Interview With Axl

AxlsFavoriteRose

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On June 29, 2016 at 1:43 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i just stumbled across this in an old email account i have. don't know if this is where to put it so if it needs to be moved...anyway i love it!

I find it interesting around the 1:50 mark he mentions he doesn't want to be known for AFD, is sick of it and just wants to bury it. 25 year later he's still mostly known for that album (and UYI), but mostly AFD.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mararoyce said:

I find it interesting around the 1:50 mark he mentions he doesn't want to be known for AFD, is sick of it and just wants to bury it. 25 year later he's still mostly known for that album (and UYI), but mostly AFD.

Bury Appetite, bet he wishes he never said that. I was worried over the years, and particularly after hearing Chinese Democracy, that Axl is just not into proper straight up rock n roll, such as AFD, any more. Thank god his little stint with ACDC proves he still does dig that type of music. We can only hope he wants to make another proper rock album again. I have my fingers crossed :lol:

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Mararoyce said:

In a later interview (I can't find it now), Axl said that this phrase was misunderstood. He didn't mean that he didn't like AFD and its music style anymore, but that he didn't want GnR to be an one good album band; moreover radio DJs were saying that they were bored having to play the same AFD songs, so the band had to move on and do something new.

Also these bits from other 1989 interviews:

....Aren't you afraid that some people may be turned off by the band straying from the sound that got them on top?

- We're not getting away from hard rock. Our basic root is hard rock, a bit heavier than the Stones, more in a vein like Aerosmith, Draw the Line- type stuff. We love loud guitars.

The most important songs at this point are the ones with piano, the ballads, because we haven't really explored that side of the band yet. They're also the most difficult songs to do - not difficult to play, but to write and pull out of ourselves. The beautiful music is what really makes me feel like an artist. The other, heavier stuff also makes me feel like an artist and can be difficult to write.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=3

...We want to define ourselves. Appetite was a cornerstone, a place to start. That was like ‘Here’s our land, and we just put a stake in the ground. Now we’re going to build something.

http://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-i-ii-album-anniversary/

And this from 1992:

HP: As you look back on the Use Your Illusion albums with a little perspective, are you still glad that you released so much material at one time?
AXL: Slash and I were just discussing that this morning, and there’s no way we regret it. We’re very proud of what we’ve done. We had planned on doing that even before we had done our first album. We didn’t know that it would include quite as many songs, but we knew we had to bury Appetite in some way. There was no way to out-do that album, and if we didn’t out-do Appetite in one way or another it was going to take away from our success and the amount of power we had gained to do what we wanted.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=146

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

On 2 October 2016 at 9:10 PM, Blackstar said:

In a later interview (I can't find it now), Axl said that this phrase was misunderstood. He didn't mean that he didn't like AFD and its music style anymore, but that he didn't want GnR to be an one good album band; moreover radio DJs were saying that they were bored having to play the same AFD songs, so the band had to move on and do something new.

Also these bits from other 1989 interviews:

....Aren't you afraid that some people may be turned off by the band straying from the sound that got them on top?

- We're not getting away from hard rock. Our basic root is hard rock, a bit heavier than the Stones, more in a vein like Aerosmith, Draw the Line- type stuff. We love loud guitars.

The most important songs at this point are the ones with piano, the ballads, because we haven't really explored that side of the band yet. They're also the most difficult songs to do - not difficult to play, but to write and pull out of ourselves. The beautiful music is what really makes me feel like an artist. The other, heavier stuff also makes me feel like an artist and can be difficult to write.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=3

...We want to define ourselves. Appetite was a cornerstone, a place to start. That was like ‘Here’s our land, and we just put a stake in the ground. Now we’re going to build something.

http://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-i-ii-album-anniversary/

And this from 1992:

HP: As you look back on the Use Your Illusion albums with a little perspective, are you still glad that you released so much material at one time?
AXL: Slash and I were just discussing that this morning, and there’s no way we regret it. We’re very proud of what we’ve done. We had planned on doing that even before we had done our first album. We didn’t know that it would include quite as many songs, but we knew we had to bury Appetite in some way. There was no way to out-do that album, and if we didn’t out-do Appetite in one way or another it was going to take away from our success and the amount of power we had gained to do what we wanted.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=146

Great compilation of quotes. Thanks!

the way i see it Axl had a very valid point, he just expressed it in maybe not the best way. if they had released another AFD clone  we would never have had such great songs such as Estranged, November Rain, Coma and many others. Axl did not want to be pigeon holed and growth and change are an essential part of the success of a band...of anything really. Axl was never one to not say what he was thinking. i went to the Vegas concert wanting to hear AFD and UYI 1 & 2 songs and was interested in seeing what Slash brought to some of the CD songs. i actually am now a fan of several CD songs. now that time has passed i like seeing Axl take enjoyment in the AFD songs but i am glad he has stretched out and did not remain stagnant by sticking to the AFD "formula". JMO :)

• Like 2