John Kalodner thinks that GNR wont release a great album

23 minutes ago, Sprite said:

I think Axl is comfortable writing on an existenstial level so thematically I would think that would continue to be the way.

but I'm sure his time in AC/DC put the tongue back in his cheek so there's bound to be a few used to love hers or you ain't the first somewhere. It's anybody's guess.

Maybe he is and has something more to say artistically. But even if he has no issues in that department, it still needs to work as a Guns album with Slash, not as a solo project.

For example, in the China Exchange interview you can clearly tell Axl still doesn't accept what Slash said about him in his book. Live you can clearly see he loves Slash and is willing to work with him.

Old Guns was a band consisting of young band members. Chinese made sense, the "I can do Guns without Slash" attempt.

But now what? Axl doesn't repeat himself like AC/DC, personally I recognize this as a tough challenge for Gn'R. To make another musical statement that will feel like Guns and will have a genuine theme to it is not going to be a walk in the park.

I guess it's like in the song "Jump" by Van Halen, you've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real.

Edited by Rovim

16 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Maybe he is and has something more to say artistically. But even if he has no issues in that department, it still needs to work as a Guns album with Slash, not as a solo project.

For example, in the China Exchange interview you can clearly tell Axl still doesn't accept what Slash said about him in his book. Live you can clearly see he loves Slash and is willing to work with him.

Old Guns was a band consisting of young band members. Chinese made sense, the "I can do Guns without Slash" attempt.

But now what? Axl doesn't repeat himself like AC/DC, personally I recognize this as a tough challenge for Gn'R. To make another musical statement that will feel like Guns and will have a genuine theme to it is not going to be a walk in the park.

I guess it's like in the song "Jump" by Van Halen, you've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real.

Is it ok for themes to be repeated though? For example and keep in mind this is pure conjecture, but what if we got a double album that was a mix of all sorts of material. Old CD, new tweaks, Slash/Duff songs, old 96 material. Release it all in one swoop. That isn't radically different than the concept of use your illusions. 

I cant contemplate lyrics or song styles or anything like that other than thinking it would be kept in the GNR vain of music. I'm just talking release/ the way forward strategy. I don't think the wheel necessarily has to be reinvented. Is backwards the way forward?

On 16.2.2017 at 7:05 PM, Sprite said:

Is it ok for themes to be repeated though? For example and keep in mind this is pure conjecture, but what if we got a double album that was a mix of all sorts of material. Old CD, new tweaks, Slash/Duff songs, old 96 material. Release it all in one swoop. That isn't radically different than the concept of use your illusions. 

I cant contemplate lyrics or song styles or anything like that other than thinking it would be kept in the GNR vain of music. I'm just talking release/ the way forward strategy. I don't think the wheel necessarily has to be reinvented. Is backwards the way forward?

You can write about whatever you want as a solo artist and in some bands, it's just that in Gn'R each album reflected the personality of whoever wrote the lyrics really well at the time, and the music always was a perfect match to the lyrics. But you can't really do those themes forever or for a full album. A repeat of UYI and Appetite. (albums that used old material as well and songs that were written by other writers)

Also, it's less about individual tunes, or not just about that. The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, but Slash is sober and in Guns. Can't be 12 cock rock tunes like some of his solo albums.

An album that consists of material from all eras, old and new could work, you don't have to know what the album is gonna be about in order to start working on it.

So they can write new tunes and work on updating old ones and go from there.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, Sprite said:

That's what is most perplexing. Will the next record have a theme? 

Afd had violence, sex, drugs, hopelessness, hopefulness and heartfelt love. All things you find in the street.

uyi was all that too, but also took chances with a little more polish. 

Guns have always had an existential quality to their music. The plight of the individual. The bitter sexuality of rocket queen gives way to the person realizing he can't treat someone this way. One in a million really drove more of this style of writing, particularly the last verse. We saw more of it with lyrics like dead horse, coma and estranged. Which leads us to CD. 

CD has always had an existential theme to me. Really all the songs seem to at some level point to an individuals inner battle with outside environment. 

Look at Axls life objectively. Not the famous rockstar guy, just a fellow human like you. His life is crazy as fuck. When you think of his upbringing to how he got to Hollywood and actually making it, then championing a new style of art which was totally orongial and gave way to grunge and sold as many records as they have. All of his personal things that happened in his childhood and during other parts of his life.. to being a mega wealthy person living in one of the richest places in the world. It's really incredible. If your neighbor had a story like that you'd tell everyone you know. I'm sure there is more to say. I think Axl is comfortable writing on an existenstial level so thematically I would think that would continue to be the way.

but I'm sure his time in AC/DC put the tongue back in his cheek so there's bound to be a few used to love hers or you ain't the first somewhere. It's anybody's guess.

You can just look at the cover of CD and expect a 90s alternative record. The black and white photo cover is so 90s. Of course it's GNR so there's a 70s strain still, pomp rock thing too. Most 90s albums werent sleazy rock n roll. Not much glam anyway, it was more Sabbath or Zepp. There's not really an Aerosmith or DC coming out in the 90s. Even GNR were moving away from that on UYI. And then with CD it was all gone. Seems like Axl wouldn't write about street life if he's living Malibu. GNR were living what they were singing about. So it does become more about relationships and socio-political. Axl seems to mix his metaphors in a way. So some songs could be personal or socio-political. But most songs seem to be about people and situations Axl was in or something he read about or saw on tv. Like Axl said it's meant to be spiritual without going religious. It all seems very righteous vibe wise. The pov is pretty unrelenting. Lyrically it's like Out ta Get me or Estranged. Unrequited paranoia. 

It's true the DC shows and just the  love fest of the Reunion tour makes me think they would just jump in the studio and do Destruction or Bust. 10 Slash tracks with Axl vocals about being awesome. But we know that never really happens. Axl has been rumored to be sitting on material since 2000. But who's he fighting with these days? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wasted said:

You can just look at the cover of CD and expect a 90s alternative record. The black and white photo cover is so 90s. Of course it's GNR so there's a 70s strain still, pomp rock thing too. Most 90s albums werent sleazy rock n roll. Not much glam anyway, it was more Sabbath or Zepp. There's not really an Aerosmith or DC coming out in the 90s. Even GNR were moving away from that on UYI. And then with CD it was all gone. Seems like Axl wouldn't write about street life if he's living Malibu. GNR were living what they were singing about. So it does become more about relationships and socio-political. Axl seems to mix his metaphors in a way. So some songs could be personal or socio-political. But most songs seem to be about people and situations Axl was in or something he read about or saw on tv. Like Axl said it's meant to be spiritual without going religious. It all seems very righteous vibe wise. The pov is pretty unrelenting. Lyrically it's like Out ta Get me or Estranged. Unrequited paranoia. 

It's true the DC shows and just the  love fest of the Reunion tour makes me think they would just jump in the studio and do Destruction or Bust. 10 Slash tracks with Axl vocals about being awesome. But we know that never really happens. Axl has been rumored to be sitting on material since 2000. But who's he fighting with these days? 

Guns have always had their own sound. Most great bands do. It's safe to expect heavy, guitar driven rock and I guess that's what's left over from the sleazy days/sound. I like when artists evolve because life is always changing. I dig the newer Nazareth stuff like When the light's come down because I think it works like their old music, but I'm always left seeing it more as a modern time piece placement of a retro art. I like it in the same way I respect Rod Stewart retiring to Las Vegas or ACDC releasing the same album. Like it could be more but they're happy with what they did so we're ok. That's the aspect of Guns discovery I love. It's like it kept being pushed to the next level each time. Maybe I'm just being selfish and judgmental of other people's art.

All great writing can work on many levels. Great writers understand that. I think Axl is a great writer. There has always been the aspect of duality in Guns music. From the name Guns N Roses itself being at odds, to songs like Civil War interweaving, lyrics like Rocket Queen abusing then loving someone in 6 minutes. In the paradise city the grass is green and the girls are pretty but in the verses you've got to deal with anger of the system. Dead Horse has remnants of Seattle Grunge. At least to me. Maybe it just reminds me of Duff or the lyrics are Cobain-esqe. We got southern rock elements on UYI 2, but also You could be mine and a get in the ring rant. And My World, plus a piano piece that would satisfy Elton John himself in Estranged. TSI? Started as a punk cover album that slowly blossomed into a dedication to anything that made noise, including a kazoo. Some Soundgarden here, throw in the Beatles mix there. Of course we need some Fear. What would this be without a 50's doo-wop cover? "It's almost ready, slap a Manson cover on there and get it to the kids by November". Chinese had a 500 piece orchestra but also one of the meanest songs in Scraped. Scraped itself is an exemplification of  dual thought we all have lyrically, musically and vocally speaking.  The innocence of Catcher was met equally with the menacingly evil Shackler. The Blues is Street of Dreams is The Blues. That is Guns style. It's the balance of order. It's abraxas. It's spirituality without religion. I think taking chances in all sorts of ways with all sorts of material and making it their own beautifully ugly thing has always been the theme of the band.

I read yesterday that in Slash's book he says he was open to industrial or whatever Axl was wanting to if they could just communicate. Excuse my paraphrasing. But assuming that is true, what does that mean for the future? Maybe Slash is open to new things today. Maybe the next level was going to be the 96 album. Not  industrial but more as GNR's take on Sabbath in the 90's, hence the Zakk Wylde saga or Axl talking about Guns meanest, most Sabbath moment, being on a song not even released yet but played at a Christmas party. Tis the season to air grievances after all. Axl is a rocker at heart. You can take a man out of Lafayette but you can't take the Lafayette out of a man. Sure there could have been ideas for elements of industrial but can you blame him? There is some great music there and it ended up working eventually on Chinese and other, new styles worked tremendously in the past (UYI, Patience, SCOM).

I remember interviews of Slash saying he didn't want to do things like November Rain. He just wanted to rock like Twisted Sister said. You see that itself goes back to the balance of the band. Slash is Dee Snider's simplicity to Axl's Howard Hughes complexity. Like magnets they repel each other, yet every now and again you get that perfect rhythm and they move as one even while repelled. They are north and south. Black and white. Up and down. PB&J. But in the middle or combined or whatever word you use is where we find that spark of creativity. That great album. That perfect guitar/vocal combo. Each one acted out their own polarity with their careers post the other. Set me Free is ironically the most Axl VR song to me but loosely translates to Slash setting himself free of Axl's shadow with that band/song/statement. Remember it was the first single for VR. Words were being said. Axl Set him free in a similar way in Madagascar in not wanting vengeance anymore or clearing any animosity. In a way, this was the first single of new gnr at the 02 VMA's too. The air might've been clear for some time, it's just more timing after all these years. All polarities eventually returns to the source and that is what's happening now. You find your way to heaven, I'll meet you when you're there. We are due for an album. Not in a complaining fan way, in a way that that is how the order works. The dau. It had to happen this way for it to happen this way.

It's hard to deny the effect of some of Axl's visions in UYI material. Are they packing in 73K the other night in Australia without the grandiose UYI? So maybe Slash is open to trusting Axl's vision more in his older age. That vision is why a band with their original shelf life and small discovery is ranked so highly historically. He's got to dig it on some level to be playing 3-4 CD songs a night. Or he understands the band is a mix of styles built on taking chances no one else would. When the world moves to virtual reality, Guns grab a VHS and their cock. That is who they are. No trends. Let's keep it Jeans and a Tshirt. Like Lynyrd Skynyrd owned being white trash and gave no fuck because all they cared about is getting away from women. It's the essence of rock and roll.

They should do a cover of We're in this together by Nine Inch Nails with Slash on guitar. It would complete the saga in so many ways!

Sanity is a small box. Insanity is everything... Think of the possibilities.

17 hours ago, Sprite said:

Guns have always had their own sound. Most great bands do. It's safe to expect heavy, guitar driven rock and I guess that's what's left over from the sleazy days/sound. I like when artists evolve because life is always changing. I dig the newer Nazareth stuff like When the light's come down because I think it works like their old music, but I'm always left seeing it more as a modern time piece placement of a retro art. I like it in the same way I respect Rod Stewart retiring to Las Vegas or ACDC releasing the same album. Like it could be more but they're happy with what they did so we're ok. That's the aspect of Guns discovery I love. It's like it kept being pushed to the next level each time. Maybe I'm just being selfish and judgmental of other people's art.

All great writing can work on many levels. Great writers understand that. I think Axl is a great writer. There has always been the aspect of duality in Guns music. From the name Guns N Roses itself being at odds, to songs like Civil War interweaving, lyrics like Rocket Queen abusing then loving someone in 6 minutes. In the paradise city the grass is green and the girls are pretty but in the verses you've got to deal with anger of the system. Dead Horse has remnants of Seattle Grunge. At least to me. Maybe it just reminds me of Duff or the lyrics are Cobain-esqe. We got southern rock elements on UYI 2, but also You could be mine and a get in the ring rant. And My World, plus a piano piece that would satisfy Elton John himself in Estranged. TSI? Started as a punk cover album that slowly blossomed into a dedication to anything that made noise, including a kazoo. Some Soundgarden here, throw in the Beatles mix there. Of course we need some Fear. What would this be without a 50's doo-wop cover? "It's almost ready, slap a Manson cover on there and get it to the kids by November". Chinese had a 500 piece orchestra but also one of the meanest songs in Scraped. Scraped itself is an exemplification of  dual thought we all have lyrically, musically and vocally speaking.  The innocence of Catcher was met equally with the menacingly evil Shackler. The Blues is Street of Dreams is The Blues. That is Guns style. It's the balance of order. It's abraxas. It's spirituality without religion. I think taking chances in all sorts of ways with all sorts of material and making it their own beautifully ugly thing has always been the theme of the band.

I read yesterday that in Slash's book he says he was open to industrial or whatever Axl was wanting to if they could just communicate. Excuse my paraphrasing. But assuming that is true, what does that mean for the future? Maybe Slash is open to new things today. Maybe the next level was going to be the 96 album. Not  industrial but more as GNR's take on Sabbath in the 90's, hence the Zakk Wylde saga or Axl talking about Guns meanest, most Sabbath moment, being on a song not even released yet but played at a Christmas party. Tis the season to air grievances after all. Axl is a rocker at heart. You can take a man out of Lafayette but you can't take the Lafayette out of a man. Sure there could have been ideas for elements of industrial but can you blame him? There is some great music there and it ended up working eventually on Chinese and other, new styles worked tremendously in the past (UYI, Patience, SCOM).

I remember interviews of Slash saying he didn't want to do things like November Rain. He just wanted to rock like Twisted Sister said. You see that itself goes back to the balance of the band. Slash is Dee Snider's simplicity to Axl's Howard Hughes complexity. Like magnets they repel each other, yet every now and again you get that perfect rhythm and they move as one even while repelled. They are north and south. Black and white. Up and down. PB&J. But in the middle or combined or whatever word you use is where we find that spark of creativity. That great album. That perfect guitar/vocal combo. Each one acted out their own polarity with their careers post the other. Set me Free is ironically the most Axl VR song to me but loosely translates to Slash setting himself free of Axl's shadow with that band/song/statement. Remember it was the first single for VR. Words were being said. Axl Set him free in a similar way in Madagascar in not wanting vengeance anymore or clearing any animosity. In a way, this was the first single of new gnr at the 02 VMA's too. The air might've been clear for some time, it's just more timing after all these years. All polarities eventually returns to the source and that is what's happening now. You find your way to heaven, I'll meet you when you're there. We are due for an album. Not in a complaining fan way, in a way that that is how the order works. The dau. It had to happen this way for it to happen this way.

It's hard to deny the effect of some of Axl's visions in UYI material. Are they packing in 73K the other night in Australia without the grandiose UYI? So maybe Slash is open to trusting Axl's vision more in his older age. That vision is why a band with their original shelf life and small discovery is ranked so highly historically. He's got to dig it on some level to be playing 3-4 CD songs a night. Or he understands the band is a mix of styles built on taking chances no one else would. When the world moves to virtual reality, Guns grab a VHS and their cock. That is who they are. No trends. Let's keep it Jeans and a Tshirt. Like Lynyrd Skynyrd owned being white trash and gave no fuck because all they cared about is getting away from women. It's the essence of rock and roll.

They should do a cover of We're in this together by Nine Inch Nails with Slash on guitar. It would complete the saga in so many ways!

Sanity is a small box. Insanity is everything... Think of the possibilities.

Slash reworking CD songs is promising. He's done a lot of stuff with Guns, VR, solo. But maybe he realises that tangling with Axl is something special and maybe doing 10,000 takes or when hears a flute or Axl brings in Shrillex he just has to ride it out and it could end up being something he never imagined. Or the worse. Spin the barrels!

• Like 1