John Kalodner thinks that GNR wont release a great album

4 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Zero chance a new Guns record with current lineup doesn't go platinum.  This guy's opinion is absolutely nonsensical and worthless.

Depends on your definition of platinum.....and Kalodner is a smart and well respected record business guy so I would not discount his opinion so readily......

Michael "Elvis" Baskette  has done a great job on World on fire, Slash's sound is really great on that album. he pushed Slash, to get the best guitar playing out of him. He might be the guy for a new guns album, Slash liked his work ethic and approach.

I personally think, they have written so many good songs together, why not now ?? If they get only half of the magic, they created on appetite. Gn'r wil be seen as the savers of rock n' f'n roll !!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Robert39 said:

I personally think, they have written so many good songs together, why not now ??

Because they are over their creative peek as songwriters. I'm not saying people in their 50s can't still write good songs, but nine out of ten times most songwriters wrote their best shit when they were twenty to thirty years younger.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Depends on your definition of platinum.....and Kalodner is a smart and well respected record business guy so I would not discount his opinion so readily......

Industry standard for platinum.  So 1 million sold in US and whatever it is in some other countries.  A new record would sell millions worldwide...even if it didn't have a single hit on it.

These are the same type of "insiders" that discounted the GN'R brand, said a reunion would never work and that a stadium tour would tank.   They've never been more wrong and they would be just as wrong when predicting how well a new Guns record would do.

Edited by Kasanova King

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Industry standard for platinum.  So 1 million sold in US and whatever it is in some other countries.  A new record would sell millions worldwide...even if it didn't have a single hit on it.

These are the same type of "insiders" that discounted the GN'R brand, said a reunion would never work and that a stadium tour would tank.   They've never been more wrong and they would be just as wrong when predicting how well a new Guns record would do.

I respecttfully disagree with both your points.....Take a look at the artists that went platinum in 2016 back in June. Not a single rock band in the list.........

http://www.vibe.com/2016/06/drake-other-artists-who-have-gone-platinum-in-2016-so-far/

Rock music does not sell anymore so assuming GnR can spit out an album which will instantly go platinum may be reaching a little. People like to point to ChiDem's sale numbers but that was back when Rock still sold and Axl had the curiosity factor going for him. There is data out there which shows  ChiDem was not a steady seller and sold the majority of it's units close to the release date after which it faded into obscurity fairly fast. 

Now if the album is the the opposite of ChiDem, and has some catchy songs on it, I could see it initially sell good numbers as there would still be the some of the curiosity factor of Axl and Slash working together again but IMHO it is not a given in the state of music today.

As far as Kalonder is concerned I respect his opinion as it is not jaded by him being a fan. Knowing what I have read about him is he is a no bullshit straight shooter who tells things like they are and does not blow smoke. The man has taken some pretty big risks in his career, like supporting Aerosmith when they were down, when other record industry peoplee wrote them off so IMHO his opinion is pretty solid.

In any case hopefully we get a chance to test that theory and Slash and Duff and coax Axl to take the risk and put out another GnR album of new material written by them, and not ChiDem reworked leftovers, while they can cash in on the tour afterglow...............

10 hours ago, classicrawker said:

He also would put his name on EVERY Aerosmith album as: John Kalodner:John Kalaodner. He also wouldn't let Aerosmith be on The Simpsons unless he was animated in with them 

2 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

He also would put his name on EVERY Aerosmith album as: John Kalodner:John Kalaodner. He also wouldn't let Aerosmith be on The Simpsons unless he was animated in with them 

That may be true but I am not judging him as a person. He may be the biggest dbag in the record industry but that has nothing to do with his knowledge of the industry related to his opinion of GnR ever releasing another successful record..........:shrugs:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, classicrawker said:

I respecttfully disagree with both your points.....Take a look at the artists that went platinum in 2016 back in June. Not a single rock band in the list.........

http://www.vibe.com/2016/06/drake-other-artists-who-have-gone-platinum-in-2016-so-far/

Rock music does not sell anymore so assuming GnR can spit out an album which will instantly go platinum may be reaching a little. People like to point to ChiDem's sale numbers but that was back when Rock still sold and Axl had the curiosity factor going for him. There is data out there which shows  ChiDem was not a steady seller and sold the majority of it's units close to the release date after which it faded into obscurity fairly fast. 

Now if the album is the the opposite of ChiDem, and has some catchy songs on it, I could see it initially sell good numbers as there would still be the some of the curiosity factor of Axl and Slash working together again but IMHO it is not a given in the state of music today.

As far as Kalonder is concerned I respect his opinion as it is not jaded by him being a fan. Knowing what I have read about him is he is a no bullshit straight shooter who tells things like they are and does not blow smoke. The man has taken some pretty big risks in his career, like supporting Aerosmith when they were down, when other record industry peoplee wrote them off so IMHO his opinion is pretty solid.

In any case hopefully we get a chance to test that theory and Slash and Duff and coax Axl to take the risk and put out another GnR album of new material written by them, and not ChiDem reworked leftovers, while they can cash in on the tour afterglow...............

You just don't get it.  Guns N' Roses isn't just a "rock band".  They are right up there with the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, etc....and in the US they would sell even better since they are probably the best (at least one of the best) American rock bands of all time.  A reunion album would sell MILLIONS....not just go platinum.  The people buying the album would be Generation X ers and yes, shelling out $15 for a Guns N' Roses album to an average Generation Xer is cheaper than buying lunch.  Absolutely no brainer and it shouldn't even be debated. :lol:

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

You just don't get it.  Guns N' Roses isn't just a "rock band".  They are right up there with the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, etc....and in the US they would sell even better since they are probably the best (at least one of the best) American rock bands of all time.  A reunion album would sell MILLIONS....not just go platinum.  The people buying the album would be Generation X ers and yes, shelling out $15 for a Guns N' Roses album to an average Generation Xer is cheaper than buying lunch.  Absolutely no brainer and it shouldn't even be debated. :lol:

We will have to agree to disagree mate as I think your fanboy glasses are coloring your opinion........Not meant as an insult as I am a fanboy of Guns as well but I am just trying to be a realist.......:shrugs:

Like I said if the album had a some Appetite type songs they have a shot at Platinum here but if it is ChiDem leftovers warmed up it might sell gold when rleased but then would drop like a rock IMHO.........

And I have news for you based on personal experience many 20 somethings I have had working for me either don't know who Guns is or has no interest as they think they are dinosaurs. Without the younger generation buying Platinum would be a long shot in this day and age..........

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

Good Sales =/= Good album

I don't think GN'R is going to ever release another album. 

If they do, the only way it's interesting is if they gamble and do something new which means no Mike Clink, 80s nostalgia retread, and other shit the die hards are hungry for. 

As far as mixing, the Andy Wallace mix of "Better" was good. Should have went with his mix. It's not rocket science, no need to overthink it. 

A nostalgia retread like Appetite  is the only thing that would sell in decent quantities to the fans who lived through that era. You are kidding yourself if you think another ChiDem type album would sell and Slash is not signing up for anything that strays too far from the basic RnR with the GnR name on it  IMHO so that most likely means no new album if Axl insists on more of the same.......... We do agree in that I don't think we will ever see another original GnR album from Axl and Slash together.......... 

Edited by classicrawker

9 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Yeah, we don't disagree there either, but "the kids" or any serious music critic would likely not give two fucks about it. 

My point was to be seen as relevant in 2016, they have to experiment and re-invent the formula, otherwise they're just like all the other oldies bands. 

I think we are on the same page as IMHO I don't think a Appetitte retread will sell as well as some here think and I also don't see Slash signing up for an album that strays far off of that formula based on his solo offerings

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think an AFD line up album would mobilize the masses. 

How did Hardwired...to self destruct sell?

More than Chinese Democracy, and twice as good as Rock Or Bust. 300K first week.

#1 in 57 countries, top 5 in 105 countries. Doubt GnR can ever top that.

16 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

More than Chinese Democracy, and twice as good as Rock Or Bust. 300K first week.

#1 in 57 countries, top 5 in 105 countries. Doubt GnR can ever top that.

I would say they can but those numbers are so bad. In comparison to the 90s and even worse than 2008 numbers. 

So sales are almost irelevant in comparison. But I see why recompany barely care. But don't nostalgia bands sell better than new acts? 

I think fans will listen and if it's something they want to do why not. It will legitimize more touring at the very least. 

On 17.6.2016 at 2:00 PM, bigpoop said:

They guy who turned Aerosmith into power-ballad merchants.

Really!? I guess he's the last person I would want to see involved with GNR then. :vomit: I think sometimes people mix up the words popular and good. I'm sure that there's a chance that when GNR releases a new song, it might not necessarily become a hit song. But that doesn't meant that it wouldn't be a great song. Justin Bieber makes hit songs. GNR makes great songs and I'm sure their next album will be great even if it doesn't have any hits.

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

I would say they can but those numbers are so bad. In comparison to the 90s and even worse than 2008 numbers. 

So sales are almost irelevant in comparison. But I see why recompany barely care. But don't nostalgia bands sell better than new acts? 

I think fans will listen and if it's something they want to do why not. It will legitimize more touring at the very least. 

I would say those numbers, in the US particularly are very strong. They're outselling Bruno Mars by 100K which we can still have faith in humanity. But on the long run? Probably not, first metal/rock genres is not a massive seller in terms of streaming services (Metallica is still the number 1 metal negasonic streamer), secondo Hardwired will probably have to disappear by January after reaching Platinum. It's not like those records nowadays are reaching multiple platinum over times.

But for a first week in 2016, it's rock solid. In comparison to their last albums:

• Death Magnetic - 490,000K in just three days of availability #1 in 34 countries.
  • St Anger - 420K
  • Reload - 435K
  • Load - 680K
  • Black - 598K

Stay Of Execution by NuGnR in 2014-2016 would have sold 100K-150K probably. Now with Slash and Duff - 300K? More if they can have masterpiece hits. See the singles for Hardwired were kinda shit, but it didn't hurt the fans from buying a complete new 'Tallica album across the world. That's why corporate rock bands will always succeed.

4 hours ago, classicrawker said:

We will have to agree to disagree mate as I think your fanboy glasses are coloring your opinion........Not meant as an insult as I am a fanboy of Guns as well but I am just trying to be a realist.......:shrugs:

Like I said if the album had a some Appetite type songs they have a shot at Platinum here but if it is ChiDem leftovers warmed up it might sell gold when rleased but then would drop like a rock IMHO.........

And I have news for you based on personal experience many 20 somethings I have had working for me either don't know who Guns is or has no interest as they think they are dinosaurs. Without the younger generation buying Platinum would be a long shot in this day and age..........

Uhm.  That's simply not true.  Did you go to any of the shows on the NITLT?

The average age of the people at the shows was easily in the 30's to 40's.  And that's who would buy the album.

Like I said, this isn't even debatable in my book...I'll put my money where my mouth (and any logic) is.

I'd be more than happy to make a friendly wager to a charity of the winners' choice.  Any amount under $1000 I'm ok with.  If GN'R release a new album with Slash & Duff and it doesn't go platinum (1 million sold) in the US within 12 months of release, you win.  If it does, I win.

It would be money in the bank for my charity.

Let me know. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Uhm.  That's simply not true.  Did you go to any of the shows on the NITLT?

The average age of the people at the shows was easily in the 30's to 40's.  And that's who would buy the album.

Like I said, this isn't even debatable in my book...I'll put my money where my mouth (and any logic) is.

I'd be more than happy to make a friendly wager to a charity of the winners' choice.  Any amount under $1000 I'm ok with.  If GN'R release a new album with Slash & Duff and it doesn't go platinum (1 million sold) in the US within 12 months of release, you win.  If it does, I win.

It would be money in the bank for my charity.

Let me know. ?

Lol, sounds like a mister st laurent bet to me mate......:lol:

thanks for the offer kk but I am really not that passionate about the subject to make a wager over it......you and I just have different opinions on the subject... hopefully they will release an album so we can see who is right........

Edited by classicrawker

“Well, you know what? It’s funny, cos like me, Duff and Slash - we could go in and make a Guns N’ Roses record in a week. Basic tracks. [But] vocals and leads [instrumentation] could take God knows how long…”

Izzy Stradlin, 2001, interview to Mick Wall = http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-07/izzy-stradlin-in-too-deep

===

izzy has a point but i am sure that Axl can write vocal melodies and lyrics in a week too (ok, give the guy a month or two to polish it) as long as he is with them on the room

===

all the talk about sales seems absolutely irrelevant to me at this point

what matters to me as gnr lover is new good music from guns n roses

axl, izzy, slash and duff (and hopefully steven) can do it, we all know it and they know it too

• Like 1

9 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Lol, sounds like a mister st laurent bet to me mate......:lol:

thanks for the offer kk but I am really not that passionate about the subject to make a wager over it......you and I just have different opinions on the subject... hopefully they will release an album so we can see who is right........

Alright bud, sounds good.  I think they will come out with something sooner than most people think....so we may know soon enough.