China Exchange Q&A with Axl Rose Transcript

12 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

China Exchange Transcript:

0:28

Interviewer: Listen, ...........

........Interviewer: Axl Rose today.

Brilliant, brilliant job @sanity_lost :thumbsup:

It must have taken you a helluva lot of time to do this. Kudos to you for the effort, and for spending the time, so that all the forum members can watch the video AND make sense of what was said.

• Like 2

Damn it! I'm out of likes but thank you so much @sanity_lost!

This is invaluable work. It should be posted somewhere online so that it doesn't get lost within the forum activity. 

I hope some big website or page wants to put it up online and give you the credit, of course.

You should go pitch this work! :P

• Like 2

Great job- lot of fuckin hard work right there!

What's a shame is, this interview could've maybe been one of the all time great Axl interviews, if only that moderator wasn't such an absolute fuckin prick. It was bad enough that he kept talking over Axl and cutting Axl's answers short when Axl clearly had more to say on the topic, but the way he kept pointing and gesturing while Axl was talking was clearly distracting Axl as well. Fuck that guy. 

• Like 4

You are all welcome! I will admit that I definitely listened to it way more than is healthy.

I didn't care much for the interviewer the first time I listen to the Q&A with bad audio and I really didn't like him much when I was doing most of the transcribing (a lot of stop and go and thanking youtube for the easy spacebar= pause/play and left arrow= skip back 5 seconds). The talking over each other was hugely irritating. However when I was doing the follow up complete listen throughs I appreciated him much more. He was doing his best to keep things moving. The thing started late and they only had so much time with what sounded like another speaker following up almost immediately after Axl ended. Axl gave some very long answers and the host was doing is best to keep things moving to get more questions asked. I will say that his arguing with Axl over the going back in time and creating their own label thing irritated me every time I had to hear it. I thought it was kind of strange how he appeared to be treating Axl like he was a powder-keg about to explode, but then turned around and argued with him over the label thing. He really didn't appear to get what Axl was saying. It seemed to me that Axl was not best pleased by the guy's hardheadedness. But that just might be me projecting my feelings on it because the guy irritated me there.

• Like 1

Awesome review. Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate it and I love Richard and i like Frank (although I would have preferred Brain) but I'm still hungry curious on what would his answer had been to: Why Izzy and Steven were not included. Someday maybe?

• Like 1

Gah! I don't know how many times I looked over this and I am still finding typos. Just so you know, if you notice anymore "their" instead of "there"s I am going to claim that it is Axl's fault. He used the wrong word and I just typed what he said. :P

(Please let me know if you notice any typos so I can correct them. I suck at proofreading what I type up. My brain knows what it is supposed to be and just skips right over it.)

52 minutes ago, Attlas said:

I fucking love you, I'm not a native english speaker and I don't understand a fucking word Axl says hahaga

It was fun. I never really paid much attention to how people talk before.  Axl uses a lot of contractions and sometimes drops endings to words and other times runs words together. Not to mention the time toward the end of the answer about labels being businesses when he started talking at warp speed. I knew what he was saying, but it took many, many replays to get the exact wording.

3 hours ago, valengf said:

Awesome review. Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate it and I love Richard and i like Frank (although I would have preferred Brain) but I'm still hungry curious on what would his answer had been to: Why Izzy and Steven were not included. Someday maybe?

He seemed to allude to it when he said he asked Izzy to do a video and izzy said not gonna happen. I think Izzy just decided who he is and that's it. It's still amicable, amicably bittersweet. 

Also, what Axl said about writing melody and lyrics first on AFD is opposite of how some say AFD was made. Also seems like he has in someway finished writing lyrics for a good deal of material? As in he's not writing currently. If Slash does something he'll get into it. 

The other thing is the happy with CD line up but reunion always in mind that's always confusing...That kind of segues into my question is Axl consciously trying to have different distinct records and eras of GNR, or is it just happen that way because it takes so long? Would he release 3 albums in 3 years if he had material like that. How do standards and style come into it? Like if they have decent stuff but he doesn't think it's interesting or saying what he wants to...Guns seem very career oriented underneath all the potential jail time. 

Also it's interesting Axl still talks about Izzy or Niven. I don't think he's as shut down as people say. Things just happen and you everyone has their story. But doesn't mean it will work out exactly. I still think AFD line up will play together. It's all about the fans and legacy now. A new record could be important to that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

How rude was the interviewer to the fans? Unbelievable. I don't know how Axl held his tongue.

Dude was such an asshole. I did like some of the looks Axl gave him though. There was more than a few looks like "Dude, you're a dick" :lol:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Dude was such an asshole. I did like some of the looks Axl gave him though. There was more than a few looks like "Dude, you're a dick" :lol:

And Axl said "I'll do anything you want" when the interviewer gave leaving instructions to the fans and the "why,why,why?" comment. I think he handled it very well and was even touched by the love and respect the fans in the room showed him.

• Like 1

Interviewer: Get on with it.

I think he was just trying to get the most out of the 60 minutes. Establish authority to protect Axl and not let it descend into 60 minutes of fanboydom. 

But Axl was still slippin' and slidin'. It's almost like the reunion reset the clock. If you read a book and went to reunion that's all you need going forward. It's a new day. 

Just curious, but after going through the transcript, what stood out to people here, that they didn't catch on first listen?

For me it was - confirmation that he does get winded/out of breath while running on stage, 'thirty years ago the band was all on heroin', the lack of freedom in Saudi Arabia and Egypt, The 'are you afraid of death question', the interviewer calling a questioner a fool and most importantly, Axl saying that he considers being among GN'R fans a safe zone/comfort zone, as compared to when he is under pressure, when he's in front of the AC/DC crowds.

I don't think I caught any of this stuff on the first couple of listens.

• Like 1