Buckethead and Steven Adler at once. I know.... I'm going rogue. 

I like that the GNR universe is so varied and entertaining. You don't really need to leave.