Riverport Riot: An Oral History of the Guns N' Roses Show That Sated St. Louis' Appetite for Destruction

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/the-day-riverport-rioted/Content?oid=3082526

nice long write up with the promoter, D.J.s, Bill Stump, and more people who were there. 

I know this seems like its beating a dead horse at this point, but i just figure it would be an interesting read for those infatuated with the crazy side of Axl

Interesting things you may or may not know: 

-GNR was only the 3rd event to ever happen at the River Port Amphitheater

-The show was booked in January, security knew about the hype of GNR and Axls late starts and were worried he would come on late. 

-Steve Schankman, co-founder of the production company running the show had no idea who GNR was. He thought they were a record company.

-Schankman explains that they brought in more security for the night, but explains that they did that for ever hard rock show that came through the area, citing Metallica and Lollapalooza.

-One security guard mentioned that it wasn't a particularly rough night in the crowd, and they were kinda letting the crowd do their own thing. 

-Bill "Stump" Stephenson (The infamous man with the camera) says he handed Axl a card saying "Welcome to St. Louis" with his MC logo on the back.. He said he had done this with plenty of bands before and they enjoyed it, where as Axl just kind of threw it to the side

-Schankman says security never had a problem with Bill being at all the shows, but he mentions some rumor that the motorcycle club Stump was apart of had some heat with Axl. But he says its just a rumor. 

-Stump said he had been taken pictures the whole night and didnt think anything was wrong. 

-One security guard mentions that when he finally realized that Axl was trying to get a camera removed and it wasn't part of the song, he looked up and Axl had already flew off the stage and was punching Stump. (this has been my personal opinion since ive known about this... Axl gave the security absolutely no time to even get Stump.) 

-Stump says he saw Axl pointing at him, so he moved a little to the left then to the right, and Axl followed him with his finger. He then handed the camera off to his friend in the row behind him and by the time he turned around Axl was mid-flight. He landed on top of Stump and they went over a row of chairs. Axl then slapped a security guard. 

Edited by KeyserSoze

This is when "Stump" hands Axl the card:

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Axl started showing up late starting at the Saratoga Springs show. Nothing I've seen said they went on 2 hours late at Alpine Valley.

Edited by Crazyman