NME: Aaliyah is more influential than The Beatles, The Stones, Michael Jackson, Prince, James Brown and Stevie Wonder.

Towelie

15 minutes ago, toroymoi said:

In JB's music? I don't really hear MJ in Justin's sound, I hear a watered-down version of Usher/JT who in turn were inspired by MJ. Like I said before, you could keep tracing it back to who was influenced by who, but then that'll just leave you with the same list over and over again.

Justin's more recent music is also EDM-inspired.

I guess we part paths here cuz i hear all MJ out of Justin.

14 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I know, right?

I'd've taken it up the Harris for that, I'd've done a lot worse for a lot less when I was 12 years old! :lol:

He'd've probably done better to just advertise it that way eh, he'd've got just as many takers i shouldn't wonder :lol:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I guess we part paths here cuz i hear all MJ out of Justin.

Yeah, I honestly don't know how you're hearing that. At least not "all", maybe a tiny bit due to the Usher/JT-lite sound.

Justin also sounds like a Chris Brown wannabe, as sad as that is.

Seriously, fuck Radiohead. They haven't had a good album since OK Computer. Being weird and artsy doesn't make you a great band. They haven't done anything The Beach Boys and The Beatles haven't already done. Or The Rolling Stones with Brian Jones. 

I concur with Len that Robert Johnson should top any "most influential" list, since his music has found its away in many great songs. Did Radiohead inspire people to make more music that I find shitty? Sure. But that should let them be at the top. Save that for Johnson, Presley, Holly or Lennon/McCartney. Or Hank Williams for the country lovers out there.

• Like 1

Are there bands in the mold of The Stones, Beatles, GNR right now. I guess Jack White/BRMC is kind of derived from early Stones? Avenged Seven could come from Metallica, ACDC. Strokes have a Stones element to them. There's a lineage from Flyod to Radiohead. 

On 26 June 2016 at 4:05 AM, Georgy Zhukov said:

Seriously, fuck Radiohead. They haven't had a good album since OK Computer. Being weird and artsy doesn't make you a great band. They haven't done anything The Beach Boys and The Beatles haven't already done. Or The Rolling Stones with Brian Jones. 

I concur with Len that Robert Johnson should top any "most influential" list, since his music has found its away in many great songs. Did Radiohead inspire people to make more music that I find shitty? Sure. But that should let them be at the top. Save that for Johnson, Presley, Holly or Lennon/McCartney. Or Hank Williams for the country lovers out there.

But at a point the shit becomes too remote for an association.  I mean Robert Johnson was like 1920s/30s, alls you end up doing is intellectualising popular music and making it far removed from anything kids give a toss about.  It's like how many Kings of rock n roll are there, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Ike Turner...and then you have to go back into the blues and like...we're living in 2016, you have to cut it off somewhere around the point of where the Dads of the kids of today were listening to that shit, stuff like The Beatles, it ain't even Dad rock, is grandad and great grandad rock, the musical relevance to rock n roll to contemporary forms of music has been stretched and stretched to the point where you just can't rinse an association to contemporary music and make it relevant anymore.  I mean what was the last truly seismic rock n roll band, what, The Sex Pistols maybe?  I'm 33, my old man was 19 years old when The Sex Pistols hit the scene, you simply cannot make that stuff mean anything to kids today (not saying The Sex Pistols don't have a contemporary appeal, just that it is music thats understood within a certain context, kinda like The Stones touring today)  And Robert Johnson, Christ Almighty, you're getting into ancestry with that.  No one loves old music more than me but thats me and what i like, i ain't gonna sit there and lecture some kid today about how Robert Johnson is the roots of hip hop, in a very very convoluted way i could probably pull an association out too but it amounts to lecturing kids about history...and what kid wants to hear that shit, i mean when you get into music as a lad you don't get into it cuz you fancy doing after hours school work, you get into it cuz it's supposed to be a laugh and supposed to be cool.

These are contemporary lists on contemporary publications aimed at kids that are supposed to stimulate discussion amongst youth about music they're interested in, not Smithsomian encyclopedias.  They're not history books, they're meant to hold some sort of meaning for the kids reading em.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2016 at 8:06 AM, Len B'stard said:

Or a major music publication with a certain degree of authority made a shitty list and published it.

I don't care what kind of "authority" NME  is supposed  to have. No one will ever convince  me that that Vampire  Weekend  and Kayne West are any  good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

I don't care what kind of "authority" NME  is supposed  to have. No one will ever convince  me that that Vampire  Weekend  and Kayne West are any  good.

That word authority seems to pole axe everyone that reads that post :lol:  Apparently the phrase 'shitty list' was too vague of me.

31 minutes ago, Gackt said:

qinterview07_2-150x139.jpg

Yeah, Foo Fighters are decent. Not too many songs are memorable. Lennon/McCartney, Glimmer Twins, Dylan, Springsteen and others have written great stuff that anything that comes after doesn't seem as inspiring. The last great rock song writer was Kurt Cobain, but he also helped ruin a generation of rock artists. 

Country is the new rock now. God help us.

It is rather sad to see how Sabbath affiliated themselves with the 'metal genre' as they were essentially a highly original quartet who mixed blue, jazz, Beatles and Cream with Hammer Horror. They didn't know what the heck they were doing but it was original what they were doing. And then suddenly American '80s and '90s metal wankers went, ''yes, you influenced'', and they decided they were metal all along.

The early Ozzy albums have this experimental quality, borne from the '60s and the bluesmiths with big Lennon melodies. They are actually good albums, not like most spotty metal wank.

1 hour ago, RichardNixon said:

I'm getting old, but for me, the 90's was rocks last Gooden age. Where is the Hendrix, Soundgarden, Zeppelin  of the 21st century.

Where was the Robert Johnson of Zeppelins generation?  Where was The Stooges of Soundgardens generation?  Do you see a pattern here?

Edited by Len B'stard

2 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

I'm getting old, but for me, the 90's was rocks last Gooden age. Where is the Hendrix, Soundgarden, Zeppelin  of the 21st century.

I agree with you. 

But how do you judge that in today's social media society?

Album sales?

Billboard hits?

Youtube views?

Concert revenue?

There are bands and artists out there that dominate those categories. And have for years.

But all the old timers on here would scoff at any name I threw out. And people like to show how edgy and "smarter than you" they are by hating on anything popular. 

Is it possible for there to be a Zeppelin or Hendrix today? Social media and the Internet allow people to hate anything that is popular. Because those damn kids just don't know good music. 

Legendary artists generally get their background from the younger generation. So finding a band that the young people love AND the old timers love.....that's a very hard task. 

Tl/dr. So how do we judge if another band is the next Stones? 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is rather sad to see how Sabbath affiliated themselves with the 'metal genre' as they were essentially a highly original quartet who mixed blue, jazz, Beatles and Cream with Hammer Horror. They didn't know what the heck they were doing but it was original what they were doing. And then suddenly American '80s and '90s metal wankers went, ''yes, you influenced'', and they decided they were metal all along.

The early Ozzy albums have this experimental quality, borne from the '60s and the bluesmiths with big Lennon melodies. They are actually good albums, not like most spotty metal wank.

That's because Ozzy picked excellent bandmates. A powerful rhythm section of Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake and the great Randy Rhoads on guitar. And of course Don Airey played the keyboards. Rhoads was the centerpiece though. After his untimely death the quality of Ozzy's music went south. Everyone considers No More Tears as his comeback album, but the artsy prog sections brought it down. He will never make anything as great as Blizzard of Ozz or Diary of a Madman again. 

The 80's did see a return of good old Blues Rock with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble but his death in 1990 brought it to an end. 1991 seems to be the year where rock and roll started to wind down. There were some good acts that followed, but the era of hip hop, boy bands and whatever crap they call it nowadays had started. Its biggest rival now? Country music.