Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

The greed in me is kicking myself too. I remember thinking "oh I already have my own, I'll let the other hyenas fight each other for this. I'll just sit back and watch the bloodbath."

Then I forgot about it and when I saw it finished with no bidders I was like wuuuuuuuuuuut

18 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

So you must think uzi your illusion is an idiot for offering $1000?

If you had bought that one on Ebay for $500, you'd be $500 richer right now instantly because uzi your illusion would have bought it from you. Making 100% profit by flipping something in less than a month sounds like a bargain to me. Just because you personally wouldn't pay $500 for it doesn't mean it's not a bargain. I think we can demonstrate quite easily that many people think $500 is a price they would pay.

Solely based off that auction, I believe it's possible the demand and ultimately the value has dropped to a reasonable amount for the Kobe litho. I also based it off the fact that the "promo" Kobe litho went for 500$, but the real deal did not sale. I thought it curious and was surprised no forum members discussed that auction or purchased it. Shorty after that auction I asked you in this thread if you still had Kobe lithos for sale. I would personally pay 500$ for the Kobe litho. I just have my money tied up in seeing multiple U2 concerts this summer with friends and I placed a higher value on those experiences than the litho. But, the Kobe litho still is on my mind. I'll be very interested to see if any of the European lithos captivate your attention enough to trade for a Kobe litho. And I'm excited that new artists have been picked for the European leg of the tour. With no new music and static set lists, the lithos have become one of the more interesting aspects of this tour, so I don't judge anybody for spending any amount of cash of the lithos.

10 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

The only reason I didn't bid  the $500 when that one showed up on EBay was because it seemed to good to be true. The same guy had just posted a Kobe poster that wasn't a litho but just a promotional poster and I was concerned it may be another one of those just mislabeled and the seller didn't take returns. I even posted on this thread at the time "anyone curious as to why no one bid on this kobe?". I am kicking myself on a daily basis for not pulling the trigger on it then.

I too questioned the authenticity of that litho. It did appear to good to be true.

Edited by The Holographic Universe

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Solely based off that auction, I believe it's possible the demand and ultimately the value has dropped to a reasonable amount for the Kobe litho.

I think it's naive to base anything solely off an auction that happened, what a month ago now?

You've got multiple people here who would happily pay $500 and I suppose at least two people on Ebay (uzi your illusion and whoever ended up buying the thing) who would pay $1000 or more.

And yes, I will be very interested too to see what the Europe leg will bring. My fear is that there will be a few that I will like... but none of them will be 'great' or rare enough to trade for a Kobe. So then either I'll have to trade Kobe for multiple lithos which is difficult because there is rarely one person that has all the lithos you want, or I will end up having to sell it for cash and hope that cash is enough to secure the lithos I want. Kinda like having a $20 bill and the vending machine only takes singles :lol:

1 minute ago, amaninjapan said:

I think it's naive to base anything solely off an auction that happened, what a month ago now?

You've got multiple people here who would happily pay $500 and I suppose at least two people on Ebay (uzi your illusion and whoever ended up buying the thing) who would pay $1000 or more.

And yes, I will be very interested too to see what the Europe leg will bring. My fear is that there will be a few that I will like... but none of them will be 'great' or rare enough to trade for a Kobe. So then either I'll have to trade Kobe for multiple lithos which is difficult because there is rarely one person that has all the lithos you want, or I will end up having to sell it for cash and hope that cash is enough to secure the lithos I want. Kinda like having a $20 bill and the vending machine only takes singles :lol:

Well, you know for certain that no litho on the European leg will combine the rarity and the excellent subject matter of the Kobe litho. I just can't see that happening. But who knows. I look forward to the great litho hunts ahead and I truly hope that an amazing one comes from the European leg. But the orient has better subject matter. I the gorge show has a chance to have a cool litho.

I was emailing back and fourth with the seller before it was posted. The last contact we had was about 3 days before he posted Kobe on eBay for  $2000. He wouldn't take a cash deal he wanted my Atlanta, my signed Cincinnati, and a litho from a show I'm going to later in the year.

I told him I didn't want to trade those and he seemed upset. Then I see it on eBay with the note to contact him about trades. Then we haggled back and fourth and he did that counter offer of $1 off the sell price. I rejected his "final offer" and then the very next day he found someone who was willing to give him his price. A part of me feels that he only posted it in the first place because he thought it would strong arm me into making the trade for the 3 lithos of mine he wanted.

I love my Cincinnati print and the more I look at it the more attached I get. I wouldn't even do that one straight up for Kobe anymore.

That Ax-signed Cinci should go to your children and your children's children.  Fuck ever trading it or selling it.

JapanMan, I thought all the Kobe lithos in your possession were the property of your out of town friends?  And that you were going to sell them on their behalf?

So why would you use your friend's stuff as trading material?  Did you buy them off your friends, or did they just end up giving them to you?

I'm just curious.  You don't have to tell us if you don't want to.  It's just that you're the only person on this board that has even seen one of these, let alone has a stash of them in his house. 

2 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

That Ax-signed Cinci should go to your children and your children's children.  Fuck ever trading it or selling it.

JapanMan, I thought all the Kobe lithos in your possession were the property of your out of town friends?  And that you were going to sell them on their behalf?

So why would you use your friend's stuff as trading material?  Did you buy them off your friends, or did they just end up giving them to you?

I'm just curious.  You don't have to tell us if you don't want to.  It's just that you're the only person on this board that has even seen one of these, let alone has a stash of them in his house. 

Three of them I sold on behalf of my friend's friends. One went really quickly around the time they were going for ridiculous amounts on Yahoo. There were a lot of cashed up older Japanese people I knew through the local Japanese GNR fan clubs living out near Tokyo they didn't get a chance to go to the Osaka/Kobe shows. So they were happy to splash the cash on it, especially since they were direct trades rather than going through an online marketplace. The last of the three took a while because the owner was holding out for me. I got a LOT of offers for close to but below $1000 and he was like "nah if my other friends could get x, then I can get x too and I'm in no rush"

The last two I purchased myself in preparation for the litho-armageddon I envision will occur when GnR start touring again. I got a pretty good price because I was able to trade other non-GnR related things and services for them.

Those plus my Yokohamas are pretty much the foundation for my lithos-for-trade collection at the moment. Some might think I've been pushing Yokohama as a sleeper only because I have spares but I assure you, it's the other way around lol. I think it is a design that will become more desirable as the tour goes on, so I stacked up on them :lol:

3oS89VS.jpg

15 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

The point Holographic made earlier about the lithos being the most exciting aspect of the band due to no new music was spot on. I never thought about it that way before.

And Estranged, your absolutely right about my signed Cincinnati! It's not going anywhere.

I have never ever in 20+ years of going to shows expected new music. For me, I want to hear in person the songs I already know and like because for me I would much rather spend a couple hundred on a live performance than $20 on a CD.

Talking about hard to find lithos... has anybody at all seen a Dubai? Or heard of anybody with a Dubai? Or even a photo of a real Dubai? It's been more than a month now and I don't think I've ever seen anything other than the pic that was on Arian Buhler's instagram.

I still find it hard to believe they exist. I hate the design but damn that would be a good one to have in the back pocket for trade.

The Gods must be crazy to think of spending 500+ USD on a litho.  This thread is its own worst enemy with people talking up one litho as if its superior to all others!  Why people think the Kobe is the king of lithos is a bit odd, personally Id rather the Foxboro double or the Cinci which have better colour.  But its all personal.  Whoever suggested GnR coming up with a book of all lithos is on the money, that would be a cool coffee table book for sure.  For those intent on bidding some serious coin on one litho, just spend that money going to Europe, enjoy a show and get some European ones for trade instead.

Edited by AussieHrvat

I dunno what a yen is even worth anymore, but here in Oz they were only 50 bucks each.  Im ticked I missed one I Washington DC (think it was 40 dollars but maybe wrong) as there was no way to carry it around in the stadium.  Europe and all its heritage will hopefully bring some cool designs. again, a book would be great to flick through!

A big ass coffee table book for sure! I have this big ass coffee table Porsche book. It's massive, about the size of a GnR litho and just has all these amazing Porsche photos from over the years. Something like that that has all the lithos plus maybe a page or two review/interviews for each show would be insanely popular.

Oh and 2500 yen would be about $30 Aussie.

Rule of thumb is that 100 yen is about 1 US dollar, so the lithos were about $25 bucks in Japan, which still shocks me cause usually everything here in three times more expensive, not HALf off!

I also really like the Yokohama litho.  I was really impressed with it when I got to see it in person.  I like the thick black linework on the skulls, as well as they general composition.

The Japan element is so subtle it may as well not be there, but there is a Japanese fan behind the skulls, as well as cherry blossom flowers.  I showed it to my friends and they said it looked really "metal."  I agree.  I think it's a solid design that only suffers from being a bit generic and not city-specific.

I went to Yokohama just for the merch and didn't attend the show.  I wasn't even going to keep the litho cause I figured why keep a poster for a show I didn't attend? 

I picked up three.  One is currently in the possession of AManinJapan.  And one I'm holding on to for future trade stock.

And in the end, I've decided to keep the last one.  It's just too damn cool looking to part with, especially cause I got it in person, at the show, for the "retail" price.  And hey...I was at that venue for HOURS, so it's kinda like I was "there" right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AussieHrvat said:

pull out pages so you can mount them! ha that Porsche museum is pretty sweet, is that where you found that book?  ill be back there in a few weeks, but GnR not yet touring again there...

No I found it at a book store that specialized in automotive books in Seattle. It wasn't an official Porsche book and I can't find a photo of it on the internet. It had a blue and orange dust jacket and was just huge. Plenty of Porsche coffee table books out there though and I'm sure they'll all pretty awesome. I think I bought this one simply because it was huge yet cheap and on sale. I doubt I paid more than $20 for it.

2 minutes ago, AussieHrvat said:

damn, 25 bucks then! bargain!  I agree with your sentiments ET, I think the best ones are those you experienced (or at least sort of!).  I wonder if the band appreciate the following these things have or that they even exist

I'm sure they know they exist at least because Duff signed an Osaka litho and is selling it to fund someone's medical expenses, I think.

10 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Three of them I sold on behalf of my friend's friends. One went really quickly around the time they were going for ridiculous amounts on Yahoo. There were a lot of cashed up older Japanese people I knew through the local Japanese GNR fan clubs living out near Tokyo they didn't get a chance to go to the Osaka/Kobe shows. So they were happy to splash the cash on it, especially since they were direct trades rather than going through an online marketplace. The last of the three took a while because the owner was holding out for me. I got a LOT of offers for close to but below $1000 and he was like "nah if my other friends could get x, then I can get x too and I'm in no rush"

The last two I purchased myself in preparation for the litho-armageddon I envision will occur when GnR start touring again. I got a pretty good price because I was able to trade other non-GnR related things and services for them.

Those plus my Yokohamas are pretty much the foundation for my lithos-for-trade collection at the moment. Some might think I've been pushing Yokohama as a sleeper only because I have spares but I assure you, it's the other way around lol. I think it is a design that will become more desirable as the tour goes on, so I stacked up on them :lol:

3oS89VS.jpg

The yokohama is awesome and its one of the few lithos that has the classic GNR logo unaltered and front and center. Its also one of the few that has an elegant design instead of being cartoonish. There was one on eBay for 200$ awhile back and I wish I had purchased it.

5 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21bh3s&s=9

Here is the custom frame I created for my litho. Its 3 frames stacked on each other. the cost was 226$ but they took 60 off because they fucked up the sizing about 1/16 of an inch

That's pretty interesting. I've not seen something like that. Really makes it look important.

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21bh3s&s=9

Here is the custom frame I created for my litho. Its 3 frames stacked on each other. the cost was 226$ but they took 60 off because they fucked up the sizing about 1/16 of an inch

I like that. Never been crazy about the litho design but that frame matches very well.

Hey guys, I've started putting together a little blog for these posters. It's still on my hard drive, but the intent is to be a permanent exhibition of these posters and provide as much detail around them as possible.

Problem is, I've only been able to identify 2 of the artists: Arian Buhler and Sara Ray (San Diego poster). Does anyone know any of the other artists?

Also If anyone's a real trainspotter like me and would like to lend a hand, let me know. I could use the help! Well actually a lot of the imagery was from here anyway. So thanks guys like Estranged Twat, just blows me away!

• Like 1