John Kalodner thinks that GNR wont release a great album

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

Alright bud, sounds good.  I think they will come out with something sooner than most people think....so we may know soon enough. 

well if you believe Mick Wall they are working on new material, and not warmed over ChiDem leftovers, so we may both get to test our theories out sooner than later......

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 11:30 AM, wasted said:

who do you think will produce the next GNR album?

And when will they enter the studio? 

I see someone like Rick Rubin being their producer. His a free and easy type of guy who lets the artist do their own thing before chopping down all the recorded tracks to the good songs for the album.

He also seems like a type of guy the band would get along with and respect.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Yeah, we don't disagree there either, but "the kids" or any serious music critic would likely not give two fucks about it. 

My point was to be seen as relevant in 2016, they have to experiment and re-invent the formula, otherwise they're just like all the other oldies bands. 

And IMO they should have capitalized on the buzz they are receiving for the reunion and your. 

Imagine if the week before the regrouping announcement came out ads and billboards started popping up. Maybe a blank album cover that just said "we're back" and then a tiny GnR logo in the corner. Something simple like that. 

Then they dropped a new GnR album - classic lineup - the week after the Troubadour show. 

Just from excitement curiosity that album debuts #1 and quickly goes platinum. 

But the shine is going to wear off if they don't release anything for two years. Look at the concert topics on here. They were 50-60 pages long. Last week I looked and two in a row were like 7 pages. 

Slash and Duff back. Troubadour. Coachella. Fronting AC/DC. Axl's name was everywhere. Perfect time to drop an album. 

Two years from now? Not so much. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vloors said:

I see someone like Rick Rubin being their producer. His a free and easy type of guy who lets the artist do their own thing before chopping down all the recorded tracks to the good songs for the album.

He also seems like a type of guy the band would get along with and respect.

I think Rubin was almost a VR producer at somepoint. I think he's known for stripped down style so it's a good guess, also hands off. 

Mike Clink would also be a safe pair of hands. I like to Clink and Geffen on the back over and a skull image somewhere. 

Kind of smart not to risk killing the buzz of the tour with a record. Wasn't needed so why rush it. 

This way they can base another 2 years touring off a cd release. If they'd done a new record and AFD line up they'd be done by now. 

Hopefully they will still be touring in their 60s. So there's time for one more blockbuster GNR album. Let's not fuck it up. 

12 hours ago, ludurigan said:

“Well, you know what? It’s funny, cos like me, Duff and Slash - we could go in and make a Guns N’ Roses record in a week. Basic tracks. [But] vocals and leads [instrumentation] could take God knows how long…”

Izzy Stradlin, 2001, interview to Mick Wall = http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-07/izzy-stradlin-in-too-deep

===

izzy has a point but i am sure that Axl can write vocal melodies and lyrics in a week too (ok, give the guy a month or two to polish it) as long as he is with them on the room

===

all the talk about sales seems absolutely irrelevant to me at this point

what matters to me as gnr lover is new good music from guns n roses

axl, izzy, slash and duff (and hopefully steven) can do it, we all know it and they know it too

I think if they wanted to they would have lured Izzy back with equal loot? 

Maybe Slash really wants to make his GNR album. Axl/Slash songs, not Izzy/Axl songs played by Slash. There's enough Axl/Slash material on UYI to show it could done. 

I wonder how WOF would differ from GNR if Slash was in control. 

28 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think if they wanted to they would have lured Izzy back with equal loot? 

Maybe Slash really wants to make his GNR album. Axl/Slash songs, not Izzy/Axl songs played by Slash. There's enough Axl/Slash material on UYI to show it could done. 

I wonder how WOF would differ from GNR if Slash was in control. 

it is always about the money and, maybe I am wrong but, I am speculating and Axl, Slash and Duff realized they did not have to split the big money 4 ways to have a successful reunion tour and that Fortus was a more than an adequate replacement for Izzy so I doubt it was a power play by Slash.......

It is not like this is unprecedented as I believe  Bill Ward did not join the Black Sabbath reunion tour due to money..........

24 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

it is always about the money and, maybe I am wrong but, I am speculating and Axl, Slash and Duff realized they did not have to split the big money 4 ways to have a successful reunion tour and that Fortus was a more than an adequate replacement for Izzy so I doubt it was a power play by Slash.......

It is not like this is unprecedented as I believe  Bill Ward did not join the Black Sabbath reunion tour due to money..........

But if they wanted to knock out an old school GNR album they would need Izzy. So they would lure him with equal loot. 

I think power play is too strong, but they think they can do a record without Izzy. 

Without Izzy, I see an opportunity to do a more Slash oriented record. It's not a negative thing. 

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

But if they wanted to knock out an old school GNR album they would need Izzy. So they would lure him with equal loot. 

I think power play is too strong, but they think they can do a record without Izzy. 

Without Izzy, I see an opportunity to do a more Slash oriented record. It's not a negative thing. 

Yes but I would be surprised if it was a power play by Slash because he did not want Izzy to share the song writing.......then again who is to say Izzy would not be involved in the song writing if they treat him fairly? I mean he played shows with NuGuns for  a  payday so I could see him getting involved in the songwriting if the $$$ was right.......maybe it is just me but he does not seem to be a person who holds grudges especially if the money is right........

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Yes but I would be surprised if it was a power play by Slash because he did not want Izzy to share the song writing.......then again who is to say Izzy would not be involved in the song writing if they treat him fairly? I mean he played shows with NuGuns for  a  payday so I could see him getting involved in the songwriting if the $$$ was right.......maybe it is just me but he does not seem to be a person who holds grudges especially if the money is right........

That's what I said about luring him back with the loot. Maybe they will for a record. Izzy said Axl has 4 of his songs anyway. 

We look at it more like how can they do it more like the past. I wonder if they think more like what haven't we done yet. A Slash led hard rock GNR album has yet to happen. Just an idea. It's as likely as anything else really. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Maybe not but a true gnr record being made would probably be an easier process with Izzy involved. It's not like the current lineup is rushing to the studio

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

Maybe not but a true gnr record being made would probably be an easier process with Izzy involved. It's not like the current lineup is rushing to the studio

I would love for Izzy to be involved, but I am not seeing how he would make the process easier unless the idea is that as he is sitting at home anyway he might as well write music for the band while they are busy touring.

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

I would love for Izzy to be involved, but I am not seeing how he would make the process easier unless the idea is that as he is sitting at home anyway he might as well write music for the band while they are busy touring.

You would love for Izzy to be involved but you think it'll be easier because he'll be sitting at home?! Because that's what Izzy wants for some made up reason.  Really??? :lol: 

Ever since Izzy left the band we have gotten no new music between Axl Slash and Duff under the gnr name. Chinese Democracy was amazing and all he guys have done awesome stuff but, they clearly are walking a fine line about any potential new music and that's just not ok

Edited by Billsfan

Would we expect greatness from an athlete 25 years past their prime? 

I've always believed artists are like athletes in that they have their peak performance years followed by years of diminished returns.  There are exceptions of course (Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" being the best example), but not many.  Even Dylan admits he can no longer do what he once did.  He can do something different, but whatever it was that inspired his classic material is no longer with him. 

I think anyone expecting more iconic music from Axl/Slash/Duff should check their expectations.  I think they're all capable of releasing good to great music, but I'm not a firm believer that any artist, 25 years out from their prime creative years, is capable of taping into whatever it was that they tapped into all those years ago.  

I've always thought that musicians has a certain number of great songs within them.  Some have only one, others have many.  But there comes a time when the can runs dry.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

I've always believed artists are like athletes in that they have their peak performance years followed by years of diminished returns.  There are exceptions of course (Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" being the best example), but not many.  Even Dylan admits he can no longer do what he once did.  He can do something different, but whatever it was that inspired his classic material is no longer with him. 

I think anyone expecting more iconic music from Axl/Slash/Duff should check their expectations.  I think they're all capable of releasing good to great music, but I'm not a firm believer that any artist, 25 years out from their prime creative years, is capable of taping into whatever it was that they tapped into all those years ago.  

I've always thought that musicians has a certain number of great songs within them.  Some have only one, others have many.  But there comes a time when the can runs dry.  

Well I think it's insane to expect a record holder to start re breaking his own records. It's not like we're asking for Michael Jordan  to rejoin to the NBA to break all of his own records again. Or the same with Wayne Gretzky in the NHL. Nostalgia is one thing but common sense is another.

This is a completely different issue that you gotta understand. We have one of the biggest bands ever that created what's realistically the greatest debut album of all time. 5 guys. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, And Steven. Appetite. 5 guys that somehow created history and it's just been impossible to even get them in a room together. Hey gnr now may be an awesome thing but, we still can't get those 5 on stage for one freaking song. It just makes wanting to see them up there again that much more attractive for the same reason just getting Axl and Slash alone in a room is so attractive.. because it's been built to be IMPOSSIBLE. 

Thats what this comes down to... well, I know it's impossible to recreate appetite. And maybe it would be a joke but, Idk I just have a hard time with 5 guys creating such an incredible album and not wanting to see them give it one more shot at creating new music since they worked together so well in the past. And it's pathetic as it is that they can't even play 1 old song together just for kicks. Apparently money is in the way of that. 

Thats all..

18 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Well I think it's insane to expect a record holder to start re breaking his own records. It's not like we're asking for Michael Jordan  to rejoin to the NBA to break all of his own records again. Or the same with Wayne Gretzky in the NHL. Nostalgia is one thing but common sense is another.

This is a completely different issue that you gotta understand. We have one of the biggest bands ever that created what's realistically the greatest debut album of all time. 5 guys. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, And Steven. Appetite. 5 guys that somehow created history and it's just been impossible to even get them in a room together. Hey gnr now may be an awesome thing but, we still can't get those 5 on stage for one freaking song. It just makes wanting to see them up there again that much more attractive for the same reason just getting Axl and Slash alone in a room is so attractive.. because it's been built to be IMPOSSIBLE. 

Thats what this comes down to... well, I know it's impossible to recreate appetite. And maybe it would be a joke but, Idk I just have a hard time with 5 guys creating such an incredible album and not wanting to see them give it one more shot at creating new music since they worked together so well in the past. And it's pathetic as it is that they can't even play 1 old song together just for kicks. Apparently money is in the way of that. 

Thats all..

But they're all different people; whoever they were and whatever drove them back then isn't who they are now and what drives them today.  They're all great musicians, something that's not going to disappear anytime soon.  What's at issue is whether we should expect another iconic album from five guys (or Axl/Slash/Duff) when very few artists are capable of writing timeless material decades after they broke through.  

That isn't to say they can't come up with some really cool stuff.  For me personally, I'd rather be a little more realistic as to where they are as people versus what we should expect from them as artists.  Perhaps I'm wrong and they've got another Jungle/Estranged/YCBM calibre song in them.   All i'm saying is that I'm not expecting classic cuts from musicians who are very different from people who live completely different lives.   

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

But they're all different people; whoever they were and whatever drove them back then isn't who they are now and what drives them today.  They're all great musicians, something that's not going to disappear anytime soon.  What's at issue is whether we should expect another iconic album from five guys (or Axl/Slash/Duff) when very few artists are capable of writing timeless material decades after they broke through.  

That isn't to say they can't come up with some really cool stuff.  For me personally, I'd rather be a little more realistic as to where they are as people versus what we should expect from them as artists.  Perhaps I'm wrong and they've got another Jungle/Estranged/YCBM calibre song in them.   All i'm saying is that I'm not expecting classic cuts from musicians who are very different from people who live completely different lives.   

So what if they're different people? What is your definition for "Different"?!?! Just because someone named Axl Rose recorded and Album with someone named Slash. They're different people now too. Different Artists for sure. But even if they're not desperate humans looking for scraps to eat, doesn't mean they suck. Axl Rose is singling incredibly now. Slash playing has been unreal. I don't see how former members of Guns N' Roses playing well means I should want them nowhere each other and especially because it hasn't happened in a long time. 

I love gnr. As long as they're creating incredible music and owning stadiums who cares right?!?! I don't need them to recreate jungle or estranged. But I want them to be relevant and create something. They can produce and hit us with a great new jam whenever they feel like it. They're better off together than seperate. The only thing Owed is for the appetite 5 to get on stage 

Edited by Billsfan

3 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

So what if they're different people? What is your definition for "Different"?!?! Just because someone named Axl Rose recorded and Album with someone named Slash. They're different people now too. Different Artists for sure. But even if they're not desperate humans looking for scraps to eat, doesn't mean they suck. Axl Rose is singling incredibly now. Slash playing has been unreal. I don't see how former members of Guns N' Roses playing well means I should want them nowhere each other and especially because it hasn't happened in a long time. 

I love gnr. As long as they're creating incredible music and owning stadiums who cares right?!?! I don't need them to recreate jungle or estranged. But I want them to be relevant and create something. They can produce and hit us with a great new jam whenever they feel like it. They're better off together than seperate. The only thing Owed is for the appetite 5 to get on stage 

To reiterate, I view musicians with respect to their songwriting capabilities to be much like athletes.  They have their prime years of performance, with their talents waning as they get older.  It's why Paul McCartney, Elton John, Billy Joel, or Mick Jagger haven't written an iconic or timeless hit in decades.  The muse or creative spark isn't a constant presence, it eventually leaves all great artists, particularly songwriters.  

There's nothing wrong with wanting Axl and company to be productive when it comes to material.  I just think it's unrealistic to expect these guys who have been doing it for over three decades now to suddenly produce relevant music.  You just don't see that from any other artist so why should we expect it from GNR?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I'd take a Voodoo Lounge, Pump, Razor's Edge type record. Get a couple of songs from each guy Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy. Couple of covers. Light My Fire and The Seeker. 10 tracks. Clink produced. 

You actually want covers on a hypothetical future album? The last time Slash was with Axl we had an entire album of covers, followed by a single of a cover!! The current setlist is flooded with the things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downzy said:

I don't believe that. Certain artists I follow have consistently written outstanding material well past their supposed "prime". I mean, what do people really mean when we talk about an "artists prime"? It's youth primarily, because as a society, we celebrate youth and shy away from acknowledging age. I suppose we associate ageing with deterioration, complacency and a changing of priorities which aren't necessarily conducive to the output of great art. But it's all about the individual. Some artists lose it with age, others carry on just as good as they ever were. David Bowie put out one of his best albums when he was dying of cancer. Neil Young is still putting out great music. It can happen, with the right work ethic and attitude.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3