Ever notice the origin of the main riff/lick off Fall to Pieces?

I noticed this years ago and had forgotten about it...didn't remember it being brought up here and just remembered.  You guys ever notice that the main lead riff off Fall to Pieces (as well as the one that plays in the rhythm portion through the verses and intro) is the very last closing part of Patience?

5:45

Just thought it was sort of cool that Slash took basically that exact arpeggio (I think that's the right term) and turned it into a whole song.  :headbang:

It's just a very common lick, he played it multiple times with GNR but I really doubt he thought back then that it would end up as a song. 

I mean it's just like you pick up a guitar and try to jam alone for a while - there's always a moment when you strum Dsus4.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

It's just a very common lick, he played it multiple times with GNR but I really doubt he thought back then that it would end up as a song. 

I mean it's just like you pick up a guitar and try to jam alone for a while - there's always a moment when you strum Dsus4.

Definitely, but there's lots of ways to play an arpeggio of a certain chord or chord variation and he kinda plays it exact same at the end of Patience, IMO.

40 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Doesn't Fall To Pieces sort-of-draft melody can be heard in the Making Of Estranged video?

Yeah with Axl whistling in it too. It comes up right after a piano melody that sounds like an early take of This I Love, actually.

This is just something that happens to lot of guitar players, there is a little idea that comes in while jamming, lick or rhythm pattern or little piece of melody, sometimes it sticks, you use it here and there, come to like it and develop it into something more but meanwhile in the process you use bits before. it's something that was happening to me all the time when I was playing guitar and actively composing.  

I'd love to hear Axl's work on the basis of Fall To Pieces. He said it somewhere that Slash did it before leaving GNR and it was one of the things that were supposed to be on the next GNR record and Axl worked on it (if I remember correctly)

Edited by BatVin

5 hours ago, Gem Archer said:

that's back and forth again from slash's snakepit

My mistake. I must've confused the two songs for one another. It's been a while since I've heard either. I also haven't seen the Estranged doc in ages. Fall to Pieces does show up somewhere in that right?

On 6/25/2016 at 4:53 PM, BatVin said:

This is just something that happens to lot of guitar players, there is a little idea that comes in while jamming, lick or rhythm pattern or little piece of melody, sometimes it sticks, you use it here and there, come to like it and develop it into something more but meanwhile in the process you use bits before. it's something that was happening to me all the time when I was playing guitar and actively composing.  

I'd love to hear Axl's work on the basis of Fall To Pieces. He said it somewhere that Slash did it before leaving GNR and it was one of the things that were supposed to be on the next GNR record and Axl worked on it (if I remember correctly)

Yep.  Fall to Pieces was the last song Axl heard from Slash before they stopped talking, supposedly.  It was intended to be a G N' R song.  That's why I'd love to heard Axl's take on it at some point during the tour.