Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

2 hours ago, mattathias said:

Hey guys, I've started putting together a little blog for these posters. It's still on my hard drive, but the intent is to be a permanent exhibition of these posters and provide as much detail around them as possible.

Problem is, I've only been able to identify 2 of the artists: Arian Buhler and Sara Ray (San Diego poster). Does anyone know any of the other artists?

Also If anyone's a real trainspotter like me and would like to lend a hand, let me know. I could use the help! Well actually a lot of the imagery was from here anyway. So thanks guys like Estranged Twat, just blows me away!

Hope you find cleaner pics than most of the ones I used.  And also have better skills at cleaning them up.  I used microsoft paint and it's really lazy and sloppy.

I know there are people with most of the lithos that we don't have decent images of, so I'm hoping to get more clear shots someday.  The Arian Buhlers we have pretty decent shots of, of course.  But for the rest I'm always looking on ebay for better, cleaner shots.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicdecaypri said:

There's Timothy Patrick Butler, designed Wellington Kiwi, Foxboro, Singapore, not sure if there's any more! 

He also did the Bangkok Elephant lithograph and there is an alternate design on his Facebook (and somewhere on this thread) that features the same Elephant as a skeleton. My guess is they passed over the skeleton design because it could remind some that Elephants are frequently victims of poaching.

Sara Ray also had 3 other variations of her San Diego artwork that deserve getting images of for your blog, but they weren't officially lithographs... they are silkscreens and were limited to runs of 100, 20, and 10. A lithograph is a copy of the original artwork made from a pressing and a silkscreen is an entirely different process using paint pressing through cloth. Each silkscreen is slightly different from the next. I wonder if that even though Sara Ray was the artist, if there may have been an understanding that the artwork provided would be used exclusively for the shows and that is why we haven't seen any more artwork of hers used on the tour (but this is just a guess)?

Regardless, with print runs of 100 (Orange), 20 (Purple Glow), and 10 (Foil), they are some of the rarest GNR tour artwork out there by far and they are all signed by the artist and numbered and thus worth mentioning.

2 hours ago, Dacatzass said:

He also did the Bangkok Elephant lithograph and there is an alternate design on his Facebook (and somewhere on this thread) that features the same Elephant as a skeleton. My guess is they passed over the skeleton design because it could remind some that Elephants are frequently victims of poaching.

Sara Ray also had 3 other variations of her San Diego artwork that deserve getting images of for your blog, but they weren't officially lithographs... they are silkscreens and were limited to runs of 100, 20, and 10. A lithograph is a copy of the original artwork made from a pressing and a silkscreen is an entirely different process using paint pressing through cloth. Each silkscreen is slightly different from the next. I wonder if that even though Sara Ray was the artist, if there may have been an understanding that the artwork provided would be used exclusively for the shows and that is why we haven't seen any more artwork of hers used on the tour (but this is just a guess)?

Regardless, with print runs of 100 (Orange), 20 (Purple Glow), and 10 (Foil), they are some of the rarest GNR tour artwork out there by far and they are all signed by the artist and numbered and thus worth mentioning.

They didn't pass over the elephant skeleton design. The skeleton 'alternate' was meant to be the glow-in-the-dark portion of the same lithograph. The shitty print company they commissioned to do the Singapore, Bangkok and Dubai (I imagine, if it even exists) 'lithographs' couldn't do glow-in-the-dark so they just printed it as is. As anyone with the Bangkok and Singapore lithographs can testify to, the print quality is substandard, the paper quality is substandard, they're smaller than 18x24 and they're very lightly and crudely stamp-numbered rather than hand-numbered. A really poor production all around.

Not sure if the shirt is glow-in-the-dark but I suspect it isn't. But either Slash or Axl wore the elephant design t-shirt on stage during the Bangkok concert, which seemed to be a big hit with the crowd anyway.

As for the Sara Ray San Diego prints - I have the normal print and the foil print. I don't know about the orange and purple prints but I can assure you that the foil print looks much better quality than the regular print. The regular print is quite grainy whereas the foil print (whether it's silkscreen or not) does not have the same grain to it and is super clear. If you had told me one was a lithograph and the other was a silkscreen, I would have thought it was the other way around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

They didn't pass over the elephant skeleton design. The skeleton 'alternate' was meant to be the glow-in-the-dark portion of the same lithograph. 

As for the Sara Ray San Diego prints - I have the normal print and the foil print. I don't know about the orange and purple prints but I can assure you that the foil print looks much better quality than the regular print. The regular print is quite grainy whereas the foil print (whether it's silkscreen or not) does not have the same grain to it and is super clear. If you had told me one was a lithograph and the other was a silkscreen, I would have thought it was the other way around.

Ah... that makes sense about the skeleton. Too bad because glow-in-the-dark would have been a really cool effect.

I have the Sara Ray Purple Glow Silkscreen, but don't have the original litho to compare it to. I have both Foxboro lithos and can attest that the Silkscreening process makes the design pop and it is quite striking... I also have a couple of expensive artworks and my Purple Glow hangs proudly on the wall amongst them.

5 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

Foil is nice for a concept but I'm just not a fan of the design.

Imagine if there had been a foil variant of Foxboro or Cinci or Kobe. Oh my god, there would've been riots.

That would have been cool, but too many colors in each of those designs for the Silkscreening process. That is why she used Orange, Purple, and Foil colored paper.

2 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

They didn't pass over the elephant skeleton design. The skeleton 'alternate' was meant to be the glow-in-the-dark portion of the same lithograph. The shitty print company they commissioned to do the Singapore, Bangkok and Dubai (I imagine, if it even exists) 'lithographs' couldn't do glow-in-the-dark so they just printed it as is. As anyone with the Bangkok and Singapore lithographs can testify to, the print quality is substandard, the paper quality is substandard, they're smaller than 18x24 and they're very lightly and crudely stamp-numbered rather than hand-numbered. A really poor production all around.

Not sure if the shirt is glow-in-the-dark but I suspect it isn't. But either Slash or Axl wore the elephant design t-shirt on stage during the Bangkok concert, which seemed to be a big hit with the crowd anyway.

I agree with your comments on the Bangkok lithographs.  The designs are very nice but poor quality.  For the Bangkok shirt, the elephant design is glow in the dark.  It looks like a regular shirt but the skeleton elephant is hidden underneath the elephant design so you can see the skeleton elephant pops up in the dark.

Ok so I have recently got a lithograph sent from USA using USPS priority post and it got stuck in customs in Australia for about 3 weeks it arrived yesterday and it's totally fucked as in creased and dirty fingerprints on it the poster tube was crushed and looks like it got wet and was missing the end plastic caps I'm not blaming the sender as he has sent me all pictures of him packing it and what he put inside to help secure it had anyone in Australia ever had this problem with customs and taken them on because I'm totally pissed off that this has happened cheers Dave 

1 hour ago, nzgnr said:

Ok so I have recently got a lithograph sent from USA using USPS priority post and it got stuck in customs in Australia for about 3 weeks it arrived yesterday and it's totally fucked as in creased and dirty fingerprints on it the poster tube was crushed and looks like it got wet and was missing the end plastic caps I'm not blaming the sender as he has sent me all pictures of him packing it and what he put inside to help secure it had anyone in Australia ever had this problem with customs and taken them on because I'm totally pissed off that this has happened cheers Dave 

That's brutal. I have one Australian litho [Wellington] and I bought it off that Australian website selling the extra shirts and lithos they had left over. I paid $60 total and it came in perfect condition in about 2 weeks.

4 hours ago, nzgnr said:

Sorry to hear it, which litho was it?  Most people don't know how to ship these things, the tubes need to be inside another box or bigger tube.

9 minutes ago, liqddynamite said:

Sorry to hear it, which litho was it?  Most people don't know how to ship these things, the tubes need to be inside another box or bigger tube.

It was Coachella weekend 1 which I flew to from Perth just to watch GNR it wasn't the sellers fault at all it got stopped in customs 3 weeks ago for what ever reason "they wouldn't tell me " and I get home from a few days away to find it on my door step in that condition it cost me $50 usd to send it via priority and Australian customs fucked it or Australia post but still that it shocking handling of someone's personal pride and joy 

4 hours ago, nzgnr said:

The seller should file a claim with postal outlet.  It should be insured for whatever you paid for it.  insurance will cover the litho and postal charges

1 hour ago, nzgnr said:

It was Coachella weekend 1 which I flew to from Perth just to watch GNR it wasn't the sellers fault at all it got stopped in customs 3 weeks ago for what ever reason "they wouldn't tell me " and I get home from a few days away to find it on my door step in that condition it cost me $50 usd to send it via priority and Australian customs fucked it or Australia post but still that it shocking handling of someone's personal pride and joy 

It was packed very well 

1 hour ago, gunsguy said:

The seller should file a claim with postal outlet.  It should be insured for whatever you paid for it.  insurance will cover the litho and postal charges

He is checking on Monday for me he lives in a small US town and knows the postal people well which should help Australian customs are well known for fucking people's postal packages up as when it arrives in Australia if it's sent via normal postal route like USPS even if it's sent priority and fragile Australia post doesn't offer a fragile service and as for priority postage with Australia post once it gets to Australia and goes to their depots it goes via normal mail speed so INTERNATIONAL SENDERS take note go through DHL UPS OR FEDEX if you want a complete fragile and courier mail speed once it hits Australian shores  

Edited by nzgnr

2 hours ago, nzgnr said:

He is checking on Monday for me he lives in a small US town and knows the postal people well which should help Australian customs are well known for fucking people's postal packages up as when it arrives in Australia if it's sent via normal postal route like USPS even if it's sent priority and fragile Australia post doesn't offer a fragile service and as for priority postage with Australia post once it gets to Australia and goes to their depots it goes via normal mail speed so INTERNATIONAL SENDERS take note go through DHL UPS OR FEDEX if you want a complete fragile and courier mail speed once it hits Australian shores  

As long as he declared the amount you paid for it and insured it for that amount he will get the full amount back, doesn't matter how nice or not nice the postal office is, it is why insurance is paid.  This is why I never ship without insurance to cover the full price including shipping no matter what I am sending. If they roll it into a ball Neither the buyer or seller is out anything.  Send him pictures of the damage he might need that.

2 hours ago, gunsguy said:

As long as he declared the amount you paid for it and insured it for that amount he will get the full amount back, doesn't matter how nice or not nice the postal office is, it is why insurance is paid.  This is why I never ship without insurance to cover the full price including shipping no matter what I am sending. If they roll it into a ball Neither the buyer or seller is out anything.  Send him pictures of the damage he might need that.

yep all that was done at his end and information has been sent to me so i can claim for it at my end 

On 22/04/2017 at 1:36 AM, Izzymacbeth said:

Hope Slane's isn't predictible leprachaun shite. Prob will though with ginger hair and top hats involved. 

would be good if it was something like the castle being attacked by a dragon or something loch ness monster would be wicked but thats from scotland so won't work

23 minutes ago, FoxySCFC said:

Yeah I'm going to Slane and hoping it's not some crap leprechaun. A nod to Slane castle would be cool.

anybody know how much that Kobe went for that was up for 2k or some ridiculous price?

it sold for just under $2000 apparently which makes that the most expensive so far if any of the signed las vegas vip lithographs or the rocket queen foils come up they will around that as well i think

1 hour ago, nzgnr said:

it sold for just under $2000 apparently which makes that the most expensive so far if any of the signed las vegas vip lithographs or the rocket queen foils come up they will around that as well i think

Wow I own one of the rocket queen foils in my collection and love it but for a price like that I would consider selling it 

1 hour ago, nzgnr said:

Jesus that's insane. It is a bad ass litho but I wouldn't pay a quarter of that for it unless I went to the gig.

• Like 1