Frank Ferrer: How I nailed the Guns N' Roses gig

19 minutes ago, Naupis said:

but he will continue to overcompensate with his all things CD era emphasis when frankly no one outside of himself, Frank, Richard or the Lebeis family gives even one fuck about it.

I care.   Many others do.   CD's a fine album and many of the songs hold up well with the older GnR stuff.

• Like 1

I have no issues with him as a drummer. We can all sit around and say this one is better then that but it's all opinion. Franks the drummer now.

Me personally I like Sorum and Brain. If I'm honest I like each one in their own ways. Steven for example was great on Appetite but I don't think he was ready for the evolution that became Illusions and CD. The drumming is a  simple on Appetite. It's not a diss really it's just his style is different.

Frank has many drummers shoes to fill and I enjoy hearing his drumming. I do wonder about the tempo but that could be Axl or even Slash or Duff who knows.

If Steven and Matt were not a part of this then Brent Snape Fitz would have been the perfect choice, that dude is so cool and awesome.

Snape Fitz is even better than Matt, his drumming of Slash's albums are just amazing, what the hell did even Frank did? just re re record bits and pieces to songs?

Its not that late now, bring back adler or just kick out ferrer and bring in Brent Snape Fitz

• Like 2

" Adler’s playing was one of the greatest rock drumming performances in the history of music. You can put it in the top ten. His playing on Appetite… is perfect. Then with Sorum it’s a little more tight and more reserved kind of playing. I do try to keep that spirit, though "

Frank please :facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ6QPLEdF70

And he had a fucking stroke.

15 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

If Steven and Matt were not a part of this then Brent Snape Fitz would have been the perfect choice, that dude is so cool and awesome.

Snape Fitz is even better than Matt, his drumming of Slash's albums are just amazing, what the hell did even Frank did? just re re record bits and pieces to songs?

Its not that late now, bring back adler or just kick out ferrer and bring in Brent Snape Fitz

Frank played on 5 Chinese tunes I think. He's in Guns for 10 years now. Axl is not gonna kick him out cause Fitz is a perfect choice in your opinion.

Not really a fan of his drumming, but he's not a terrible drummer imo. In general, I don't remember this kind of hate for him or just focus on his drumming before Slash and Duff came back to the band.

I think it started with Pitman cause when he was fired and you had Slash and Duff all of a sudden, I guess some fans don't understand why it can't go all the way and just get rid of the band members you don't like.

But it's about what Axl wants really. Like even if Steven and Izzy will perform with Guns, I seriously doubt Axl is gonna fire Frank and Richard.

Most of the fan base, most of it, was fine with Frank before the hybrid. Now people just can't accept Frank but it's a bit silly when in reality he joined in 2006.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 4

Is Frank actually gonna kick Ashba from his hated throne? Looks like so to me. 

I think he tone his funky style a bit since the reunion started. There are still some problems but there have more to do with the faster tempo they have chosen, and I don't think Frank is the one who did.

Oh and Brent Fitz? Come on.

Wasn't lolPitman spouting similar crap about how he's enjoying being in the band, the tour's gonna be great, he's a legit member etc when the reunion was first announced? Well, if Pitman's fate is something to go by, we shouldn't give up hope that Frank will follow in his footsteps someday, making room for Steven/Matt. And then Fortus will feel alienated and Izzy will return and voila! Have faith, guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slash787 said:

People say this, and I get why, but I don't want Fitz being sucked into the black hole that is GNR. Plus I'm not sure Slash would even want to mix his two bands like that, if it goes sour with Guns, he'll need an escape route.

• Like 1

I like Frank, he is not the best drummer in the world but I think he does a fine job. i will say this that Steven sounds the best on Brownstone but Frank isnt the worst,in my opinion matt drumming on Brownstone wasnt that great and I like Matt but when he played Brownstone it was too slow, Ive been a fan of this band for 30 years and will be very happy to see them again next month in the burgh.

Frank had the most history with Fortus, some history with Stinson, he had also been in a band with Sami Yaffa of Hanoi Rocks, it made sense why he'd be in GNR if Tommy was Axl's bandleader. 

I'm sure Slash and Duff would rather have Sorum there because of how long Duff and Matt have been a rhythm section. There's enough "examples" of how he played GNR songs in VR and KOC about how he'd sound now vs the 1991-1993 "big drums" era. 

Brain having GNR history and his girlfriend in the band just makes the return of Buckethead a remote possibility, but still a possibility.

If Richard for some reason couldn't do the shows, fell sick or whatever, I'm sure Kushner's waiting in the wings - and so is Stradlin.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

If Richard for some reason couldn't do the shows, fell sick or whatever, I'm sure Kushner's waiting in the wings - and so is Stradlin.  

Why do you keep pushing this Kushner idea? What is it based on?

48 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

All the negative talk about Frank and yet I feel the worst sounding drummer in Guns was Brain. 

Me too. Brain was, objectively speaking, probably the most talented drummer the band ever had. However, I always felt his style and feel was totally wrong for the songs. People bitch about Frank changing fills but did everybody forget about Brain? His YCBM was terrible, his Brownstone intro was the same as Frank played it (I realize Frank plays it correctly now), and he had fills all over the place. Listen to November Rain from RIR 2006 or Rock Am Ring. It's even further removed from the original than Frank's current approach.

9 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

should recall that Steven often had difficulty playing anything he wrote live. No need to have been alive during the era, plenty of recorded sources to verify.

Ummmm.. What fantasy world was this?

Frank is a well-rounded drummer and able to play the whole back catalogue. Everything isn't perfect, well, that depends on what you like, sure, but it isn't identical to his predecessors. But that is as expected. All in all he plays most songs really well.

I think very few of those that constantly hate on him do it because they really dislike his drumming that much. I think it is more a symptom of bitterness over the situation. Such fans will always find someone to lash out at. Now it is Frank. Before that it was Chris. Before that it was Dj. Before that it was Bumblefoot or Robin, plus Chris. You can't really take it seriously.

11 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It does kind of suck.. Doesn't look, feel or sound like Gn'R to me really..

You know what? That was exactly what I felt in 1991 when UYIs were released. This wasn't the band I loved! The production was different, the drummer had a different feel, the songs were disjointed, new instruments, new styles! Then I just accepted that the band I loved had no intentions of staying still. They released one fantastic record. Cool! I stopped complaining back in 1991. Why are you still complaining?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Me too. Brain was, objectively speaking, probably the most talented drummer the band ever had. However, I always felt his style and feel was totally wrong for the songs. People bitch about Frank changing fills but did everybody forget about Brain? His YCBM was terrible, his Brownstone intro was the same as Frank played it (I realize Frank plays it correctly now), and he had fills all over the place. Listen to November Rain from RIR 2006 or Rock Am Ring. It's even further removed from the original than Frank's current approach.

Brain was bored with the simplicity of the GN'R songs (he once told me he ate a whole bowl of spaghetti once when playing November Rain). Instead of trying to duplicate the exact feel of Steven and Matt, he instead opted for making it a bit more fun for him by putting his spin on the songs, like added fills and somewhat different beats.

Personally, I think great musicians should be allowed to do that. They can't' just parrot others. We might not like their versions, especially when they mess with our favourite music. Maybe we are not even able to rationally judge the changes they make because any change is wrong no matter what they are. It is a case of having put the songs on pedestals. But in a way it is also cool to hear new versions and one shouldn't stifle creativity.