Rate The Spaghetti Incident

Does anyone consider The Spaghetti Incident to be the band at the peak of their abilities as musicians? Axl's voice sounds amazing on that album (and Sympathy for the Devil) and Slash's tone is beautiful on those cover songs.

I know, the band was falling apart at the seams during this time but I think their aptitude as musicians was really peaking here. That lost 1996 album would have been amazing had they managed to release it.

Aint it Fun is a great cover song as is Sympathy for the Devil (not the most popular opinion here I imagine) 

Edited by RONIN

I have always loved the production on that album. The guitars are immense, drums are a bit more modern than UYI and Axl sounds great. I would also agree that it is a shame it was a covers album and they couldn't have reworked the music Slash put out as the first Snakepit record. Axl on Beggars and Hangers On would have been amazing!

• Like 2

Although I really like the songs on The Spaghetti Incident? and I have played that album on repeat, I never quite understood the purpose it served..were they contractually obliged to release an album over a certain period of time and since they hadn't recorded any new songs, they released this cover album to play tribute to the artists who influenced them? 

Edited by oaka

No way...their Peak was UYI. TSI were just 1:1 covers of mediocre rock songs while KOHD was a complete new Interpretation. They wasted their Peak time with TSI. Instead of TSI there should have been an MTV unplugged, followed by Live era and in 1996 there should have been a 10 song Album with songs like Cure me or kill me, Slither, Fall to pieces, Hangers and beggars, sympathy for the devil (without Tobias), 2 or 3 songs from TSI + 2 or 3 other songs.

• Like 2

TSI is a great album and the sound is absoluty amazing. Slash guitar tone on Since I Don't have is absoluty orgasmqedewds, great tune. Sad that Axl and Slash split up. There were the next big thing and i think the Use Your Illusion thing was too much imo.

Edited by t-p-d-a

Imo TSI is a great album for what it is. Firstly, for the selection of songs (not the obvious punk "hits"). As for the covers themselves, some of them are as good as the originals ("Ain't It Fun", "Human Being") or maybe better ("Black Leather"). Duff's covers and "Since I don't have you" (although it is like the odd one out) are also very good, and the rest of them are decent.

14 minutes ago, oaka said:

Although I really like the songs on The Spaghetti Incident? and I have played that album on repeat, I never quite understood the purpose it served..were they contractually obliged to release an album over a certain period of time and since they hadn't recorded any new songs, they released this cover album to play tribute to the artists who influenced them? 

Almost half of the songs were recorded during the UYI sessions. The original idea was for an EP with punk covers exclusively. Then they decided to make a full album and recorded the rest of the covers during the tour (Duff recorded "You can't put your arms around a memory" by himself along with original songs for his solo album). According to Slash, Izzy hadn't played on the older recordings although he was still in the band, so Gilby recorded rhythm guitar parts for all of the songs.

• Like 2

i think it sounds a lot better than use you illusion (production wise)

illusion are bloated to the extreme, it sounds a bit plastic and too clean

spaghetti rocks more

the musicianship has always been there

to me the peak on musicality involves the 5 guys

nothing beats the 5 guys together, the musicality they had is just unbelievable

izzy and slash together is undefeated to this day

for now we only have the 5 guys on appetite and lies

who knows what the future holds, huh? 

:headbang:

• Like 2

It must have been recorded sometime around the Skin N' Bones tour. IMO that was the best the band ever sounded live.  It certainly could have transferred into the studio.. I bet they had another amazing album in them. 

• Like 2

Tsi is the closest GNR ever came to recapture the energy of appetite. UYI contains too many ballads and random stuff (my world) to be considered in the same league as appetite.

it was all covers, yes, but that's about the "only" negative i can say about this. FWIW, i had never heard any of these songs before.

i found "down on the farm" pretty damn awesome. new rose, aint it fun, i dont care about you, arms around a memory, since i dont have you.... all favorites of mine.

it's also the easiest GNR album to learn on guitar. power chord galore and some epic blues lickes for good measure.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I have always loved the production on that album. The guitars are immense, drums are a bit more modern than UYI and Axl sounds great. I would also agree that it is a shame it was a covers album and they couldn't have reworked the music Slash put out as the first Snakepit record. Axl on Beggars and Hangers On would have been amazing!

Agreed -- the guitars sound amazing. I know Slash and Axl scrubbed out Izzy's guitars completely and added Gilby into it but even that can't detract from the sound and production of this album. It sounds so much better produced than UYI and the drums are great -- they don't have that awful metallic sound anymore.

Sorum's drumming on Sympathy along with Axl's vocals are excellent. Such an underrated song and era for GnR.

I have a soft spot for TSI. I was only like 8 yrs old when it came out... I had already  been into GNR for a few years and was obsessed with appetite, lies, and UYI 1&2. I remember asking my mom if she knew if GNR were ever going to put out a new album. she said she had no idea but she called Blockbuster Music. they informed her that a new album, the Spaghetti Incident, was about to come out in just a few weeks. I obsessed over it when I got my hands on it, and wanted to hear the originals. that's how I got into the misfits, which introduced me to punk rock... which changed my life, my way of thinking, the friends I chose, you get the idea. that album isn't the best GNR album, but I'll always love it for nostalgic reasons. I agree with the comments about the production on TSI vs UYI... definitely much better here.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of songs that I feel are better than the originals (Black Leather, Human Being, Buick Mackane) and the others are just fun to listen to

I feel like the two strongest points of the album are Slash's guitar tone and Axl's voice.  

I agree with most of what has  been posted so far:

- The album features the best production and mixing of all the GNR discography. Slash's tone is as creamy as it gets, and Matt's drums sound the best they ever have.

- Performance wise, they are at the top of their game. As he will on SFTD, Matt steals the show for me. What a great drummer he was, despite his awful "mashed rice" live solo and his terrible sound during the UYI tour might have suggested. Axl is the other star that shines the brightest here. Diverse and amzingly powerful vocals all accross the board here.

- Many of the songs are as good as the originals, and for some, they are even better. I'm a huge Dead Boys / RFTT fan but I think GNR's rendition of AIF is the definitive version of the song. And bonus points for it being a duet with Mike Monroe. Other remarkable highlights for me are Down on the Farm, Hair of the Dog, Buick MacKane and Black Leather.

I know it's the most predictable thing to be posted on a fan forum, but man, this album doesn't deserve the level of criticism or ignorance it often gets.

"Yup, we're fucked"

Edited by EvH

I think it was an unnecessary album and an example of the excess and bloat that ripped the band apart - a bad idea that grew out of control because nobody knew how to say no to the band. Best case scenario the band should have chosen the three strongest tracks and recorded them for bonus tracks on singles

I bought the album on school trip in Budapest. Boy I was happy to put my hands on it :)

I like it a lot. Band at its peak, great production and sound. 8/10. It would be 10 if these were not covers.

Like it was with many gnr covers, these are almoust all better then originals IMO.

My favs: Aint it fun, Black Leather, Down on the Farm, Buick Makane, Hair of the Dog, Cant Put Your Arms.

Retrospectively, it may feel as unneeded album, just because it happened they didnt make original album at their peak and did split up. Album itself is great.

I enjoy listening TSI, dont like SFTD.

Edited by MisterNo

5/10 being generous. Don't care how they sound individually as musicians, the collection of songs is just a bit weak. Some great stuff and some really great performances, especially Axl on Since I Don't Have You, bit still not a good record.

I always thought that most of the songs were recorded during the UYI sessions, with Gilby adding his parts later to replace Izzy's parts. They were already thinking about releasing a cover album while recording UYI. I think they put it out to give the fans something to chew on because everyone knew that if they would ever put out a new album it would probably take a very long time. Even Slash said at the time that this wasn't really a new album but just some leftover songs they did when they were recording UYI. So I  think production wise and musician wise most of these songs shouldn't sound very different from UYI. Also, the record company might wanted to exploit the ''punk'' nature of most of the covers seeing as grunge and more alternative music in rock was hot at the time. 

Edited by EvanG