Best Record Stores in your town?

The Real McCoy

We don't really have much in the way of record stores here in the State College, PA area, but there's a great little store in the town that I live in that's more of a vintage / retro shop, but they do have a whole room full of vinyl and CD's. The CD's are dirt cheap (loose CD's w/out cases and/or artwork are .50 cents each, and CD's with cases are mostly between $2 and $5.) They don't have a GREAT selection, but I usually almost always find something cool there, even if it's just a few loose CDs to keep in my car. The owner is always buying new stuff, so the stock is usually fresh, and he tends to give me the first crack at new stuff that arrives.

I also LOVE McKay's in Nashville, and I always make it a point to go in there and stock up when I'm in town.

Yours?

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 1

Steel Wheels, Newcastle, is always good although I've not been there in years. It has moved a few times over the years but has picked up numerous national awards over the years. If you glance at their website you will see they have a good autograph collection, http://www.steel-wheels.co.uk/

I remember they used to have Live Like A Suicide for about £70 - one of my regrets not buying it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

We don't really have much in the way of record stores here in the State College, PA area, but there's a great little store in the town that I live in that's more of a vintage / retro shop, but they do have a whole room full of vinyl and CD's. The CD's are dirt cheap (loose CD's w/out cases and/or artwork are .50 cents each, and CD's with cases are mostly between $2 and $5.) They don't have a GREAT selection, but I usually almost always find something cool there, even if it's just a few loose CDs to keep in my car. The owner is always buying new stuff, so the stock is usually fresh, and he tends to give me the first crack at new stuff that arrives.

I also LOVE McKay's in Nashville, and I always make it a point to go in there and stock up when I'm in town.

Yours?

the only one in my city that's worthwhile is called Recycled Records and it's an institution here! along with being a fun place w/lots of excellent vinyl their commercials are hilarious and at the end they sing "Recycled Records doesn't suckkkkk!" then a guy doing a very cheesy Elvis impersonation says " Thank yew vurrry much" :P

• Like 1

I live out in the sticks about an hour west of Boston but there is a decent small Vinyl store in Worcester, MA called  Joe's Albums....the owner Joe is a great guy and is very picky on the albums he buys so everyone I have bought was in great shape and the prices were very reasonable. Everything is in alphabetical order and Joe knows everything he has in the store.

https://www.joesalbums.com/

I have not hit this place yet but Deja Vu Records Inc. in Natick MA. is supposed to be a great place to search for used vinyl....Friends who go there all the time told me the owner buys from estate and garage sales so the inventory is always turning over. The prices are supposed to be excellent as the owner, an old Greek woman, just eyeballs your stack of record and comes up with a price usually a few dollars an LP. The downside is nothing is organized or graded, as it is just boxes of LP's stacked all over, and from what I heard you won't find stuff from popular bands like the Stones or Zeppelin but can find great deals on less popular artists...You may get some beat up albums but the prices are so low it is worth the risk......Her store hours are erratic so you have to call ahead to make sure the store is open...........

http://www.dejavurecords.net/

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Plato. Love this store. Great personele and they can get nearly anything I want. 

7567195350_2ac149c7d4_z.jpg 

Plato%20Groningen.jpg 

Oh the sweet sweet memories of standing in line for concert tickets.... Fuck Ticketmaster. 

1483842_759861447377160_1815374175_o.jpg 

Hemmes is a close second. Especially for vinyl. 

Groningen_Steentilstraat_10.jpg

913x304q=90_jongens_van_hemmes_groningen 

For a city of only 200.000, Groningen really has a big music scene and as a result great long-standing record stores. I love it. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Any of these shops in Amsterdam as my wife goes there every month on business....................

Plato also has a store in Amsterdam under the name Concerto. 

This is the address:
CONCERTO
Utrechtsestraat 52 - 60
1017VP Amsterdam 

http://www.platomania.eu/concerto-plato-winkels

I've never been to that one though. So I don't know if it's as good/big. I expect it to be though. 

Hemmes is an independent local store. So she (or you) would have to go to Groningen for that one. It's 2 hours from Amsterdam. 2,5 if you take the train. 

Edited by username

Deaf Ear Records in La Crosse Wisconsin has everything new and used. Cassette tapes, vinyl, 4o inch, CDs, 8 track. They have consignments for local/regional musicians/bands. They also carry toys (collectible toys such as vintage Star Wars figures), comic books (new and used), Magic The Gathering cards (boosters and singles) and various other pop culture items. They also have a smoke shop on the 2nd floor with pipes, tobacco and hookahs. Great store if you are in Wisconsin!

• Like 1

Before I moved up Boston way I lived in Bethel, CT for many years and Gerosa Records is a great pace for vinyl lovers.....it is owned by a couple of brothers and has a nice selection of vintage vinyl...............Used to go there weekly for used CD's and an occasional bootleg after I put my tunrtble in mothballs during the CD revolution but they had a nice selection of vinyl as well. My Bro still lives in Betherl so I will have to check the place out agin next visit

http://gerosarecords.com/