New Sid Vicious documentary

Len Cnut

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

What is the fascination with this guy?

The fascination is, for me personally, seeing someone so...thick and silly and vulnerable out there in our culture.  I mean he REALLY didn't have a clue, there's a familiarity to him, he was like...the closest to an actual school kid out there in popular culture.  And trying to be a hard-nut :lol:  He embodied everything that is wrong about kids, obsessed with looks, almost entirely devoid of talent...but just didn't give a fuck.  And not cuz he was cool either, though I'm sure he wanted it to come across that way...more because like, he really didn't have a choice, what is there to do in that position if not not give a fuck?  And he sort of was cool but not according to any typical standards.  And that snotty attitude, everythings bollocks, everythings shite, everyones a twat, that weird nihilism that certain teenagers have and some retain or else have bouts of in their adulthood.  There's something precious about Sid Vicious to me, priceless even, i can't afford to lose sight of it because if i do i feel like I've really lost something of myself, something valuable.

He's not everyones cup of tea, he's not supposed to be and the appeal isn't something i expect to be understood by talented musicians or people with perfect teeth and nice hair or people that drive a Mercedes to work.  He's a reaction to the concept of no future.  He's comic, tragic, cool and appalling all at once.  To me he just reminds me of like...a certain kind of person over here, one of the nobhead kids in school who...i dunno, broke a window, coated their tongue with tip exx cuz to get high, smoked fags cuz they thought it was cool.  Yeah, it's juvenile and silly and all of those things but...it's the reality of where a lot of people are at in their teens to late teens.  

And remember he was just a kid when he died, like REALLY REALLY young...having been in the spotlight since he was 18...and an 18 yr old who really didn't have much of a chance in life, and 18 yr olds then weren't the cool level headed well informed young hipsters that are about today (and thats not a diss)...and most especially poor working class English ones.  He wasn't clever like John Rotten, a lad like Steve Jones and Paul Cook or canny like Glen Matlock, he was just a fool, he's that gullible kid trying to be cool...and i think at a certain point in their lives more people were that kid than would like to admit it.  And he sort of died before he could get old enough to become anything else.  There's a charm in that somewhere, something to it that deserves preserving.

Like have a listen to him there...is he really that offensive or scary or objectionable?  Or does he just sound like a kid on a radio show just like...going for it, for want of a better phrase.  I honestly find it difficult to see how people could hate him, it's more to do with the phoney girl murderer narrative i think.  But like, all the stories of him starting fights, i mean look at him, do you think he'd trouble anyone in a fight? :lol:  He got the shit kicked out of him every time he had a go, he's like the least threatening of all the Pistols...and yet he ended up with the biggest like...cloud over him.  

And despite all of that, i can't help thinking he was a better person than me and you somehow.  Ever had a mate whoose a total nobhead but he's harmless really and he's still your mate?  It's difficult to explain i guess.

The older i get and the more i learn about life the more i think some of my Sid Vicious-esque teenage conclusions about it all were more accurate than I gave them credit for.  At the heart of the punk thing was the observation that 99% of the culture around us is a load of fuckin' bollocks.  Sid embodied that.  Now go switch on the telly, have a look at the news, read the paper, have a look at politics and society...for all his stupidity, how wrong was he (and indeed the entire punk thing) d'ya reckon?  

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 2