Guns n Roses for Glastonbury?

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yeah, Download is ten minutes from my house :lol: 

Seriously though, a massive majority of regular Download goers want gnr to play. ive been reading their forum, they have been following gnr since April 1st and know what to expect. It would go well. Better than trying to win round a half crowd that won't want you there. 

That's lucky living so close, I'm near Knebworth so that would be ideal too.I won't have to pay either as I can get in free with my job!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is not 'hate' but merely a recognition of the fact that Glastonbury is not a GN'R crowd.

But it is. Muse is heavy (in different way than GnR :lol: ) last year Foo Fighters (canceled but still booked) year before Metallica, Rolling Stones in 2013. It's not like Glastonbury does't have rock and that's just headliners + GnR has enough hits to entertain the masses

Edited by Nicklord

38 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

But it is. Muse is heavy (in different way than GnR :lol: ) last year Foo Fighters (canceled but still booked) year before Metallica, Rolling Stones in 2013. It's not like Glastonbury does't have rock and that's just headliners + GnR has enough hits to entertain the masses

How is it hate? I'm sure Glastonbury is a wonderful experience on the festival itinerary (I do not like festivals so I'm neutral but if you do like festivals, Glastonbury is apparently the one to plump for).

I think most would acknowledge the Stones not being a 'Glastonbury band', which is why it took until 2013 for them to play the thing - same with Metallica. So yes, it is plausible that Guns could headline, just as they played Coachella. But they are still not a Glastonbury act and will not necessarily be playing to a Guns N' Roses crowd (as at Coachella) if they so decide to play Glastonbury.

Glastonbury do not like red necky, sexist, hair bands.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How is it hate? I'm sure Glastonbury is a wonderful experience on the festival itinerary (I do not like festivals so I'm neutral but if you do like festivals, Glastonbury is apparently the one to plump for).

I think most would acknowledge the Stones not being a 'Glastonbury band', which is why it took until 2013 for them to play the thing - same with Metallica. So yes, it is plausible that Guns could headline, just as they played Coachella. But they are still not a Glastonbury act and will not necessarily be playing to a Guns N' Roses crowd (as at Coachella) if they so decide to play Glastonbury.

Glastonbury do not like red necky, sexist, hair bands.

Yeah, hate was a wrong word but to use but I am going to argue that GnR are Glastonbury band. 

The Rolling Stones had the biggest crowd ever in a history of Glastonbury in 2013 and they didn't book them before because they are expensive as fuck not because they are not a Glastonbury band. Slash played there in 2010 and got good reception playing songs from that red necky, sexist, hair band.

23 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Yeah, hate was a wrong word but to use but I am going to argue that GnR are Glastonbury band. 

The Rolling Stones had the biggest crowd ever in a history of Glastonbury in 2013 and they didn't book them before because they are expensive as fuck not because they are not a Glastonbury band. Slash played there in 2010 and got good reception playing songs from that red necky, sexist, hair band.

I disagree but fair enough.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

Uk stadium tour please I festival gig won't be enough for the UK fans

All 3 Glastonbury headliners this year had huuuge UK tours before Glastonbury but 0 of Download headliners had, their tours are all next year.

Edited by Nicklord

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Oh, I definitely agree Glastonbury is probably not a great chocie for GnR....but if the money is enough, I'm sure they'd do it.  I've said all along they would headline Download for sure next year.  

That's a funny thing.  In terms of overall dollar amount, I believe Glastonbury pays their headliners cheaper than what Download headliners would get paid (like Glastonbury pays like $250,000 compared to say probably $1 million+), but the fact that Glastonbury gets broadcasted on the BBC and have live streams and that they always sell-out the festival before the line-up gets announced, means that, allegedly, the exposure the headliners would get could outweigh the overall fee for the festival appearance than if they were going to play at another festival in the UK.

For people outside the UK. The reason I oppose Glastonbury for Guns is its such a diverse festival covering many different genres of music & art forms. Where as Donington ( I don't like it being called Download)   is specifically a heavy metal/rock festival catering for a heavy metal/rock audience. So if it has to be a festival let it be Donington as I've said previous my preferred option would be a UK stadium tour.

As said they will take a pay cut they dont like paying out £££££€€€$$$$ if they did do it.

I can confirm 100% that they know who is headliners for next year my mate bumped in to Mr Evis in Bristol Xmas time at a concert they got chatting he even got 6 tixs for wknd just gone my m8 went he said ColdPlay was amazing and he doesn't really like them

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

They've known since 2015 who their headliners for 2016 and 2017 would be, Eavis said so in an interview.

So unless he knew about gnr reforming way before anyone else I'm going to remain hopeful it's not them. 

The thing is this reformation been going on a lot longer than any of us have been allowed to know about. As I said in a previous topic they've had to be working on this for roughly 18 months the stage show would have had to be planned built & safety checked stadiums would have had to be booked well in advance to co-ordinate with the police etc. This reformation hasn't just happened overnight it's been planned for quite a while & maybes Mr Eavis has known about it.

2 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

The thing is this reformation been going on a lot longer than any of us have been allowed to know about. As I said in a previous topic they've had to be working on this for roughly 18 months the stage show would have had to be planned built & safety checked stadiums would have had to be booked well in advance to co-ordinate with the police etc. This reformation hasn't just happened overnight it's been planned for quite a while & maybes Mr Eavis has known about it.

I don't know if in 2015 they would have been at the point of letting a farmer in Somerset know they were reforming. Maybe, seeing as Coachella was already in the bag as soon as they were ready to go in 2016. I'm just hoping not! 

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I don't know if in 2015 they would have been at the point of letting a farmer in Somerset know they were reforming. Maybe, seeing as Coachella was already in the bag as soon as they were ready to go in 2016. I'm just hoping not! 

I don't know anymore than you know but you must admit the time lines seem to fit together seeing as there's to be European dates in 2017. IF it's got to be a UK festival surely it'll be Donington 

• Like 1

I'd prefer Glastonbury as its gets much better coverage, would be useful for winning over fans due to the diversity of the crowd and tv audience. I'm confident Guns could put on a show to please, of course they could! Who wants Guns to be sidelined at a Metal festival?

If they play Glastonbury we may well see Axl do one of his once famous walk-offs "Thanks to the lame ass crowd etc etc"  it'll be  comparable to Coachella the band will play well but they'll get very little feedback from the majority of the audience who'll probably singalong to SCOM & PC but will be deadly silent for Estranged or Coma anyway one more time Glastonbury IS NOT a rock festival Donington is but a stadium tour is preferred.