Frank Ferrer: How I nailed the Guns N' Roses gig

Axl considers Frank a loyal member? Well, great! But it doesn't make ANY sense not having Matt in the reunion. He's in an excellent shape, great musician, great pal of Duff and Slash, he has been playing around the world for the last decades, etc.. It's pretty fair that Richard's taking Izzy's spot, once we all know Stradlin's preferences. But, the only reason that Matt (or even Steven) didn't come back, is that Frank is a loyal member and did not leave the band (as Ashba, Stinson and Bumblefoot)? C'mon, Axl!!!

• Like 1

I think Frank and Richard suck in the context of Guns N Roses but having Slash and Duff back is so awesome I can't bring myself to be too bumbed out.

Just clarifying, I think Fortus and Frank are great at what they do but what they do isn't Guns N Roses, despite what the resume may say.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'm totally with you up til the very last thing in your post. I felt the EXACT same way when UYI came out. I was like "Wait a minute. This isn't THE Guns N' Roses that I love", but then I saw a couple shows between 91 & 93 and got over it. 

The only thing I agree with you on is the "complaints" (...complaints, complaints) part. Even though I'm down with the current line up, I can totally see how @Tom-Ass and others aren't especially with respect to Frank. I really don't think we have anyone here who complains just to complain. I think most people honestly have an issue with how Frank plays the songs. There's no arguing that he does play them far different than the originals, so it's not a surprise that it wouldn't fit some people's tastes.

The classic Guns sound is loved and is iconic. I understand that every musician brings their own flavor to it, their own style and the truly great ones bring an element or elements you can't get anywhere else.

Kinda like new coke. Even if new coke was just as good, it would never be classic coke. But a band is not just a band. It's made up of people that put their time into the band and worked hard. Frank has done a lot of shows with Guns and was a part of Chinese like it or not.

The timing just seems weird to me. Like where were all the complaints about Frank before Slash and Duff came back? it wasn't like it is now at all. What's changed? sometimes when you get something you've wanted for a long time, you want more. All of it. The original 5.

If Frank left with DJ, maybe some people will be complaining about Richard Fortus just as much as Frank. Some people never really liked Frank's style, but some people are more upset now even though nothing has changed except Slash and Duff.

We had fuckin' DJ Ashba in Guns. Why is Frank getting all this shit now and not in 2010 for example? it's almost as if he's auditioning again just cause Steven and Sorum are available so why Frank when you can get the real thing or it's original replacement? so what if Axl might actually want Frank in the band and must have liked his style if he wanted him in Guns in the first place. He hired him and Frank did his job. Why would he fire his ass just cause 2 to 3 people are upset? ridiculous.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, jpduff said:

Axl considers Frank a loyal member? Well, great! But it doesn't make ANY sense not having Matt in the reunion. He's in an excellent shape, great musician, great pal of Duff and Slash

Why does this statement constantly pop up when even Duff (most easy-going and nice dude that there is) has said that Matt is difficult to get along with and that he actively had to work on not feeling resentment towards him? And Slash allegedly even said he hates Sorum.

Sorum is a douche and has way too big of an ego for a drummer. Especially for a band that already has two giant egos trying to get along...

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Personally, I think great musicians should be allowed to do that. They can't' just parrot others. We might not like their versions, especially when they mess with our favourite music. Maybe we are not even able to rationally judge the changes they make because any change is wrong no matter what they are. It is a case of having put the songs on pedestals. But in a way it is also cool to hear new versions and one shouldn't stifle creativity.

Personally I think that great musicians should respect such CLASSICS as fucking November Rain. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

Frank played on 5 Chinese tunes I think. He's in Guns for 10 years now. Axl is not gonna kick him out cause Fitz is a perfect choice in your opinion.

The only song which frank re re recorded from beginning to the end was the title track.

In other songs he just re re recorded bits and pieces over the stuff which Brain re recorded, most of them were originally recorded by Josh Freese.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I can totally see how @Tom-Ass and others aren't especially with respect to Frank. I really don't think we have anyone here who complains just to complain. I think most people honestly have an issue with how Frank plays the songs. There's no arguing that he does play them far different than the originals, so it's not a surprise that it wouldn't fit some people's tastes.

That's really nice of you to say especially when I know your love for Frank lol

I guess everyone has their different opinions and taste in music

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

The only song which frank re re recorded from beginning to the end was the title track.

In other songs he just re re recorded bits and pieces over the stuff which Brain re recorded, most of them were originally recorded by Josh Freese.

Yeah. Slash and Duff are going to do the same with Robins, Bucketheads, Bumblefoots, DJ Ashba's and Tommy's parts now. If the rumors are true.

Edited by Sosso

6 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Brain didn't write any drum parts. Josh came up with all of those. Frank still played on important parts, even the small ones added something. Like Frank's I.R.S drum fill at the end of Bucket's outro.

It's meaningful. Like I said, Frank played on 5 songs which is pretty good considering how late he joined the band, right before the album was released.

I guess it was just a taste, but if Axl ever manages to release another Guns album, Frank will probably bring you a full album with his drumming to enjoy. It's like Fortus, he came too late to the party to be a major part of Chinese 1, but that doesn't mean it's nothing or he won't do more in the future. One thing for certain: he earned his place in the band imo. Nothing is stopping Axl from letting Steven be a part of the live shows or a future album. Axl doesn't seem to have any problem using 2 drummers even on the same song. (Better)

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Sosso said:

Yeah. Slash and Duff are going to do the same with Robins, Bucketheads, Bumblefoots and DJ Ashba's part now. If the rumors are true.

It would be pretty unfair to the rest, like they worked pretty hard in the studio.

It will be better to compose new songs with Slash and Duff and other songs by robin, bucket etc etc should be released under a different name.

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

It would be pretty unfair to the rest, like they worked pretty hard in the studio.

It will be better to compose new songs with Slash and Duff and other songs by robin, bucket etc etc should be released under a different name.

Why not a hybrid version of these songs? Slash & Buckethead on the same track would be really interesting.

9 hours ago, scooby845 said:

well isn't that the point? if there were no those things we wouldn't be complaining...

No I know, I'm just saying it's funny how the things people complain about are the things that he attributes to how he landed the gig. 

It was like he's read the forum and youtube comments and just wanted to egg people on more. 

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Brain didn't write any drum parts. Josh came up with all of those. Frank still played on important parts, even the small ones added something. Like Frank's I.R.S drum fill at the end of Bucket's outro.

It's meaningful. Like I said, Frank played on 5 songs which is pretty good considering how late he joined the band, right before the album was released.

I guess it was just a taste, but if Axl ever manages to release another Guns album, Frank will probably bring you a full album with his drumming to enjoy. It's like Fortus, he came too late to the party to be a major part of Chinese 1, but that doesn't mean it's nothing or he won't do more in the future. One thing for certain: he earned his place in the band imo. Nothing is stopping Axl from letting Steven be a part of the live shows or a future album. Axl doesn't seem to have any problem using 2 drummers even on the same song. (Better)

Why its always Axl Axl Axl for you? If Duff and Slash wanted Matt then he would have been there.

Im not on anyone's side, but as a fan Im just saying that Steven should have been there and Frank just doesn't fits.

Like that Axl had Pitman since so many years, what the hell did he even do?

1 minute ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

No matter what Frank does he will still get hate, he's just in a bad situation.

The majority of the fans want Matt or Steven in the band and take it out on Frank...people seem to not care as much about Izzy/Fortus

He's in the way. In the way of Adler coming back to Guns. That's what some want and it's just bitter and comes off as whiny.

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

He was very important for CD. He contributed Keyboards, Synthesizer, Sub bass, synth orchestra, mellotron, string machine, 12-string guitar. 

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

He was very important for CD. He contributed Keyboards, Synthesizer, Sub bass, synth orchestra, mellotron, string machine, 12-string guitar. 

You forgot another thing.

TOWELS

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Why its always Axl Axl Axl for you? If Duff and Slash wanted Matt then he would have been there.

Im not on anyone's side, but as a fan Im just saying that Steven should have been there and Frank just doesn't fits.

He wrote If The World and helped Axl with Madagascar. Making that song a reality. He also did a whole bunch on Chinese. It's just that you don't like it and many others it seems.

It's not always Axl, Axl, Axl. It's just my opinion. It's real, I promise. Every fan got his or her favorites. That doesn't mean I'm not objective.

Edited by Rovim

55 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

No matter what Frank does he will still get hate, he's just in a bad situation.

The majority of the fans want Matt or Steven in the band and take it out on Frank...people seem to not care as much about Izzy/Fortus

Half the people probably think Fortus is Izzy...

The reasons people didn't complain about Frank before the "reunion" is because he was playing with fake GNR and nobody really gave a shit. These forums were also comprised of Axl worshipping nutswingers who never saw anything wrong with what Axl did. 

One of the main reasons why GNR fans were excited about the reunion(besides the fact that boys were getting back together), was that we wanted to hear these songs played correctly in a live setting again. Unfortunately, Frank has fucked that up for most of us. Not only that, but the jackass has added insult to injury by saying that he wants to make the songs his own. I don't know how much money Duff and Slash are being paid to put up with this, but if I were them I would tell this guy that these are their songs and that he should know his place. This fake member has no right to reinterpret these songs. Not only doesn it sound like crap, but it is so disrespectful. But I guess there is nothing that can be done considering that the boss of the band enjoys and llkes CD songs better than any of his big hits. He wants to Chinese Democracize AFD and Illusions with these fake members.

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

I really can't hear how he is that bad. Go back and listening to early era GNR gigs objectively. There's playing loose, then playing sloppy, then playing like a man on too much heroin. 

that's called recklessness my friend... this is called ineptitude my friend...

• Like 1