John Kalodner thinks that GNR wont release a great album

Why do superstars need someone to tell them their songs are not good enough? are they not capable of recognizing when it's good enough? isn't that ability is one of the reasons why they became superstars in the first place? or managed to release a good second album. So silly.

I imagine superstars have friends as well. Bob Ezrin types that will tell you how they truly feel and even if you don't have an objective opinion on your shit, it's still possible to come up with a good idea and recognize that it's good.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

I think there are plenty of producers out there that are happy to say "that's crap, play more stuff like track #2".

It's a tough call as to whether or not GnR will release a great album with the current line up, they certainly have enough talent to do so and there's a proven ability to write good/great songs among them. If GnR hire a yes man producer they won't get a great record, if GnR self produce the record they won't get a great record. They need a hard ass... and I'm not sure how well that would go over with them... maybe they'd each enjoy being pushed. But I'd guess that even current happy, laid back Axl would fire anyone who called one of his songs shit.

Well he could be right...or he could be wrong haha it's just this guys opinion. It won't be easy to write a great album with a few hits that will resonate with the public. I think the odds that the next album is great is quite low...just too many expectations. 

But from a talent stand point Axl and Slash are more than capable and I look forward to see what they bring to the table. Unlike most artist that wrote music with professional writers, Axl and Slash will make it their way 

Kalodner told record execs who they should sign to the label and maybe got some credits for touching a fader or lining up studio time as an executive producer or mixer (Steven and Joe also had a hand in producing and mixing some of the albums but wouldn't get credit until they worked from home studios), Fairbairn produced 80s Aerosmith. 

VR = Hit

SMKC = Hit

I don't see how SLash & duff teaming up with Axl again won't produce more hit records.

Those guys are capable of starting a record in the beginning of the year and touring it by the end of the year. The only question is will Axl keep it from getting out and force SLash to go back to SMKC. Of course CD taking forever to be released wasn't all Axl's fault but even UYI took longer than it should

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

I wish they would just release a record already so we wouldn't have to read this crappy speculation. And it's hard to see how Axl and the gang could produce shitty album, since they are all experienced musicians. I don't see how it couldn't be a great record in my opinion anyway. To some other, like this asshole, it might not be a great record. But once again it's not some universal truth of the matter. Fuck.

I think Kalodnar has a valid point.........Artists seem to be the last people to be subjective of their own work. There are plenty of cases where a band wanted to leave off a song which ended up being the hit of the album but were convinced by the producer o include it..........

• Like 4

That just seems crazy to say a reunited Guns album wouldn't go platinum. At the risk of this old debate, didn't CD even go 2X-3X platinum? 

Yeah music has changed but there is still a huge fan base for older rock music. The media just doesn't represent it anymore because media represents youth which largely listens to pop music.

1.  In today's music environment (free downloads youtube, etc) it will be hard for anyone to go multiplatinum like back in the day.

2.  Slash and Duff have been making great albums for 20 years outside of GNR.  So I don't think it will suck, BUT:

3.  Without IZZY, it will be very difficult to have that classic GNR sound/vibe.  It will sound a little different with a replacement drummer and rhythm guitarist.

4.  John K. is correct about the music industry, why else does it suck balls for the most part these days?

3 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

Kalodner probably couldn't even write a nursery rhyme and yet he wants to run his mouth without even hearing a note from GNR.

True, he is probably best know for producing Aerosmith Pump and others.  But Desmond Child co-wrote half of Aerosmith and Bon Jovi songs.