Wouldn't now be a great time to drop a single?

15 minutes ago, wasted said:

Nope like I said before it's not necessarily exceptional it's just a way of working. The context of other artists means nothing to the process. Like I said there's an 80s high concept element to GNR, like MJ has a few albums. 

GNR are just more efficient they have a double Best of cd to rival anyone. I agree they do the miminum but they hit the mark. But maybe some of their material can match the greats or they are just smart business wise. So they end up on top. 

The Doors and Zepp have about the same amount of released music. So they have miniscule discography? To me it's more about impact or that is at least worth considering. Stryper has more records than the Sex pistols. What I'm saying is there's something to get from the way Axl does it. to take the time to get the right record pays off. 

By reinvent the wheel I mean reinvent GNR for each record like Bowie. The albums are clear statements, significantly different records. It takes time to get to that point. Other than that I don't know why Axl doesn't just release Izzy solo or Slash material under GNR. Maybe it's more the collab thing he puts stock in. This is what Axl sees as GNR. 

Don't Zepp and The Doors have smaller catalogs because of deaths to band members? 

And let's just look at Robert Plant. How many albums has he released since retiring Zepp? Didn't he win a Grammy a few years back?

So is that comparison really a fair one? Nobody in GnR died. Most of the band quit or got fired and Axl chose to keep the band - GnR - alive. With promises of a trilogy of albums, with having 80 songs finished, declaring ROUND ONE after the first comeback. 

Axl declared that CD would be released with a group of 10 b-sides as well as the full length album  and in a year GnR would do it again.

It would be one thing if Axl just disappeared and occasionally came back to replenish the band account with a tour. BUT that's not what he did. He has continually promised and talked about new music Since he decides to keep the GnR brand alive and not go solo or form a new band.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wasted said:

Nope like I said before it's not necessarily exceptional it's just a way of working. The context of other artists means nothing to the process. Like I said there's an 80s high concept element to GNR, like MJ has a few albums. 

GNR are just more efficient they have a double Best of cd to rival anyone. I agree they do the miminum but they hit the mark. But maybe some of their material can match the greats or they are just smart business wise. So they end up on top. 

The Doors and Zepp have about the same amount of released music. So they have miniscule discography? To me it's more about impact or that is at least worth considering. Stryper has more records than the Sex pistols. What I'm saying is there's something to get from the way Axl does it. to take the time to get the right record pays off. 

By reinvent the wheel I mean reinvent GNR for each record like Bowie. The albums are clear statements, significantly different records. It takes time to get to that point. Other than that I don't know why Axl doesn't just release Izzy solo or Slash material under GNR. Maybe it's more the collab thing he puts stock in. This is what Axl sees as GNR. 

In actual fact (old) GN'R were fairly prolific for their era: five studio albums, 1986 - 1993, that is about one album per 2.4 years.  In the exact same time span Metallica were releasing an album every 3.4 years. Even Michael Jackson released an album every 2.9 years (ten albums, 1972 - 2001).

Since Axl reemerged in 2001, he has released one album per sixteen years. It is a shocking statistic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In actual fact (old) GN'R were fairly prolific for their era: five studio albums, 1986 - 1993, that is about one album per 2.4 years.  In the exact same time span Metallica were releasing an album every 3.4 years. Even Michael Jackson released an album every 2.9 years (ten albums, 1972 - 2001).

Since Axl reemerged in 2001, he has released one album per sixteen years. It is a shocking statistic.

Shocking because Wasted praises Axl for "taking the time to get everything perfect." That's never actually happened. 

They put out a bunch of music in a five year period. Then Axl put out one album in the last 25 years. And nothing in the last seven. 

I like wasted. But man, does he ever try too hard to justify everything Axl does. 

If Bonham hadn't died then would Zepp had stopped putting out albums? If Morrison hadn't died, would we have more music with him on vocals? So the GnR comparison to them really has no relevance. 

Edited by Apollo

Just now, Apollo said:

Shocking because Wasted praises Axl for "taking the time to get everything perfect." That's never actually happened. 

They put out a bunch of music in a five year period. Then Axl out out one album in the last 25 years. And nothing in the last seven. 

I like wasted. But man, does he ever try too hard to justify everything Axl does. 

If Bonham hadn't died then would Zepp had stopped putting out albums? If Morrison hadn't died, would we have more music with him on vocals? So the GnR comparison to them really has no relevance. 

And as I said before, I do not see Queen and Floyd - people like Freddie Mercury and Roger Waters - any less perfectionist than W. Axl Rose and they assembled large discographies containing ambitious lavish masterpieces like Night at the Opera and The Wall!!

Brian May used to fine tune every single note of his guitar solos!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Don't Zepp and The Doors have smaller catalogs because of deaths to band members? 

And let's just look at Robert Plant. How many albums has he released since retiring Zepp? Didn't he win a Grammy a few years back?

So is that comparison really a fair one? Nobody in GnR died. Most of the band quit or got fired and Axl chose to keep the band - GnR - alive. With promises of a trilogy of albums, with having 80 songs finished, declaring ROUND ONE after the first comeback. 

Axl declared that CD would be released with a group of 10 b-sides as well as the full length album  and in a year GnR would do it again.

It would be one thing if Axl just disappeared and occasionally came back to replenish the band account with a tour. BUT that's not what he did. He has continually promised and talked about new music Since he decides to keep the GnR brand alive and not go solo or form a new band.

Band members dying doesn't mean much to the discography. Sex pistols have 1 record? I just don't see how important it is. But GNR had a few fuck ups too. 

In the end which is getting close they have the same amount of songs and both made a decent contribution to rock. It's not about what could have been. 

Especially when GNR kind of make these big statements. Whether it was UYI which basically lasted the 90s for me. Or CD that stands for the feud years. Or the reunion. It seems to capture the fans. They don't do ground invasions, they just do air strikes of army bases. 

Maybe Axl would have wanted to put out a little more material. Whether that would actually help I don't know. 

I agree there is an element we are getting worked by a different way of doing things. GNR has a lot of fireworks. Whether it's just Axl's way of doing things I don't know. When I look at UYI and CD they have a sort of event movie release. Axl wanted to release stuff but if it's not going to impact he pulled out. 

Either way they ended up at the same destination. Reunion island. 

Edited by wasted
Tub

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

Band members dying doesn't mean much to the discography. Sex pistols have 1 record? I just don't see how important it is. But GNR had a few fuck ups too. 

In the end which is getting close they have the same amount of songs and both made a decent contribution to rock. It's not about what could have been. 

Especially when GNR kind of make these big statements. Whether it was UYI which basically lasted the 90s for me. 

Maybe Axl would have wanted to put out a little more material. Whether that would actually help I don't know. 

I agree there is an element we are getting worked by a different way of doing things. GNR has a lot of fireworks. Whether it's just Axl's way of doing things I don't know. When I look at UYI and CD they have a sort of event movie release. Axl wanted to release stuff but if it's not going to impact he pulled out. 

Either way they ended up at the same destination. Reunion island. 

Death is important to band members catalogs when somebody tries to use output to compare those bands. It's unreasonable to justify Axl's lack of material by saying GnR has the same amount of songs as Led Zepp. Or the Doors. Because if JB hadn't died then Zepp would have kept putting out albums. 

And the fact that actual has continually promised and talked about releasing music and hasn't kept the promise....it just sours the taste. 

Axl is The Rock star of my generation. And GnR is The Rock Band of my youth. But defending their lack of musical output is just silly. 

All the classic members that left have shared multiple albums with their fans. Only one guy hasn't. 

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But it was effective. It's basically his Dangerous. It just tops up the fuel tank. 

Love/Hate probably have more records that GNR. So I think we have to look at other things other than the number of records. Whatever they did, it worked. 

4 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Death is important to band members catalogs when somebody tries to use output to compare those bands. It's unreasonable to justify Axl's lack of material by saying GnR has the same amount of songs as Led Zepp. Or the Doors. Because if JB hadn't died then Zepp would have kept putting out albums. 

And the fact that actual has continually promised and talked about releasing music and hasn't kept the promise....it just sours the taste. 

Axl is The Rock star of my generation. And GnR is The Rock Band of my youth. But defending their lack of musical output is just silly. 

All the classic members that left have shared multiple albums with their fans. Only one guy hasn't. 

At the finish line I've got a Best ofs and maybe a live show to see. That's what it comes down to. If what you are saying matters they wouldn't be selling out stadiums and everyone is hanging on the next GNR album. I may not know exactly why but it doesn't seem to matter. maybe less is more or you don't need giant discographies to be successful. Maybe a strong finish is all important. 

• Like 1

The Doors actually put out nine studio albums: six under Morrison, two post-Morrison and a posthumous Morrison album based around his poetry recordings.

Nine studio albums of original material to GN'R's paltry five, and they lost their singer after the sixth of those!!

Let's not forget the five live albums and a multitude of archival releases the Doors have also released. 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Doors actually put out nine studio albums: six under Morrison, two post-Morrison and a posthumous Morrison album based around his poetry recordings.

Nine studio albums of original material to GN'R's paltry five, and they lost their singer after the sixth of those!!

Let's not forget the five live albums and a multitude of archival releases the Doors have also released. 

But every artist is different and their output is different based on many factors true? just like there were/are prolific as fuck artists like Prince and Bucket, it makes sense that on the other side of the spectrum you'll have artists like Axl that just work differently for many reasons. It's not really important why. Could be they're lazy, not talented enough, perfectionists, obsessive, insecure, etc.

I mean it's not just artists and their output. It's people in general. Doesn't matter that The Doors had 9 albums. It really doesn't mean anything when you step inside Axl's world and how he does things. Every person/artist lives by their own rules based on their chosen approach.

There is no right way of doing it, it's art. What I mean by that is that nothing is guaranteed. Axl even talked about releasing more, next year with a bunch of new tunes, the whole life gets in the way thing. I believe he wanted to release more but in the end plans do change sometimes and even more important, you kinda revert back to your natural approach as an artist I think which is what Axl did with no consideration of time, just the quality of it and finding the right way to release it with the right conditions.

Edited by Rovim

Doors have 6 studio albums. I think there's two Poetry albums too. There's American prayer that I have and another one I didn't get. Hopefully Axl narrates Atlas Shrugged to music in his twilight years in Florida. 

It's a non starter for me. Guns have enough material out. There's enough for a great 2-cd Best of. 

I've forgotten what the point here is?

Axl should have released more records in the 00s to justify something? 

Maybe he just didn't have enough a songs he really wanted to put out? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

But every artist is different and their output is different based on many factors true? just like there were/are prolific as fuck artists like Prince and Bucket, it makes sense that on the other side of the spectrum you'll have artists like Axl that just work differently for many reasons. It's not really important why. Could be they're lazy, not talented enough, perfectionists, obsessive, insecure, etc.

I mean it's not just artists and their output. It's people in general. Doesn't matter that The Doors had 9 albums. It really doesn't mean anything when you step inside Axl's world and how he does things. Every person/artist lives by their own rules based on their chosen approach.

There is no right way of doing it, it's art. What I mean by that is that nothing is guaranteed. Axl even talked about releasing more, next year with a bunch of new tunes, the whole life gets in the way thing. I believe he wanted to release more but in the end plans do change sometimes and even more important, you kinda revert back to your natural approach as an artist I think which is what Axl did with no consideration of time, just the quality of it and finding the right way to release it with the right conditions.

I think it's the difference between songs and music, pop and rock. MJ has songs, Prince has music. 

Guns have a lot of songs but not a lot of music. MJ has all these songs he cared about but Prince it's more of spiritual thing through music. He kind of rejected that on Controversy. Axl is more of pop rock star. He embodies the songs and GNR. Slash is more like Prince in that he just wants to make music. Axl wants to present an image and lives through the music.

So Slash can say sure I like this collection of music I did. But Axl is wrestling with what it's saying, like  in the recent interview he's still trying to clear his name. He wants to be seen as righteous, standing up for what's right so he writes Madagascar. maybe with Slash and Izzy on board they could write faster, and more songs like on UYI. CD is a bit like a decade of Axl songs on UYI. 

Dead Horse

Shotgun Blues

Back Off Bitch

Yesterdays

My World

Breakdown

Estranged

is similar to the first 7 tracks on CD. 

Garden of Eden

Double Talking Jive

Don't Cry

Live N Let Die

Civil War

November Rain

Coma

Is side 2 of Use Your Democracy

CD II should be out in 2020.

Edited by wasted
Purrfect
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wasted said:

I think it's the difference between songs and music, pop and rock. MJ has songs, Prince has music. 

Guns have a lot of songs but not a lot of music. MJ has all these songs he cared about but Prince it's more of spiritual thing through music. He kind of rejected that on Controversy. Axl is more of pop rock star. He embodies the songs and GNR. Slash is more like Prince in that he just wants to make music. Axl wants to present an image and lives through the music.

So Slash can say sure I like this collection of music I did. But Axl is wrestling with what it's saying, like  in the recent interview he's still trying to clear his name. He wants to be seen as righteous, standing up for what's right so he writes Madagascar. maybe with Slash and Izzy on board they could write faster, and more songs like on UYI. CD is a bit like a decade of Axl songs on UYI. 

Dead Horse

Shotgun Blues

Back Off Bitch

Yesterdays

My World

Breakdown

Estranged

is similar to the first 7 tracks on CD. 

Garden of Eden

Double Talking Jive

Don't Cry

Live N Let Die

Civil War

November Rain

Coma

Is side 2 of Use Your Democracy

CD II should be out in 2020.

To be completely honest this thread and all the shit that happened recently with Guns kinda makes me wonder why I've felt it was so wrong of him to release just those 5 albums. I guess greed? but that's good.
I realize this can't be a popular opinion, but perhaps that's the price we pay for the quality and the timeless nature of it when it comes to Axl's music.

Still fuckin' sucks hard when for example you have CD ll ready to be consumed but it just seems wrong to bitch more about it when I think I understand the reasons of the delays and I won't accept something disposable.

He said he wants to release more music under the Guns umbrella and I think he has many songs in his hard drives. Good intentions. Maybe we'll get something more, I think from now on I'm just going to enjoy the Axl Rose show. Either progress or I've finally completely lost it.

Edited by Rovim

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

To be completely honest this thread and all the shit that happened recently with Guns kinda makes me wonder why I've felt it was so wrong of him to release just those 5 albums. I guess greed? but that's good.
I realize this can't be a popular opinion, but perhaps that's the price we pay for the quality and the timeless nature of it when it comes to Axl's music.

Still fuckin' sucks hard when for example you have CD ll ready to consume but it just seems wrong to bitch more about it when I think I understand the reasons of the delays and I won't accept something disposable.

He said he wants to release more music under the Guns umbrella and I think he has many songs in his hard drives. Good intentions. Maybe we'll get something more, I think from now on I'm just going to enjoy the Axl Rose show. Either progress or I've finally completely lost it.

Well, there is that feeling that you are getting worked. I think that's more the record company. They must have been onboard for the 2 cds with UYI and must have been thinking CD was building up nicely hype wise for a Wal mart deal. You either release 3 records that get moderate attention or one that makes it in People magazine. 

But really how many songs did Axl write and release in the 90s? 

So why do we expect him to release more than that in the 00s with a new line up of GNR? 

But yes is it a trick of the light? If you release 1 record a decade does it get more attention just because it's rare or is it actually worth the wait? 

For me, I haven't heard a record like CD, the production is so unique, I imagine it took ages to blend all the styles. I was listening to Better and it has a what is this quality? The blend is exotic. Most rock music sounds generic in comparison. I like Ratt and that can work, but the realisation of the creativity on CD seems unique. If I had to pick one rock album to take into space I'd take CD, it has so many styles and approaches. 

So I wouldn't be surprised if Axl works it for one more tour. The fans need to be made aware of tracks like IRS, Catcher, Madagascar, Shackler's, If The World, Sorry, Prostitute all need more exposure. 

• Like 1

Or people just wish their favorite singer had released more music in his career than 4.5 albums in 30 years. 

Especially when that singer has said he was going to release more. 

Its a perfectly natural feeling to want your favorite musician to share music with you. Their music is why you love them. 

The converation seemed to turn into a disagreement when somebody justified Axl's lack of output by comparing it to Led Zepp and The Doors. Whose output is directly related to band members dying!!!

Why hold Zepp's catalog (in terms of numbers) as the standard for GnR? How about comparing to bands that didn't disband over a death? Rolling Stones - 29 studio albums and 21 live albums. Aerosmith 15 studio, 5 live and 12 complications. Bon Jovi 14 studio, two live, 5 compilation. Metallica 9 studio, 4 live, 5 EP, 3 box set.