Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

13 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Am I the only person that gets a distinct "Dave Matthews Band" vibe from the Bilbao design?

It's a beautiful design but definitely isn't my style... doesn't strike me as a GnR poster.

I googled some DMB lithos and I disagree. It has the GNR imagery and is quite beautiful compared to the other lithos, espically the more recent ones. But, I do believe it hints at shift in direction for the European lithos. It appears new artists will be contracted and that is is cool.

13 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Am I the only person that gets a distinct "Dave Matthews Band" vibe from the Bilbao design?

It's a beautiful design but definitely isn't my style... doesn't strike me as a GnR poster.

I googled some DMB lithos and I disagree. It has the GNR imagery and is quite beautiful compared to the other lithos, espically the more recent ones. But, I do believe it hints at shift in direction for the European lithos. It appears new artists will be contracted and that is is cool.

6 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I just added the April Fools secret reunion show litho to my collection. I don't remember seeing it pop on on ebay too many times. Can anyone speak on the rarity of this one in comparison to some of the others from the North American tour?

My friend got his from Ebay a month or two after the tour started for a good price. Numbers might suggest it's fairly uncommon but not in comparison to say, some of the Australian lithos that were apparently only 1/100. But I bet people are a lot less willing to let go of an April Fools litho than say, the Adelaide "shark hoodie" design or the Perth spider design haha. The only redeeming feature of the Perth spider design is that it's got that metallic print on it. Still never going to crack my top 10 or top 20 designs but at least it's not the Adelaide "what the fuck is that, who the fuck is that red hair" design :lol:

7 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

My friend got his from Ebay a month or two after the tour started for a good price. Numbers might suggest it's fairly uncommon but not in comparison to say, some of the Australian lithos that were apparently only 1/100. But I bet people are a lot less willing to let go of an April Fools litho than say, the Adelaide "shark hoodie" design or the Perth spider design haha. The only redeeming feature of the Perth spider design is that it's got that metallic print on it. Still never going to crack my top 10 or top 20 designs but at least it's not the Adelaide "what the fuck is that, who the fuck is that red hair" design :lol:

Yeah I don't really care for the design at all I just figured it being the first one other was worth having.

As far as scarcity, have you seen it listed before? I can't remember it popping up on ebay.

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

Yeah I don't really care for the design at all I just figured it being the first one other was worth having.

As far as scarcity, have you seen it listed before? I can't remember it popping up on ebay.

Are you talking about the "I was there" litho?

3 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I personally haven't but my buddy has because that's where he got his.

40 minutes ago, SydneyGnR said:

I dont think i have seen any that are the first 20 or less.

Does anyone have Number 1 of anything?

I think I know the reason for this. I was able to buy one of the rare Australian lithos (one of the 1-of-100 lithos) and the guy told me a story about when he bought it.

He was one of the first few people at the front of the line for merchandise and when he asked for three lithos, the girl at the merch tent hesitated. She didn't really want to sell three of them to one person because she said there were only 100 made and "the band took the first 30", which obviously only left 70 for the thousand and thousands of people attending the show. Now I don't know about anybody else but this makes sense to me. It's probably the reason why I've never seen any of the lower numbered lithos. The lowest numbered litho I have is 034.

I was one of the first people in the "regular" line in Yokohama.   After the VIP people bought what they wanted I think I ended up with number 60 something.  Out of 250?

I also talked to two guys in the lighting crew and they said they can get all the merch they want, but didn't elaborate on if they get first dibs or anything.

35 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Jesus if that's true of the crew about grabing 30 [which sounds reasonable] I'm surprised we've even seen as many show up on the secondary market in those low printings  [250 and below]

That's provided the crew even cares to purchase the lithos. I seriously doubt they give a shit.

I own a lot of lithos and have looked at hundreds of ebay auctions for them.  I've never even seen a picture of a litho with a number inside the top 30, the lowest I've seen is my Houston #39/300.  I think its very safe to say that the crew and friends/family of the band gets first dibs, or something like that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That's provided the crew even cares to purchase the lithos. I seriously doubt they give a shit.

I should elaborate the difference between crew and band. At least for the story I was told anyway, I was talking about Axl, Slash etc and their close entourage grabbing 30 off the top to distribute to their immediate friends, family etc. I doubt Duff is sitting at home with a collection of lithos but I can imagine Slash handing them out to their own personal guests for that particular show etc. That sort of situation I can definitely imagine. After all, they're the big swinging dicks of the tour, they can get anything they want.

Now whether the crew gets whatever they want? Dunno about that. I imagine maybe if they want a shirt or two then I don't see why not. But shirts are made in the thousands so 50 or 100 off the top for the roadies isn't going to be an issue. But I doubt Jim-Bob the heavylifter can just stroll over and grab 20 lithos. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part but I'm just trying to look at it from a practical point of view. If the merch people were so laid back about crew and staff grabbing merch then I doubt there would ever be any lithos left to go around for us peasants.

1 hour ago, liqddynamite said:

I own a lot of lithos and have looked at hundreds of ebay auctions for them.  I've never even seen a picture of a litho with a number inside the top 30, the lowest I've seen is my Houston #39/300.  I think its very safe to say that the crew and friends/family of the band gets first dibs, or something like that.  

Actually, I just checked - I thought the lowest number I have was 034 but in fact, I have 025/250 for the Brisbane Purple Surfer. Maybe that one, they only took 20 :P

• Like 1