Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

19 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Who knows, the one that the Ebay seller is selling might be the only one he bought at the venue :shrugs:

The Kobe Samurai lithos that I'm selling privately for my friends are the only ones my friends bought. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but friends of my friend came from the US for the Japan tour and they each bought one litho for themselves with the original intent to take them back home with them. But then when they saw that selling one litho on the resale market might cover their ticket costs, well it was a nobrainer to them to sell. Even though they only bought one each, if selling it means they cover their expenses... well, I don't blame them :shrugs:

Ah, well if you put it like that. It's a bloody good idea. Damn I should have bought more tickets 

19 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Who knows, the one that the Ebay seller is selling might be the only one he bought at the venue :shrugs:

The Kobe Samurai lithos that I'm selling privately for my friends are the only ones my friends bought. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but friends of my friend came from the US for the Japan tour and they each bought one litho for themselves with the original intent to take them back home with them. But then when they saw that selling one litho on the resale market might cover their ticket costs, well it was a nobrainer to them to sell. Even though they only bought one each, if selling it means they cover their expenses... well, I don't blame them :shrugs:

So... do you have a Kobe and/or Osaka print (s) to sell? ;-)

As long as people know it's a "fake" I don't see the problem.  GNR aren't losing any money cause all the stock was sold out instantly.

I have a gorgeous reproduction of the original "Revenge of the Jedi" poster in my room cause I knew I could never afford the real thing.  And I'm OK with it...I never try to pass it off as an original!

5 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

Someone mentioned, south americans dont spend lots of money on merch. So that might be why none were offered.

Yes, that was my suspicion too. It makes sense but it's still a shame.

4 hours ago, Royalh13 said:

So... do you have a Kobe and/or Osaka print (s) to sell? ;-)

Short answer is yes. Long answer is - Friends of friends from the US went to all the GnR Japan shows. Based a whole trip to Japan around it. They all bought lithos and were going to take them back with them to the US but when they saw how much the Kobe was going for, they left them with me in Japan to see if they could offload them for a profit. The plane ticket to Japan wasn't cheap I imagine and neither were the show tickets so their thinking was that if the Kobe litho is drawing so much money that they could offset their ticket costs by selling them, then why the hell not? So I was holding their five Kobes and I'm down to three. When I get an offer (and I'm guessing I've received at least 30+ offers so far), all I do is forward the offers to them and they say yay or nay. FYI, the two Kobes that have already sold went for 1100 and 1200 bucks! At least half of the offers I've received were for 500-ish and they've knocked them all back. So... yes I have Kobe's but they're expensive and I unfortunately don't dictate the price. If you want to make an offer, let me know but I doubt they'll go cheap. Especially with all of the Europe and North America leg to go, I think they can be very selective with their pricing :shrugs: You just know popularity will increase once the European fans and North American fans get interested and also have lithos to trade.

Secretly... I do have an Osaka litho for trade. Osaka is the show I went to and I bought several for the strict purpose of trading with other people on the forum for the other Japan shows. Thanks to @liqddynamite and @serendipity and @Nalbi for being such pleasures to deal with, by the way. I'm holding on to a spare Osaka because I've been bitten by this stupid litho fever and I'm banking on their being at least a good Euro or American litho I will probably want to try to trade for. As much as possible, I'd rather trade and not sell because I'm not worried about the cash and don't like the idea of fleecing fellow genuine fans, but I think we can all agree that the lithos do have a value to them that is above the sticker price and sometimes having a litho has more pulling power than straight cash - so selling is not out of the question.

8 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

As long as people know it's a "fake" I don't see the problem.  GNR aren't losing any money cause all the stock was sold out instantly.

I have a gorgeous reproduction of the original "Revenge of the Jedi" poster in my room cause I knew I could never afford the real thing.  And I'm OK with it...I never try to pass it off as an original!

Yeah, I agree with this in principle. Like I said earlier, I would not be disappointed having an official reprint if GnR hypothetically sold reprints. For example, if the artwork is the same but it had REPRINT written in giant letters on the back or something. I love the artwork and I'm not really concerned with having "one of xxx limited edition" - Just give me a copy! Personal reproductions I think are okay as long as they're done properly (not like those shitty shirts on Ebay from Indonesia and Malaysia) and people aren't trying to pass them off as originals. BUUUUT we know the world is full of douchebags and people passing off fakes is a concern.

In fact, after collecting so many lithos from different parts of the world from this tour, I am VERY surprised in the variance in quality of the lithos. At first I noticed that although most lithos are 18x24, the two Saitama "dragon" designs were smaller than the rest for no apparent reason. They're the same 24" length but they're probably only 16" wide. I thought that was the only variance but then I noticed that the paper thickness and texture varied too. I'm guessing they got multiple companies to fulfill their print merch order? Who knows.

Secondly, I noticed that the lithos from Australia/NZ had a different paper quality and thickness. And same with the North American lithos - those are thick as hell! Definitely used different stock. I'm not complaining about the variance in terms of the product - obviously it's kinda hard to get a hundred different litho designs printed from one place for an international tour. But it did make my heart skip a beat the first time I noticed the difference. I thought I might have been scammed! But the more lithos I got and the more I compared them to others, the more I realized how much they can vary. CLIFF NOTES - Litho collecting is tough! :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

Short answer is yes. Long answer is - Friends of friends from the US went to all the GnR Japan shows. Based a whole trip to Japan around it. They all bought lithos and were going to take them back with them to the US but when they saw how much the Kobe was going for, they left them with me in Japan to see if they could offload them for a profit. The plane ticket to Japan wasn't cheap I imagine and neither were the show tickets so their thinking was that if the Kobe litho is drawing so much money that they could offset their ticket costs by selling them, then why the hell not? So I was holding their five Kobes and I'm down to three. When I get an offer (and I'm guessing I've received at least 30+ offers so far), all I do is forward the offers to them and they say yay or nay. FYI, the two Kobes that have already sold went for 1100 and 1200 bucks! At least half of the offers I've received were for 500-ish and they've knocked them all back. So... yes I have Kobe's but they're expensive and I unfortunately don't dictate the price. If you want to make an offer, let me know but I doubt they'll go cheap. Especially with all of the Europe and North America leg to go, I think they can be very selective with their pricing :shrugs: You just know popularity will increase once the European fans and North American fans get interested and also have lithos to trade.

Secretly... I do have an Osaka litho for trade. Osaka is the show I went to and I bought several for the strict purpose of trading with other people on the forum for the other Japan shows. Thanks to @liqddynamite and @serendipity and @Nalbi for being such pleasures to deal with, by the way. I'm holding on to a spare Osaka because I've been bitten by this stupid litho fever and I'm banking on their being at least a good Euro or American litho I will probably want to try to trade for. As much as possible, I'd rather trade and not sell because I'm not worried about the cash and don't like the idea of fleecing fellow genuine fans, but I think we can all agree that the lithos do have a value to them that is above the sticker price and sometimes having a litho has more pulling power than straight cash - so selling is not out of the question.

Yeah, I agree with this in principle. Like I said earlier, I would not be disappointed having an official reprint if GnR hypothetically sold reprints. For example, if the artwork is the same but it had REPRINT written in giant letters on the back or something. I love the artwork and I'm not really concerned with having "one of xxx limited edition" - Just give me a copy! Personal reproductions I think are okay as long as they're done properly (not like those shitty shirts on Ebay from Indonesia and Malaysia) and people aren't trying to pass them off as originals. BUUUUT we know the world is full of douchebags and people passing off fakes is a concern.

In fact, after collecting so many lithos from different parts of the world from this tour, I am VERY surprised in the variance in quality of the lithos. At first I noticed that although most lithos are 18x24, the two Saitama "dragon" designs were smaller than the rest for no apparent reason. They're the same 24" length but they're probably only 16" wide. I thought that was the only variance but then I noticed that the paper thickness and texture varied too. I'm guessing they got multiple companies to fulfill their print merch order? Who knows.

Secondly, I noticed that the lithos from Australia/NZ had a different paper quality and thickness. And same with the North American lithos - those are thick as hell! Definitely used different stock. I'm not complaining about the variance in terms of the product - obviously it's kinda hard to get a hundred different litho designs printed from one place for an international tour. But it did make my heart skip a beat the first time I noticed the difference. I thought I might have been scammed! But the more lithos I got and the more I compared them to others, the more I realized how much they can vary. CLIFF NOTES - Litho collecting is tough! :lol:

Interesting! I have one of the dragon lithos and it does feel smaller than my others. Haven't framed it or compared it. Wonder where I can find a frame now...

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Interesting! I have one of the dragon lithos and it does feel smaller than my others. Haven't framed it or compared it. Wonder where I can find a frame now...

You know, the freaky thing is... I've seen pics of a dragon litho which I am 99.999% certain is authentic - and it looked to be the EXACT same size as the other Japan lithos. I have no reason to believe it was a fake, but if it's real then that means that even with a single litho design, it's possible for GnR to vary in paper thickness, paper quality AND size. It's madness! :lol: I have a friend who collects Dave Matthews Band lithos and I know he has very few problems collecting them because they're all made by the same design and print studio. It also helps that 99% of DMB shows are domestic shows and they don't have to worry about finding multiple printers in multiple countries :P

1 minute ago, amaninjapan said:

You know, the freaky thing is... I've seen pics of a dragon litho which I am 99.999% certain is authentic - and it looked to be the EXACT same size as the other Japan lithos. I have no reason to believe it was a fake, but if it's real then that means that even with a single litho design, it's possible for GnR to vary in paper thickness, paper quality AND size. It's madness! :lol: I have a friend who collects Dave Matthews Band lithos and I know he has very few problems collecting them because they're all made by the same design and print studio. It also helps that 99% of DMB shows are domestic shows and they don't have to worry about finding multiple printers in multiple countries :P

I'll compare the sizes this weekend! I am stalling framing them since I may move out in a few months. I have the Vegas ones, Detroit, and Chicago 2 up while my San Diego and Tokyo ones are rolled up

13 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I'll compare the sizes this weekend! I am stalling framing them since I may move out in a few months. I have the Vegas ones, Detroit, and Chicago 2 up while my San Diego and Tokyo ones are rolled up

I don't have room for them framed at the moment so they're in a professional art Profolio. Plus I kinda feel like it's pointless buying frames until I know how many I will need haha. I want my frames to match so I'll wait until the tour is over before buying.

The 18x24" frames are impossible to find in Australia. But after talking to a framing shop, they've told me how framing them yourself lets the humidity get between the image and the glass which will ruin them in time.  Unfortunately framing professionally is minimum $130 each with the right spacers and stuff. Might take me a few months to get them all framed.

but fair warning to anyone living in humid areas (like I do)

6 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

The 18x24" frames are impossible to find in Australia. But after talking to a framing shop, they've told me how framing them yourself lets the humidity get between the image and the glass which will ruin them in time.  Unfortunately framing professionally is minimum $130 each with the right spacers and stuff. Might take me a few months to get them all framed.

but fair warning to anyone living in humid areas (like I do)

That's mostly bullshit. Yes, humidity can get into frames but unless the store is using a vacuum seal and sealing those frames airtight, then it's going to happen to a $130 custom frame too. If the inside of your home fluctuates in humidity that much (which I doubt it does unless you live in a bungalow or always have your windows and doors open or something - even people who live in humid areas tend to do enough to minimize humidity fluctuations INSIDE their homes to make it, you know, bearable to live in), then you're better off spending that $130 on a dehumidifier for whatever room you're hanging them in.

It honestly makes no sense to custom-frame something that is a standard size (eg, 18x24 or A3 or A2 etc) unless you want to choose your own frame design.

5 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

That's mostly bullshit. Yes, humidity can get into frames but unless the store is using a vacuum seal and sealing those frames airtight, then it's going to happen to a $130 custom frame too. If the inside of your home fluctuates in humidity that much (which I doubt it does unless you live in a bungalow or always have your windows and doors open or something - even people who live in humid areas tend to do enough to minimize humidity fluctuations INSIDE their homes to make it, you know, bearable to live in), then you're better off spending that $130 on a dehumidifier for whatever room you're hanging them in.

It honestly makes no sense to custom-frame something that is a standard size (eg, 18x24 or A3 or A2 etc) unless you want to choose your own frame design.

Fair enough, that's your opinion, however 18x24 is in no way a standard size in Australia. There is literally one place in Australia selling them online, $32 plus $15 freight and its crap quality

12 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Fair enough, that's your opinion, however 18x24 is in no way a standard size in Australia. There is literally one place in Australia selling them online, $32 plus $15 freight and its crap quality

I said it's a standard size, not a common size. As in, companies actually mass-produce frames in that size as opposed to say, trying to find a mass-produced frame in size 11.554cm x 2100.1cm

Obviously inch-based sizes are going to be less common in a country like Australia which uses metric. But depending on how many you need, I'm almost certain it'll be cheaper to buy them in bulk from the US. They're like $30 or $40 each on Ebay and Amazon and even if you had to double the price to ship them to Australia (which becomes less of a factor the more you buy), you're still gonna save yourself 30-40%.

My main point wasn't really anti-custom-framing, it was anti-humidityproofing-hype. Even if you did end up going through your local framer and getting it custom framed, be aware that getting a custom frame isn't going to protect you as much as they lead you to believe. Unless they're willing to insure your lithographs for the next 10 or 20 years, then their claims are worthless. Paper manufacturers make claims about the display life of their paper for photography - eg, Fuji Crystal Archive has a guaranteed display life of 5 to 60 years depending on type and if the print deteriorates or fades in that time, they will replace it for free. If you wake up one morning two or three years from now and see your lithographs are damp and wrinkled because of humidity, the framer isn't going to be able to do shit. And let's just say they DID have a guarantee - how are they going to replace a limited edition lithograph? I know I sound like I'm complaining like an asshole, but I just get really concerned about items that aren't easily replace :wacko: I know that if I damage my Playstation controller or scratch my Ikea table then I can just go out and get another one. Limited edition items like these lithos aren't ever coming around again - so you gotta treasure them ;) If humidity is something you need to worry about then even with a custom frame, I would look at buying a dehumidifier anyway.

8 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

I said it's a standard size, not a common size. As in, companies actually mass-produce frames in that size as opposed to say, trying to find a mass-produced frame in size 11.554cm x 2100.1cm

Obviously inch-based sizes are going to be less common in a country like Australia which uses metric. But depending on how many you need, I'm almost certain it'll be cheaper to buy them in bulk from the US. They're like $30 or $40 each on Ebay and Amazon and even if you had to double the price to ship them to Australia (which becomes less of a factor the more you buy), you're still gonna save yourself 30-40%.

My main point wasn't really anti-custom-framing, it was anti-humidityproofing-hype. Even if you did end up going through your local framer and getting it custom framed, be aware that getting a custom frame isn't going to protect you as much as they lead you to believe. Unless they're willing to insure your lithographs for the next 10 or 20 years, then their claims are worthless. Paper manufacturers make claims about the display life of their paper for photography - eg, Fuji Crystal Archive has a guaranteed display life of 5 to 60 years depending on type and if the print deteriorates or fades in that time, they will replace it for free. If you wake up one morning two or three years from now and see your lithographs are damp and wrinkled because of humidity, the framer isn't going to be able to do shit. And let's just say they DID have a guarantee - how are they going to replace a limited edition lithograph? I know I sound like I'm complaining like an asshole, but I just get really concerned about items that aren't easily replace :wacko: I know that if I damage my Playstation controller or scratch my Ikea table then I can just go out and get another one. Limited edition items like these lithos aren't ever coming around again - so you gotta treasure them ;) If humidity is something you need to worry about then even with a custom frame, I would look at buying a dehumidifier anyway.

Gotcha ?

2 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

I have every US litho and the paper quality is definitely different between some of them. for example, the New Orleans litho is on thinner weight paper that almost feels like standard poster paper, maybe slightly heavier.  Probably due to the use of the glow in the dark ink.

The 2 dragon lithos from Japan are definitely not as wide as the standard 18" width that most other prints are. I have both versions and they're both not as wide.I do have some US prints listed for trade here, so let me.knownif anything strikes your fancy.

9 minutes ago, Royalh13 said:

I have every US litho and the paper quality is definitely different between some of them. for example, the New Orleans litho is on thinner weight paper that almost feels like standard poster paper, maybe slightly heavier.  Probably due to the use of the glow in the dark ink.

The 2 dragon lithos from Japan are definitely not as wide as the standard 18" width that most other prints are. I have both versions and they're both not as wide.I do have some US prints listed for trade here, so let me.knownif anything strikes your fancy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has small dragon lithos :lol:

I think I'm good with all the current US prints... but once the tour rolls back around stateside, I'm sure there will be at least one good design and if I need to source one, I'll be sure to hit you up :headbang:

Anyone else curious as to why there are  no bids for the Kobe litho on ebay right now? I know the starting bid is $500 but if people were spending over $1000 I'm surprised not even one person has jumped at this.

There's only 1 day left in the auction, and there were over 30 bids for that Kobe poster that appeared on ebay a few weeks ago and that wasn't even numbered.

20 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Anyone else curious as to why there are  no bids for the Kobe litho on ebay right now? I know the starting bid is $500 but if people were spending over $1000 I'm surprised not even one person has jumped at this.

There's only 1 day left in the auction, and there were over 30 bids for that Kobe poster that appeared on ebay a few weeks ago and that wasn't even numbered.

Great question. I have been following that auction and i was wondering the same thing. Maybe everybody who has a strong desire for the litho has already purchased one. I'm sure one day one will pop up on eBay for 200$. there is interest now, but in a couple of years nobody will care and somebody who has one will need some quick cash.

hmm... it's not bad. not great though.

not a must-have for me but i'm sure some will like it. seems to suffer from the same problem as the singapore design for me - no GnR logo.

for me, no logo just makes it feel like it could almost be a tourism campaign poster. scrub out guns n roses and replace it with "VISIT DUBAI!"