Wouldn't now be a great time to drop a single?

Not at all.

Why 'waste' the first single with Axl, Slash and Duff to start a tour that would sell great anyway? I really want new music but a new single only makes sense if an album is coming and the album won't come until the whole Not In This Lifetime tour ends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apollo said:

GnR has released one album of original material in the last 25 years. 

Gnr's album release was eight years ago. 

Slash and Duff come back to the band.....

And people want their first release to be a cover?

WTF is wrong with you people?

I don't think he was the one referring to covering Slither. I think he was talking about a new gnr song but I agree releasing a cover of  Slither would be incredibly lame for a multitude of reasons.

Like I said a music soundtrack ALA YCBM or Set Me Free would do wonders to generate excitement all over radio and social media and get the remaining tickets sold

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Apollo said:

GnR has released one album of original material in the last 25 years. 

Gnr's album release was eight years ago. 

Slash and Duff come back to the band.....

And people want their first release to be a cover?

WTF is wrong with you people?

I never mentioned anything of a cover, lol.

I would love some original material. I'm just saying that releasing a single now could be a double-edged blade, especially if the media isn't into it. I do think it would be a good way to drum up interest though - especially since promotion seems to have died down and some stadiums aren't selling very fast.

37 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I don't think he was the one referring to covering Slither. I think he was talking about a new gnr song but I agree releasing a cover of  Slither would be incredibly lame for a multitude of reasons.

Like I said a music soundtrack ALA YCBM or Set Me Free would do wonders to generate excitement all over radio and social media and get the remaining tickets sold

IIRC, When Axl was spotted in Atlanta, there were rumours that he was negotiating a song for a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy 2, but since it was revealed he was there rehearsing for AC/DC, i don't know how legitimate those rumours were...

If The World, Oh My God and You Could Be Mine were on some movies, so it isn't entirely out of the question. It still seems unlikely though.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

Problem with a single is it will be taken as the big comeback single from Axl and Slash. So if it's great then it could be great promo for the tour. But on the other hand the band will suddenly be judged on that one song. Heard new Slash GNR song? Yup it sucks not as good as old stuff, not sure worth going to see this fake reunion shit. 

I expect them to delve deeper into CD with Slash doing Shackler's or Catcher. Slash is still gaining Axl's trust it seems.

I think the best we can hope for is Slash on a new CD II song live. Kind of like rehearsing to record on CD II material in the studio. Like the song Fortus mentioned could be road tested. 

I think we'll see them live before a single. That's what could boost ticket sales. That and playing Bad Obsession or an Izzy cameo. 

Doibt they will commit to anything as big as a single. 

Slash will go back to solo and Axl will record with Angus before that happens. 

There's two ways to promo a tour left. Put out an album or AFD line up. So I doubt they will play those cards unless they really have to. 

Edited by wasted
This is not normal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

Or re- record Better with the killer new Slash intro.

They could put out a quick Reunion Collection with Slash versions of Chi dem, The Seeker, Better, Whole Lotta Rosie, This I Love, There was a Time, Catcher...Coma, Double Talkin Jive, New Rose, Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City. 

With a cover the band playing and Axl on his throne. It would sell for the duration of the tour. 

or a Live album/blu ray like Reunion @ the Troubadour which would have these new versions. 

Edited by wasted
New

It sounds like a good idea, But this is Guns N Fucking Roses we're talking about, the band who has released ONE ALBUM in 25 years. 

And with the Big 3 being back together for about 6 months, they may feel timid of pushing any buttons and trying to record stuff that could potential throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing and fuck it up. I Dont see shit being done this year, but the Tour here stateside. If this shit is successful and goes off without a hitch, next year is the best chance we've got of getting something from them music wise. 

5 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Alright, from that standpoint, I understand what you are saying.   We're good.  Here's the thing, I think.....on a forum like this with diehard fans, the band can almost do nothing right, even if it was the AFD 5 it would likely be ripped apart for whatever reason.  However, in a general sense, this regrouping is awesome.  But, in a place like this you have to expect that a lot of people would be a lot more excited about a true reunion than just a regrouping of 3 of the original 5 mixed in with hanger-ons (richard and frank specifically, Dizzy to a certain extent though he's been around since the Illusion records at least).    

A lot of people would still be bitching even if it was the afd5 "just a nostalgia band" "cash grab" "where's the new music" and that one guy would be " wtf where's dj ashba?" LOL. Whatever I'm still pretty stoked for what it is. Whole damn thing could implode and be over. People will be super pissed they missed one of these shows if that happened but they are too busy whining how it's not meeting their expectations to enjoy it. Sure a lot of thing could be better about the whole thing, but it's freaking amazing to see what we got so far. Never thought it was gonna happen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

The promotion on this tour is obviously different than previous ones and management/AEG is way more capable, let me just say that. I don't know how well the shows are selling thus far for the NITL tour, but the buzz of the GnR reunion has definitely died down considerably since April. Most of the excitement was stifled by Axl's injury, and then the long break with Axl killing it in ACDC.

They can easily nullify that by releasing a single. Any new material to show fans that this is not a cash grab. Show the world you're ready to continue this brand with progression. I know it's nearly impossible for Slash & Duff to have recorded anything yet. Even if it's Bucket-era material, just release something to get people talking. How excited would you guys be with the exact same set from Vegas/Coachella except w/ Nice Boys, Madagascar, etc added in? 

I'm not trying to be a hater by the way, I paid ridiculous amount of money to fly to Vegas and see both nights. It's just hard to drum up enthusiasm if it's gonna be the exact same thing we saw in April. Look how fresh Axl singing 25 new (ACDC) songs was. Imagine just one new GnR song played live, it would surely excite the lot of us. What do you guys think?

....but this is just a cash grab. 3/5 of the original lineup are going out to play the hits of yesterday to middle aged men wiling to pay hundreds (and for some THOUSANDS) of dollars at your local stadium this summer.......in between AC/DC shows. 

I'm going to one of the shows. I expect to have a fun night out, and then I don't really expect anything at all after that. However, if I were to pay to see them again, they would have to deliver on some new music, and I don't see that happening. Slash needs to pay for his divorce and Axl needs to pay for that mansion and Burger King runs - and promoters took a gamble by paying Axl, Slash and Duff what must be a LOT of guarantee money due to the ticket prices and venue sizes. 

2 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Cheers. 2017 sounds good, lol.

I think the band would of been working on stuff flat out while Axl was doing this Acdc thing and I think Axl is a changed man and sounds really motivated since slash and duff are back on board. Id put my balls on something November 2017 at the latest 

Edited by Gibbo 27
  • Like 1

As far as a new single off a new album goes I don't see that on this tour. But a new song would go a long way to getting more interest in the tour again. A single for a movie soundtrack seems the only way for now. I think Slash was talking about working on another horror film towards the end of last year but I don't know if anything has materialised from that with all the GNR stuff. That's probably the only way we'd get a single. I suppose there's always going down the greatest hits road with 2 new bonus tracks (probably A couple of CD2 songs ) 

8 hours ago, wasted said:

They could put out a quick Reunion Collection with Slash versions of Chi dem, The Seeker, Better, Whole Lotta Rosie, This I Love, There was a Time, Catcher...Coma, Double Talkin Jive, New Rose, Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City. 

With a cover the band playing and Axl on his throne. It would sell for the duration of the tour. 

or a Live album/blu ray like Reunion @ the Troubadour which would have these new versions. 

Lol, no. That is one of the worst ideas ever.

A band with one album in 25 years should never even think about releasing another covers album. We've been listening to Better for almost a decade. Hearing Slash playing a new info on it is fun, but not a necessity. 

And why would we need an album with SCOM and PC on it? 99.99% of GnR fans already own Appetite and Illusions.

Dj, Dizzy, The Beta, Axl and several other people have talked about Axl having at least two more albums of material already finished. We know orchestra work had been done on unreleased songs. We know that other completed songs almost made CD.

So a covers, remix or greatest hits album is a total insult to GnR fans.

This band could easily release an album in a month. Give Slash and Duff the CD vault.  Let them pick their 10 favorites. 

Have Duff and Slash bring a batch of their songs to Axl and let him pick out his favorite 2-3.

Now you are starting an album, but the songs are already 90% finished.

Go tour for the next year  

And in 2018, release another GnR album. This one written from scratch by the reunited group  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Or re- record Better with the killer new Slash intro.

12 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Lol, no. That is one of the worst ideas ever.

A band with one album in 25 years should never even think about releasing another covers album. We've been listening to Better for almost a decade. Hearing Slash playing a new info on it is fun, but not a necessity. 

And why would we need an album with SCOM and PC on it? 99.99% of GnR fans already own Appetite and Illusions.

Dj, Dizzy, The Beta, Axl and several other people have talked about Axl having at least two more albums of material already finished. We know orchestra work had been done on unreleased songs. We know that other completed songs almost made CD.

So a covers, remix or greatest hits album is a total insult to GnR fans.

This band could easily release an album in a month. Give Slash and Duff the CD vault.  Let them pick their 10 favorites. 

Have Duff and Slash bring a batch of their songs to Axl and let him pick out his favorite 2-3.

Now you are starting an album, but the songs are already 90% finished.

Go tour for the next year  

And in 2018, release another GnR album. This one written from scratch by the reunited group  

But they don't seem to being doing that in readiness for the tour? 

So once they are on tour it's not going to happen. Then when tour ends Slash goes back to his solo

project and Axl to Angus. 

So I think the best we can hope for is some kind of live/remix/covers album as a stop gap. Like if you buy a ticket for the NFL tour you get a Live @ Troubadour cd or mixtape. 

8 hours ago, PITBOSS said:

A lot of people would still be bitching even if it was the afd5 "just a nostalgia band" "cash grab" "where's the new music" and that one guy would be " wtf where's dj ashba?" LOL. Whatever I'm still pretty stoked for what it is. Whole damn thing could implode and be over. People will be super pissed they missed one of these shows if that happened but they are too busy whining how it's not meeting their expectations to enjoy it. Sure a lot of thing could be better about the whole thing, but it's freaking amazing to see what we got so far. Never thought it was gonna happen.

hahahaha WTF where's is DJ Ashba!!!

well said

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Modano09 said:

You'd think so, but this is GNR, where you can't release a fart unless it's the best fart ever released.

That's not true. They released Chinese Democracy and that wasn't even close to the best fart ever. Or maybe it was.