What amps were being used by Slash in Detroit?

I don't think a single one of the amps on stage was used. Amps on the stage of huge stadium shows are just for looks, behind the stage is where the main amp rig(s) are located, mic'd up. A lot of photos of Slash's amp rig were posted and it was also shown in the teaser videos, it's still the Silver Jubilees. 

Also, the loudspeaker cabinets on stage are actually screens for the stage visuals/videos :D that's kinda cool, but it shows that the onstage-amps are actually just for looks...

8 minutes ago, rocco said:

I don't think a single one of the amps on stage was used. Amps on the stage of huge stadium shows are just for looks, behind the stage is where the main amp rig(s) are located, mic'd up. A lot of photos of Slash's amp rig were posted and it was also shown in the teaser videos, it's still the Silver Jubilees. 

Also, the loudspeaker cabinets on stage are actually screens for the stage visuals/videos :D that's kinda cool, but it shows that the onstage-amps are actually just for looks...

I thought as much, it is weird that they choose to put Plexis up there given he hasn't used them for years. 

42 minutes ago, DocArunas said:

Shit gets thrown at the head and knocks it out in the middle of a song, would you want to risk that happening?

I doubt a bottle could knock an amp head off balance and if it did, Axl would stop everything anyway and at least threaten to go home, which would leave plenty of time for a switchover.

7 hours ago, rocco said:

Then what does he do to get the feedback effect without having working amps or cabs onstage? 
And I did notice him going towards them when he wanted feedback in a few videos.

On 25. Juni 2016 at 8:05 PM, 22frets said:

Then what does he do to get the feedback effect without having working amps or cabs onstage? 
And I did notice him going towards them when he wanted feedback in a few videos.

I don't know how the feedback works, probably it's just insanely loud and it happens 'automatically'? 

In the attached picture from the Detroit show you can see that the onstage 'cabs' really are screens, I find it funny how they even went as far as displaying images of the actual cabinets and speakers (including the Marshall Slash Girl Logo) on the screens before the show starts :D

In the video Slash posted on his Facebook page (from today's Washington gig) he walks off the stage and you can see his amp rig (including the Silver Jubilees and Slash Signature heads, which are essentially exact clones of the Silver Jubilees, AFAIK) and his guitars, so he definitely does not use any of the onstage stuff.

EDIT: I know how feedback works, I just don't know how he does it in this particular situation :D

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-26 um 22.55.28.png

Edited by rocco

5 hours ago, rocco said:

I don't know how the feedback works, probably it's just insanely loud and it happens 'automatically'? 

In the attached picture from the Detroit show you can see that the onstage 'cabs' really are screens, I find it funny how they even went as far as displaying images of the actual cabinets and speakers (including the Marshall Slash Girl Logo) on the screens before the show starts :D

In the video Slash posted on his Facebook page (from today's Washington gig) he walks off the stage and you can see his amp rig (including the Silver Jubilees and Slash Signature heads, which are essentially exact clones of the Silver Jubilees, AFAIK) and his guitars, so he definitely does not use any of the onstage stuff.

EDIT: I know how feedback works, I just don't know how he does it in this particular situation :D

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-26 um 22.55.28.png

Yeah, I did notice the cabs were screens while watching the livestream. And yeah, Slash usually doesn't have his actual amps onstage which I saw in an interview of his guitar tech.

But normally he has a few working cabs onstage for feedback though it seems to not be the case in this gig.

Edited by 22frets

Slash is using 6 jubilee heads from what I saw from his old guitar tech. He keeps its in the back in a rack 

Here's actually a video from Slash himself showing it briefly. Cameo of  Adam Day!

Edited by pugachev

It's worth noting that many bands these days rarely use their onstage rigs. Most of the time it's offstage. The main reason is that it keeps the sounds consistent from venue to venue for the front of house sound guys. This is especially imperative in stadiums where acoustics are never forgiving. The onstage acoustics will vary by venue, whereas the offstage acoustics are more controlled.

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

It's worth noting that many bands these days rarely use their onstage rigs. Most of the time it's offstage. The main reason is that it keeps the sounds consistent from venue to venue for the front of house sound guys. This is especially imperative in stadiums where acoustics are never forgiving. The onstage acoustics will vary by venue, whereas the offstage acoustics are more controlled.

Im not that tech of a person, but I always interested, so basically the amps which are on stage are just for the sake of it?

They have the real amps back staged which is mic'd up to the big speakers? or their instruments are directly connected to the big speakers and that's why they wear in ear monitors?

12 hours ago, 22frets said:

Yeah, I did notice the cabs were screens while watching the livestream. And yeah, Slash usually doesn't have his actual amps onstage which I saw in an interview of his guitar tech.

But normally he has a few working cabs onstage for feedback though it seems to not be the case in this gig.

You only need a monitor to get feedback.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Im not that tech of a person, but I always interested, so basically the amps which are on stage are just for the sake of it?

They have the real amps back staged which is mic'd up to the big speakers? or their instruments are directly connected to the big speakers and that's why they wear in ear monitors?

For the most part - yes. The stuff on stage is just for show. I can't say all bands are like that (Brian May, for example, still uses his same set-up including mic'd amps on stage), but it's becoming pretty common these days what with the more elaborate stage set-ups and desire for consistency between venues. That's talking arena and stadium shows - small theaters and clubs are probably still the usual way, but again, it depends on the band and crew.

Sometimes cabs are mic'd backstage (I assume Slash goes this route since he's pretty old school), other times the particular musicians's rig goes direct to the board. Geddy Lee doesn't even use traditional bass amps anymore - he goes direct to the house mix.

In-ear monitors (or front of stage monitors) can be used in either situation since amp cabinets on stage don't make the best or most forgiving judge of levels.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James Bond said:

For the most part - yes. The stuff on stage is just for show. I can't say all bands are like that (Brian May, for example, still uses his same set-up including mic'd amps on stage), but it's becoming pretty common these days what with the more elaborate stage set-ups and desire for consistency between venues. That's talking arena and stadium shows - small theaters and clubs are probably still the usual way, but again, it depends on the band and crew.

Sometimes cabs are mic'd backstage (I assume Slash goes this route since he's pretty old school), other times the particular musicians's rig goes direct to the board. Geddy Lee doesn't even use traditional bass amps anymore - he goes direct to the house mix.

In-ear monitors (or front of stage monitors) can be used in either situation since amp cabinets on stage don't make the best or most forgiving judge of levels.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Slash's solo shows are in smaller venues, so even that time his amps are on the stage, so that's just for the show? or is it for real? I guess I have seen them mic'd up on the stage, but im not sure.

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

Thanks for the detailed reply, Slash's solo shows are in smaller venues, so even that time his amps are on the stage, so that's just for the show? or is it for real? I guess I have seen them mic'd up on the stage, but im not sure.

I guess that would depend on the show. When I saw Slash do a tiny ass show at the Phoenix in Toronto back in 2012, it was the onstage amps.

But when you see something like Angus Young's wall of Marshall amps, those are most definitely for show. :lol:

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Yep, I also think Slash uses mic'd up cabinets. Recently I watched a Rig Rundown of Richard Fortus' stuff used in 2014 or something (def not NITL tour), he uses a combination of cabinet simulators that run directly into the house PA and traditional mic'd up cabinets. 

Whats also funny is that most bands nowadays (Slayer for example) have huge "walls" of Marshall cabinets on stage which are completely empty and "cut in half", so they basically just use the front of the cabinets, purely for looks :D This way, the roadies don't have to carry so much weight/speakers that, in the end, won't be used anyway...

Edit: ...and then you have GN'R, takin' it to the next level with f'n screens in their 'cabinets' :D haha so awesome

Edited by rocco

30 minutes ago, tajandreas said:

I was wondering about this as well. If you watched the performance yesterday, during Rocket Queen the little girl in the tophat was dancing during the song. I found that hilarious.

For real? Ahahaha, I gotta see this :D

Edit: Just watched it, though it would've been funnier if the girl just danced on the Marshall logo...

Still can't decide if I find the screen-cabinets funny or at least a bit ridiculous :D

Edited by rocco

Awesome :D one last post and I'll stop, but this is just too funny, these are Immortal's fake cabs AND amps (as if Immortal weren't ridiculous enough themselves :D)

But the most ridiculous thing is the inverted cab cross, hahaha

Immortal-fake-cabs-604x453.jpg

tumblr_ma5rnwgo0V1qjf67mo1_500.jpg