New RHCP Album- The Getaway

Jakey Styley

The album leaked last night and is pretty easy to find on all the normal websites you'd typically check. I know we have that other thread going about the singles but I thought the album deserved its' own dedicated thread.

My first playthrough was a real bummer. The first three tracks are the three tracks that we have heard already, so by the time you're at track 4, you're a bit bored and not as into it. As a result, I ended up initially thinking tracks 4 and 5 sucked, but when I went back and listened to them individually I thought they were pretty good. To anyone who has heard the first 3 tracks already, I would suggest just starting with 4.

Anyway, I need more time to absorb the album. So far I'm not very impressed. I see many saying it's better than IWY but I find it hard to agree, though I loved IWY.  The whole album sorta sounds like Stadium Arcadium B-Sides. There's less funk and less in your face guitar on this album. Josh kinda disappointed me. He proved on the last album and in his live jams that he is capable of some impressive guitar work, and I expected him to really flourish on his second album with the band. That doesn't happen.  I only remember a couple solos. His backing vocals are also less frequent and less prominent in the mix.

That being said, I'm looking forward to delving more into the album. I like Sick Love a lot. What do you guys think of the album?

Haven't heard the leak. Will check it out when it's released though, as I really liked I'm With You and felt it was very underrated.

I did hear the first single they put online, name escapes me now, but it sounded a bit "more-of-the-same-ol-same-ol", but I didn't give it more than two listens at the time so will revisit it when I get the album.

Edited by Towelie

Giving it a listen. So far, Go Robot and Dark Necessities are the best ones. 

Couple of fillers in the middle, but a really good ending with Encore, The Hunter and Dreams of a Samurai.

Edited by Cosmo

I love it a lot. It's everything I thought I'm With You was going to be. I would rank it on par with Californication, By The Way and Stadium Arcadium (they change their position on my "list")

Last minute and a half of Goodbye Angels is the best thing they done since 2002 or so :lol: Other favorites Go Robot, Encore, This Ticonderoga and Dark Necessities 

7 hours ago, Gackt said:

Well that's pretty generic piano bridge. I think that's used in some way in 10 other songs :D 

10 hours ago, marlon_brando said:

Pretty generic. As usual. Still better than that crap they released in 2011.

Generic? There are like 5 total minutes on this album that sounds generic

Interesting album. Only one listen so far, but it has some really cool songs. It suffers a problem with the lack of some uptempo numbers to mix up the flow of the album. It's not all slow to mid-tempo songs, but it could use a bit of a shot here and there.

8 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Interesting album. Only one listen so far, but it has some really cool songs. It suffers a problem with the lack of some uptempo numbers to mix up the flow of the album. It's not all slow to mid-tempo songs, but it could use a bit of a shot here and there.

Yeah, one more Go Robotesque track would be really good to spice it up :D 

Ok well since they released the first 3 songs weeks in advance, I've had time to let those grow on me. So I already loved them by the time I started listening to the full album

The Longest Wave is alright. Goodbye Angels didn't really grab me until the solo at the end.

I think Sick Love, Go Robot, Feasting on the Flowers, and Detroit are all great! Tho I wish the album version of Go Robot had the extended heavy guitar solo like the live version does. I love the Elton John writing-style influence on Sick Love and his piano mixes well with the rest of the song.

Not a fan of This Ticonderoga, because it feels like two songs mashed together, tho the "heavy" side of the song would probably be pretty good if it were just its own separate song.

I think the bass guitar riff in Encore is fantastic, but the rest of the song feels like its missing a little something for some reason.

Didn't like The Hunter, but Dreams of a Samurai was alright.

Overall, this is a MUCH better record than I'm With You was and certainly better than a lot of the crap records that come out from other artists these days, but still doesn't quite reach the calibre of the Frusciante-era stuff. I do love the warm production tho and "mature" piano influence. I think it was the right direction for the band to go in at this point. Final score for me is a 4/5

Edited by rocknroll41

57 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Album is definitely growing on me. Detroit, Go Robot, and Ticonderoga were in my head all day.

Go Robot has been in my head all day too. I heard the label wanted that one to originally be the lead single but then Danger Mouse convinced them to go with Dark Necessities instead. I'm glad they went that route, but I do think that they should atart pushing Go Robot now that the record is out.

Apart from the first 3 songs, album is pretty boring

There are some good guitars there (definitely tops i'm With You), but the songs just not flow like they used too on RHCP albums when even the fillers had some good moments...

Dreams of a Samurai is an interesting "jam" shows great musicianship

Album is definitely growing on me. Detroit, Go Robot, and Ticonderoga were in my head all day.

Yeah, those are the better fillers

They haven't released a good album in 10 years so...

At least Kiedis saved a baby during a stupid youtube show's recordinghttp://loudwire.com/red-hot-chili-peppers-anthony-kiedis-helped-save-babys-life-carpool-karaoke/

Edited by Strange Broue

Put this album in constant repeat since it leaked. Amazing album. Much better than I'm With You. Not as great as Stadium Arcadium, though.

Best songs:

1- Dark Necessities

2- Go Robot

3- Encore

4- The Hunter

5- Sick Love

Still, the only song I skip is Detroit. The rest is all pretty awesome.