Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

8 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I got my Cincinnati framed and got a picture but having an issue posting it here for some reason. Here is the link. 

http://i.picresize.com/UqxH

Really cool blues and reds now that the light is hitting it that weren't super visible at first glance.

Every time I look at a framed litho I change my mind over whether matboards are good or unnecessary.

I look once and I think "it's awesome"

I look again and I think "matboard would give it more presence"

I look again and I think "matboard would make it a lot bigger and I only have so much usable wallspace"

I look again and I think "but matboard can make a 5 dollar poster look like a 500 work of art"

I look again and I think "matboard usually means custom sizing and that's gonna balloon in cost when you have a lot to frame"

This is the reason why I still haven't decide on frames and have everything in the Art Profolio :lol:

27 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

That's hard to answer because I want April Fools for a different reason than why I want any other lithograph on the tour. Let's be honest April Fools is hardly a great design. It's pretty shitty, to be honest. I know it's meant to look like an old playbill so it's not supposed to stand out but still. I'm collecting other lithos almost solely based on design. Plus it's not even close to the rarest on the tour. There's four times as many April Fools as there is the Adelaide Shark design. Almost three times as many as there are Kobe Samurais.

But it might be the most important or significant litho on the tour. There's a reason why they slapped "I Was There" on it. I think it might be the litho that will increase the most in value over time.

What about the Perth lithographs they only made 100 of those each of both designs and the spider looks pretty fucking mint 

40 minutes ago, nzgnr said:

What about the Perth lithographs they only made 100 of those each of both designs and the spider looks pretty fucking mint 

Well the problem of course is that the spider is pretty hideous.  Who wants a big hairy spider on their wall?  I have 15 lithos framed on my wall and another 10 on the bench that didn't make make the cut. The Perth spider might be rare, but it doesn't crack the top 20 in terms of something I want to look at on any kind of regular basis.  Rare doesn't always equal cool or desirable, sometimes things are rare but still hideous and undesirable.  The Adelaide red head skull only had 150 made, and the sellers cant give those things away.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, liqddynamite said:

Well the problem of course is that the spider is pretty hideous.  Who wants a big hairy spider on their wall?  I have 15 lithos framed on my wall and another 10 on the bench that didn't make make the cut. The Perth spider might be rare, but it doesn't crack the top 20 in terms of something I want to look at on any kind of regular basis.  Rare doesn't always equal cool or desirable, sometimes things are rare but still hideous and undesirable.  The Adelaide red head skull only had 150 made, and the sellers cant give those things away.  

Literally there is a Adelaide red head skull on Ebay for $50.00 or Best Offer :lol: After Ebay fees, that guy is paying someone to take it off his hands lol

Yeah I think you make a good point. I think there were three Australian lithos that were limited to 100 copies - Adelaide Shark and the two Perth lithos. And honestly the only draw is that they're rare. The ones that are rare AND have great artwork? Those are the ones that have skyrocketed in value and will probably continue to increase.

Actually... now that I think about it, that's another thing April Fools has going for it... it's the first litho, right? Which means it's the oldest litho. Every day that goes by, that show gets further and further away and the chances of scooping one up get harder and harder :wacko:

• Like 2

I just added the April Fools litho to my collection. I took a chance on it because I wasn't really sure what the demand was for it, and it was a reasonable price. Until recently i feel like I never heard anyone asking about it. I popped on it solely because it was the first from the tour. The other thing with these lithos is for the people who bought them and only wanted to flip them, those lithos could be sitting in a backroom collecting dust. I feel like the more time goes by not only will they be harder to find but they'll be in worse condition. 

6 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Every time I look at a framed litho I change my mind over whether matboards are good or unnecessary.

I look once and I think "it's awesome"

I look again and I think "matboard would give it more presence"

I look again and I think "matboard would make it a lot bigger and I only have so much usable wallspace"

I look again and I think "but matboard can make a 5 dollar poster look like a 500 work of art"

I look again and I think "matboard usually means custom sizing and that's gonna balloon in cost when you have a lot to frame"

This is the reason why I still haven't decide on frames and have everything in the Art Profolio :lol:

I've mentioned this once before but for anyone who is interested this is what I do as far as framing.

I got my two NY/NJ lithos professionally framed. They were the first 2 I got and I went to those shows. They cost me $200 EACH. No matboard, just regular black frame and good quality glass.

I have 8 others that I've framed since and I went with a cheaper option. I go to Michael's [an arts and crafts store] and buy one of the regular black frames 18x24. I then ask them to cut me a piece of glass that will fit that frame. All I'm worried about is the lithos losing color due to exposure to the sun, and they have multiple glass options with one of them guaranteeing that won't happen. It costs $50 for the custom cut glass.

Then when I get home I pop out the cheap plexiglass from the old frame, it comes out incredibly easy, and slide in the custom sheet. I can tell no difference between the ones I had professionally done and the ones I did myself. And they are both protected from the sun.

5 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I've mentioned this once before but for anyone who is interested this is what I do as far as framing.

I got my two NY/NJ lithos professionally framed. They were the first 2 I got and I went to those shows. They cost me $200 EACH. No matboard, just regular black frame and good quality glass.

I have 8 others that I've framed since and I went with a cheaper option. I go to Michael's [an arts and crafts store] and buy one of the regular black frames 18x24. I then ask them to cut me a piece of glass that will fit that frame. All I'm worried about is the lithos losing color due to exposure to the sun, and they have multiple glass options with one of them guaranteeing that won't happen. It costs $50 for the custom cut glass.

Then when I get home I pop out the cheap plexiglass from the old frame, it comes out incredibly easy, and slide in the custom sheet. I can tell no difference between the ones I had professionally done and the ones I did myself. And they are both protected from the sun.

Yup, custom framing is expensive because it's made to measure. Seems *somewhat* a waste to do custom framing for something that is standard size but certainly you get more options in terms of design. The big advantage of custom framing is that you can take advantage of being able to use a matboard of any desired width you like. The big disadvantage is that your standard size item is now no longer standard - but that's why you're getting it custom made. Just personal preference though for me to use matboard. Definitely makes it look more emphatic. However it's one thing when you're taking up a couple extra inches in length and width for a single lithograph... the inches add up when you're considering hanging 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 haha.

I will never use glass though. Somebody cue up the pic of another forum member's Foxboro disaster as a simple demonstration why. Might not be a problem in other places but I live in one of the great earthquake hotbeds of the world so it isn't the smartest idea. You can get plexiglass with the same UV protective film that is used for CGC-style slabs and that is a far more satisfying solution for me.

Really don't know what I'm going to do though.

That is similar in trade value as Ned Kelly? I don't know... I can't put a number on Ned Kelly. The design is okay, rarity is okay, necessity is low. Maybe Yokohama? But each and every day I feel like Yokohama becomes closer and closer to a classic sleeper.

Now that I think of it, I guess there's two types of rarity, isn't there? On one hand we can talk about pure numbers - They made 500 of Lithograph X and only 250 of Lithograph B. But then there's also the "in the wild" rarity - how often you see them for auction or for sale. Great example would be something like April Fools where the pure production number is not particularly low (comparatively speaking) but they're rare to see out in the wild for sale or trade.

That reminds me - has anybody actually seen a Dubai litho yet? Do we even know how many were made? I still think it's a terrible design with terrible colors and absolutely do not want one but I'm surprised I haven't even seen a photo of one. There's probably some sheikh somewhere who bought them all and is lining the floor of his falcon's birdcage with them or something.

22 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Someone is offering you a Kobe for a Perth spider? 

No someone is offering me all 3 for my Perth spider I don't have any spares and I really like it and I know there was only 100 made so very rare 

33 minutes ago, nzgnr said:

What's so special about the Kobe 

Kind of touching on what amaninjapan said earlier in regards to the types of rarities. Kobe checks all those boxes. Rare in quantity  [150], rare as to how many come up for auction or trade, and along with Cincinnati it's the most beloved art work.

Honestly, that sounds too good to be true so I'd be skeptical if that was a serious offer, I'd reconfirm that's the deal on the table.  Nonetheless, the April Fools alone is a great deal for the Spider.  Aside from the fact that its THE most significant litho in terms of GNR history, but it was the first show and those lithos were not bought by resellers, thats why it almost never hits ebay and is really hard to find.  Its owned by fans.  Remember guys the resellers didnt start buying in bulk until late July last year, when the tour was more than half over.  That's why the earlier ones lithos with good designs (sorry Detroit) are hard to find.  Plus, April Fools is a classic design  that's very GNR, vs. the spider, which is rare yes, but let's face it, the art just isn't something most people want to proudly display, unless you're either a biologist who studies arachnids or the type of person who keeps a pet tarantula. 

Sounds like a perfect match to me. You have the world's rarest seller and the world's rarest buyer. Fight of the century!

"In the red corner... weighing in with an April Fool championship belt and a Kobe championship belt... and the willingness to trade both... give it up for "The Madman Buyer!"

"In the blue corner... weighing in with a Perth Spider certificate of participation... like that disease so rare that doctors fly you around the world so other doctors can study you but is so grotesque they still wear hazmat containment suits when talking to you... the only guy in the world who has to think about whether to trade for a Kobe... a round of applause please for "The Delusional Seller!"

LET'S GET READY TO FUMBLE! :P

• Like 4

Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol:

Swear to God though if that deal was even half as good as it sounds... even if it was a straight swap for Kobe-Perth Spider or April Fool-Perth Spider... you're guaranteed to have one person completely screwed whether the deal happens or not!

If they trade, then the guy letting go of the Perth Spider gets away with murder and the other guy gets fucked with his pants on. He'll get invited on Larry King to tell his story. Oprah will come back from retirement for a 90-minute special. There will be a low-budget made for TV lifetime event starring Greg Kinnear and David Hasselhoff.

If they don't trade, then the guy with the Perth Spider just let the chance of a lifetime sail right by and his grandchildren will be telling their grandchildren bedtime stories of the time their great-great-great-grandpappy let it all slip through his fingers like grains of sand. In 80 years you'll be able to rent a 4D holographic compilation video of the greatest fails of the 21st century and Ken Burns IV will narrate about the The Deal That Never Was.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol:

Swear to God though if that deal was even half as good as it sounds... even if it was a straight swap for Kobe-Perth Spider or April Fool-Perth Spider... you're guaranteed to have one person completely screwed whether the deal happens or not!

If they trade, then the guy letting go of the Perth Spider gets away with murder and the other guy gets fucked with his pants on. He'll get invited on Larry King to tell his story. Oprah will come back from retirement for a 90-minute special. There will be a low-budget made for TV lifetime event starring Greg Kinnear and David Hasselhoff.

If they don't trade, then the guy with the Perth Spider just let the chance of a lifetime sail right by and his grandchildren will be telling their grandchildren bedtime stories of the time their great-great-great-grandpappy let it all slip through his fingers like grains of sand. In 80 years you'll be able to rent a 4D holographic compilation video of the greatest fails of the 21st century and Ken Burns IV will narrate about the The Deal That Never Was.

We don't know the circumstances surrounding the trade. Maybe the guy with the Kobe litho is sitting on a small stack of them and really wants a Perth Spider? I personally have never seen one pop up on eBay; and even though it gets no love from some in this forum, I actually like the design. Throwing the other two lithos in is just insane though... I wouldn't even have to think about it providing they are in good condition.

Not sure of the desirability of the April Fools lithograph just because it was the first one, but it is definitely a cool one to have. Especially if you were at the show.