AXL Rants

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

actually i think the one he did when Duff got hit with a bottle WAS necessary. plus a few where he was concerned for the band and the fans. JMHO...

He could have dealt with a lot of those situations better back in the day.

We are used to call every "speech" Axl gave from the stage a rant, but they weren't all the same. When he talked about himself and things that had happened to him, the rants may have been his (unusual) way to communicate. In other cases he attacked the media and various people (James Hetfield for example), in an, again unusual, way to defend himself or the band from things that were being said which he considered untrue or unfair; he cared too much about what people thought of him. There were the cases when fans threw things on the stage. And there were the cases when what he said made no sense and sounded "crazy", like the Warren Beatty rant in Paris.

Edited by Blackstar

3 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i think he had a valid point in Sacramento that could have KILLED Duff....

I was at that show and you've got it quite wrong. Axl never ranted AFTER the bottle hit Duff. He just told the audience that Duff was hit and now they're going home. His ranting was done multiple times prior to that incident when he went off about Metallica in what Axl referred to as "sort of being on someone else's turf" (since Sacramento is relatively close to the Bay Area).

The prevailing thought is that it was a disgruntled Metallica fan that threw the bottle. Nobody knows for sure except the @hole that threw it. So, it's possible that Axl's rant on Metallica led to the incident.

I personally loved the rant. I always liked it that Axl went out on a limb to express himself, right or wrong. And I thought Hetfield was a douchebag for what he said in the video, especially if those guys were friends as Axl indicated.

Regardless, Axl didn't lecture or scold the crowd that night. He just left. It was Slash that came out a few minutes later to explain why they couldn't come back out to play.

Edited by thunderram

4 hours ago, RNRS said:

They were never needed and were only really cool if you were 16 years old.

Speak for yourself.

As I indicated in another reply, I always looked forward to his rants and what he was going to talk about next. Didn't bother me at all. And I was far past a teenager by then. Nothing wrong with expressing yourself and being controversial, especially when everyone is there to see you. And it's not like the fans got cheated out of music. They played a long setlist back in those days. Not only that, I think he did it at times when the rest of the band was either taking a break or simply backstage getting some. No big deal.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

Just now, thunderram said:

I was at that show and you've got it quite wrong. Axl never ranted AFTER the bottle hit Duff. He just told the audience that Duff was hit and now they're going home. His ranting was done multiple times prior to that incident when he went off about Metallica in what Axl referred to as "sort of being on someone else's turf" (since Sacramento is relatively close to the Bay Area).

The prevailing thought is that it was a disgruntled Metallica fan that threw the bottle. Nobody knows for sure except the @hole that threw it. So, it's possible that Axl's rant on Metallica led to the incident.

I personally loved the rant. I always liked it that Axl went out on a limb to express himself, right or wrong. And I thought Hetfield was a douchebag for what he said in the video, especially if those guys were friends as Axl indicated.

Regardless, Axl didn't lecture or scold the crowd that night. He just left. It was Slash that came out a few minutes later to explain why they couldn't come back out to play.

actually Axl did say "if you find the a$$hole KILL him" so i did not get it QUITE wrong. are you from Sac??  i lived there far too long was NEVER happier to get out of city in my life. and it has been referred in various places as a rant. i am not gonna split hairs he could have ( IMO SHOULD have ) thrown a GIGANTIC fit, that ish is *bleeped* up. and yes Hetfield was a huge  d- bag. and i too loved the rant on Metallica

I just had to remove over half the thread. The upcoming US elections have absolutely nothing to do with this topic. If you want to discuss Axl Rants or lackthereof, do it here. If you want to discuss the upcoming US elections, please take it to the Anything Goes section.

Thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

actually Axl did say "if you find the a$$hole KILL him" so i did not get it QUITE wrong. are you from Sac??  i lived there far too long was NEVER happier to get out of city in my life. and it has been referred in various places as a rant.

Yes, he did say that right before he left the stage. That's hardly a rant. As I said before, the rant happened much earlier. 

Yes, I'm from Sac. And I love it here. Sorry you didn't but to each their own. Everyone is different. For example I hate the Bay area. Not so oddly, lots of Bay area and LA transplants have been moving here to escape those overly populated hell holes. I live in the northern foothills of the Sac area, which is a bit different than closer to the city. Like every city in america, there are nice parts and not so nice parts. 

5 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Yes, he did say that right before he left the stage. That's hardly a rant. As I said before, the rant happened much earlier. 

Yes, I'm from Sac. And I love it here. Sorry you didn't but to each their own. Everyone is different. For example I hate the Bay area. Not so oddly, lots of Bay area and LA transplants have been moving here to escape those overly populated hell holes. I live in the northern foothills of the Sac area, which is a bit different than closer to the city. Like every city in america, there are nice parts and not so nice parts. 

potato potahtoe. my point was some of these "rants" or whatever YOU wanna call them were necessary IMO

i didn't mind the city of Sac as much as the people. most i came across were  the kind who thought they were big city when for the most part they were so not. i lived right by Folsom Lake for a while which was cool when it wasn't during a drought when it was more pond than lake. now where i live people from Sac are flocking to and they are messing everything up. luckily i live on a mountain with not a lot of people around. very cool place i see more wild animals ( horses,bunnies etc ) than people and i love it.

• Like 1

Many of Axl's rants were often, in my opinion, the product of his anger.  He seems like a happier person these days, hence I don't see too many coming our way.  Back in the day he was usually beefing with some other band or artist.  During the NuGNR days, it was often directed towards former bandmates.  I suppose the only potential targets for Axl would be music critics or the record labels/industry.  And I suppose let's not forget assholes in the front either throwing stuff or starting fights, but I think we can all agree Axl taking those dip shits to task is understandable and in some cases applauded.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

potato potahtoe. my point was some of these "rants" or whatever YOU wanna call them were necessary IMO

i didn't mind the city of Sac as much as the people. most i came across were  the kind who thought they were big city when for the most part they were so not. i lived right by Folsom Lake for a while which was cool when it wasn't during a drought when it was more pond than lake. now where i live people from Sac are flocking to and they are messing everything up. luckily i live on a mountain with not a lot of people around. very cool place i see more wild animals ( horses,bunnies etc ) than people and i love it.

I don't disagree, it was necessary.

Folsom has really grown in recent years, but more on the other side from where you lived. The drought the past few years certainly took it's toll on the Lake (mostly because they have no clue how to manage how much water they release from it), but it's looking much, much better now. We had a good amount of storms this Fall/Winter, but need the same the next couple seasons. This area generally gets a fair amount of rain to keep everything somewhat green, but that hasn't been happening the past 4-5 years for some reason. Some say global warming, but who knows. Hopefully it gets back to normal.

I haven't been up to where you're at in Reno in about 13 years or so, but we'll be making the drive up in late August. You're exactly right that the outskirts of that area are sparsely populated. The same is true here when you go further North up I5 or I80 past Woodland and Auburn respectively.

I'm assuming you'll be attending the show in SF in August?? I saw them in Vegas, but still can't wait for that show. It's going to be a long 6 weeks....

Edited by thunderram

Just now, thunderram said:

I don't disagree, it was necessary.

Folsom has really grown in recent years, but more on the other side from where you lived. The drought the past few years certainly took it's toll on the Lake (mostly because they have no clue how to manage how much water they release from it), but it's looking much, much better now. We had a good amount of storms this Fall/Winter, but need the same the next couple seasons. This area generally gets a fair amount of rain to keep everything somewhat green, but that hasn't been happening the past 4-5 years for some reason. Some say global warming, but who knows. Hopefully it gets back to normal.

I haven't been up to where you're at in Reno in about 13 years or so, but we'll be making the drive up in late August. You're exactly right that the outskirts of that area are sparsely populated. The same is true here when you go further North up I5 or I80 past Woodland and Auburn respectively.

I'm assuming you'll be attending the show in SF in August?? I saw them in Vegas, but still can't wait for the next show......

if i can.i really want to go see them. i saw them in Vegas too but i wanna see Axl mobile :) 

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

Speak for yourself.

As I indicated in another reply, I always looked forward to his rants and what he was going to talk about next. Didn't bother me at all. And I was far past a teenager by then. Nothing wrong with expressing yourself and being controversial, especially when everyone is there to see you. And it's not like the fans got cheated out of music. They played a long setlist back in those days. Not only that, I think he did it at times when the rest of the band was either taking a break or simply backstage getting some. No big deal.

:headbang:

13 hours ago, RNRS said:

They were never needed and were only really cool if you were 16 years old.

Considering RNR is rooted in teenage angst, I think they were more than fitting. Plus, it showed everyone that he wasn't just doing it for the check. He was a real guy with real issues, like the rest of us.