All this talk about Slash and Duff working on CD era stuff, but...

23 minutes ago, maxpax said:

Its pretty obvious that slash and Duff already used these ideas in their albums ;)

Possibly. That's something I've always wondered. Izzy has no writing credits on Contraband so they probably didn't use any of his ideas. He played at Scott's wife's fashion show though. You Got No Right was part of the 2 song set, so maybe he had a hand in writing that. 

One of Slash, Duff or Matt said that the material they worked on with Izzy was the best GnR album since Appetite. Be interesting if that actually exists if it was something they could bring to the table.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Seriously! I have no desire to hear Slash and Duff's additions to CD era stuff.  Maybe a song or two but most of what I have heard from that era sucked... I would much rather hear Axl work on the album Izzy, Slash, Duff and Matt recorded. I bet the songs are much more complete and are more likely to sound like GnFnR...

conan-clapping.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself 

Edited by Good, Fuck'n, Night.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, maxpax said:

Its pretty obvious that slash and Duff already used these ideas in their albums ;)

I could be wrong but I thought at some point they had said that they haven't. That the album is in the vaults waiting.

15 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Seriously! I have no desire to hear Slash and Duff's additions to CD era stuff.  Maybe a song or two but most of what I have heard from that era sucked... I would much rather hear Axl work on the album Izzy, Slash, Duff and Matt recorded. I bet the songs are much more complete and are more likely to sound like GnFnR...

I think the point we are missing is "the songs". Axl wants to focus on melody and lyrics first. Those are the songs. The best songs are made like that. All the way back to AFD. So that comes first. But at the moment only Axl is really there to do that, the Izzy /Slash combo that was so great on AFD isn't there right now. The hits were written by Izzy and Axl. It's not enough to just have Slash and Duff playing, that's VR, not GNR for the most part, and even VR had Scott to pimp their ride. There are exceptions like Slither, Coma, Garden of Eden but they aren't close to being hits like Jungle, SCOM, Don't Cry, November Rain. Or even classics like Brownstone, Nightrain. To cut Axl's vocal melodies out in a band without Izzy is pretty suicidal. So I think CD vocal melodies and lyrics are a good place to start, they might have worked backwards on CD but if they are there now. Put it on blast. Slash didn't write all the riffs on AFD even, let alone melodies or lyrics, so what's the difference?

i think though Slash and Duff are vital to record, even if it's just for selected pivotal songs.  

• Like 1

But how do they fit post Libetadaterial to Axl's melodies/lyrics?

i see it more like the material they have that has lyrics and vocals can be reworked with Slash and Duff. Or they can work with Axl's new melodies/lyrics. Like Axl shows some rough demo to Slash and he works a riff around it, adds intro, solos etc. 

Doesn't seem like Axl wants to sing on Slash instrumentals for the most part. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 6:50 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I could be wrong but I thought at some point they had said that they haven't. That the album is in the vaults waiting.

Never heard that. I know they used a lot of the ideas on the first VR record. And I know there's a good few VR songs recorded that have never seen the light of day, BUT I really doubt Slash and Duff would be bringing in VR songs for discussion, because then they have to cut Matt and the Kush and Izzy a cheque... The material that I'd imagine we'll hear in the coming years (unspecified amount :P) will be the hybrid most expect. If we got anything from Axls interview it's that he doesn't really view this as a reunion, and that it's more of a continuation with old members coming back on board. He even suggested that Slash may or may not work on the songs that might come on the next release (which would be a mistake!).

Hybrid album whatever! I'd just like to hear new GnR music within the next year or year and a half.

Edited by Tom2112

On 6/23/2016 at 0:04 AM, wasted said:

The hits were written by Izzy and Axl. 

Not entirely true. For one, who came up with the iconic riff and solos to SCOM? HINT: Not Axl or Izzy.

They may have pushed Slash to help create and develop it, but that song doesn't exist at all w/o Slash and the lyrics/poem that Axl had written about Erin would likely still be in a sock drawer somewhere....

15 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Not entirely true. For one, who came up with the iconic riff and solos to SCOM? HINT: Not Axl or Izzy.

They may have pushed Slash to help create and develop it, but that song doesn't exist at all w/o Slash and the lyrics/poem that Axl had written about Erin would likely still be in a sock drawer somewhere....

But the song is Izzy's chords. I sort of believe the melody/lyrics are what makes them hits. Whether it's done with Slash like DC or like Patience. Or Taylor Swift does it. 

But Slash places them in rock and metal where they can sell more. Than say in punk rock n roll where Izzy puts his songs and it disappears. 

Slash is more about style than songs. But still that is or was important for Jungle, Scom, PC. 

After these shows the guys should just go into the recording studio for a few months and come up with all new songs entirely. 10-12 for the new album. This would be a great reconnecting and bonding experience for the band, instead of rererecording songs that are like 15-20 years old now. Maybe release those songs as a bonus or something. If that material was great, I'm sure we would've heard it by now. Slash is probably more interested in that instead of rerecording parts first done Finck, then Buckethead, then Bumblefoot, then DJ Ashba. Those songs are probably a mess now with parts from 3 decades. Wipe the slate clean, record brand new gnr music. Bring in Izzy if he is willing, though the lyrics to that new song he released "walking down the street" aren't much to write home about. 

12 minutes ago, doctor_brownstone said:

Scott Weiland wasn't a fan of the early material, and actually turned them down after they sent him their first demo tape.  He only agreed to come in when they sent a tape several months later with songs that later made it onto Contraband.  They're probably better off unreleased.

Scott Weiland was a alternative rock pussy. 
We need hillbilly rock n roll and not juvenille generic rock music like him and Dave Kushner wanted to do. 

Fuck contraband, I'd love to listen to that Bad Co. feel they were building at the time. Fuck Weiland and Kushner for turning rock n roll into juvnille pussy rock.

2 hours ago, wasted said:

But the song is Izzy's chords. I sort of believe the melody/lyrics are what makes them hits.

Well, I respectfully disagree. That riff is one of the most widely recognized in all of rock music. And it's played throughout the chorus. It is THE hook, along with that amazing solo and Axl's voice.

Edited by thunderram

1 hour ago, doctor_brownstone said:

Scott Weiland wasn't a fan of the early material, and actually turned them down after they sent him their first demo tape.  He only agreed to come in when they sent a tape several months later with songs that later made it onto Contraband.  They're probably better off unreleased.

He turned it down because he said it sounded too much like Guns N' Roses.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 10:28 AM, Tom-Ass said:

yes, izzy irrevocably needs to be back in the picture

7 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

yes, izzy irrevocably needs to be back in the picture

That would be incredible but I think they could still write decent stuff without him. I am just not interested in hearing any more CD era crap.. I heard that the CD songs are better with Slash on them and I tried to give them a chance but you really can't polish a turd.. Better is just so bad.. I really can't see what anyone actually likes about it.  Definitely one of the low lights of this reunion having to sit through that shit at $15 bucks a song.

I don't even know how fired up I am about new music with Axl in general.. His vocals have been good enough for this tour to work but they aren't really that solid in all honestly. His voice was one of the many flaws on CD.

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

That would be incredible but I think they could still write decent stuff without him. I am just not interested in hearing any more CD era crap.. I heard that the CD songs are better with Slash on them and I tried to give them a chance but you really can't polish a turd.. Better is just so bad.. I really can't see what anyone actually likes about it.  Definitely one of the low lights of this reunion having to sit through that shit at $15 bucks a song.

I don't even know how fired up I am about new music with Axl in general.. His vocals have been good enough for this tour to work but they aren't really that solid in all honestly. His voice was one of the many flaws on CD.

pretty pessimistic view point but albeit not that far from correct, axl's voice is better now than what it was in mid 2000's 

• Like 2