Wouldn't now be a great time to drop a single?

The promotion on this tour is obviously different than previous ones and management/AEG is way more capable, let me just say that. I don't know how well the shows are selling thus far for the NITL tour, but the buzz of the GnR reunion has definitely died down considerably since April. Most of the excitement was stifled by Axl's injury, and then the long break with Axl killing it in ACDC.

They can easily nullify that by releasing a single. Any new material to show fans that this is not a cash grab. Show the world you're ready to continue this brand with progression. I know it's nearly impossible for Slash & Duff to have recorded anything yet. Even if it's Bucket-era material, just release something to get people talking. How excited would you guys be with the exact same set from Vegas/Coachella except w/ Nice Boys, Madagascar, etc added in? 

I'm not trying to be a hater by the way, I paid ridiculous amount of money to fly to Vegas and see both nights. It's just hard to drum up enthusiasm if it's gonna be the exact same thing we saw in April. Look how fresh Axl singing 25 new (ACDC) songs was. Imagine just one new GnR song played live, it would surely excite the lot of us. What do you guys think?

Edited by GNR 1991
  • Like 2

A single when they don't even have an album?

If anything I could see a song for a summer blockbuster movie soundtrack. That would do wonders for the current tour and really boost sales. Just think about hearing a brand new gnr song written by those 3 on every rock radio left in America? However, we don't even know if Axl has been in the studio with them. My guess is he hasn't yet unless they were recording before Vegas and ACDC. I'm sure the rest of the guys have some ideas they've jammed on

32 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

The promotion on this tour is obviously different than previous ones and management/AEG is way more capable, let me just say that. I don't know how well the shows are selling thus far for the NITL tour, but the buzz of the GnR reunion has definitely died down considerably since April. Most of the excitement was stifled by Axl's injury, and then the long break with Axl killing it in ACDC.

They can easily nullify that by releasing a single. Any new material to show fans that this is not a cash grab. Show the world you're ready to continue this brand with progression. I know it's nearly impossible for Slash & Duff to have recorded anything yet. Even if it's Bucket-era material, just release something to get people talking. How excited would you guys be with the exact same set from Vegas/Coachella except w/ Nice Boys, Madagascar, etc added in? 

I'm not trying to be a hater by the way, I paid ridiculous amount of money to fly to Vegas and see both nights. It's just hard to drum up enthusiasm if it's gonna be the exact same thing we saw in April. Look how fresh Axl singing 25 new (ACDC) songs was. Imagine just one new GnR song played live, it would surely excite the lot of us. What do you guys think?

I think a single would be great....but reality is it'll be the same basic thing we saw in Vegas with a more mobile Axl.  

6 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I think a single would be great....but reality is it'll be the same basic thing we saw in Vegas with a more mobile Axl.  

If its basic and doesnt appeal to you then dont drop the big bucks on it and stay home. A lot of us are still very excited to see them live. There are way too many folks demeaning this return of 3 of the original 5 Guns N' Roses members playing together after 23 years. Its been said non-stop but its still crazy and borderline unbelievable. If your 2002-2015 self saw your current reaction to what is happening right now you'd probably kick yourself's ass. 

• Like 1

Just now, Inglorious said:

If its basic and doesnt appeal to you then dont drop the big bucks on it and stay home. A lot of us are still very excited to see them live. There are way too many folks demeaning this return of 3 of the original 5 Guns N' Roses members playing together after 23 years. Its been said non-stop but its still crazy and borderline unbelievable. If your 2002-2015 self saw your current reaction to what is happening right now you'd probably kick yourself's ass. 

I was replying to the original post...try reading it and then my reply in context.   Also, try educating yourself, I was at both Vegas shows and am going to Cincinnati (hint that info is noted in my sig).    

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I was replying to the original post...try reading it and then my reply in context.   Also, try educating yourself, I was at both Vegas shows and am going to Cincinnati (hint that info is noted in my sig).    

Ive read your posts. Im aware of all of that. It doesnt change the fact you said you were expecting "the same basic thing" youve seen before. To me that is akin to saying youre over it.

New material of any sorts would be great but I just don't see it happening.I kind of am wishing I didn't she'll out big bucks for Dodger Stadium show as well.Seen them in Vegas as well and 6 times during afd uyi years.Holding out hope for Izzy and or Adler appearance inject a little life into show .If not give or take a couple songs and a mobile Axl and u have basically the same show

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inglorious said:

Ive read your posts. Im aware of all of that. It doesnt change the fact you said you were expecting "the same basic thing" youve seen before. To me that is akin to saying youre over it.

Maybe now you are, clearly you weren't before based on what YOU said.  At any rate, it doesn't really matter if I'm over it or not or anyone else does it?  I mean to you?  If some dumbass like me is going to affect your excitment over all this, then maybe you're not really all that excited and you're looking for an excuse because you feel you should be?

If I'm no longer all that excited about it all...why does that matter to you?  I tell you what, I'll be super-excited so you're not butt hurt about it anymore, OK?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gt72 said:

New material of any sorts would be great but I just don't see it happening.I kind of am wishing I didn't she'll out big bucks for Dodger Stadium show as well.Seen them in Vegas as well and 6 times during afd uyi years.Holding out hope for Izzy and or Adler appearance inject a little life into show .If not give or take a couple songs and a mobile Axl and u have basically the same show

Don't call it basic though.....

2 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

a single would make this threeunion 3 or 4 times better

a single with izzy onboard would make it 18 times better

:headbang:

Agreed. It actually can be improved quite a bit...

On a side note, I think a single would be great. But as axl revealed at the Chinese Exchange, it's probably not too likely. What was it "soon is the word" I mean they've talked about it, slash and duff have heard some stuff and thought about recording parts on the Chinese leftovers... Idk it doesn't sound promising.

7 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Maybe now you are, clearly you weren't before based on what YOU said.  At any rate, it doesn't really matter if I'm over it or not or anyone else does it?  I mean to you?  If some dumbass like me is going to affect your excitment over all this, then maybe you're not really all that excited and you're looking for an excuse because you feel you should be?

If I'm no longer all that excited about it all...why does that matter to you?  I tell you what, I'll be super-excited so you're not butt hurt about it anymore, OK?

Just an observation buddy. Ive seen a lot of that lately and what I said wasnt 100% directed at you. I didnt intend to offend you, but clearly I did. My bad.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Agreed. It actually can be improved quite a bit...

On a side note, I think a single would be great. But as axl revealed at the Chinese Exchange, it's probably not too likely. What was it "soon is the word" I mean they've talked about it, slash and duff have heard some stuff and thought about recording parts on the Chinese leftovers... Idk it doesn't sound promising.

it really doesnt look promising

they could finish one of the axl ideas (or "learn" if the idea is already a finished song) so they can play it live

that would be really fast and they could add it to the show in no time

that should make axl happy and more open to create new stuff

then, after that,

they could write a brand new one with axl --say a real quick 3-chord rocker verse-bridge-chorus-solo bang!

(no one is asking for a new coma for now!)

if axl is not available to write, they could try and write it with the hired hands (without axl)

(that would actually be a good way for us to see if the hired hands can actually do any valid contribution to songwriting) 

write a simple song, show it to axl, so he puts lyrics and vocals fast and thats it -- one more new song

we could have two new songs in no time 

6 minutes ago, Inglorious said:

Just an observation buddy. Ive seen a lot of that lately and what I said wasnt 100% directed at you. I didnt intend to offend you, but clearly I did. My bad.

Alright, from that standpoint, I understand what you are saying.   We're good.  Here's the thing, I think.....on a forum like this with diehard fans, the band can almost do nothing right, even if it was the AFD 5 it would likely be ripped apart for whatever reason.  However, in a general sense, this regrouping is awesome.  But, in a place like this you have to expect that a lot of people would be a lot more excited about a true reunion than just a regrouping of 3 of the original 5 mixed in with hanger-ons (richard and frank specifically, Dizzy to a certain extent though he's been around since the Illusion records at least).    

• Like 1

New material is the only thing that makes me interested in the reunion but right now my hopes are pretty low.
Not only about they not releasing anything, but 'cause I dont thrust any of the big three anymore. Slash and Duff became generic rock creators on pretty much everything they did post 1995 and Axl is a hit or miss. 
I have no idea on what to expect and this is so frustrating, it hurts to be a Guns N' Roses fan.

• Like 1

Slash's work has been far from generic. From Snakepit to VR to Slash to SMKC. He is one of the few keeping rock alive and reaching the masses when others have failed in their efforts to become relevant again like Van Halen, Black Sabbath & Soundgarden. He never rode any wave and sold out to Electronica, Nu-Metal, Country pop or generic Nickelback rock to get played on radio and sell records. He's been doing it the same way since 1985. Even going back to recording in the same manner like live and to tape. No pro-tools since VR. Matter of fact that's one of the biggest reasons he couldn't wait to get out of VR. That and the fact Scott's producers didn't know how to record his guitars properly and Scott's erratic behavior of course. 

GN'R was a great band made up of the sum of its parts. They've released some great stuff individually primarily Slash and Izzy heck even Adler has his moments but it is best when they create together.

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Meh. 

That would be an awfully cruel way to honor Scott. RIP

What would be cruel about Axl singing Slither? If Scott wrote the lyrics his family would receive some of the profits I assume. It's a nod to Slash and Duff for their best work during the separation. Covering a song is not cruel it is an honor.

45 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It would be a great way to drum up interest and talk, although it could also be risky if the song isn't well-received.

GnR has released one album of original material in the last 25 years. 

Gnr's album release was eight years ago. 

Slash and Duff come back to the band.....

And people want their first release to be a cover?

WTF is wrong with you people?

• Like 1