New RHCP Album- The Getaway

Jakey Styley

3 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

^I love Detroit, hate the lyrics though. "Don't you worry baby, I'm like, Detroit I'm crazy, I'm like Detroit, I'm crazy.." That's Kiedis's lyrics for you.

Josh's singing in the opening of Dreams of a Samurai is beautiful.

The lyrics are REALLY cringeworthy lol

"Henry won the war you see
But not with pen or sword
He did it with the little thing I think it's called a Ford"

Fuckkkk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

One minute I enjoy the album and the next I'm not sure about it.

Does anybody else think the album is too long?

Goodbye Angels and Go Robot are stand out tracks for me at the moment.

Yeah I think they shoulda cut tracks 10 and 12 to make it a "tighter" release.

Finally got a chance to listen to this yesterday. Obviously I need to play it back a few more times but first impressions were definitely positive. I didn't listen to We Turn Red before the album came out and I really like that one. Love Goodbye Angels, especially the outro.

Best surprise for me on the album was Encore. I've listened to the recording of their set at Bonnaroo 2012 dozens of times as it was the only time I've ever seen them, and the very ending of the Give It Away jam is the main bass/guitar riff from that song. It was such a great feeling to out of the blue hear a studio version of a live jam I had loved for years.

• Like 2

Those numbers are pretty solid. Radiohead just did 30K. But expect a significant drop, maybe 70%, normal these days.

Since four five years. Black Sabbath was #1 with the same numbers in 2013. I think last month the number one album sold like 60K. It's just matter of which week and which artists, there's no saturation now. Only people like Drake or Swift can reach 600K in one week because of streaming.

Edited by Silent Jay

5 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Those numbers are pretty solid. Radiohead just did 30K. But expect a significant drop, maybe 70%, normal these days.

Since four five years. Black Sabbath was #1 with the same numbers in 2013. I think last month the number one album sold like 60K. It's just matter of which week and which artists, there's no saturation now. Only people like Drake or Swift can reach 600K in one week because of streaming.

And Adele :D 

Yeah, I've been checking other rock artists first week sales this and past year. Really really low numbers

Now that I've gotten around to hearing every RHCP record, this is how I rank them:

Blood Sugar Sex Magik

By the Way (wow this album is amazing, I can't believe I didnt like it at first)

Californication 

Stadium Arcadium

Mother's Milk

The Getaway

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan (not as good as I initially thought)

One Hot Minute

Freaky Styley 

The Red Hot Chili Peppers (wtf?)

Im With You (eww)

Edited by rocknroll41

Liked it from the first listen... it's a very laid back album, piano inspired songs. Usually RHCP albums have a lot of filler but I really only don't care much for the first song on it, the rest is pretty strong. If you're into the old funk or rock version of the Chili Peppers you might be disappointed. Even though it has some funk and rock on it too obviousy. I liked their previous album with Josh too, it was more subtle and I like that they are still evolving as a band instead of doing the same thing over and over. Josh is not the ''guitar hero'' that John Frusciante was, he plays more subtle things and even though I loved Frusciante, I like this approach too... it fits the songs for sure. 

So I'm still really digging this album after a few weeks of listening.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, not that impressed with this new album tbh. There seems to be a trend when every new RHCP record drops everyone slags off the previous one, but I always dug IWY. To me, Monarchy of Roses alone is stronger than anything from The Getaway.

Only listened to it twice through so far, so it's still early days, but I much prefer IWY and I don't see that changing.

Edited by Towelie

16 hours ago, Towelie said:

Hmmm, not that impressed with this new album tbh. There seems to be a trend when every new RHCP record drops everyone slags off the previous one, but I always dug IWY. To me, Monarchy of Roses alone is stronger than anything from The Getaway.

Only listened to it twice through so far, so it's still early days, but I much prefer IWY and I don't see that changing.

I love IWY honestly, I'm surprised to see so much hate for it. For me, it stands in the same league as the rest of their catalogue.