Opinion on Shotgun Blues?

One of my favs along with Rocket Queen, One in a million, Don't damn me, Coma, and Anything goes. Yes, I'm being serious.

As for the lyrics, I don't really give a shit. Shotgun blues makes me wanna run a marathon or maybe redecorate the house, n that's how I know I like a song a lot. 

• Like 1

It's probably my least favorite long (not including My World or covers). It's not that it's a bad song, I just haven't listened to it nearly as much as Don't Damn Me, Bad Apples, Garden of Eden, YCBM, Perfect Crime, even Back Off Bitch, any of the hard rockers really.... I'm starting to think it would've sounded more at home on UYI I now that I look at that list :lol: But even though I almost never listen to it, the "I'm tired of the frustration" part still has some of Axl's best vocals on the album IMO.

edit: actually, it's better than So Fine. But that's about it...

Edited by Gordon Comstock

It's GNR's punk rock. No frills, in your face, raw... angry, pissed off aggressive fuel. It makes no apologies and doesn't try to be the answer to anything. It's Axl and the band getting shit off their chest, and it works.

Cool little ditty. Axl taking up rhythm guitar duties and does a good job, even busts out a pick slide at the start to show he means business. A quick and to the point, shut your brain off and head bang type of song. I think it's a nice little reprieve on the album from the more deep,experimental stuff and just highlights the bands knack of being able to do both with ease.

Edited by Silverburst80

I wonder if they did this one in rehearsals because I think it's a "never done live" song. 

Surprised he was the sole songwriter. 

What I don't like about it is how they end the song. Either we'll find out it was done in 3 takes because the UYI deadline was looming, or one of those songs Axl obsessed over. 

I wonder who was "rippin' off children" or who the "IQ over 15" was about, or he just went stream of consciousness or he just did "Mad Libs" style, where you make a skeleton poem and try to fill in the rest with verbs, nouns, adjectives... 

Favorite line, You say I walk a line, Fuck they move it every time

Edited by dalsh327

When the albums first came out I liked Dust N Bones and Shotgun Blues the best of the new tracks and Right next door to Hell. 

I made a mix tape of RNDTH, Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden, Shotgin Blues repeated TDK60 tape so it would repeat over and over in car. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wasted said:

When the albums first came out I liked Dust N Bones and Shotgun Blues the best of the new tracks and Right next door to Hell. 

I made a mix tape of RNDTH, Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden, Shotgin Blues repeated TDK60 tape so it would repeat over and over in car. 

I would get a lot of speeding tickets with that blasting in the car!!

its kind of a bad song and it lacks a bit of groove in too many parts

drumming is to much pah pah pah pah pah pah 

the best/most grooving part is the "confrontation" part and straight into the solo and then return to the song

but those guys were so good that they still make it sound good somehow so i like it

:headbang:

• Like 1

On 6/18/2016 at 8:34 AM, Modano09 said:

Illusions are my favorite GNR albums and I didn't really get why so many people thought it should have been 1 album without the filler....but listening to them lately, they really are all over the place. Over-produced at times, rock, blues, ballads, whatever You Ain't The First is, whatever My World is, a cover song, two versions of the same song and songs written 6 or 7 years prior. It comes off like an album that had to be a double album because everyone in the band had songs they wanted on there.

I think many people are inconsistent with their opinion and tend to be hypocritical. Case in point, you hear people whining all the time about songs that exist but weren't included on CD. They want to hear those songs and long for a CD2 in order to get them.

Then you have the Illusion albums where the band basically said "fuck it, let's release everything we've been working on" (for the most part) yet people complain that the album is too eclectic, all over the place, and contains songs they shouldn't have released. I don't get it.

I personally love that they released those 30 songs so that I have more to pick and choose from. And I love most every one of those songs. Honestly, there's really only 1 song I'm not fond of and a couple others than I'm indifferent about. Everything else is great, IMO, including the topic of this discussion, Shotgun Blues.

I've heard Axl refer to the Illusion albums as sort of their version of The Beatles "White Album" in that it ventures into different sounds and genres. That's what Guns N' Roses has really been about. Being an eclectic rock and roll band. That's why they've covered everything from Bob Dylan to Paul McCartney to Elvis Presley to the Stones to The Stooges, etc. At their heart, they are a blues based hard rock band. But that's not all that they are.

In fact, most casual fans don't even realize that songs such as Don't Cry, November Rain, etc. we're in the works well before Appetite for Destruction appeared in music stores across the country. They never changed their sound. They just decided to hit the fans with their harder-edged material first.

But back to the point, I think the Illusion albums are perfect in that they present fans with a wide array of different types of rock music. Some of it may not appeal to everyone, especially if looking for a consistent sound a la AC/DC, but at least there's a lot to choose from.

Edited by thunderram

55 minutes ago, thunderram said:

I think many people are inconsistent with their opinion and tend to be hypocritical. Case in point, you hear people whining all the time about songs that exist but weren't included on CD. They want to hear those songs and long for a CD2 in order to get them.

Then you have the Illusion albums where the band basically said "fuck it, let's release everything we've been working on" (for the most part) yet people complain that the album is too eclectic, all over the place, and contains songs they shouldn't have released. I don't get it.

I personally love that they released those 30 songs so that I have more to pick and choose from. And I love most every one of those songs. Honestly, there's really only 1 song I'm not fond of and a couple others than I'm indifferent about. Everything else is great, IMO, including the topic of this discussion, Shotgun Blues.

I've heard Axl refer to the Illusion albums as sort of their version of The Beatles "White Album" in that it ventures into different sounds and genres. That's what Guns N' Roses has really been about. Being an eclectic rock and roll band. That's why they've covered everything from Bob Dylan to Paul McCartney to Elvis Presley to the Stones to The Stooges, etc. At their heart, they are a blues based hard rock band. But that's not all that they are.

In fact, most casual fans don't even realize that songs such as Don't Cry, November Rain, etc. we're in the works well before Appetite for Destruction appeared in music stores across the country. They never changed their sound. They just decided to hit the fans with their harder-edged material first.

But back to the point, I think the Illusion albums are perfect in that they present fans with a wide array of different types of rock music. Some of it may not appeal to everyone, especially if looking for a consistent sound a la AC/DC, but at least there's a lot to choose from.

Great point!

I agree with almost everything, except I don't like Shotgun Blues...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Great point!

I agree with almost everything, except I don't like Shotgun Blues...

But I'll bet that you're glad that they at least released Shotgun Blues on UYI2 so that you could listen and decide whether or not you liked it! :headbang:

• Like 2