NME: Aaliyah is more influential than The Beatles, The Stones, Michael Jackson, Prince, James Brown and Stevie Wonder.

Towelie

7 hours ago, Gackt said:

qinterview07_2-150x139.jpg

I guess I meant right now. But Oasis are like The Stones. Blur are The Beatles. But these guys are the 90s. 

Fall Out Boys, My Chemical Romance er I don't know any more. But looking broading at bands right now there is an 80s pop meets 90s alt image. Which side steps rock image wise although I see similar niches occupied. 

Edited by wasted
Ei9hties

3 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I was wrong about Kurt Cobain being the last great song writer. Richey Edwards and Nicky Wire from Manic Street Preachers kept it going until 1995 when Edwards disappeared, then Wire keeps writing good songs until recently. 

Wouldn't you say James puts the music together more? But lyrically Edwards Wire are pretty interesting. 

5 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Where was the Robert Johnson of Zeppelins generation?  Where was The Stooges of Soundgardens generation?  Do you see a pattern here?

Daniel Johnston and Husker Du?

Edited by wasted
Hail

Just now, Len B'stard said:

Where was the Robert Johnson of Zeppelins generation?  Where was The Stooges of Soundgardens generation?  Do you see a pattern here?

Nope. I see your point, that people of a certain  age tend to criticize  modern music as being shitty, but in my opinion, modern music is shitty. Vampire  Weekend, Kayne  West, Beyonce, etc. are just plain bad recording artists. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Yeah, Foo Fighters are decent. Not too many songs are memorable. Lennon/McCartney, Glimmer Twins, Dylan, Springsteen and others have written great stuff that anything that comes after doesn't seem as inspiring. The last great rock song writer was Kurt Cobain, but he also helped ruin a generation of rock artists. 

Country is the new rock now. God help us.

I think you've gotta put Josh Homme's name in the ring, well he creams Grohl anyway just ask Dave. His work from 1992 to 2002 with Kyuss and QOTSA is basically unfuckwithable, he's been abit hit and miss since then though. I also like he brought back some swagger, sexiness and a dash of violence that Cobain kinda sucked out of rock. Very influential as well, Kyuss are considered the fathers of Stoner rock and Queens obviously have a more mainstream influence.

Edited by Silverburst80

4 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I think you've gotta put Josh Homme's name in the ring, well he creams Grohl anyway just ask Dave. His work from 1992 to 2002 with Kyuss and QOTSA is basically unfuckwithable, he's been abit hit and miss since then though. I also like he brought back some swagger, sexiness and a dash of violence that Cobain kinda sucked out of rock. Very influential as well, Kyuss are considered the fathers of Stoner rock and Queens obviously have a more mainstream influence.

The birth of stoner rock began way before the 90's. That's simply when bands began to get labeled as stoner rock. And still, you had huge bands like Monster Magnet and Sleep at the time. I'd say Kyuss are the fathers of Desert rock, while Monster Magnet, Space Rock and Sleep, Stoner Doom.

2 hours ago, Cosmo said:

The birth of stoner rock began way before the 90's. That's simply when bands began to get labeled as stoner rock. And still, you had huge bands like Monster Magnet and Sleep at the time. I'd say Kyuss are the fathers of Desert rock, while Monster Magnet, Space Rock and Sleep, Stoner Doom.

Stoner Rock certainly isn't the name i'd give them it's the label they've been given they are just Kyuss to me, every article you ever read on them though they are labelled the "fathers" or "godfathers" of the stoner genre. I don't even think it was label till the late nineties years after they disbanded.

12 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

Nope. I see your point, that people of a certain  age tend to criticize  modern music as being shitty, but in my opinion, modern music is shitty. Vampire  Weekend, Kayne  West, Beyonce, etc. are just plain bad recording artists. 

I couldnt agree with you more, although Beyonces alright...but someones buying em sooo...

The way i see it is this, i grew up in the 90s right, back then i thought everything was shit.  I mean l loved a lot of what was around and was deeply entrenched in it, particularly the hip hop but at the same time i was forever harking back go the past like an old cunt, despite being a teenager.  And lo and behold, 20 years later everyones going '90s was the fucking age of hip hop man, it was the fuckin' hardcore!' and looking back i agree with that.  

And maybe its that for this generation, maybe this is the golden age for 'x' and its just that i dont know what 'x' is cuz it aint my day anymore.

And broadly speaking i dont give a fuck either, I'm happy listening to what i listen to (all of which is fuckin' aincent).  I'm very much the same as you though, i look at whats around today and it aint saying shit to me...but the old Grandads in my day were saying that when i was listening to fuckin' Wu Tang and 2Pac and Big L and all that game :lol:.  Maybe its time for my generation to break out the sipping liquor and look for a comfy spot on the porch.

• Like 1